2020 Transfer Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Hope were active here, would be a nice piece with Fernandez leaving
I’ll be surprised if we are actively pursuing more poles. We have 5 Poles coming in plus we will get Zach Lee and Little Kennedy back.

Interesting. If BJ is in the portal you have wonder if he is just trying to finalize some details w/ Maryland.

Definitely seems possible. No one takes in more transfers then Maryland, its crazy.

Definitely seems possible. No one takes in more transfers then Maryland, its crazy.

Tuition is $12k per year in-state. These Burlace kids will attend UMD for about what it cost them to go to high school.

IMO, in-state tuition and these colleges with full aid for students whose parents income falls below a certain threshold is an inequity that hurts private schools and should be addressed by the NCAA. SU really needs to leverage the Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship for all it is worth (like with Scanlan).

really hurts the ivys in all of this, they lose the best players and cant take any of them

If Mellen leaves it might be worth checking on this. Syracuse seems to attract a lot of Hopkins transfers. Would allow Kennedy to move up.

Unfortunately looks like Mellen is not coming back. Neither is Helmer. From a very reliable source.

Unfortunately looks like Mellen is not coming back. Neither is Helmer. From a very reliable source.
Dang. Not surprising given their redshirt history. Would feel a lot better about this if Fernandez wasn’t in the portal!

Dang. Not surprising given their redshirt history. Would feel a lot better about this if Fernandez wasn’t in the portal!

Ya tough to lose both LSM's but with Mellen its hard to get down a guy who doesn't want to spend a sixth year at SU as much as we would like him to. Will be interesting to see if SU pursues an LSM in the portal as if Mellen, Helmer and Fernandez are gone there is an opening and $$$ has been freed up.

At this point, I just hope to retain true seniors Trimboli, Porter, Dearth, & Varello for a 5th year. If it’s true that SU must cover the costs, start a GoFundMe to help out. The SU Lax community has a pretty massive reach.

Tuition is $12k per year in-state. These Burlace kids will attend UMD for about what it cost them to go to high school.

IMO, in-state tuition and these colleges with full aid for students whose parents income falls below a certain threshold is an inequity that hurts private schools and should be addressed by the NCAA. SU really needs to leverage the Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship for all it is worth (like with Scanlan).

It is nice to be getting a lot of the in-state stars for a change at UMd.
Over the years, the in-state tuition hasn't really seemed to help the Terps that much as most of the top high school players are Prep school kids and prefer to go off the schools like UNC, UVA, Ivy leagues...

For example the only starter on UMd's 2017 NCAA championship team from Maryland was Colin Heacock.

Ya tough to lose both LSM's but with Mellen its hard to get down a guy who doesn't want to spend a sixth year at SU as much as we would like him to. Will be interesting to see if SU pursues an LSM in the portal as if Mellen, Helmer and Fernandez are gone there is an opening and $$$ has been freed up.

From what I've heard, to bring back the Senior group, outside funds have to be generated. Won't come from scholarship money. Apparently Mellen has just had enough of being on campus and ready to move on more than anything else.

The fearsome foursome mentioned all presently wish to return and all will likely be back by hoop or crook unless they surprise and change their minds. Will gladly chip in if a gofundthem is needed.

Huge $ advantage that Maryland and other instate publics have . Imagine Cuse being 12k , the high cost is definitely a recruiting barrier .Not everyone drinks from the same faucet, quite a financial sacrifice for some families and players presently here.

3 good n experienced defenders may be departing but rather ride with the young athletic talent that is already here than import , Clary, Page along with returning youngsters off IR offer good capability and versatility if staff wishes to realign.

That's too bad about Mellen, to finish your last year injured like that has to be a bummer. Can totally understand his reasonings though. Not a lot of guys have decided to come back or not to comeback, but its interesting the ones who have, none are going into a sixth year. It makes sense.

SU defense should presumably be okay with Murphy, Kennedy and DiPietro plus Clary and Page. Turns out Mellen being injured this year allowed the team to prepare for next year, when it will all count. Don't know if the incoming freshmen will be ready to compete (they might miss an entire year of competition), but Kol and Drago might be able to play right away. Plus SSDM is in good shape with Dami and Aviles.

IT, are the three defenders leaving Fernandez, Helmer and Mellen? Or is there another player on the move?

If "fearsome fouresome" do come back that is a real game changer, if only because they would effect the entire field. Curious how long this drags on for, obviously a lot decisions need to be made, and not everything is known yet, but curious if one day we will wake up to a press release saying who stayed and who left, or if it will just be a drip, drip, drip of information.

Any word on Rhefuss? Have to say a lot of intrigue surrounds his choice as I (and I imagine a lot of others) assumed that Hiltz would step into that left-handed spot next year.

I can’t imagine it is “legal” for boosters to be paying/contributing tuition for these kids (No SEC lacrosse last I checked). Outside funds must mean they need to come up with it themselves.

Powell .Yes .It was the two d mentioned by another plus Fernandez.

Been no rumblings on any other lead player planning to depart. Who knows what the thoughts are of some underclassman awaiting opportunity if their eta's to field are pushed back. Hoping that all those with futures remain, Portal is growing with some mild surprises but some going to be left at the altar or settle for lesser programs.

Have a hard time believing that a way wont be found to keep the foursome mentioned who wish to return. Not sure why a gofundme wouldn't be legal means as I could pay tuition for someone if I wished. Any lawyers here for opinion?

Word is Refhuss plans to attend grad school so my guess is a return is possible assuming it's at Cuse and his class load is deemed manageable. Im sure Hiltz and Birtwhistle are very good but Refhuss experience and distributing skills would be missed so hoping he returns. If not, Seebold looked ready to step up whether that be at attack or 2nd line.

I can’t imagine it is “legal” for boosters to be paying/contributing tuition for these kids (No SEC lacrosse last I checked). Outside funds must mean they need to come up with it themselves.
Donate it to the AD & then they distribute it. I believe the NCAA approved schools offering the same amount of aid to Seniors that they were already receiving & it not counting against the 12.6 schollie limit. Trimboli & Varello being in-state helps a bit.

Isn’t Rehfuss going to law school?

Obviously, Syracuse has one. But the first year of law school is a bitch. It’d be tough to balance that with the lacrosse commitment

I do not understand this quote from the story - "In recent weeks, Penn’s Kyle Thornton and Kyle Gallagher (from our update in late March), as well as Harvard's Jeremy Magno and Dartmouth’s James Sullivan have also entered the portal. Sources have said in recent weeks that each of the seniors would either prefer to return to their respective schools or enter the workforce as opposed to transfer to a different university, especially given the unknowns of the post-coronavirus economy. " If you are limiting yourself to two options - either coming back to the school you originated at, or leaving college lacrosse, why do you need to enter the Transfer Portal at all?

I do not understand this quote from the story - "In recent weeks, Penn’s Kyle Thornton and Kyle Gallagher (from our update in late March), as well as Harvard's Jeremy Magno and Dartmouth’s James Sullivan have also entered the portal. Sources have said in recent weeks that each of the seniors would either prefer to return to their respective schools or enter the workforce as opposed to transfer to a different university, especially given the unknowns of the post-coronavirus economy. " If you are limiting yourself to two options - either coming back to the school you originated at, or leaving college lacrosse, why do you need to enter the Transfer Portal at all?

There doign that to protect themselves in case the Ivy League hangs them out to dry and they change their mind about playing another year. If they don't enter the portal and the Ivy League keeps its current stance their careers are completely over.

Makes sense to keep all options open despite order of preferences .Maybe Ivies reversed themselves (unlikely) or that lined up job fell goes by the wayside (possible) or another college comes calling offering a great fit (possible) . Believe Magno had put his name in portal before season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom