2020-21 ny mets thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

The Mets offered more money but Hand wanted DC and wanted a guaranteed shot at closing. It seems Mets were not able to offer either of those to him?

Players do have a right to choose where they want to play.
I mean who is the Mets closer right now? They could have offered him a pretty good shot at closing.

Last edited:
Hands been losing velo big time the last few years...I wouldnt want him

Yeah I saw that, makes me a little less worried about losing out on Hand.

There does need to be another move though

with the news the DH got shot down again at this point a CF becomes less of a concern since they want to play Dom and Nimmo and Alonso as much as possible anyway.. get a CF for D and spot play him and then see what other pitching you can add.

with the news the DH got shot down again at this point a CF becomes less of a concern since they want to play Dom and Nimmo and Alonso as much as possible anyway.. get a CF for D and spot play him and then see what other pitching you can add.
I think it gets negotiated back in... owners want expanded playoffs.

I’m still not convinced season starts on time as no state will not allow full fan attendance. Owners will try to get players to take a paycut.

I would push the season back a month or at least 2 weeks. the only reason for ending on time is really weather and they eliminated that last year with fixed locations.. Push the season, expand the rosters again play a 7inn DHeader every week or every other week same with make up games.

I think by April you really have a handle on what can be done. and probably a good shot at vaccines really rolling out by then.

If we are going to play Dom in left we need a good c.f. and that's not Nimmo. We might as well just sign jbj and live with his lack of offense.

can anyone really go back to last season and say CF was the reason we lost games? the games were mostly lost by bad pitching.. Nimmo is Avg but thats ok with me. and Smith saved more games than he lost in LF with some really nice catches. Infield mistakes lose far more games than outfield mistakes.

can anyone really go back to last season and say CF was the reason we lost games? the games were mostly lost by bad pitching.. Nimmo is Avg but thats ok with me. and Smith saved more games than he lost in LF with some really nice catches. Infield mistakes lose far more games than outfield mistakes.
Pitching was by far the biggest reason we were 8 games under. But outfield defense was not good. Nimmo misplayed so many fly balls and badly. Dom Smith exceeded my expectations but 1b is his strong suit. I'd feel a lot better with jbj in center.

OF defense was def not good last year. Ideally if you have a rotation with Degrom, Carrasco, Thor, and Bauer (dare i dream?) there wont be as many balls in play.

The thing is, Nimmo is a really good hitter and JBJ...isn't. I wouldn't hate signing him, but you still need to find lots of PA for Nimmo. They really need the DH

If they get the DH then get a Cf cause you will still be able to hit 8 guys and the CF. if we dont get a DH then I would rather get the best pitching and hit the 8 guys and the Pitcher.

I would have to see stats on how many balls Nimmo played into errors or hits. I watched every game, and I am pretty critical on OFs.. Of course I think almost all MLB OF are just avg or worse at catching the ball.. It amazes me the amount of balls all of them dont catch, they all play way too deep, only a few can actually dive properly and they drop way too many that the actually get a glove on.. Amazing how good infield play has gotten and how bad outfield play is.

OF defense was def not good last year. Ideally if you have a rotation with Degrom, Carrasco, Thor, and Bauer (dare i dream?) there wont be as many balls in play.

The thing is, Nimmo is a really good hitter and JBJ...isn't. I wouldn't hate signing him, but you still need to find lots of PA for Nimmo. They really need the DH
One thing about JBJ is that he is reportedly looking for a situation where he is going to start and play every day. If the DH is not happening in the NL, the Mets can’t promise that to him.

If it is remotely close, he is going to pick a team where he is the unquestioned starter in CF. I would be really surprised to see Jackie sign with the Mets with the DH not locked in for the NL.

But I have already been surprised some this off season already.

One thing about JBJ is that he is reportedly looking for a situation where he is going to start and play every day. If the DH is not happening in the NL, the Mets can’t promise that to him.

If it is remotely close, he is going to pick a team where he is the unquestioned starter in CF. I would be really surprised to see Jackie sign with the Mets with the DH not locked in for the NL.

But I have already been surprised some this off season already.

Right, which I totally get for him. Another name I've seen thrown out is Albert Almora; he's at least a right handed bat and he wouldn't expect to play every day

How are we feeling about Bryant to the Mets? Lots of noise that the Mets are now favored to land him. I think it depends on what they have to give up to get him... Mets can't afford to lose more prospects. Also what's the ripple effect if Bryant slots in at 3rd? McNeil to 2nd... JD stays in left?

with no DH its Dom in left right now.

if they had a DH then Bryant at 3rd Dom/JD split left Dom/Pete split first and Dom/JD/Alonso split the DH.

with no DH its Dom in left right now.

if they had a DH then Bryant at 3rd Dom/JD split left Dom/Pete split first and Dom/JD/Alonso split the DH.
MLB is such a mess, how do you announce this in late Jan? Mets need to go get JBJ and platoon him with Nimmo.

How are we feeling about Bryant to the Mets? Lots of noise that the Mets are now favored to land him. I think it depends on what they have to give up to get him... Mets can't afford to lose more prospects. Also what's the ripple effect if Bryant slots in at 3rd? McNeil to 2nd... JD stays in left?
I am not excited about this idea. Even if it was a straight salary dump type thing. No interest in trading prospects. I would think JD would go to the Cubs in a deal. They would get younger, get a good player to fill in at 3rd and their payroll gets drastically reduced.

Bryant is a couple of years older than JD, maybe a little better fielder and probably a better hitter. Walks a lot more, and at least has shown more power so far in his career.

But JD makes $2.3 million and Bryant makes around $19 million. Is he worth $16 plus million dollars a year? As a Met fan, yes, we don't have to pay it but we should care because there is a limit to payroll and these kinds of moves limit flexibility. So you end up without a decent backup catcher and maybe with a 3rd level left handed relief pitcher.

Plus JD is a clutch hitter and if you listen to interviews and follow the team closely, he is really well liked and a great chemistry guy in the clubhouse.

So for me, I would rather spend that $16 million in an area where the needs are more acute and the return will likely be higher.

BTW, I continue to expect the DH will be adopted again by the NL before the season starts, this time permanently, and continue to think our top priority is to get a CF who can field and hit. CitiField has a big OF and Nimmo and Conforto aren't great in LF and RF. We really need a CF with range and a strong arm to take this from one of the worst defensive teams in the league to a good one (all in one off season).

I am not excited about this idea. Even if it was a straight salary dump type thing. No interest in trading prospects. I would think JD would go to the Cubs in a deal. They would get younger, get a good player to fill in at 3rd and their payroll gets drastically reduced.

Bryant is a couple of years older than JD, maybe a little better fielder and probably a better hitter. Walks a lot more, and at least has shown more power so far in his career.

But JD makes $2.3 million and Bryant makes around $19 million. Is he worth $16 plus million dollars a year? As a Met fan, yes, we don't have to pay it but we should care because there is a limit to payroll and these kinds of moves limit flexibility. So you end up without a decent backup catcher and maybe with a 3rd level left handed relief pitcher.

Plus JD is a clutch hitter and if you listen to interviews and follow the team closely, he is really well liked and a great chemistry guy in the clubhouse.

So for me, I would rather spend that $16 million in an area where the needs are more acute and the return will likely be higher.

BTW, I continue to expect the DH will be adopted again by the NL before the season starts, this time permanently, and continue to think our top priority is to get a CF who can field and hit. CitiField has a big OF and Nimmo and Conforto aren't great in LF and RF. We really need a CF with range and a strong arm to take this from one of the worst defensive teams in the league to a good one (all in one off season).
I think the problem is that there aren't that many CF who can both field and hit out there to be gotten. I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of the incremental value of Bryant over JD vs the cost. There are better places to spend that money.

I think the Mets get Bauer and JBJ... the Bryant stuff is noise from the Cubs trying to generate interest in a player they want to unload.

Bryant would not be on the top of my list of a way to spend money.. I am fine with what they have now. find another rlvr if they can and see what happens on the starter front.. Bauer at big money for 1 yr fine..

I know Cohen is loaded, but we already have to pay Conforto,Lindor,Thor longterm.

I think the problem is that there aren't that many CF who can both field and hit out there to be gotten. I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of the incremental value of Bryant over JD vs the cost. There are better places to spend that money.

I think the Mets get Bauer and JBJ... the Bryant stuff is noise from the Cubs trying to generate interest in a player they want to unload.
Agreed.

There was just a good article talking about how right now, today, we are in the midst of the golden era for shortstops. There have never been as many top notch shortstops in the game and it isn't even close.

If there was a term for the opposite of 'golden era'...let's call it 'poop era' , this might be the poop era for center fielders. You are absolutely correct. Forget about 5 tools. It is hard to find any center fielders who are genuinely good fielders and hitters.

Even Trout (whom I have only seen play in all star games and a couple interleague games against the Mets) is considered a well below average fielder by the fielding metrics I have seen.

It is weird and unfortunate and of course, the Mets do not have anyone in their farm system remotely close to helping here.

There was a report shortly after Cohen bought the Mets and the off season stuff was just starting that he really wanted to sign George Springer and Sandy really wanted to sign Trevor Bauer. I thought then that when push came to shove, Cohen would get his guy and Sandy would miss out. If it happens the other way around, it is pretty strong testimony to me that Steve is not going to be mettling Steinbrenner type, but really is leaving the big decisions to the experts.

Personally, I don't see how it would be possible to sign JBJ and Bauer. That has to be at least $40 million added to the payroll. I could see the Mets going a little over the limit but not way over it. And I think there are still other things that need to be addressed...specifically another relief pitcher, a backup catcher.

So I think they sign JBJ, add a relief pitcher and a backup catcher. Given I have been surprised by almost everything the Mets have done this winter, you can almost bank it that I will be wrong on this. ;)

Springer was the guy, still kind of ticked they passed on him, at this point just sign JBJ and hope the rest of the lineup gives you enough offense, if Alonso recovers from his soph slump, it should.

Agreed.

There was just a good article talking about how right now, today, we are in the midst of the golden era for shortstops. There have never been as many top notch shortstops in the game and it isn't even close.

If there was a term for the opposite of 'golden era'...let's call it 'poop era' , this might be the poop era for center fielders. You are absolutely correct. Forget about 5 tools. It is hard to find any center fielders who are genuinely good fielders and hitters.

MLB now has been doing their Top 10 at every position the last few weeks, and I was stunned when I saw the CF list. Really a dearth of good CF right now

MLB now has been doing their Top 10 at every position the last few weeks, and I was stunned when I saw the CF list. Really a dearth of good CF right now
Here is that list...

CENTER FIELDERS
1) Mike Trout, LAA (Last year: 1)
2) Cody Bellinger, LAD (2)
3) George Springer, HOU (5)
4) Ramón Laureano, OAK (unranked)
5) Whit Merrifield, KC (3, at 2B)
6) Starling Marte, PIT (8)
7) Lorenzo Cain, MIL (3)
8) Aaron Hicks, NYY (4)
9) Brandon Nimmo, NYM (6, at RF)
10) Brett Gardner, NYY (unranked)

Hicks, Nimmo and Gardner really aren't CFs. Cain is 34 years old. Not sure why Luis Robert is not on this list. He is a true CF with great range (won a GG as a rookie) and he can hit some too.

Even Springer played RF a lot while with the Astros. Jake Marisnick was one of the guys who shared CF with Springer.

makes it harder to really complain about just riding Nimmo as well.