2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

Springer to Toronto seems to have a lot of people all worked up.. To me CF upgrade was a nice thing but not close to a need thing. I am more in the get all the pitching you can world.. the offense was fine last yr and we upgraded 2 spots in a big way. Another starter is fine and Rlvr is fine..

Sign Bauer for one yr if they want, to work around Cap issues, but he probably still wants too much.

Once we got Lindor, Springer became a nice to have not a need to have. If they didn't swing that trade I can't imagine they would lose a bidding war, but I wouldn't want Springer getting 6 years when he'll only be in CF for 3 more years

Once we got Lindor, Springer became a nice to have not a need to have. If they didn't swing that trade I can't imagine they would lose a bidding war, but I wouldn't want Springer getting 6 years when he'll only be in CF for 3 more years
Yep... Springer is a really good player but I don't think he will make or break the Mets. Bauer on other hand could have a huge impact because of the ripple effect it would have on preserving the pen. I think they can get by with Nimmo at CF for one more year.

With the Lucchesi trade yesterday the Mets might be done making big moves.

Yep... Springer is a really good player but I don't think he will make or break the Mets. Bauer on other hand could have a huge impact because of the ripple effect it would have on preserving the pen. I think they can get by with Nimmo at CF for one more year.

My guess is Bauer goes to the Angels. I'd love him on a 2 year deal but for the most part of his career he has been meh.

I think the Mets definitely get Brad Hand now. JBJ is the obvious choice at CF. I wish the MLB would make a damn ruling on the NLDH because if it's a go that would be HUGE for a team like the Mets.

Nimmo in LF, JBJ in CF, Conforto in RF, Dom/Pete at 1B/DH is very solid.

I think the Mets offseason ends with Hand/JBJ/Kike Hernandez for depth

Just get a CF for the depth, figure out the DH and add a pitcher or 2 more.

Nimo is fine.. he is cheap, he plays hard, you lose a few plays on D but you probably get 2-3 more players with the money saved.

I wanted Springer. We have two outfielder on the roster right now and no c.f.. I'd go get Jackie Bradley jr.

Just get a CF for the depth, figure out the DH and add a pitcher or 2 more.

Nimo is fine.. he is cheap, he plays hard, you lose a few plays on D but you probably get 2-3 more players with the money saved.
Nimmo is not a cf. I guess at this point you go get bradley jr and put Nimmo in lf even though that is a pretty weak offensive of.

if you can get the DH then Smith/Alanso split that.. Smith played Ok in left at times. Cano wont eat up DH Abs this yr.

1​
Robinson Cano382BVet$24,000,000---12.72%$24,000,000
2​
Francisco Lindor27SSArb 3$22,300,000-
########​
########​
11.82%22,300,000
3​
Jacob deGrom 33SPVet$33,500,000
########​
########​
########​
11.55%21,780,000
4​
Marcus Stroman30SPVet2$18,900,000-
########​
########​
10.02%18,900,000
5​
Jeurys Familia31RPVet$11,000,000
########​
########​
########​
5.30%10,000,000
6​
Michael Conforto28RFArb 32$12,250,000-
########​
########​
6.49%12,250,000
7​
Carlos Carrasco34SPVet$12,000,000-
########​
########​
6.23%11,750,000
8​
Noah Syndergaard28SPArb 42$9,700,000-
########​
########​
5.14%9,700,000
9​
James McCann31CVet$8,000,000
########​
########​
########​
5.38%10,150,000
10​
Trevor May31RPVet$7,750,000-
########​
########​
4.11%7,750,000
11​
Edwin Diaz27RP/CLArb 23$7,000,000-
########​
########​
3.71%7,000,000
12​
Dellin Betances33RPVet$6,000,000-
########​
########​
3.18%6,000,000
13​
Steven Matz30SPArb 31$5,200,000-
########​
########​
2.76%5,200,000
14​
Brandon Nimmo28CFArb 21$4,700,000-
########​
########​
2.49%4,700,000
15​
Seth Lugo31RPArb 22$2,925,000-
########​
########​
1.55%2,925,000
16​
Dominic Smith261BArb 12$2,550,000-
########​
########​
1.35%2,550,000
17​
J.D. Davis28OFArb 12$2,300,000-
########​
########​
1.22%2,300,000
18​
Brad Brach35RPVet$1,250,000-
########​
########​
1.10%2,075,000
19​
Miguel Castro26RPArb 2$1,687,500-
########​
########​
0.89%1,687,500
20​
Guillermo Heredia30CFArb 22$1,000,000-
########​
########​
0.53%1,000,000
21​
Jose Martinez 321BArb 22$1,000,000-
########​
########​
0.53%1,000,000
22​
Jacob Barnes 31RPArb 2$750,000-
########​
########​
0.40%750,000
23​
Pete Alonso 261BPre-Arb3----0.30%575,000
24​
Luis Guillorme 26SSPre-Arb1----0.30%575,000
25​
Jeff McNeil 293BPre-Arb3----0.30%575,000
26​
Tomas Nido 27CPre-Arb----0.30%575,000
27​
David Peterson 25PPre-Arb----0.30%575,000

Above is how the 2021 payroll looks as of today. Total payroll is a little under $189 million.

Assume some of the young players will be eligible for arbitration and will get raises. Guys like Smith and Davis are not going to be cheap to sign. Even Castro is going to get a big raise. Probably looking at another $10 million there at least.

Now let's assume you want to extend Conforto and Lindor. Let's assume they are fairly reasonable to deal with and sign (doubtful, Boros is Conforto's agent). Best case would be $30 million a year for Lindor, let's say $25 million for Conforto. Let's say Syndergaard comes back in June and does reasonably well. Let's say he is willing to sign for $16 million a year.

That is another $28 million or so added to the payroll for extensions. Total of $38 million counting arbitration raises.

How do you handle these extensions, retain your best talent and add Springer with his $30 million a year salary Toronto just signed him to?

Unless they cut some salary, we are looking at a payroll for 2021 of around $227 million. Springer would take the payroll is around $257 million. McNeil and Alonso are eligible for arbitration in 2022.

There are challenges. Cano doesn't come off the books until 2024. This is why that trade was the most moronic trade in the history of professional sports. Ugh.

if you can get the DH then Smith/Alanso split that.. Smith played Ok in left at times. Cano wont eat up DH Abs this yr.
Even though I was anti dh for years, I am hoping for it too, rotate Dom and Pete at 1b/Dh, Dom can play lf if needed but it isn't ideal, we need a cf badly.

Even though I was anti dh for years, I am hoping for it too, rotate Dom and Pete at 1b/Dh, Dom can play lf if needed but it isn't ideal, we need a cf badly.
There is a report that some CF candidates for the Mets are asking questions about how many ABs they will get if the DH is not used in the NL this year. This is happening all over. Many positions, besides players who are DHs are affected.

The leadership of MLB needs to make a final call on this, and other remaining open issues like roster size, ASAP. The sport is being hurt delaying the call so late in the off season.

Hoping the Mets sign Brad Hand. Sounds like he is close to signing and we really need a quality lefty reliever for the bullpen.

Last edited:
There is a report that some CF candidates for the Mets are asking questions about how many ABs they will get if the DH is not used in the NL this year. This is happening all over. Many positions, besides players who are DHs are affected.

The leadership of MLB needs to make a final call on this, and other remaining open issues like roster size, ASAP. The sport is being hurt delaying the call so late in the off season.

Hoping the Mets sign Brad Hand. Sounds like he is close to signing and we really need a quality lefty reliever for the bullpen.

Agree about the DH decision. Let's decide it one way or another. Marcell Ozuna is still out there and I think a big part of it is the Braves and other teams waiting on the DH decision.

Agree about the DH decision. Let's decide it one way or another. Marcell Ozuna is still out there and I think a big part of it is the Braves and other teams waiting on the DH decision.
Ozuna would be a great signing for the Mets... If nothing else it would prevent our crappy pen from having to face him pretty often in the same division.

MLB leadership blows goat chunks on both sides... they will again have the opportunity this spring/summer to bring America back to some sense of normalcy and I guarantee they will again mess it up like they did last time because of greed. I bet the reason they are not addressing the DH and roster sizes is because owners want to keep the expanded playoffs but the players want concessions and then it will turn into a whole labor negotiation. I guarantee owners will push for players to take a pay cut because stadiums won't be at max capacity for fan attendance on scheduled opening day and that will start the death spiral.

I still think its 50/50 that the season starts on time. Spring training is 5 weeks from now and there are a LOT of labor decisions that are TBD.

Last edited:
Ozuna would be a great signing for the Mets... If nothing else it would prevent our crappy pen from having to face him pretty often in the same division.
Maybe Msorange can answer this, can he play lf? or is he strictly a dh? We have a couple of dh possibilities, we need either a legit cf, or a guy who can play lf well.

Maybe Msorange can answer this, can he play lf? or is he strictly a dh? We have a couple of dh possibilities, we need either a legit cf, or a guy who can play lf well.
He was once a good outfielder but has suffered a serious injury to his throwing shoulder that has destroyed a once very strong arm and he has lost in the field as well. He is a Dom Smith type out there now. Maybe worse. And every year he gets worse. I think the general feeling is that he is done as an outfielder.

Ozuna makes little sense for the Mets. He is going to be expensive and like you say, the Mets are loaded with DH/corner outfielder types. Have to spend that last $20 million or so on a CF and probably a relief pitcher.

Last edited:
He was once a good outfielder but has suffered a serious injury to his throwing shoulder that has destroyed a once very strong arm and he has lot in the field as well. He is a Dom Smith type out there now. Maybe worse. And every year he gets worse. I think the general feeling is that he is done as an outfielder.

Ozuna makes little sense for the Mets. He is going to be expensive and like you say, the Mets are loaded with DH/corner outfielder types. Have to spend that last $20 million or so on a CF and probably a relief pitcher.

I agree with Tom on this assessment of Ozuna. He's really an emergency only OF at this point.

It's absolutely insane how there's been no decision on the DH yet. It's pretty important!!

It's absolutely insane how there's been no decision on the DH yet. It's pretty important!!

Thats something that needs to be decided before the offseason starts. You don’t have teams make their moves and build their teams and then hit them with a rule change. NL aren’t even thinking about signing these beer league softball clubbers that can’t field, unless they know there will be a DH.

Thats something that needs to be decided before the offseason starts. You don’t have teams make their moves and build their teams and then hit them with a rule change. NL aren’t even thinking about signing these beer league softball clubbers that can’t field, unless they know there will be a DH.

Conspiracy theory (that is probably partially true?): this is an attempt to drive down salaries. If half the league doesnt have a DH, they're going to have less interest in some of these guys

Hands been losing velo big time the last few years...I wouldnt want him
I am a bit perplexed.

Not thrilled about losing Hand. It doesn't sound like It almost sounds like they are putting all their chips in on Trevor Bauer now.

But if they are willing to spend $30 million a season, why didn't they sign Springer? It would seem that with the acquisitions of Carrasco and Lucchesi, there is a bigger need at CF than at starting pitcher.

I could understand all this if Bauer was willing to sign for a year. Otherwise, it seems like the Wilpons have somehow gotten Sandy's ear.

Good story on the first time the national anthem was played at a baseball game, even before it became the national anthem and how it became a thing. Like all great baseball stories, Babe Ruth is involved.

I am a bit perplexed.

Not thrilled about losing Hand. It doesn't sound like It almost sounds like they are putting all their chips in on Trevor Bauer now.

But if they are willing to spend $30 million a season, why didn't they sign Springer? It would seem that with the acquisitions of Carrasco and Lucchesi, there is a bigger need at CF than at starting pitcher.

I could understand all this if Bauer was willing to sign for a year. Otherwise, it seems like the Wilpons have somehow gotten Sandy's ear.

Good story on the first time the national anthem was played at a baseball game, even before it became the national anthem and how it became a thing. Like all great baseball stories, Babe Ruth is involved.

I am very perplexed, If they passed on Hand to get Bauer and have the best rotation in baseball, I love it, if not and they don't get Bauer, Springer, or Hand, even after landing Lindor this has been a very disappointing offseason. This team has major holes in the bp and outfield.

How do you let Hand go to Washington?
The Mets offered more money but Hand wanted DC and wanted a guaranteed shot at closing. It seems Mets were not able to offer either of those to him?

Players do have a right to choose where they want to play.