2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

A couple of years back they were quoting how many 100MPH pitches Noah Syndergaard had thrown. He had something like 40 and the next best guy in the league had 12. Then he came up with arm trouble and has barely pitched since.

Meanwhile DeGrom was already winning Cy Youngs but you didn't hear about 100 MPH pitches. This year DeGrom is way ahead of everybody else in 100MPH pitches and is on the verge of setting unbreakable records. But he's also coming up with injuries that haven't shut him down yet but could if they get worse.

I don't care how many 100MPH pitches a guy throws. I care how consistently he gets guys out and how many games we win. Maybe a little less Nolan Ryan and a little more Greg Maddox?

A couple of years back they were quoting how many 100MPH pitches Noah Syndergaard had thrown. He had something like 40 and the next best guy in the league had 12. Then he came up with arm trouble and has barely pitched since.

Meanwhile DeGrom was already winning Cy Youngs but you didn't hear about 100 MPH pitches. This year DeGrom is way ahead of everybody else in 100MPH pitches and is on the verge of setting unbreakable records. But he's also coming up with injuries that haven't shut him down yet but could if they get worse.

I don't care how many 100MPH pitches a guy throws. I care how consistently he gets guys out and how many games we win. Maybe a little less Nolan Ryan and a little more Greg Maddox?
Most underrated stat in sports. Games played.

I think everyone should just try and bunt. It's their only chance.

I notice in that last start he had 6k's and 2 walks. That sounds like he's not trying to throw every pitch 100MPH any more. He still pitched 5 shutout innings and his ERA is 0.50.

Conforto would have been activated yesterday but for an outbreak of COVID with the Syracuse Mets.

Sigh.

The injury situation is getting ridiculous. Someone go to KFC and set up a tribute to Jobu.

Things will be great when the Mets get fully healthy. Unfortunately it will be snowing...

Lindor...

Tie game, bottom of 9th, bases loaded, nobody out, 1-0 count and he strikes on three swings at balls 2, 3 and 4. the first was high and outside by 6 inches. The others were low and inside by a foot.

Fortunately Conforto picked him up with a sac fly to center and the Mets pulled out another one.

Lindor...

Tie game, bottom of 9th, bases loaded, nobody out, 1-0 count and he strikes on three swings at balls 2, 3 and 4. the first was high and outside by 6 inches. The others were low and inside by a foot.

Fortunately Conforto picked him up with a sac fly to center and the Mets pulled out another one.
Not a great look. He is pressing hard. I know hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I really wish Mets had waited until after season to give him that monster contract.

Mets in general are a terrible situational hitting team. Its crazy that every single field player has regressed in hitting. If we had last years offense and this years pitching and D, the nl east title would be wrapped up.

This season makes you wonder who the Mets core moving forward really is.

The secret behind Lindor's improving offense

"The truth, likely, is that the 2018 version of Lindor -- the one who hit 38 homers with a 132 OPS+ that he hasn't approached before or since -- is probably not coming back, because what looked at the time to be a full breakout from a 24-year-old ascendant star now looks like a career year. But he doesn't need to, either. So long as Lindor can be the regularly above-average bat he was in Cleveland, paired with what is still elite shortstop defense, he'll be worth the contract."

much easier to pitch to lindor when the whole team is struggling.. much like .260 pete is fine if hitting HRs but now he is just another HR hitter too.

Starting to wonder if all that reliance on timely hitting along with how bad the back of the rotation is if they can hang on and not come crashing down this year. At least the Nats finally lost again. That said they are still red hot. Hope I am wrong here but I'm thinking we might be staring at second if not third place soon.

Lugo had a brutal 9th inning after DeGrom had righted his own ship and Dom Smith went deep twice to tie it. The Braves never got the ball out of the infield yet won it on a broken bat dribbler, a bounce-back that allowed the runner to advance and a carom shot of Lugo that Guillorme threw vainly to first, not realizing that the injured Acuna, behind him, was hobbling to third and Might have bene the easier play. Lugo's wild throw to first when he slipped trying to field the dribbler that started the inning off was his worst pitch of the night.

Bud Wilkinson said "I'd rather be lucky than good". Seth was good but had no luck at all.

The bullpen is like a "box O' chocolates - you never know what you're goona get".

1625343189144.png

Taijuan Walker is pitching a no-hitter with an 8-0 lead through 5 innings. In the 6th he strikes out LeMahieu, gives up a cheap home run to Judge, has Sanchez fly out to center, then gives up a single to Stanton. Rojas decides that Walker is tiring and motions that he wants Castro in from the bullpen. They mention that Castro, who has been used a lot, has not lost velocity but seems to have lost command of his pitches. He hits Voit, walks Torres on four straight to load the bases and gives up as two run single to Urshela. He then leaves the game having gotten no one out and a possible Yankees comeback has begun.

Would Walker have been any worse? Why are managers more afraid of the starting pitcher the third time around the order than a 7th inning guy who may or may not have his best stuff?

The Mets are flexing their social media power these days to solve all of the world's problems.

The Mets are flexing their social media power these days to solve all of the world's problems.

What if she weren't a model? (Or the daughters of the Brewer's owner?)

Diaz may be becoming the guy we traded for: strikes out the side on 10 pitches to preserve a 3-2 win over the Pirates and avoid an ill-timed double header sweep.

Worst loss of the season. Castro and Familia are completely useless.

It illustrated what I've always said: the bullpen is Forrest Gump's "box o' chocolates - you never know what you'll get". That's why the other team wanted to get into it. Yet your team wants to get into it as well, only asking starters to pitch 2/3 of a game at most. Does it make any sense for both teams to want the same thing?

It illustrated what I've always said: the bullpen is Forrest Gump's "box o' chocolates - you never know what you'll get". That's why the other team wanted to get into it. Yet your team wants to get into it as well, only asking starters to pitch 2/3 of a game at most. Does it make any sense for both teams to want the same thing?
Except Castro you always know what you are getting. Crap.

Lucky for the Metropolitans the rest of the NL East is a heaping garbage pile and NY should still cruise to a division title.