2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

I have a feeling he gets in after he passes away. His punishment will Be never getting to see himself get in.
It was announced over the weekend that ineligibility is not affected by death:

Anyone who cheated by taking performance enhancing drugs is out. Period. We know who they are. Why reward them padding their stats by cheating.

Justify it, finesse it, equivocate it or mitigate it any way you want, but willfully partaking of known illegal substances (as per MLB) to prolong or enhance careers is cause for ineligibility and is a gross disservice to those who didn't take them (and yes, in some cases these PEDs didn't exist and would have been a temptation for players in an earlier era).
One ex: Barry Bonds never hit more than 60 or even 50 home runs his entire career except when he hit 73 at age 36.

I'm not going to respond to counter arguements I'm all to familiar with. You may have them, but nothing will obviate the fact that these guys cheated - knowingly and some even twice. Therefore they should be barred. I'm usually more considerate about issues, but to me this issue is so egregious and so binary that the HoF should just say no to cheaters - especially the ones who deny it.

Better get rid of Mickey Mantle, then. Greenies (speed) were illegal, kids.

That’s some Vince McMahon type stuff.

Give people their flowers while they’re here to smell them.
In general, yes.

In Rose's case, no. There has to be punishment for breaking a cardinal rule.

How far the MLB HOF has fallen.

please expand. I think I know what you are meaning but want to make sure

the career needed to get in. seems to be a low bar. mlb seems to be worse than the other sports.

baseball lends itself to longer careers so more guys who have solid peaks but end in different ways. so guys who have 5-7 solid and 5-7 ok are looked at better than 5--7 solid and they are gone or below avg towards the end. this allows some huge variations in stats which drive so much of this. football is the opposite most are gone after 5-7 so not as many are stat padders.

the career needed to get in. seems to be a low bar. mlb seems to be worse than the other sports.
It seems to get lower last night they were trying to make a case for Scott rolen. Very good player nowhere near hof.

It’s good to see Bonds is getting closer.
I think he will get into in the next 3 years.
Screw Clemens.

Schilling and Walker have a great shot next year with no slam dunks next year.
Schilling should hope Trump loses so the BBWAA Trump haters don’t use that against him like some do.

It’s good to see Bonds is getting closer.
I think he will get into in the next 3 years.
Screw Clemens.

Schilling and Walker have a great shot next year with no slam dunks next year.
Schilling should hope Trump loses so the BBWAA Trump haters don’t use that against him like some do.

You might not LIKE Clemens, but he certainly belongs in the Hall of Fame.
He averaged a 17-9 record with a 3.12 ERA - for TWENTY-FOUR SEASONS!

Third most strikeouts all time. For his career, he had a rating of over 139 wins versus replacement (WAR). And he won roughly 2/3 of his games.

7 Cy Young Awards, 7 ERA titles.

I think that's true to some extent, but I guess I don't think it's too extreme. I don't think Harold Baines should've come close to getting in, and Alan Trammell is probably a "Hall of Really Good" player.

I might be missing some others. Who is on your list that you don't think should be in?

I think that's true to some extent, but I guess I don't think it's too extreme. I don't think Harold Baines should've come close to getting in, and Alan Trammell is probably a "Hall of Really Good" player.

I might be missing some others. Who is on your list that you don't think should be in?
Apart from the main HoF ballot process, I think the nature of the various special committees (in terms of their small size and makeup) almost ensures that there will be many curious and controversial HoF inductees.

Peter Gammons is a giant dweeb. He had Larry Walker on his ballot last year, drops him off the ballot this year, but only checked off 6 guys? Then says he hopes Larry doesn't miss it by 1 vote? Of the 6 guys he chooses for this year one of them is Scott Rolen? Huh?

Last edited:
Apart from the main HoF ballot process, I think the nature of the various special committees (in terms of their small size and makeup) almost ensures that there will be many curious and controversial HoF inductees.

I think that's definitely fair to say. I think it might be an idea that had good intentions... well you know what they say about good intentions.

There’s plenty that don’t belong imo. Baines, Thome, Sandberg, Trammell, etc. But who some of the voters voted for is ridiculous. There’s only one deserving this year. Jeter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom