2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

I don't know what metrics they use, but they aren't accurate Nimmo is not a top 10 cf.

Look at the rest of those names!!

Nimmo is legitimately a very good hitter. And legitimately not a very good glove in CF, to be sure. But there's no way there are 10 CF better than him, all things considered.

Look at the rest of those names!!

Nimmo is legitimately a very good hitter. And legitimately not a very good glove in CF, to be sure. But there's no way there are 10 CF better than him, all things considered.
He is a career 258 hitter, he gives you some pop, but I need more if he is going to be the everyday cf.

He is a career 258 hitter, he gives you some pop, but I need more if he is going to be the everyday cf.

he has a 390 OBP!

Since his debut in 2016, he's tied for 5th in MLB in OBP. He's a really good hitter.

well i think the look at offense and defense.. I really think on D you go about 4-5 deep and the rest thats just where they are standing on the field.

Gardner is not very good either

after trout Bellinger is fine, Springer just avg, no idea who 4-5 are.. Marte Ok, cain is old..

I guess if you can make the occasional over the wall play that makes you good now.

Trading Matz frees over $5M in salary and opens a spot in the rotation for Trevor.

It is looking very likely Trevor is going to be a Met now.

Assuming this trade really happens.

Trading Matz frees over $5M in salary and opens a spot in the rotation for Trevor.

It is looking very likely Trevor is going to be a Met now.

Assuming this trade really happens.

4 year contract with an opt out? Interesting. Just read that the Angels are not involved. The Blue Jays have spent their big money and are now out.

I don't see anyone else has offered Trevor. The Dodgers might swoop in late and do something crazy but a decision is supposed to be made in the next 10 days.

Fun fact... One Jarred Kelenic, OF from Seattle is baseball's #4 prospect according to Keith Law. Kelenic just happens to be a 5-tool CF. Sure would be nice to have in him in the old back pocket right about now.

The trade for Diaz/Cano just gets worse and worse.

4 year contract with an opt out? Interesting. Just read that the Angels are not involved. The Blue Jays have spent their big money and are now out.

I don't see anyone else has offered Trevor. The Dodgers might swoop in late and do something crazy but a decision is supposed to be made in the next 10 days.
Mickey Callaway finally helps the Mets lol.

Fun fact... One Jarred Kelenic, OF from Seattle is baseball's #4 prospect according to Keith Law. Kelenic just happens to be a 5-tool CF. Sure would be nice to have in him in the old back pocket right about now.

Thanks Brodie.

It might be the worst trade ever made. It should be illegal to make a trade that idiotic.

It might be the worst trade ever made. It should be illegal to make a trade that idiotic.
Mets just got Jordan Yamamoto from the Marlins for a minor leaguer not considered a big league prospect. The Marlins dropped him from their 40 man roster a couple of days ago to make room for players they had just acquired.

Another reasonably talented player who could fill on with some starts if injuries come to the fore. Or more likely, COVID hits and the Mets are caught shorthanded with decent starters.

Jordan still has a minor league option. Ideal for the Mets.

Smart teams are loading up on these kinds of players. Low cost, minor league option, some success in the bigs. If a couple starters go down for a few weeks, they can keep you competitive and get you some wins. The new analystic folks the Mets have hired are already doing a good job getting the Mets some wins in 2021 on the cheap.

It might turn out that way but Kelenic isn't in the majors yet and his minor league numbers, while good, aren't eye-popping.

Jarred Kelenic Minor & Fall Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com (baseball-reference.com)

Cano is a borderline Hall of Famer who has, in the equivalent of a full season for the Mets, hit .275 with 23 homers.

And Diaz was coming off a 57 save season and has had 32 more in his up-and-down career with the Mets.

Trades sometimes work out poorly but they are only idiotic if they were obviously bad at the time they were made and I had no problem with this one.

Letting Matz loose was a sad but necessary ending to a promising but disappointing career with the team. He's no Nolan Ryan but I remember when Ryan was part of our most famous bad trade. But Ryan was 29-38 in New York, despite playing on winning teams. (Matz is 31-41.) Jim Fregosi had been one of the better shortstops in the game, a lifetime .268 hitter with 115 home runs, (which meant more in his era than it does now). he wanted to switch to 3rd base, where the Mets had a need. It looked like a good trade at the time. It only became 'idiotic' later.

It might turn out that way but Kelenic isn't in the majors yet and his minor league numbers, while good, aren't eye-popping.

Jarred Kelenic Minor & Fall Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com (baseball-reference.com)

Cano is a borderline Hall of Famer who has, in the equivalent of a full season for the Mets, hit .275 with 23 homers.

And Diaz was coming off a 57 save season and has had 32 more in his up-and-down career with the Mets.

Trades sometimes work out poorly but they are only idiotic if they were obviously bad at the time they were made and I had no problem with this one.

Letting Matz loose was a sad but necessary ending to a promising but disappointing career with the team. He's no Nolan Ryan but I remember when Ryan was part of our most famous bad trade. But Ryan was 29-38 in New York, despite playing on winning teams. (Matz is 31-41.) Jim Fregosi had been one of the better shortstops in the game, a lifetime .268 hitter with 115 home runs, (which meant more in his era than it does now). he wanted to switch to 3rd base, where the Mets had a need. It looked like a good trade at the time. It only became 'idiotic' later.
I and many others was shocked by the idiocy of this trade and commented on it to that effect immediately after it was done.

I don't think your sources are good ones. Kelenic is considered one of the top 5 prospects in baseball. He is going to be a great player.

Cano has been okay when he has been able to play with the Mets. Not as good as McNeil would have been, not be a long shot. He has hit reasonably well.

The big problem with Cano is that his salary is $24 million a season. He is at the end of his career, a shadow of his former self and a huge millstone for any team to get stuck with. It was a miracle that the Mariners were able to get someone, anyone to take that awful contract.
That Dipoto not only got the Mets to take the contract, but also got their best prospect as part of the deal is unbelievable.

Diaz was a disaster his first year with the Mets. A disaster. He singlehandedly prevented them from getting into the playoffs. He was better for the couple of months that was last season but not great either.

Relief pitchers are notorious for this kind of inconsistency. Savvy GMs do not place a high value on them because so many have been burned doing this in the past.

I wouldn't trade Kelenic for Diaz. That Brody took the worst contract in MLB along with Diaz for Kelenic is unforgiveable.

It NEVER looked like a good trade. It was an awful deal from the start and every day it will get a little worse.

I and many others was shocked by the idiocy of this trade and commented on it to that effect immediately after it was done.

I don't think your sources are good ones. Kelenic is considered one of the top 5 prospects in baseball. He is going to be a great player.

Cano has been okay when he has been able to play with the Mets. Not as good as McNeil would have been, not be a long shot. He has hit reasonably well.

The big problem with Cano is that his salary is $24 million a season. He is at the end of his career, a shadow of his former self and a huge millstone for any team to get stuck with. It was a miracle that the Mariners were able to get someone, anyone to take that awful contract.
That Dipoto not only got the Mets to take the contract, but also got their best prospect as part of the deal is unbelievable.

Diaz was a disaster his first year with the Mets. A disaster. He singlehandedly prevented them from getting into the playoffs. He was better for the couple of months that was last season but not great either.

Relief pitchers are notorious for this kind of inconsistency. Savvy GMs do not place a high value on them because so many have been burned doing this in the past.

I wouldn't trade Kelenic for Diaz. That Brody took the worst contract in MLB along with Diaz for Kelenic is unforgiveable.

It NEVER looked like a good trade. It was an awful deal from the start and every day it will get a little worse.
Wait till Cano's salary is back on the books next year as the Mets are working on Conforto's extension plus others.

IDK. From a Yankee perspective:
Traded by New York Yankees Tippy Martinez, Rudy May, Dave Pagan, Scott McGregor and Rick Dempsey to Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Elrod Hendricks and Jimmy Freeman (June 15, 1976).

Wait till Cano's salary is back on the books next year as the Mets are working on Conforto's extension plus others.
Yes. Cano comes back on the books for 2022 and 2023.

My biggest issue with the trade is that it saddled the Mets with an awful contract that is going to make putting together good teams for 2022 and 2023 very difficult. You can't take on giant contracts for druggies who don't hustle if you want to contend for pennants.

I remember shortly after the trade was announced, DiPoto (GM of Seattle) was interviewed and expressed amazement that the Mets were interested in Cano period. When he found out they were willing to include their best minor league prospect, he couldn't believe it.

It just gets worse. Brody originally included Jeff McNeil in the deal as well until the reaction from Mets fans was so overwhelmingly negative, he had to back off.

What an idiot.

Maybe Cano will continue to also be idiotic and get caught for performance enhancing drugs one more time. I believe he gets a lifetime ban the next time he is caught.

so you are saying they will pay someone 5 million to follow him around and give him a mickey

the other issue is that he will be sitting around for a yr.. he will need to come back in shape and pass a physical.. say he has an issue that the team DR finds. he gets paid from insurance money but not payroll money.. win win ..

he hurts his back lifting and cant play and its great for everyone.

Confused by what the Mets are doing again.

They have around $30 million to spend before the salary cap. But they let the Yankees outbid them for Justin Wilson. And go for Mike Montgomery and Tommy Hunter.

They are now allegedly getting involved with Trevor Rosenthal. They seem to be very reactive. Don't see a plan being executed since Porter got canned.

They signed Almora and Pillar, which presumably means that they are not signing Jackie Bradley Jr. Though the tabloids say they might if the DH is brought back for the NL at the last minute.

Why hold back on spending any real money?

The only thing that makes sense is that they are planning on trading for one or more players with big salaries and need to leave a lot of room to do this. I have no issues doing this. Probably will be some attractive players with big salaries available for very reasonable deals as the season ensues and teams start to lose a lot of money (pretty sure a lot of teams are going to lose a lot of money trying to play with 0-20% capacity).

There aren't going to be many teams in a position to take on a lot of salary and the Mets should be able to take advantage and get a really good player or two for pennies on the dollar. It might not happen though for a few months. Worse case, they have to wait until the end of the season. I doubt that will happen.

Confused by what the Mets are doing again.

They have around $30 million to spend before the salary cap. But they let the Yankees outbid them for Justin Wilson. And go for Mike Montgomery and Tommy Hunter.

They are now allegedly getting involved with Trevor Rosenthal. They seem to be very reactive. Don't see a plan being executed since Porter got canned.

They signed Almora and Pillar, which presumably means that they are not signing Jackie Bradley Jr. Though the tabloids say they might if the DH is brought back for the NL at the last minute.

Why hold back on spending any real money?

The only thing that makes sense is that they are planning on trading for one or more players with big salaries and need to leave a lot of room to do this. I have no issues doing this. Probably will be some attractive players with big salaries available for very reasonable deals as the season ensues and teams start to lose a lot of money (pretty sure a lot of teams are going to lose a lot of money trying to play with 0-20% capacity).

There aren't going to be many teams in a position to take on a lot of salary and the Mets should be able to take advantage and get a really good player or two for pennies on the dollar. It might not happen though for a few months. Worse case, they have to wait until the end of the season. I doubt that will happen.
I wonder if the Kris Bryant trade has legs.

For better or worse the Mets pen was the biggest weakness of the team last year. A year later, new owners, new GM, new everything... the Mets pen is the biggest weakness of the team. I can't believe we are going into another season where we expect Betances and Familia to get outs in high pressure situations. I get that you can't fix everything in on offseason but this pen situation seems like a miss to me.

Mets last yr we had trouble finding 5 starters and had no real options when the issues came on
This yr we have 3 solid starters, Peterson who ended up the 2nd best last yr.. Lucchesi is better than Wacha and Percello and the wild card of Noah.. Thats light yrs better and if they are indeed better thats most likely 1 full inning less of relief you need on a nightly basis. No idea if Yamamoto helps or not

Last yr

Diaz was a mess
Wilson
Gsellman tried to be a starter
oswalt
brach
Matz
Betances
Familia
Hughes/Screve/Oswalt/Sewald/Lockett

This Year
Diaz hopefully as he finished the yr, he struck out 50 in 25 innings. Just avoid some of the HR balls.
Lugo from starter back to relief is huge
May
Loup

Gsellman/betences/Familia now are the 5-6 guy not the 2-3 guys..

We got better across the board.. Lugo if he is Lugo is a big deal.

Mets last yr we had trouble finding 5 starters and had no real options when the issues came on
This yr we have 3 solid starters, Peterson who ended up the 2nd best last yr.. Lucchesi is better than Wacha and Percello and the wild card of Noah.. Thats light yrs better and if they are indeed better thats most likely 1 full inning less of relief you need on a nightly basis. No idea if Yamamoto helps or not

Last yr

Diaz was a mess
Wilson
Gsellman tried to be a starter
oswalt
brach
Matz
Betances
Familia
Hughes/Screve/Oswalt/Sewald/Lockett

This Year
Diaz hopefully as he finished the yr, he struck out 50 in 25 innings. Just avoid some of the HR balls.
Lugo from starter back to relief is huge
May
Loup

Gsellman/betences/Familia now are the 5-6 guy not the 2-3 guys..

We got better across the board.. Lugo if he is Lugo is a big deal.
We need better than luchessi. Go get Odorrizi or Walker.