2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

Steve Cohen paid $2.4 billion for the Mets, who have a payroll of $197 million. I think he's got a right to complain about the performance of his team, whether he does it through Twitter or a team meeting.

Steinbrenner did it. I can only imagine what life would have been like if Twitter was around in George's day.

A good article on the Mets and Jeff McNeil's woes:

"We want him to be ready to hit, but which pitch are you looking for? That’s where we are with him.”

That’s where the Mets are with more players than McNeil, who’s a proxy here for their larger efforts to modify plate approaches that have not excelled this season the way they have in the recent past. Discipline was one of those keywords that owner Steve Cohen mentioned in his tweet Wednesday, and yes, the best offenses are more disciplined than New York’s. The Mets have the eighth-highest chase rate in baseball.

That has created a double whammy: The Mets don’t get into good hitters’ counts often (they’ve had the fewest plate appearances in the National League that end with the batter ahead), and they don’t capitalize on them when they do (they’re 14th in the NL in OPS when ahead in the count).

No team in the NL has seen fewer 3-0 counts, and the Mets are hitting only .157 when they get them. It’s not just that New York didn’t get to a 3-0 count Thursday; it didn’t even see a three-ball count against seven Los Angeles pitchers.

The Mets don’t see a lot of pitches to begin with (3.80 per plate appearance this season, 14th in the NL), and they’re seeing even fewer (3.75) in August."

An article on the differences between the Dogers/Giants and the Mets and how the Mets want to become what they are:

"One of the disappointing aspects of this season for New York is that some of its attempted strides in player development have been stunted by big-league needs. Zack Scott was hired as an assistant GM with an eye toward overhauling how the Mets develop players; instead, he’s been the acting GM since late January. Hugh Quattlebaum was supposed to be the director of hitting, implementing an organization-wide approach at the plate; instead, he’s been the major-league hitting coach since early May. His assistant is Kevin Howard, who was hired to be the farm director.

So many of the hires the Mets made last winter came from organizations generally thought to be progressive: Scott came from Boston, Howard from Cleveland, director of player development initiatives Jeremy Barnes from Houston, and head of analytics Ben Zauzmer from Los Angeles. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Mets look San Francisco’s way for inspiration (or a hire) this offseason.

The impulse when a team is enduring a season like New York’s is to spend your brainpower thinking of whom to move — what pieces from the supposed core don’t fit, and what external players could be brought in as replacements. It isn’t that hard to write “Five Offseason Trade Candidates to Spark the Mets Offense,” and a story like that spurs plenty of conversation. It’s less fun (and a heck of a lot harder) to write “The Five Changes Mets Hitters Can Make to Their Swings This Winter to Possibly Achieve Drastically Different Results,” in large part because we hear so often about changes that don’t make enough of a difference.

But that’s what the Giants have done so well in the past two years and what the Dodgers have done so well for nearly a decade. It’s about asking different and better questions about the players on the roster already or lower-key additions.

The new Mets front office didn’t have a chance to do that last offseason; it was in the process of being installed. This winter will be its first opportunity to show just how competitive it can be with the sport’s best developmental organizations."

Rojas makes questionable decisions every game. The most concerning thing is that he appears to be getting worse as he gains experience managing.

I think he has to be replaced. Gotta get a quality GM and a quality manager. That is the first priority of the off season.

yup lets blame the manager for putting in 1 of the best rlvrs in baseball this yr but not fielding ground balls, not scoring with bases loaded multiple times. hitting pop ups when SF gifted them chances thats ok.

It seemed like all the same game...The Mets went 2-11 against the Giants and Dodgers and 7 of the losses were by 1 run. The big problem is that they aren't scoring runs. The pitching was Ok, sometimes better than OK. there were fielding errors, baserunning errors, managerial decisions, some strange umpiring but good offense allows you to overcome that. They scored 32 runs in those 13 games, 19 in the eleven losses. One close, winnable game after another and yet you knew they weren't going to get it done.

An article on the differences between the Dogers/Giants and the Mets and how the Mets want to become what they are:

"One of the disappointing aspects of this season for New York is that some of its attempted strides in player development have been stunted by big-league needs. Zack Scott was hired as an assistant GM with an eye toward overhauling how the Mets develop players; instead, he’s been the acting GM since late January. Hugh Quattlebaum was supposed to be the director of hitting, implementing an organization-wide approach at the plate; instead, he’s been the major-league hitting coach since early May. His assistant is Kevin Howard, who was hired to be the farm director.

So many of the hires the Mets made last winter came from organizations generally thought to be progressive: Scott came from Boston, Howard from Cleveland, director of player development initiatives Jeremy Barnes from Houston, and head of analytics Ben Zauzmer from Los Angeles. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Mets look San Francisco’s way for inspiration (or a hire) this offseason.

The impulse when a team is enduring a season like New York’s is to spend your brainpower thinking of whom to move — what pieces from the supposed core don’t fit, and what external players could be brought in as replacements. It isn’t that hard to write “Five Offseason Trade Candidates to Spark the Mets Offense,” and a story like that spurs plenty of conversation. It’s less fun (and a heck of a lot harder) to write “The Five Changes Mets Hitters Can Make to Their Swings This Winter to Possibly Achieve Drastically Different Results,” in large part because we hear so often about changes that don’t make enough of a difference.

But that’s what the Giants have done so well in the past two years and what the Dodgers have done so well for nearly a decade. It’s about asking different and better questions about the players on the roster already or lower-key additions.

The new Mets front office didn’t have a chance to do that last offseason; it was in the process of being installed. This winter will be its first opportunity to show just how competitive it can be with the sport’s best developmental organizations."
It’s going to be a tough off season. The reality is outside of one COVID shortened season most of their major pieces have no track record.
Alonso and Nimmo - seem like the best bets, but haven’t proven they can do it when it counts and with RISP

McNeil - has proven he can do it in the past, but look like a completely different and worse player. Mets probably need to bet on him.

Dom and Davis - very little consistent proof they can bring it when it counts or even very consistently against both righties and lefties. I bet on Dom’s elite power and let Davis and his crap glove go.

Conforto - buh bye. Pretty much guaranteed to become the next Turner wherever he goes next, but he’a not a player I want on a team I support. Very talented, but seems like he plays very robot-like. Having said that, I think he’s back on a qualifying offer.

Lindor - He’s back no matter what… but he really worries me. This is the third year of an ongoing slump… when is a slump the new normal?

McCann/Nido: meh… when is the stud catcher from the minors coming up?

Lindor really is the killer.. if he had played like expected then the outlook to changing 2-3 pieces would be good.. but 10 yrs of this would make the Cano deal look good.

Really hitting .100 with 2 outs and RISP will kill any team when you do it over 6 months its lights out

Will Baez be a met next year? He can infuriating with this wild swings but I like the idea of seeing Lindor and Baez as a double play combo the next few years.

It’s going to be a tough off season. The reality is outside of one COVID shortened season most of their major pieces have no track record.
Alonso and Nimmo - seem like the best bets, but haven’t proven they can do it when it counts and with RISP

McNeil - has proven he can do it in the past, but look like a completely different and worse player. Mets probably need to bet on him.

Dom and Davis - very little consistent proof they can bring it when it counts or even very consistently against both righties and lefties. I bet on Dom’s elite power and let Davis and his crap glove go.

Conforto - buh bye. Pretty much guaranteed to become the next Turner wherever he goes next, but he’a not a player I want on a team I support. Very talented, but seems like he plays very robot-like. Having said that, I think he’s back on a qualifying offer.

Lindor - He’s back no matter what… but he really worries me. This is the third year of an ongoing slump… when is a slump the new normal?

McCann/Nido: meh… when is the stud catcher from the minors coming up?

I like Conforto. I hope they keep him but I'll understand if they don't.

Davis is actually having a good year. I'd say he ahs more power than Smith, who I would think would be more expendable.

McCann and Nido can play the position reliably and hit a bit. That's all most teams have there.

if you told me they shopped Smith around and get Davis to play 1/3 and DH and some left that would be fine . Smith who knows how much the bum wrist is bothering him.. huge drop in power so maybe its alot. Alonso has been fine at first . Baez who knows.. he plays with energy and strikes out but at least he goes after things.

Mcniel do what they want.

need 1 outfielder who shows some pop. have to think one of conforto or smith does not come back.

if you told me they shopped Smith around and get Davis to play 1/3 and DH and some left that would be fine . Smith who knows how much the bum wrist is bothering him.. huge drop in power so maybe its alot. Alonso has been fine at first . Baez who knows.. he plays with energy and strikes out but at least he goes after things.

Mcniel do what they want.

need 1 outfielder who shows some pop. have to think one of conforto or smith does not come back.

I'd keep Conforto and McNeal. They aren't this bad. Smith seems much more expendable.

every game is the same.. mostly decent pitching. one bad inning, leave guys in scoring position, stay close and no hits at the end to win games.. every night some guy with an ERA of 5 shuts them down.

the killer is dplays and never putting the ball in play in key spots.

Still the last several games every key hit by the other team has been on a pretty good pitch hit someplace to extend an inning and the mets go bat after at bat failing.

an awful team like the Nats stills scores 5-6 runs a game the Mets get 3..

I see enough of this with SU football

I like Conforto. I hope they keep him but I'll understand if they don't.

Davis is actually having a good year. I'd say he ahs more power than Smith, who I would think would be more expendable.

McCann and Nido can play the position reliably and hit a bit. That's all most teams have there.
I looked up Davis’s stats and indeed he’s having a good year. Smith had a monster year last year, so he could get another year. But realistically Mets get another third baseman or a left fielder, if not both so one of them won’t be here. I think Conforto gets a qualifying offer but boras won’t let him sign it.

I looked up Davis’s stats and indeed he’s having a good year. Smith had a monster year last year, so he could get another year. But realistically Mets get another third baseman or a left fielder, if not both so one of them won’t be here. I think Conforto gets a qualifying offer but boras won’t let him sign it.
One thing to keep in mind is that it appears really likely there will be a DH in the NL next season.

I agree with those thinking Dom’s bad wrist is affecting his hitting. His swing is a mess now and they probably should just shut him down for the rest of the season. Guessing that happens soon, as dreams of a pennant completely disappear.

Davis’ defense has been solid (after a shaky start). He is one of the few guys on the team who shows signs of being a clutch hitter. He is also still not 100%, I think his hand injury is hindering him some. I think he should be the long term answer at 3B.

We really need a good defensive center fielder who can hit. Could use an upgrade at catcher but Alvarez is probably only a year away so I think we go with what we have until then.

If Conforto is willing to take the qualifying offer, awesome. I think he is going to be fine and the pressure of performing to get a big contract got to him. Would not sign him to a giant contract but if he is willing to take 5 years at $20m per, I would do it.

The top priority has to be getting 2 solid starting pitchers. Hope one is Thor, who they can probably get for a reasonable price now. Also desperately need a solid left handed reliever.

Please release the druggie scumbag Cano the day he comes off suspension. I cannot tolerate seeing him in a Met uniform even one more day.

One thing to keep in mind is that it appears really likely there will be a DH in the NL next season.

I agree with those thinking Dom’s bad wrist is affecting his hitting. His swing is a mess now and they probably should just shut him down for the rest of the season. Guessing that happens soon, as dreams of a pennant completely disappear.

Davis’ defense has been solid (after a shaky start). He is one of the few guys on the team who shows signs of being a clutch hitter. He is also still not 100%, I think his hand injury is hindering him some. I think he should be the long term answer at 3B.

We really need a good defensive center fielder who can hit. Could use an upgrade at catcher but Alvarez is probably only a year away so I think we go with what we have until then.

If Conforto is willing to take the qualifying offer, awesome. I think he is going to be fine and the pressure of performing to get a big contract got to him. Would not sign him to a giant contract but if he is willing to take 5 years at $20m per, I would do it.

The top priority has to be getting 2 solid starting pitchers. Hope one is Thor, who they can probably get for a reasonable price now. Also desperately need a solid left handed reliever.

Please release the druggie scumbag Cano the day he comes off suspension. I cannot tolerate seeing him in a Met uniform even one more day.
not sure the Mets can cut Cano and take the cap hit. More they hope they can make a deal and he retires and they pay him for something else for a few yrs or he gets dinged again.

I think his salary is going to be on the books no matter what (unless he uses his PEDs again, which is very possible).

The question is, would you rather pay him to stay away or pay him and have this awful person in the clubhouse, possibly influencing the rest of the team, day after day?

I would what I would do.

A couple of years back they were quoting how many 100MPH pitches Noah Syndergaard had thrown. He had something like 40 and the next best guy in the league had 12. Then he came up with arm trouble and has barely pitched since.

Meanwhile DeGrom was already winning Cy Youngs but you didn't hear about 100 MPH pitches. This year DeGrom is way ahead of everybody else in 100MPH pitches and is on the verge of setting unbreakable records. But he's also coming up with injuries that haven't shut him down yet but could if they get worse.

I don't care how many 100MPH pitches a guy throws. I care how consistently he gets guys out and how many games we win. Maybe a little less Nolan Ryan and a little more Greg Maddox?

The Athletic has an article about DeGrom's recovery. The last two paragraph's mirror my concern in the above post:

"
One thing the Mets are contemplating is whether deGrom can and should take a step back with his velocity. DeGrom, of course, was throwing as hard as any starting pitcher in history earlier this season. And while the pitcher has attributed his earlier minor injuries to overzealous swings while batting, this latest and longest physical malady relates to pitching.

DeGrom had his best season in 2018 averaging just over 96 on his fastball. He was averaging nearly 3 mph more this year, and some with the team wonder whether he’d be better served averaging less on his fastball while still retaining the triple-digit max speed he’s flashed the last two seasons."