2020-2021 NY Knicks Season Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020-2021 NY Knicks Season Thread

I'll stop when you stop with the "tank" BS. Teams don't do that. They just don't.

Fine. How do u explain Toppin not starting and not getting into the game until just under 2 mins to go in the first quarter.

Fine. How do u explain Toppin not starting and not getting into the game until just under 2 mins to go in the first quarter.

He’s a forward and he’s not as good as Randle or Barrett?

He’s a rookie and it’s the second preseason game.

Starting isn’t that big of a deal. Especially for a rookie. In the preseason. Of his rookie year.

Calm down.

Maybe he's not quite ready? Or maybe other players are better at this point? Or maybe the coach is trying to look at players for his final roster? Plenty of answers to your question.

Free Agents LOVE going to teams that will bench you for a rookie that’s not as good as you and hasn’t done anything to earn it.

Knicks are trying to establish some semblance of credibility, which is in their best interest. No big time free agent wants any part of the clown show they’ve been.

Free Agents LOVE going to teams that will bench you for a rookie that’s not as good as you.

Knicks are trying to establish some semblance of credibility, which is in their best interest. No big time free agent wants any part of the clown show they’ve been.

Having Thibs as HC cost us any chance at Karl Anthony Towns. KAT hates him.

Having Thibs as HC cost us any chance at Karl Anthony Towns. KAT hates him.

And being the Knicks has cost you any chance at anyone else for half a decade.

No summer league, a very short training camp/preseason and youre griping that they aren’t handing a starting spot to a rookie. Hilarious/ridiculous. This year, more than any other in history, is the most difficult for a rookie ever...especially at this point. It’s a long season. If he’s got the goods, he’ll get better and show it over time.

Barret needs to get more efficient. I can’t afford to have bad shots.

Why? Coaches making rookies earn more minutes. Motivating them to learn and improve on specific areas and the rewards are more minutes.

Many coaches do this -- such as Nick Nurse who is a pretty good coach. Most players are motivated to get better, but sometimes they need direction / focus on what exactly it is they need to focus on improving.

Last edited:
Hey Pal. You play the young guys who don't know what they are doing out there while entertaining your fans with the highlights and future flashes like Robinson, Barrett, and Toppin etc will show. You don't play seasoned NBA players like Julius Randle who is our best player you play him until you trade him for future draft/player assets, and you don't sign one year guys like Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, and Elfrid Peyton who will be playing for their next contracts so they have incentive to play well and then we win 1 or 2 more games that could cost us ping pong balls and lose out on a generational prospect like Cade Cunningham and the following year Emoni Bates. That is Magic Johnson, and Lebron James in back to back drafts.
You realize NBA teams need to actually fill a full roster, right?

Guys, for the sake of the thread. I'm begging you. Ignore CuseRunner and focus on what is truly important: A bad basketball team!
i either have to give up the forum drinking game, or stop reading this thread in the morning. otherwise i'll be wasted by 10 am

Last edited:
I think knicks should have just signed a bunch of undrafted free agents and sent guys like Randle to the bench or back to kentucky. Send an important message to the fans the knicks are in complete rebuild and we are only playing 0-3 year experience players for all 72 games.

I think knicks should have just signed a bunch of undrafted free agents and sent guys like Randle to the bench or back to kentucky. Send an important message to the fans the knicks are in complete rebuild and we are only playing 0-3 year experience players for all 72 games.

You GOTTA hand starting jobs to undeserving rookies in the preseason too. Gets the FAs LINING up!

In all seriousness I think the Knicks should look to move Burks and Payton at the deadline. Start them, build their value, and move them to contenders for picks. Maybe Smith too if anyone wants him. Maybe Thibs can get him back on track.

Knicks roster is full of players Thibs needs to get back on track, or help find and consistently stay on track.
Knox, Frank, and Robinson are due: can Thibs develop them to play consistently at their potential?
RJ, Obi, Quick: how high is their ceiling, and how fast can Thibs get them there?
Many unknowns, but the Knicks now have a nice collection of young players with potential.
If Thibs can develop these guys into keepers and adds another couple quality draft picks, the Knicks could get back in the playoff picture for a long time.
I'm all for jettisoning the hired guns, and developing the promising young guys/projects.
That and the related hope for success will hold my interest through yet another season of the Knicks collecting "L's"!

Knicks roster is full of players Thibs needs to get back on track, or help find and consistently stay on track.
Knox, Frank, and Robinson are due: can Thibs develop them to play consistently at their potential?
RJ, Obi, Quick: how high is their ceiling, and how fast can Thibs get them there?
Many unknowns, but the Knicks now have a nice collection of young players with potential.
If Thibs can develop these guys into keepers and adds another couple quality draft picks, the Knicks could get back in the playoff picture for a long time.
I'm all for jettisoning the hired guns, and developing the promising young guys/projects.
That and the related hope for success will hold my interest through yet another season of the Knicks collecting "L's"!

Love the optimism but just don't see it. I'm onboard, though, to get the most out of guys and trade for more picks.

I don't think there is a ton of potential. I think Thibs can raise our floor but our ceiling is pretty limited, imo. Nets and Wizards are going to be better on top of the existing teams that already are slotting in for playoff spots. Not sure how we can sneak in.

I'm not trying to look down on the optimism, I watched the Cavs/Knicks pre-season game the other night so you know where I stand in my fandom.

Either we get a big time FA (not likely) or we need to land some big hits in the next few drafts. Otherwise, Thibs will raise our floor, but I'm not sure what else we can count on.

Love the optimism but just don't see it. I'm onboard, though, to get the most out of guys and trade for more picks.

I don't think there is a ton of potential. I think Thibs can raise our floor but our ceiling is pretty limited, imo. Nets and Wizards are going to be better on top of the existing teams that already are slotting in for playoff spots. Not sure how we can sneak in.

I'm not trying to look down on the optimism, I watched the Cavs/Knicks pre-season game the other night so you know where I stand in my fandom.

Either we get a big time FA (not likely) or we need to land some big hits in the next few drafts. Otherwise, Thibs will raise our floor, but I'm not sure what else we can count on.
Optimism got me from 1973 to here! -but yes blinders may be on ;).
Knox, Frank, and Robinson have been given enough rope. Do they hang themselves this season, or step up?
That's key to the Knicks finally heading in the right direction, and also where optimism is most suspect!
Agree FA's not coming -maybe a couple of these young guys become great, and if the Knicks follow with a couple great picks in coming drafts we're on our way.
Seeing a bunch of young guys develop into a great team that starts owning some of current stars' teams who declined to consider the Knicks, and throw in a title -that would be sweet!
Hope it happens while Clyde is still doing the games.
OPTIMISM!:)

Yeah...

They've had a ton of lottery picks in the last 4 years (well, they've had 4) but if you look at the roster, I think the young player with the most upside is Mitch? And he for sure has his flaws. Frank and Knox are basically write-offs at this point; maybe they can be contributors but it's basically impossible to see them as key pieces on a good team.

Barrett was awful last year. Too early to write him off, but there were some glaring flaws there (obviously exacerbated by the horrific spacing, which has been improved. I guess?) coming into the league and its not like he's given you reason to feel a lot better about him. Toppin? I wasn't huge on the pick. I guess he deserves some time, but I dunno.

I guess the good news in basketball all it really takes is one legit star to make you relevant; maybe they win the lottery and Cade Cunningham really is that guy. The future isn't totally bleak, they have no bad contracts, they have all their picks plus 2 from Dallas, but I can't even point to one guy who I think even has like a 40-50% chance of being a solid contributor on a very good team

-But at least there's the chance that one of these players may surprise and develop into "that guy".
Will keep looking for signs of that. Maybe the nucleus of a competitive team can start to form.

Watching young guys hopefully meet/exceed their potential vs a bunch of vets on 1yr contracts makes this season a lot more interesting for me anyway.

Tonight = Knicks version of SU-BC.
Just a preseason game vs lowly Cavs, but that was fun.
Other parallels with SU:
Quick got unexpected opportunity to start and performing well, same as Kadary.
And Robinson got the start with Noel out.
Weird huh?
So far so good -Knicks playing team ball and work hard on D. Showing potential that allows optimism!

Tonight = Knicks version of SU-BC.
Just a preseason game vs lowly Cavs, but that was fun.
Other parallels with SU:
Quick got unexpected opportunity to start and performing well, same as Kadary.
And Robinson got the start with Noel out.
Weird huh?
So far so good -Knicks playing team ball and work hard on D. Showing potential that allows optimism!
I was happy to see the excellent effort on the defensive end. Barrett and Toppin should be fun to watch grow together. Knox is hitting some deep balls. Looks like NYK could be, at least, an interesting team to watch. At this point, I’ll take that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom