2020 Transfer Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

We need the ACC to clarify that they aren't going to pull an IVY and will allow the Seniors to come back. If that rumor about a P5 conference is accurate and the ACC pulls this nonsense we can't bring in Sowers or any other Grad Transfer who got an extra year from this past season.

The Ivy's won't allow 5th year players back, period.

The unconfirmed ACC rumor was that the conference might hold firm to the 12.6 scholarship limit. 5th years could stay but the money would be thin.

The Ivy's won't allow 5th year players back, period.

The unconfirmed ACC rumor was that the conference might hold firm to the 12.6 scholarship limit. 5th years could stay but the money would be thin.

Even that doesn't sound like the ACC I know, Swofford needs to step in and make sure ACC teams are free to bring back who they want.

Even that doesn't sound like the ACC I know, Swofford needs to step in and make sure ACC teams are free to bring back who they want.

FWIW, it was a rumor from a Track & Field website:

Not to say that SU would be interested in Dickson, but given everything going on I wonder if they will relax transfer rules between ACC teams - I beleive the standard right now is if you want to transfer from one ACC school to another you have to sit out a year. Just thinking out loud.

Anyways, just a wild 24 hours right now. I've gone from hoping Michael Sowers would suit up in Orange to worried that SU will basically lose all their fifth year players. Wild swings here. Hope they can come up with a plan sooner than later, I have to imagine a lot of these kids are getting anxious trying to decide if they want to come back for an extra year.

Wonder if any of the fifth years would be comfortable paying their own way? Its still a little concerning that no ACC player has declared that they are coming back yet.

Would be a nightmare if the big 10 was the only relevant lax conference to allow this. Such a massive advantage that someone would have to step in and put a stop to this. If the ACC does what the ivy did does that mean we also could not accept 5th year transfers from the ivys or anywhere else?

Would be a nightmare if the big 10 was the only relevant lax conference to allow this. Such a massive advantage that someone would have to step in and put a stop to this. If the ACC does what the ivy did does that mean we also could not accept 5th year transfers from the ivys or anywhere else?

If the ACC enacted the same thing then yes

If the ACC enacted the same thing then yes

Great. Lets hope it's just a rumor then. Already feels unfair to be leaving the Ivy teams in the dust, but I certainly don't want to join them on the wrong side of this.

The Ivy's have always had a policy of no 5th year grad students. Everyone is 4 and done.

In the past they have allowed 4th year players who were injured ;) to withdraw from school and apply for a waiver to be readmitted for a 5th year (actually repeating their 4th year as an undergrad).

All the Ivy's are doing is closing the loophole and reinforcing their existing policy.

There are two different ACC rumors floating around out there:

1. Wisconsin has announced they they will not be allowing any 5th year players to return. It has been rumored that other P5 schools may follow suit. Nothing confirmed.

2. It has been rumored that the ACC will enforce existing scholarship limits. Meaning 12.6 scholarships for LAX regardless of how many 5th year players return. Again, nothing confirmed.

It would be nice for the ACC to make a statement one way or another, so the players and recruits and fans will all know. Maybe after their next conference meeting at Amelia Island.

The NCAA already announced that all transfers, including 5th year transfers, will count against the scholarship limit of whichever sport. The NCAA ruling is that 5th year players who stay at their "original" school won't count against the limits. Putting 2 and 2 together, all the Ivy players will have to go to another school to play and they will count against the scholarship limit.

ACC rumor would seem to jive with Porter’s comments here.

4FE07EAA-CCC2-4B67-BD82-66740CE2E7F8.jpeg

You would like to think that Cuse is very attractive to Sowers - can play for his former coach March and play for the #1 team. It would help if Sowers knew who was coming back for Cuse.

