2019 NHL playoffs | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NHL playoffs

It’s the playoffs, everything should be reviewable. Or, at the very least, all scoring plays. Like Steve said, they gave Meier the assist. That’s just absurd.

All four officials are done for the playoffs. Sent home. That says a lot. So does FanDuel returning the money for anyone who bet on the Blues.

Problem is, I don’t think the Blues will recover. This will be the thing that finally gets to Binnington.

I expect a blowout tonight, probably for the Sharks. If the Blues get the blowout, though, they’ll win the series. I’m just not confident they’ll overcome this type of adversity.

I disagree with this - I think that the same rules should apply to the regular and post-season. It's hard to say when and where to draw the line on replays - as it stands, I think it's silly that a zone entry 30 seconds prior to a goal, in which a player who had nothing to do with the goal may have been 6 inches offsides, can be replayed, but a goal in which a player bats a puck out of the air with a high stick to a teammate, who then scores, can't.

The refs can’t review if the puck came off the netting and the teams scored.
The Bruins gave up a goal to the Blue Jackets because the refs missed the puck going into the netting and coming back on to the ice and Columbus scoring.
That wasn’t reviewable.

The league is stupid sometimes. I am sure Sabres fans aren’t over the Brett Hull game in 1999.

Last edited:
The Sharks have benefitted from the refs 3 times now.
Game 7 against Vegas
Game 7 against Colorado
Game 3 against St. Louis

Refs need to screw them on a call.

Would you have me believe those were the only calls that were missed - or just let go - in those games/series? If you think SJ has benefited unfairly, you need to watch the Boston games more closely and see the shtt they've been getting away with. :)

Rod Brind'Amour said it best:

“I heard (Carolina coach) Rod Brind’amour speak out about it, and I thought he said it best: those things happen so quickly on the ice, and there are so many bodies flying around and there are split-second decisions and it’s easy when we sit there on the bench or you guys look at a TV monitor and criticize and hold people accountable for errors that happen in milliseconds,” DeBoer said."

Would you have me believe those were the only calls that were missed - or just let go - in those games/series? If you think SJ has benefited unfairly, you need to watch the Boston games more closely and see the shtt they've been getting away with. :)

“I heard (Carolina coach) Rod Brind’amour speak out about it, and I thought he said it best: those things happen so quickly on the ice, and there are so many bodies flying around and there are split-second decisions and it’s easy when we sit there on the bench or you guys look at a TV monitor and criticize and hold people accountable for errors that happen in milliseconds,” DeBoer said."
Yes. The major call against the Golden Knights in game 7 decided the series.
The Knights were up 3-0 and the refs called a 5 minute major over a 2 minute minor.
The sharks scored 4 goals off that major. That chit call swung that game.

The refs have been benefited the Sharks 3 times those refs swung games.

They're going to run out of officials at this rate. :) But truthfully they're being scapegoated because the job has grown closer to impossible. First, NHL officials are like all others, in that no one wants the right call more than they do. But the speed of the players and thus the game has increased so dramatically they officials can't catch it all. They need to move to the international ice surface so there's better separation between the players, which also allows for better play, but also helps the refs to better see the play.

Beyond that is the inverted snobbery that says, "This is a man's game and real men don't need rules and refs!" That's something that has been a problem for a long time. I think the playoffs should be played with the same rules as the regular season, or otherwise the regular season means nothing. But this is why I think the refs are being scapegoated: They're told to "let the players decide the game" which means they're reluctant to blow the whistle for only blatant infractions. And when it's all over, they have no voice with which to respond.

I don't mind seeing all this blow up in Bettman's face. He's been a smug jackwad for far too long. But the owners are making more $$$ than ever, so they all support him almost implicitly. Or at least they have up to now.

Here's a good article here about the whole affair:

We’ll see how DeBoer and his players respond when the skate is on the other foot.

Well, well, well, look what I found:

Well, well, well, look what I found:

Okay, surely you're not surprised when a coach advocates for his team?

And anyway, as a Blackhawks fan I don't actually hate the Blues like some, they're just another team. Although I'm still bugged at them for 2016. Brian Elliott never played that well before or since. :mad: I'm pulling for the Sharks or the Blues against Boston.

Last edited:
Yes. The major call against the Golden Knights in game 7 decided the series.
The Knights were up 3-0 and the refs called a 5 minute major over a 2 minute minor.
The sharks scored 4 goals off that major. That chit call swung that game.

The refs have been benefited the Sharks 3 times those refs swung games.

Have you ever seen anything like that ever, anywhere else before? No. Same for the hand pass. It's a freak play that's never happened in that situation before.

I'm not disputing the point about the Pavelski play. Everyone knows that was the wrong call. The problem is it came at the worst possible time. However I am telling you that there are lots of calls that have been missed or let go both ways, any of which could have decided the outcome of the game. I don't know why it's been much more pronounced in the playoffs this year, other than there's been a collective dismissal of the rule book.

And I assume you haven't watched any of the Boston games.

I disagree with this - I think that the same rules should apply to the regular and post-season. It's hard to say when and where to draw the line on replays - as it stands, I think it's silly that a zone entry 30 seconds prior to a goal, in which a player who had nothing to do with the goal may have been 6 inches offsides, can be replayed, but a goal in which a player bats a puck out of the air with a high stick to a teammate, who then scores, can't.

Agreed. It's truly bizarre how an offside call on a zone entry can be called on replay even if it was a minute or so in the past and can cancel a goal. But a goal-scoring play right in front of them, RFN, in real time can't? The NHL has never been blessed with intelligence at the top. For decades it was run by coaches and GMs who all all came up through the junior system (read: didn't even finish HS). Some of that mentality lingers on today, despite how the game itself has progressed.

Okay, surely you're not surprised when a coach advocates for his team?

And anyway, as a Blackhawks fan I don't actually hate the Blues like some, they're just another team. Although I'm still bugged at them for 2016. Brian Elliott never played that well before or since. :mad: I'm pulling for the Sharks or the Blues against Boston.
You’re all over the place.

I don’t have a problem with expanding replay for both the regular season and playoffs.

Technically, the rules are already different. Just look at overtime.

It’s the playoffs, everything should be reviewable. Or, at the very least, all scoring plays. Like Steve said, they gave Meier the assist. That’s just absurd.

All four officials are done for the playoffs. Sent home. That says a lot. So does FanDuel returning the money for anyone who bet on the Blues.

Problem is, I don’t think the Blues will recover. This will be the thing that finally gets to Binnington.

I expect a blowout tonight, probably for the Sharks. If the Blues get the blowout, though, they’ll win the series. I’m just not confident they’ll overcome this type of adversity.
I've been a Blues fan since the Garry Unger/Red Berenson/Plager brothers days. I've rooted for them all for almost 50 years. The Blues had a couple chances at an empty net goal in the last two minutes of regulation before the Sharks scored with 56 second left. I knew the Blues weren't going to win in OT. They had no momentum at that time. I wasn't even going to watch the OT and obviously very sorry I did.

I've been a Blues fan since the Garry Unger/Red Berenson/Plager brothers days. I've rooted for them all for almost 50 years. The Blues had a couple chances at an empty net goal in the last two minutes of regulation before the Sharks scored with 56 second left. I knew the Blues weren't going to win in OT. They had no momentum at that time. I wasn't even going to watch the OT and obviously very sorry I did.

I liked Unger, and also Bernie Federko (watched him play junior) and Blair Chapman, Wayne Babych and Brian Sutter. I understand the frustration, for it's true the result of the game was determined by that play because it was OT. But the game itself was much more than just that one play.

I liked Unger, and also Bernie Federko (watched him play junior) and Blair Chapman, Wayne Babych and Brian Sutter. I understand the frustration, for it's true the result of the game was determined by that play because it was OT. But the game itself was much more than just that one play.
Would love to know the win % when a team has a one goal lead and the team that is losing pulls it's goalie. Has to be over 95%. Game never should have went to OT.

Agreed. They should have been up by at least two goals, even before the Sharks pulled Jones. Maybe the Sharks would have won anyway, but they should not have won on that play.

Wish the Habs got O’ Reilly but I think Sabres wanted to much at the time... Really under rated player. I think I’m pulling for St. Louis.

Would love to know the win % when a team has a one goal lead and the team that is losing pulls it's goalie. Has to be over 95%. Game never should have went to OT.
You probably know this, but the Blues haven’t scored an empty netter since March 31st. Over 12 minutes against an empty net in the postseason and nothing to show for it.

You probably know this, but the Blues haven’t scored an empty netter since March 31st. Over 12 minutes against an empty net in the postseason and nothing to show for it.
Add two more minutes to that. Nothing is easy but it's best of three at this point. Meanwhile the Bruins are sitting home getting rusty.

Dont forget Gino Cavellini

Dont forget Gino Cavellini
Or his brother, Paul.

Blues fans gave Tarasenko the “Tank” nickname when he was a rookie. He didn’t like it, so they changed it to “Frank”. He didn’t like that either.

Watching a couple WCF games in a row now I actually think the Blues would be a tougher matchup for the Bruins than San Jose.
The Blues play like an Eastern Conference scrappy defensive first team with the goal scorer on the top line.

The Sharks don’t play defensive well I am convinced the Bruins would get goals against them as the defensemen look to score a lot and give up transition chances.

Blues would be low scoring series and games could flip.
Sharks would be shootouts.

If you think SJ has benefited unfairly, you need to watch the Boston games more closely and see the shtt they've been getting away with. :)
Marchand in particular.

Marchand in particular.
Marchand is really the only clown on. Boston.
Which is disappointing because he is a great player.
Outside of his own incident with Columbus in game 3 he has been clean this year.

Bergeron is one of those guys the entire league respects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom