2019 NY Football Giants Season .. | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NY Football Giants Season ..

Jints were wise not to match/outbid Rhule's 7 year/$60M deal with Carolina.

That's a gargantuan risk for the Panthers, no matter how great his college track record is.

It is a risk but the Panthers are owned by a hedge fund guy and that $60 mil is walking around money for him.

You never know how these coaching hires will work out. Four years ago when the Eagles hired Pederson I was completely underwhelmed as were most Eagle fans.

On the surface though this looks like a big gamble for the NYG. As others have said, the OC and DC are critical to Judge's success but taking a guy with no head coaching experience in college or the NFL is rather risky. I know I've said it before but the Belichick coaching tree is not very impressive and yet teams keep going back to the well assuming these guys have some sort of magic pixie dust. We'll see.

It is a risk but the Panthers are owned by a hedge fund guy and that $60 mil is walking around money for him.

True. But it's not like Mara & Tisch are rubbin' pennies together.

I guess u could say that for every NFL owner. But Tepper's #1 by far.

Yeah, it's more Tepper's credibility than the dollar value.

Big risk putting Rhule so high on the NFL HC salary list.

Almost doubling his Baylor salary for his first crack at the NFL.

Rhule's agent is elite.

I think the NYG are taking a bigger risk than the Panthers. Rhule turned around two moribund programs in a heartbeat. Judge? Some times u get what u pay for.

The fact that the Giants were onto this decision before Rhule even interviewed, and that they didn’t respond to Rhule’s call, gives me some confidence.

Hey, you never know.

I think the NYG are taking a bigger risk than the Panthers. Rhule turned around two moribund programs in a heartbeat. Judge? Some times u get what u pay for.
they paid stupidly.

i was all in on Rhule so i will remain on the side of hes a good coach, but he was a gamble and not at that price point, especially since they hadnt even interviewed him yet.

Judge is certainly a gamble, but im ok with it.

Rivera and McCarthy are not gambles, they just plain suck...and are true stupid hires.

they paid stupidly.

i was all in on Rhule so i will remain on the side of hes a good coach, but he was a gamble and not at that price point, especially since they hadnt even interviewed him yet.

Rivera and McCarthy are not gambles, they just plain suck...and are true stupid hires.

No doubt the Panthers def overpaid but the only implication is for Tepper's wallet. Not like there is a salary cap for coaches.

No doubt the Panthers def overpaid but the only implication is for Tepper's wallet. Not like there is a salary cap for coaches.
most definetly.

and lets not forget, Mara is poor.

his only source of income is the Giants.

most definetly.

and lets not forget, Mara is poor.

his only source of income is the Giants.
I'm heartbroken. I'm sorry. This is a terrible choice. Remember when the Vikings hired a S.T.'s guy? How did that work out? I honestly don't know what the Giants are thinking here.

they paid stupidly.

The price point is completely irrelevant. You're trying to tell me that is a factor in any fashion when it's the same price as a starting caliber guard and not one that is even above average. Teams are dumb for not going way above and beyond to secure the best personnel available.

I'm heartbroken. I'm sorry. This is a terrible choice. Remember when the Vikings hired a S.T.'s guy? How did that work out? I honestly don't know what the Giants are thinking here.

How did it work out for the Ravens?

they paid stupidly.

I value your opinion, so why do you think both hires suck? I'm with you on McCarthy who, among other things, always seemed at odds with his GM. I see it as a desperate move by Jerr-uh to win an SB before being called to that Great Oil Derrick In The Sky. He's hoping for one more gusher.

But Rivera seems like a distinct upgrade for the Redskins. Too bad, though that Snyder is their owner and they don't have a lot of great players.

I don't understand the Judge hire at all. Yes, Belichick envisioned giving him more responsibility, but not THIS much responsibility. If ownership feels the need to cloak him in the cocoon of other former HC's, the rumors will likely be flying after their first preseason loss. OTOH, maybe he can make Dixon a Pro Bowl punter...

How did it work out for the Ravens?

Harbaugh gave every sign of being ready to be a Head Coach. I was screaming on this board for him to be P's replacement (or was it Gerg's?). Yes, it could work out, but all I see is the likelihood that Gettleman is gone after next season, and the new GM will have a short leash on this not-so-young pup. Clip 'n save.

Last edited:
high risk high reward.

you think it is a good hire?

I'd say it 100% depends on his staff. Pedigree is there to be the CEO, success will be determined by his staff whom I have to imagine was spelled out during the interview process. I think unless you wanted to go re-tread that he has as much of a shot at success as anyone else that was available.

I'd say it 100% depends on his staff. Pedigree is there to be the CEO, success will be determined by his staff whom I have to imagine was spelled out during the interview process. I think unless you wanted to go re-tread that he has as much of a shot at success as anyone else that was available.
I wanted McCarthy. Short of that, a wanted someone who ran a defense or a offense. I think you get a better idea of what kind of coach someone will be. Honestly, I'm stunned by this hire.

'Pedigree is there to be the CEO'...please explain. Because he coached under Belichick? He wasn't even the most sought-after candidate on Belichick's staff. Because he comes from a family of coaches...or CEO's? I honestly don't understand your point.

If there's one thing we don't know, it's whether he has the pedigree (or the chops) to be a Head Coach. I mean, Matt Patricia has that same pedigree. Right?

I wanted McCarthy. Short of that, a wanted someone who ran a defense or a offense. I think you get a better idea of what kind of coach someone will be. Honestly, I'm stunned by this hire.

I was too. I'm not really buying any of the stuff about him being the preference over Rhule given the timing and everything that was out there. The people saying McCarthy and Rivera were bad hires are delusional. They were both as good as candidates as there were available. Comparing them to Garrett is laughable. Key here is to bring in 1 if not 2 guys as coordinators that have HC experience to help ease the transition.

'Pedigree is there to be the CEO'...please explain. Because he coached under Belichick? He wasn't even the most sought-after candidate on Belichick's staff. Because he comes from a family of coaches...or CEO's? I honestly don't understand your point.

If there's one thing we don't know, it's whether he has the pedigree (or the chops) to be a Head Coach. I mean, Matt Patricia has that same pedigree. Right?

He came up under both the most successful NCAA coach in history and most successful NFL coach in history. I believe that pedigree is the proper word to use for that situation. If you watched the Saban/Bill thing on HBO you would be aware of the relationship that those 2 have and if Saban recommended a guy to Belichick than it's not a coincidence that that guy is now a head coach at 38.

I was too. I'm not really buying any of the stuff about him being the preference over Rhule given the timing and everything that was out there. The people saying McCarthy and Rivera were bad hires are delusional. They were both as good as candidates as there were available. Comparing them to Garrett is laughable. Key here is to bring in 1 if not 2 guys as coordinators that have HC experience to help ease the transition.
Staff is key but you still have to have the man at the top. Time will tell.