2020 Masters | Syracusefan.com

2020 Masters

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Given that there is a lack of large sports events other than football right now thought we can create a new thread for this.

My early pick value wise is 28-1 - Patrick Cantlay.
Straight up I would lean to Jon Rahm.

Will be interested to see how this plays or feels different in November compared to April.

Last edited:
everyone i have seen talk about says the difference will be if the temp changes because the grass/greens is pretty much the same speed as they control that so well.. wont be as pretty though.

I root against him but Brycen is probably the favorite with how he is playing.

His results have actually been up and down. His last 8 events, 5 events were poor showings. He has had 2 really good events (of course really good #1 at US Open, #4 at PGA) and one other top 10. The other 5 events were 25 (out of 30), 50 (out of 70), and two missed cuts.

The two most important events he did well. Does he have some Koepka in him?

he has done well in events where the driver was crazy straight or the risk of bad drives was so low it didnt matte that he didnt hit it straight. the masters has enough trees he needs good driving

Last edited:
I think all the long hitters crush it and Augusta becomes the first event with their own ball in 2021.

he has done well in events where the driver was crazy straight or the risk of bad drives was so low it didnt matte that he didnt hit it straight. the masters has enough trees he needs good driving
I think a lot of people are worried what Brycen is going to do at Augusta this year. He has literally distanced himself from the rest of the golfing world with his length off the tee.

I disagree with you about Augusta being too tight for him. There is no rough and the fairways are wide. It was and remains a bombers course.

There are a bunch of holes that will play completely different with a carry of 375 or 400 yards. He is going to have a lot of wedges into par 5s. I think the likely rain is going to make the greens softer and allow him to attack the pin a lot.

Agree with the thought that this year might drive Augusta National to require all players to play with a standard ball next year that limits distance. It is something the PGA needs to start doing for all courses. The game was not meant to be solely about distance. Going to a standard ball will not level the playing field but it will at least give the shorter players a chance to compete.

it will be interesting to watch.. no fans means the pressure will be different.. they also have made some changes to the course.. right now there is rough.. still deciding on whether to cut it. also trees have been added in spots like over the bunkers on 18 which is where the expected bryson to bomb it.. also on the end of 13.

also the grass didnt not die out as they expected so that will cause some issues too.

Thursday could be a complete washout. Weather looks dreadful the whole weekend. Yup. 2020

i just read the forecast was warm with up to a 1/2 inch of rain.. that sounds like a pretty normal day down there.

it will be interesting to watch.. no fans means the pressure will be different.. they also have made some changes to the course.. right now there is rough.. still deciding on whether to cut it. also trees have been added in spots like over the bunkers on 18 which is where the expected bryson to bomb it.. also on the end of 13.

also the grass didnt not die out as they expected so that will cause some issues too.
I don't believe they have ever played the Masters with rough. That goes back to the way Jones and Roberts wanted things.

Wow, that would be a huge departure. I know they have great pride in making that course one of the toughest to play and keeping the scores as high as possible. Never thought I would see the day when they start growing rough at Augusta though.

Thursday could be a complete washout. Weather looks dreadful the whole weekend. Yup. 2020

The next PGA tournament is in Georgia and is a low tier event (the RSM).
They can extend the Masters until Tuesday without any problem.

It's Masters Week. Remember guys its not fans -- it's patrons. It's not rough -- it's the first and second cut.

Watching the interviews its amusing how all the players have been drilled on saying this. DeChambeau in his current interview has said patrons about 8 times.

I get amped for the Masters, but at the same time I feel dirty about it at times.

I don't believe they have ever played the Masters with rough. That goes back to the way Jones and Roberts wanted things.

Wow, that would be a huge departure. I know they have great pride in making that course one of the toughest to play and keeping the scores as high as possible. Never thought I would see the day when they start growing rough at Augusta though.

There has always been some rough at the Masters, although not much -- certain places on the course do have it though. Not generally excessive or thick or on every hole. People are just not allowed to call it rough, or the analysts will get cancelled and banned by the Masters committee.

Last edited:
The Masters Field was based on qualifying rules effective as of April (pre suspension)

So certain players in the World Top 50 right now that are playing well right now and that would typically make it did not.

Daniel Berger
Viktor Hovland
Ryan Palmer
Harris English
Joaquin Niemann
Mackenzie Hughes.

Add in Garcia who is out with Covid, very odd to see a major with only 43 of the top 50 in the world. Still an extremely strong field either way.

The Masters Field was based on qualifying rules effective as of April (pre suspension)

So certain players in the World Top 50 right now that are playing well right now and that would typically make it did not.

Daniel Berger
Viktor Hovland
Ryan Palmer
Harris English
Joaquin Niemann
Mackenzie Hughes.

Add in Garcia who is out with Covid, very odd to see a major with only 43 of the top 50 in the world. Still an extremely strong field either way.
I was looking forward to betting Hovland, I didn't realize he wasn't in the field until this week haha

I have Wolff 50-1 and Champ 100-1 tickets so I'll be watching them until they're out of reach. I'm not too confident Wolff hangs around like he did in the Open.

Might take a shot with Morikawa or Schauffele

2015 Shafer, horrible vintage. Much prefer the 2013 if I have to think about it.

That menu looks like something I could order at The Woods, but when I’m down there I’d much rather hang at the Square Grouper.

2015 Shafer, horrible vintage. Much prefer the 2013 if I have to think about it.

That menu looks like something I could order at The Woods, but when I’m down there I’d much rather hang at the Square Grouper.

Yeah, I mean 2013 at least had a bowl game.

It's Masters Week. Remember guys its not fans -- it's patrons. It's not rough -- it's the first and second cut.

Watching the interviews its amusing how all the players have been drilled on saying this. DeChambeau in his current interview has said patrons about 8 times.

I get amped for the Masters, but at the same time I feel dirty about it at times.

Masters is fine, but I always preferred the US Open. I love the carnage. I also like the fact that if you're good enough (1.2 handicap) you can qualify your way in. Senior players like Freddie Couples can still make top 20 finishes indicates the course isn't as tough as the fanboys want to believe. I hope Bryson demolishes it.

I was looking forward to betting Hovland, I didn't realize he wasn't in the field until this week haha

I have Wolff 50-1 and Champ 100-1 tickets so I'll be watching them until they're out of reach. I'm not too confident Wolff hangs around like he did in the Open.

Might take a shot with Morikawa or Schauffele

made some small flyer bets on Reed, Hatton at 35-1 and Casey at 50-1