Our offense is Jam packed with legit talent. Even more so if Rehfuss and Trimboli come back. I would not be at all confident about seeing the field at Cuse as a transfer if I was anyone short of Jeff Teat and Mike Sowers. Unfortunately the Dylan Palonettis of the world will probably not even consider us based on that alone. Your options are to essentially beat out cook on attack (you aren't replacing #22 Scanlan as the offball wizard, you are probably not beating out a *6th year* senior in Rehfuss on the left side and/or Hiltz) or become the 6th guy on the second middie line (you probably aren't beating out two extremely talented seniors in Lipka and Buttermore and unless you are the second coming of Kyle Harrison you aren't sniffing the first line). Then with the eligibility mess who can possibly know how many of those guys will actually be gone next year besides Trimboli and Rehfuss? I imagine any transfer we get will be a long pole of some kind.
watched Pallonetti in hs. He is capable of playing either attack or middle very well. Athletic and skilled. Maybe not Sowers but who is. I would be after him regardless of the obstacles posed by the current SU team. I believe there will be more transfers and dropouts because of the uncertainty of a lacrosse season next spring. Maryland has a whole bunch of good players standing on the side line who could start on any other team. Make the phone call.

that coach has likely contacted some to indicate interest because the expanding list already has some very good players .

First to call tend to make a positive impression without locking anyone in .

Powell made good observation about no ACC announcing return . Just expressed wishes with 'we'll see what happens " caveats.

Time for ACC to clarify rather than leave members, players and families swaying in the wind.

The only benefit I can see to this situation playing out is you'd have to imagine the Big 10 would get hammered in recruiting - its one thing for the Ivy League to not allow the fifth year players, but if the ACC did the same, have to imagine they would be competing against the Big 10 in a very similar talent pool. All ACC coaches would have to say is "good luck competing against an extra class of kids for playing time."
Now recruiting itself might be hard enough given that college coaches won't see any high school lacrosse for an entire spring and possibly summer. So good luck with that.

The only 2 Big Ten schools that I have noticed announcing returning seniors are OSU and PSU, both who have tons of football money.
So far I have only noticed regular seniors (non-redshirt):
PSU: O'Keefe, Arceri, Cardile, Kneese
OSU: LeClaire, Terefenko, Henrick
Ament is not returning, red shirt senior.
Lucas Buckey is not returning, red shirt senior.

The only benefit I can see to this situation playing out is you'd have to imagine the Big 10 would get hammered in recruiting - its one thing for the Ivy League to not allow the fifth year players, but if the ACC did the same, have to imagine they would be competing against the Big 10 in a very similar talent pool. All ACC coaches would have to say is "good luck competing against an extra class of kids for playing time."
Now recruiting itself might be hard enough given that college coaches won't see any high school lacrosse for an entire spring and possibly summer. So good luck with that.

In the end I think it is more of an edge to say as a big 10 school "our team is poised to be successful and get to memorial day weekend with the extra class of players" and that could cancel out any downside from the counter point of "good luck competing against an extra class of kids for playing time." Kids want to be on a team that will win championships and have the best shot of getting in the playoffs as well. When a transfer decides on a new school, a top concern is almost always playing time since that is probably a big reason why they left. Not really the same feeling with freshman coming out of high school. They are thinking they have a shot at beating the competition rather than a college sophmore who already knows for a fact they have guys locked in above them. Could likely be a situation where we end up picking up a lot of big 10 transfers rather than having an edge in recruiting out of high school.

While there will be many questions to answer in the coming weeks, Sowers does know what he’s looking for wherever he gets the opportunity to play next.

“Great academics, obviously, but I want to go win a national championship,” he said. “That’s been my goal since I’ve been at Princeton. I want to win a national championship and bring one to a group of guys that is a special locker room. That’s what we had at Princeton. I want to provide that spark to a locker room and fit into a culture where I can put a program in the best position to win a national championship.”

While there will be many questions to answer in the coming weeks, Sowers does know what he’s looking for wherever he gets the opportunity to play next.

“Great academics, obviously, but I want to go win a national championship,” he said. “That’s been my goal since I’ve been at Princeton. I want to win a national championship and bring one to a group of guys that is a special locker room. That’s what we had at Princeton. I want to provide that spark to a locker room and fit into a culture where I can put a program in the best position to win a national championship.”

Maybe he can ask Chase what he thinks about the locker room :p

Sweet baby Jesus. ACC better not screw this up or there will be a riot

You've posted a few things here recently concerning the "extra year" that I found to be a little overdramatic/misplaced. This is not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom