2020 Schedule | Syracusefan.com

2020 Schedule

Powellfan

All American
A poster on Fanlax is saying that SU will scrimmage Denver at Cortland State on October 5th. If true would be a great match-up. I am hoping they will play more regular season games next year, and less scrimmages, but this will be a good test.

Is Carrier Dome renovation still on schedule?

Who gets dropped or added?

Dome won't be available after Basketball season ends in early March.

We can have a few February home games, then who knows?

We're playing at Albany sometime in April.

ACCT is Apr 24-26.

Guessing:

at UVa Feb 29
at Hop Mar 7
at Duke Mar 21
vs ND Mar 28 (outside)
vs Hobart Mar 31 (outside)
at Cornell Apr 7
vs UNC Apr 11 (outside)
at Albany Apr 18 ?

Throw Army / Colgate / 2 out of conference games in there somewhere

Thanks OX.

Rutgers and Navy getting dropped? Be a shame , rather play a game against a ranked b10 local moreso than a no upside game with Colgate and playing an academy is always an honor in my eyes.

If those two dropped then maybe Cuse adds a Yale and/ or Maryland ? Be big games that certainly draw

Thanks OX.

Rutgers and Navy getting dropped? Be a shame , rather play a game against a ranked b10 local moreso than a no upside game with Colgate and playing an academy is always an honor in my eyes.

If those two dropped then maybe Cuse adds a Yale and/ or Maryland ? Be big games that certainly draw

We had a 2 year contract with both that ended after the 2019 season. Maybe they get renewed, maybe not.

Thanks OX.

As OE noted the Rutty and Navy games were a Home and Home contract that has now ended. I don't believe either will be renewed for this year. Could see them back on the schedule in the future.

Thanks OX.

Interested in getting more peoples thoughts on who you would like to see replace Navy and/or Rutgers (if they are in fact gone from the schedule). Desko scheduled them two years ago to improve the team's SOS and probably thought both teams would perform better than they did RPI-wise (neither made the tournament), though SU ended up with a 2-2 record over the past two years against them.

Selfishly I'd like to see a New England school get scheduled again, maybe Brown or even bring back UMass. As for the other team, I personally think their schedule is hard enough as it is without Yale or Maryland, I'd be more inclined to see them schedule a team ranked in the 8-15 range. I would have liked for it to be Denver but it sounds like they are already scrimmaging. Maybe Ohio State or Penn?

Interested in getting more peoples thoughts on who you would like to see replace Navy and/or Rutgers (if they are in fact gone from the schedule). Desko scheduled them two years ago to improve the team's SOS and probably thought both teams would perform better than they did RPI-wise (neither made the tournament), though SU ended up with a 2-2 record over the past two years against them.

Selfishly I'd like to see a New England school get scheduled again, maybe Brown or even bring back UMass. As for the other team, I personally think their schedule is hard enough as it is without Yale or Maryland, I'd be more inclined to see them schedule a team ranked in the 8-15 range. I would have liked for it to be Denver but it sounds like they are already scrimmaging. Maybe Ohio State or Penn?

Personally I would like to see them put another cupcake game on the schedule and then add another higher end team such as a Penn or Loyola or something of that nature. The current schedule is hard enough, don't think we need to run the gauntlet every single game. Give me Utah or Merrimack or at least a lower level program to give the team a breather. If Desko's overly worried about RPI then give me a SOCON team like Jacksonville or Richmond or the team that beat Duke this past season or a NE area team like Drexel/Hofstra. Wouldn't mind playing someone different for a change as SU's schedule is 90% the same year in and year out. Hard pass on Denver or OSU or Penn, we get enough challenge from Cornell, Army, Albany and Hopkins not to mention the ACC matchups.

I would like to see the following:
ACC Conf games -
UVA
Duke
ND
UNC
Cornell
Army
Colgate
Hobart
Albany (even though I think this game from SU's perspective is pointless)
Hop
Bingo/Canisius/St. Bonaventure/Merrimack/Wagner/Marist - take your pick
Holy Cross/Jacksonville/Drexel/Jax/Richmond etc
Would like to see SU play at least a 13 game schedule (preferably 14 but I get it). For that last game could do a higher end team like a Loyola or Nova or Gtown etc. I guess a Penn or OSU or a Denver would be an option but with SU's scheduling usually being pretty difficult already I don't see the need to make it insane especially when you consider that Albany should be much improved this season and Cornell and Hop are almost always top 10/15 games.

If we have concerns about the schedule being hard enough as it is we should definitely steer clear of Penn. They are quite legit now and aren't losing a ton of guys. This is a problem since there are very few teams that are not either talented and dangerous, or incompetent RPI crushers. I would be on board for UMass but it would certainly be no cake walk.

I agree with the need for another cupcake game, especially because in today's day and age even cupcake games can be dropped here and there. I have been saying for a while now that Cuse and Hopkins aren't going to be able to keep their brutal schedules going with other teams playing more games and teams like Duke willing to take on start ups and chumps like Utah and Furman. Bring on St. Bonnies haha. And maybe replace the other expired contract with someone from New York. Hofstra. Maybe one of the NY America East teams?

I agree with the need for another cupcake game, especially because in today's day and age even cupcake games can be dropped here and there. I have been saying for a while now that Cuse and Hopkins aren't going to be able to keep their brutal schedules going with other teams playing more games and teams like Duke willing to take on start ups and chumps like Utah and Furman. Bring on St. Bonnies haha. And maybe replace the other expired contract with someone from New York. Hofstra. Maybe one of the NY America East teams?

I am assuming you are the LaxFactor YouTube channel guy. If that is the case, a big thank you for putting together all of those highlight videos! You are my main source for non-Syracuse game footage/going back to good plays in cuse games. Appreciate the hard work and I'm sure many others here do as well.

I had past reservations about a 'murderers row" schedule but Cuse was 9-3 against it up to the UNC letdown ( a rematch which was extraneous to most of us until it wasn't ) and even that strong record and rpi barely got us into playoffs.

Desko seems to understand how that convoluted formula works but yes it would be healthy for players to get a mental and physical rest at certain intervals as does some other top tier d1.

Adding a couple of games vs a Bonnies, Bing, Sienna or Mercer type would allow some reserves opportunities to play and perhaps afford a few starters chance to rest their bumps and bruises as some played through.

Like the idea of away at Jacksonville but that would be a trap game and we have seen the damages of losing to a unranked team ie Colgate that is sky high for us while winning that game seemingly would not matter much to rpi . Seems gotta measure risk reward of every game and what purpose it serves beyond finding a reason to go to Florida. Lol

Do hope that we renegotiate away games with both Rutgers and Navy but if not then wouldn't mind scheduling a Loyola and BU. Also wouldn't mind dropping Colgate ( which I know wont happen ) and then adding tow softies even if one has to be mid week.

Guessing:

at UVa Feb 29
at Hop Mar 7
at Duke Mar 21
vs ND Mar 28 (outside)
vs Hobart Mar 31 (outside)
at Cornell Apr 7
vs UNC Apr 11 (outside)
at Albany Apr 18 ?

Throw Army / Colgate / 2 out of conference games in there somewhere
There were some noises during last season about moving our game to later in the year. Haven't heard anything more since the season ended.

Maybe we re-upped for another home and home?

Yes that would definitely be my assumption. RU has faded though the last 2 years which has hurt three numbers and as such affected our RIP sos etc. They haven't been a bad team by any stretch but not great either.

Yes that would definitely be my assumption. RU has faded though the last 2 years which has hurt three numbers and as such affected our RIP sos etc. They haven't been a bad team by any stretch but not great either.

With a lot of NJ kids on the team they may like having a game in Jersey for recruiting reasons.

With a lot of NJ kids on the team they may like having a game in Jersey for recruiting reasons.
That's one reason why we used to play Drexel. Home game every other year for the Philly players.

NJ has good talent and it is widening. .Rutger recruited our NJ players and will continue to draw from there first and foremost so its important that we stay ahead of them as a destination. Att Birch who went to PSU was a miss by both of us. Scarlett Knights can not be discounted, lets not forget the 18' whupping they handed us .Gonna be dangerous at attack as Charalambides, Mullins and Gallagher all return. Their D will turnover some but likely be stronger. Edelman is their big graduating loss. Cuse is supposedly seeking another game to add to schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom