2020 Transfer Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

That's too bad about Mellen, to finish your last year injured like that has to be a bummer. Can totally understand his reasonings though. Not a lot of guys have decided to come back or not to comeback, but its interesting the ones who have, none are going into a sixth year. It makes sense.

SU defense should presumably be okay with Murphy, Kennedy and DiPietro plus Clary and Page. Turns out Mellen being injured this year allowed the team to prepare for next year, when it will all count. Don't know if the incoming freshmen will be ready to compete (they might miss an entire year of competition), but Kol and Drago might be able to play right away. Plus SSDM is in good shape with Dami and Aviles.

IT, are the three defenders leaving Fernandez, Helmer and Mellen? Or is there another player on the move?

If "fearsome fouresome" do come back that is a real game changer, if only because they would effect the entire field. Curious how long this drags on for, obviously a lot decisions need to be made, and not everything is known yet, but curious if one day we will wake up to a press release saying who stayed and who left, or if it will just be a drip, drip, drip of information.

Any word on Rhefuss? Have to say a lot of intrigue surrounds his choice as I (and I imagine a lot of others) assumed that Hiltz would step into that left-handed spot next year.

From what I have heard: Trimbo, Porter, Dearth, Rehfuss, Varello all have expressed serious interest in coming back..That's the final group from what I've heard...whether they all pull through or not TBD...all contingent on a significant fundraising effort by the program and through the Cuse lax network.

One thing worth considering is what happens to the attack unit if Rehfuss does come back? ...Have to wonder about Hiltz. He should be ready to go right away...does he/Scanlan move to midfield? Cant' see #22 on the second midfield unit if Trimbo is back ..Don't know if Hiltz can/wants to run there...Does Cook take another run up top? lots of pieces to be managed and think through if this comes together.

One thing worth considering is what happens to the attack unit if Rehfuss does come back? ...Have to wonder about Hiltz. He should be ready to go right away...does he/Scanlan move to midfield? Cant' see #22 on the second midfield unit if Trimbo is back ..Don't know if Hiltz can/wants to run there...Does Cook take another run up top? lots of pieces to be managed and think through if this comes together.

If Rehfuss comes back its likely Hiltz will be the 4th attackmen and rotate in regularly for either Cook or Rehfuss depending on the game and how each is playing. I don't think Hiltz will struggle to see time at all and could even surpass one of the current starters at attack if Rehfuss comes back. Hiltz has played midfield but I don't see SU playing him there as even if Trimbo doesn't make it back SU still has more middies then it knows what to do with and Buttermore would probably bump up immediately. Cook at midfield is also over from what I was told as the staff feels he is not comfortable there.

Ward Melville. Strong Island.
Played with Aviles at Ward. Highly regarded att coming out of HS but didn't hit field while fellow frosh att Maltz started all and shined. Maryland probably be active again in portal.

Our offense is Jam packed with legit talent. Even more so if Rehfuss and Trimboli come back. I would not be at all confident about seeing the field at Cuse as a transfer if I was anyone short of Jeff Teat and Mike Sowers. Unfortunately the Dylan Palonettis of the world will probably not even consider us based on that alone. Your options are to essentially beat out cook on attack (you aren't replacing #22 Scanlan as the offball wizard, you are probably not beating out a *6th year* senior in Rehfuss on the left side and/or Hiltz) or become the 6th guy on the second middie line (you probably aren't beating out two extremely talented seniors in Lipka and Buttermore and unless you are the second coming of Kyle Harrison you aren't sniffing the first line). Then with the eligibility mess who can possibly know how many of those guys will actually be gone next year besides Trimboli and Rehfuss? I imagine any transfer we get will be a long pole of some kind.

Our offense is Jam packed with legit talent. Even more so if Rehfuss and Trimboli come back. I would not be at all confident about seeing the field at Cuse as a transfer if I was anyone short of Jeff Teat and Mike Sowers. Unfortunately the Dylan Palonettis of the world will probably not even consider us based on that alone. Your options are to essentially beat out cook on attack (you aren't replacing #22 Scanlan as the offball wizard, you are probably not beating out a *6th year* senior in Rehfuss on the left side and/or Hiltz) or become the 6th guy on the second middie line (you probably aren't beating out two extremely talented seniors in Lipka and Buttermore and unless you are the second coming of Kyle Harrison you aren't sniffing the first line). Then with the eligibility mess who can possibly know how many of those guys will actually be gone next year besides Trimboli and Rehfuss? I imagine any transfer we get will be a long pole of some kind.

Should Sowers decide to continue his college career I can almost guarantee SU will pursue him. However, as you noted its hard to see a lot of openings for any other transfers unless they are at a Teat/Sowers level or a LSM/ Close D guy the staff loves.

Rumors are that Yale will follow Princeton's lead and not allow seniors to withdraw. Ierlan potentially in play.

Should Sowers decide to continue his college career I can almost guarantee SU will pursue him. However, as you noted its hard to see a lot of openings for any other transfers unless they are at a Teat/Sowers level or a LSM/ Close D guy the staff loves.

Exactly. Literally not one middie I can think of who I would even want to transfer here.

Edit: Sam Handley. That's it.

Exactly. Literally not one middie I can think of who I would even want to transfer here.

Edit: Sam Handley. That's it.
Even prior to the virus, with Handley injured this year, I envisioned a scenario where he’d graduate from Penn & then use his remaining year to reunite with Dordevic, his former HS teammate, for a final year together.

Also worth noting, our former HS verbal & 1st Team AA D George Baughan, a junior this year, should have an extra year to play after graduating from Princeton next year. Lots of moving parts & things to think about.

Last edited:
Pallonetti should have 4 years of eligibility.
Maltz is a right-hander, while Pallonetti is a lefty - so they weren't really competing directly.

One thing I keep in mind when thinking about the incoming freshmen, like Hiltz, is that they have missed out on their senior season - and they could well miss out on clubs and camps during the summer. The U-19 games have been cancelled, so Hiltz won't be practicing for the Canadian team. So the freshmen might be a little "fresher" than usual.

Sowers commit to Cuse.

That would certainly be a great outcome but this rumor about the ACC and 5th year players would be a horrible development for our own 5th year guys less a player like Sowers. That recruitment will take awhile to figure out I think.

will be in the hunt for sure ..

UVA would like to replace Krauss and PSU would love to replace Ament too ..

Kim twins rumored to be heading out

will be in the hunt for sure ..

UVA would like to replace Krauss and PSU would love to replace Ament too ..

Kim twins rumored to be heading out

Makes sense on the Kims. Little road to playing time at middie at this point for at least one other season.

Obviously Sowers plays over everyone, but the attack unit is in really good shape, with or without him and rehfuss. Hiltz, Birtwistle, and Ferris is quite the hall. I've wondered if Scanlan would move eventually move back to middie with Trimboli and that big junior class moving on in another year?

We need the ACC to clarify that they aren't going to pull an IVY and will allow the Seniors to come back. If that rumor about a P5 conference is accurate and the ACC pulls this nonsense we can't bring in Sowers or any other Grad Transfer who got an extra year from this past season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom