2019 Yankees Thread... | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Yankees Thread...

I was wasting time on Baseball Prospectus today and noticed how much better the Mets' starting pitchers have been than the Yankees' starting pitchers so far this season. Here are their WARP (Wins Above Replacement Player) values followed by their DRA (Deserved Run Average) values. I have no point to make, this is just an observation.

Mets
Syndergaard: 3.01 2.58
deGrom: 2.93 2.13
Wheeler: 2.59 2.85
Matz: 1.60 3.32
Vargas: 0.25 5.12

Yankees
German (on IL): 1.63 3.51
Paxton: 1.04 3.59
Tanaka: 0.8 4.60
Happ: -0.18 5.86
Sabathia: -0.31 6.16
They promised me there would be no math. :(

Statistics and quantative analysis are editing the fun out of baseball.
I couldn't disagree more. It astounds me that anyone would prefer to have less information to more information about about what one is watching. It is a fitting opinion in Trump's America though.

I couldn't disagree more. It astounds me that anyone would prefer to have less information to more information about about what one is watching. It is a fitting opinion in Trump's America though.

Statistics said Bill Buckner was the right first baseman for the Mets to have on the field at that moment. Statistics wouldn't have let Kirk Gibson anywhere near the plate in the '88 series. Statistics said the '71 Pirates had no chance against Baltimore's four 20-game winners. I watch the games to see the players play, not the managers manage. But, different strokes for different folks.

And I'm ignoring your absurd Trump allusion.

I watch the games to see the players play, not the managers manage.
Those aren't mutually exclusive. You can still watch players play. How is having access to more information making that less fun?

Last edited:
Those aren't mutually exclusive. You can still watch players play. How is having access to more information making that less fun?
I'm pro access to more info and analysis.

I do feel that it is very frequently misapplied.

I'm pro access to more info and analysis.

I do feel that it is very frequently misapplied.
Of course, but we are at least at the point where front-offices and managers know at what they are looking. Media and fans have catching-up to do. I am glad that the days of managers making decisions based on five at-bat sample-sizes are mostly over.

Yankees I mean Railriders are playing in Rochester June 23 and 24th. Might take a ride up the Thruway if Stanton and Judge are still with the team. Guessing they will be with the big club by then though.

Yankees I mean Railriders are playing in Rochester June 23 and 24th. Might take a ride up the Thruway if Stanton and Judge are still with the team. Guessing they will be with the big club by then though.
Stanton is supposed to be there for only 3 games. Judge for a longer period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom