2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

Lucky for the Metropolitans the rest of the NL East is a heaping garbage pile and NY should still cruise to a division title.
Yep down to Phillies and NYM with Acuna out now

Lucky for the Metropolitans the rest of the NL East is a heaping garbage pile and NY should still cruise to a division title.

Hope so. They seem unlikely to get a Wild Card.

Diaz may be becoming the guy we traded for: strikes out the side on 10 pitches to preserve a 3-2 win over the Pirates and avoid an ill-timed double header sweep.

Let's pretend I didn't say this.

And Lugo had given up five runs all season. he doubled that tonight.

Pass the Maalox!

And now our All-Star pitcher can't get anyone out:

1st inning: ground out, double, single, walk, double, walk, walk single (+ throwing error), walk, bye-bye. 1 out, 8 baserunners, 6 of them scored.

Our glorious second half hasn't started yet.

Maybe our glorious second half just started:

I don’t know if this the greatest team in baseball but it might be the most interesting.

Holy cats these games are getting crazy.

Some general thoughts…

Davis still is not a good fielder at 3rd base but he can hit and he seems like he comes through in the cutch a lot. I think you have to find a way to get his bat in the lineup every day. What a shame there is no DH in the NL this year.

Squirrel has been awful defensively so far since he has returned. With all the shifting going on, he is being asked to do more and is struggling. At least he is showing some signs of life hitting.

Alonso is still not very good defensively. Add in Davis and Squirrel and we become a bad defensive team very quickly. Now Linder gets replaced with Villar or Guillorme and things get even worse defensively.

Nimmo has been amazing on offense. Another downgrade on defense but I would take that trade any day.

Dom Smith is having the weirdest year. He was awesome hitting off speed stuff last year and is terrible at it this year. He hits left handed and is struggling against right handed pitchers but doing great against leftys. I think he has done a fine job improving his defense in LF.

Really disappointed seeing McKinney DFAed. He is a terrific athlete who is very good defensively, has a lot of power and can run too. Enjoyed watching him play when Conforto was out. Wish we could get him back but I expect someone, maybe the Yankees, to snap him up.

Good to see Mike get a big hit today. Hope it gets him hitting again. He, like a bunch of Mets hitters, looks lost most of the time at the plate. The new batting coach is not making a positive impact.

Hope Carrasco is able to help soon. The situation with the starting pitchers, with Petersen, Lucchessi and DeGrom all out, is really dire. It would be better if Stroman or Walker could pitch a good game again someday good. Marcus at least looked good after the awful start.

At this point, I would rather get another starting pitcher than another 3rd baseman. Hope we go in that direction at the trade deadline.

I don’t know if this the greatest team in baseball but it might be the most interesting.

Holy cats these games are getting crazy.

Some general thoughts…

Davis still is not a good fielder at 3rd base but he can hit and he seems like he comes through in the cutch a lot. I think you have to find a way to get his bat in the lineup every day. What a shame there is no DH in the NL this year.

Squirrel has been awful defensively so far since he has returned. With all the shifting going on, he is being asked to do more and is struggling. At least he is showing some signs of life hitting.

Alonso is still not very good defensively. Add in Davis and Squirrel and we become a bad defensive team very quickly. Now Linder gets replaced with Villar or Guillorme and things get even worse defensively.

Nimmo has been amazing on offense. Another downgrade on defense but I would take that trade any day.

Dom Smith is having the weirdest year. He was awesome hitting off speed stuff last year and is terrible at it this year. He hits left handed and is struggling against right handed pitchers but doing great against leftys. I think he has done a fine job improving his defense in LF.

Really disappointed seeing McKinney DFAed. He is a terrific athlete who is very good defensively, has a lot of power and can run too. Enjoyed watching him play when Conforto was out. Wish we could get him back but I expect someone, maybe the Yankees, to snap him up.

Good to see Mike get a big hit today. Hope it gets him hitting again. He, like a bunch of Mets hitters, looks lost most of the time at the plate. The new batting coach is not making a positive impact.

Hope Carrasco is able to help soon. The situation with the starting pitchers, with Petersen, Lucchessi and DeGrom all out, is really dire. It would be better if Stroman or Walker could pitch a good game again someday good. Marcus at least looked good after the awful start.

At this point, I would rather get another starting pitcher than another 3rd baseman. Hope we go in that direction at the trade deadline.
I guess the key to playing the Pirates is getting down 6 runs. The past two days has taken some time off my life.

They got Hill for a really low price. Given how tight pitching is right now, one wonders if he is okay. The deal is pending a physical and I am hearing he might not pass it. Was having a solid year but has fallen off the past two months.

The Mets have taken Megill out two games in a row after 6 where he was pitching a shutout and had a low pitch total. Part of that is surely driven by the analytic team looking at performance degradation pitching the third time around the batting order. But part might be trying to keep his innings total down so he doesn’t run into an innings total problem later this season.

he had never pitched above High Class A ball unfl this season and has to have limits here. With deGrom having issues too, it would be awesome to go to a 6 man rotation some day soon.

Maybe with Hill and Carrasco, this will be possible.

one reason tampa let hill go was they have too many starters right now.. he has no options so he couldnt go anyplace. they cut some salary in the swap and got a player for the minors and another on the IL who doesnt hit the cap anyway.

one reason tampa let hill go was they have too many starters right now.. he has no options so he couldnt go anyplace. they cut some salary in the swap and got a player for the minors and another on the IL who doesnt hit the cap anyway.

too many starters... It must be fun.

They got Hill for a really low price. Given how tight pitching is right now, one wonders if he is okay. The deal is pending a physical and I am hearing he might not pass it. Was having a solid year but has fallen off the past two months.

The Mets have taken Megill out two games in a row after 6 where he was pitching a shutout and had a low pitch total. Part of that is surely driven by the analytic team looking at performance degradation pitching the third time around the batting order. But part might be trying to keep his innings total down so he doesn’t run into an innings total problem later this season.

he had never pitched above High Class A ball unfl this season and has to have limits here. With deGrom having issues too, it would be awesome to go to a 6 man rotation some day soon.

Maybe with Hill and Carrasco, this will be possible.

I heard they found a rich hill!

1627147343852.png

the good thing is the phillies are bad too.. they won 3 games last week on pure luck late.. Mets just stop hitting once a guy gets on 2nd.. but all n all if you said this roster was gonna 1.5 out this late anyone would take it.. one decent 10 game stretch and they are back in first.. i mean at some point the starters have to win a game sometime again before the season is over..

It's just crazy that this division lead is a battle to stay over 500. Who predicted that in April?

2020 baseball: every run came in on a home run. the Phillies won because they got a couple of guys on for one. The other five were with the bases empty.

I'm glad we got rid of that Zach Wheeler guy. he stinks. :cool:

Serious question: does Hernandez constantly whine about the dimensions of opposing ballparks? Is he oblivious to the fact that his Mets are also playing in the same parks?

Back when the Mets still played at Shea, I remember him talking down Chase Utley during a broadcast (of a Mets' home game) because he played at CBP. Utley went deep a couple of pitches later. Crickets from Hernandez after that.

At the beginning of the season the issue was why weren't the Mets' line-up of proven hitters scoring runs? Then came all the injuries and we figured that the Mets would have a great second half because of all the guys we'd get back. Now we're here and things stink because of the original problem: good hitters aren't hitting.

I decided to take a quick look at it by comparing this season's OPS for players with at least 100AB vs their career OPS, (and yes, I was too lazy to factor out this year's numbers from the career numbers before making the comparison). From best to worst, (and I'll drop the decimal points for convenience), this year minus carrer and the difference:

Davis 866 - 804 = +62
Nido 636-581 = +55
Guillorme 751-710 = +41
Villar 727-728 = -1
McCann 675-92 = -17
Nimmo 807-832 = -25
McKinney 706-776 = -70
Alonzo 810-881 = -71
Smith 703-776 = -73
Peraza 604-680 = -76
Pillar 614-701 = -85
McNeil 739-857 = -118
Lindor 702-821 = -119
Conforto 670-826 = -156

"Tightness"

There was a time when a key player in a pennant race would not let 'tightness' take him out of a game but that time has passed. Teams are paying so much money to these guys that they are treated like they were made of spun glass.

it worked again. When watching the Mets has become a chore, I decide to take a vacation from them - and they win!

sad they have lost 5 of 6 to the dodgers and giants when everygame but 1 was there for the taking if they just could get a run home on occasion.

Steve Cohen paid $2.4 billion for the Mets, who have a payroll of $197 million. I think he's got a right to complain about the performance of his team, whether he does it through Twitter or a team meeting.