2019 MLB Playoffs thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2019 MLB Playoffs thread

i will say it again.. go back to the old rules of foul balls matter.. once you get 2 strikes you get 2-3 more and thats it. watching a batter take bad swings and starters run out of pitch counts is bad and boring..

you eliminate 20 pitches a game that dont matter per pitcher and thats 20-30 min saved.

i will say it again.. go back to the old rules of foul balls matter.. once you get 2 strikes you get 2-3 more and thats it. watching a batter take bad swings and starters run out of pitch counts is bad and boring..

you eliminate 20 pitches a game that dont matter per pitcher and thats 20-30 min saved.

The problem I see with batters taking bad swings is two-fold. First, batters are taught today to wait for a single pitch and drive it with a mega-cut. So they resort to trying to guess what's coming. So they either drive it over the fence or strike out. Both of which are on the increase these days.

The other problem is the uncertainty of what's a strike. There's too much inconsistency from one ump to the next (yes, I know it's always been that way). It's not quite as bad as Greg Maddux getting 6" off the outside corner (which he got for years), but the last few years with Aaron Judge getting terrible low strike calls have exposed the problem yet again. At one point I thought he deserved a Nobel Peace Prize for not going apeshit over bad call after bad call after bad call. There's gotta be a way to bring in technology to create a more consistent strike zone.

I think the umpires actually do a fairly good job of calling strikes and balls (with a few notable excpetions). It's an extremely hard job to be consistent around the black. Right around the black they are not 100%, but at a fairly good rate. And they are calling it in air. Think of Basketball refs who screw up calls in the circle or other areas where the boundary is clearly defined. Umps don't have that.

Umps also have to deal with directives from MLB at certain times on a changing strike zone. That is not easy to change when implemented.

Despite all of the above. why baseball has not went to an automated strike zone is beyond me.

I like those long battles in a close game. But I can also see how people have a different view of them.

I am not even sure that rule ever existed -- I think at one time it may have been you are out if the third strike is a foul ball. I know they tinkered alot with ball and strike rules in the 70's to the 90;s -- the 1870's to the 1890's that is.

Last edited:
These are the Washington Nats:

View attachment 171566

This is Walgreens:

View attachment 171567

Carry on...

They stole the symbol like they stole my team in 2004.

I am not really any bitter about Washington anymore. I use to hate them. But I am certain;y not celebrating the Expos / Nationals franchise first World Series in its 51st year of existence.

I am not sure if there are other fans here who were fans of a team that moved, (and you were a fan of that team in part of location). Did you move on to become a fan of the other franchise.

Perhaps some of you have parents who were Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants fans. Did they remain fans of the Los Angeles Dodgers / San Francisco Giants?

They stole the symbol like they stole my team in 2004.

I am not really any bitter about Washington anymore. I use to hate them. But I am certain;y not celebrating the Expos / Nationals franchise first World Series in its 51st year of existence.

I am not sure if there are other fans here who were fans of a team that moved, (and you were a fan of that team in part of location). Did you move on to become a fan of the other franchise.

Perhaps some of you have parents who were Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants fans. Did they remain fans of the Los Angeles Dodgers / San Francisco Giants?
Montreal has a good shot at getting the Rays.
Washington had the Senators taken from them when they moved to Minnesota and became the Twins.
Montreal got robbed in 1994.

The Rays going to Montreal honestly is good for everyone.
I hate the Trop. It’s the worst visiting stadium I have ever visited.
Montreal would get Toronto, and New York/Boston as division foes.

I think after 2003 it would work.

If I am Hinch I go Greinke game 4 and Verlander game 5.
That way whomever your 4th starter is gets matched up with Yankees bullpen day.

You've just given the Red Sox the 86 series with that.

Good pitching - like the Nats have - makes the games go faster.

Outside the playoffs but Joe Maddon is a home run hire for the Angels. That guy doesn't manage losing teams.

Yankee Stadium playoff game at night is like LSU Death Valley at night.
It’s the toughest atmosphere to win in.
Houston got lucky game 3 was in the afternoon. That stadium doesn’t have the same juice in the afternoon.

Outside the playoffs but Joe Maddon is a home run hire for the Angels. That guy doesn't manage losing teams.
well, he will next year if the angels don't drastically upgrade their pitching

Washington has the pitching to beat Houston if the Astros finish off the Yankees.
You need power arm RHP to beat Houston.
The Astros struggle with power arm RHP.
Schrezer and Strasburg would be interesting.
Houston needs to win tonight or they won't have Cole-Verlander games 1 and 2.

New York needs to actually spend some money on starting pitching. Even with German and Severino they are one SP short. Now watch Paxton throw 6 shutout tonight.

probably won't line up this way, but what would be a better story than a scherzer vs verlander game 7?

Aaron Boone is a terrible manager.
Plays his infield at double play depth in the 6th.

Judge killed them in the 7th though.
Brian Cashman didn’t trade for Stroman because he couldn’t help them be a difference maker in a playoff series but they had to start an opener in an elimination game.

Boone is such a terrible manager.
Yankees downgraded from Girardi from Boone.

Wow... we got a series again.
If this game goes 12 or 13, it will be interesting to see who pitches.

I blame James Harden and Russell Westbrook standing up behind home plate trying to get TV time.
Those guys haven’t won squat and cursed the astros.

Osuna is a scumbag so he deserves that.
Astros closer is their worst reliever.

No he is not their worse reliever. He had a great season, with a WHIP of 0.88. And he has been good this postseason.prior to tonight.

Agreed though he is a terrible person, and do not feel bad that he blew it.. Feel bad the Astros blew it however.

No he is not their worse reliever. He had a great season, with a WHIP of 0.88. And he has been good this postseason.prior to tonight.

Agreed though he is a terrible person, and do not feel bad that he blew it.. Feel bad the Astros blew it however.
He wasn’t good in the game 2 of ALDS.
Altuve just walked off Chapman.

He wasn’t good in the game 2 of ALDS.
Altuve just walked off Chapman.

In 6 appearances in this year's playoffs he has an ERA of 1.35, and had only allowed 5 baserunners in 6 2/3 innings.

In 4 innings against the Yankees this series (Coming into tonight), he had an ERA of 0.00, with a WHIP of 0.25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom