2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

Dying to know where we stand with the portal. Are we trying really hard and failing? Are we not trying at all? Where on that spectrum are we? The only thing that would disappoint me is if we are not trying to land someone for the defense. Next year has the potential to be ugly as hell if we see zero new faces on that end, barring like 3 younger guys having breakout years. A guy with some experience and half way decent stats who played for a solid team automatically has a shot at outplaying guys like Horan Murphy and Dami. Don't care about any of these whiffs with offensive guys. A young guy like Murphy from Hop or Mitchell from OSU would be nice but far from the end of the world. They could have legit concerns about playing time at cuse. A D transfer on the other hand should be looking at us should be thinking "I have a very good shot to play." Makes me wonder if we are even reaching out.

Cant' speak for each individual player but was told that SU was going to be minimally involved in the portal this off-season by choice.

Last edited:
Dying to know where we stand with the portal. Are we trying really hard and failing? Are we not trying at all? Where on that spectrum are we? The only thing that would disappoint me is if we are not trying to land someone for the defense. Next year has the potential to be ugly as hell if we see zero new faces on that end, barring like 3 younger guys having breakout years. A guy with some experience and half way decent stats who played for a solid team automatically has a shot at outplaying guys like Horan Murphy and Dami. Don't care about any of these whiffs with offensive guys. A young guy like Murphy from Hop or Mitchell from OSU would be nice but far from the end of the world. They could have legit concerns about playing time at cuse. A D transfer on the other hand should be looking at us should be thinking "I have a very good shot to play." Makes me wonder if we are even reaching out.
jennings - prov, rock - uva and horn - gettysburg
is that most of the list?

rock from uva if no issues, but now has sat 2 years basically.

horn more of a takeaway guy than wycoff, and new coach toner might keep him there. edit: looks like g'burg may not have grad school.

jennings maybe.

it was much earlier, but caccamo is coming in via transfer already.

Cant' speak for each individual player but as told as was going to be minimally involved in the portal this off-season by choice.
Respect that decision for the O. Do not respect it for the D.

horn more of a takeaway guy than wycoff, and new coach toner might keep him there. edit: looks like g'burg may not have grad school.

jennings maybe.

Caccamo could be great for us but anything short of him having a Mellen/Kennedy type instant impact won't be enough to save the D. Even if he is that good out of the gate then we would have essentially only solved replacing Wycoff. We still need some help there.

Caccamo could be great for us but anything short of him having a Mellen/Kennedy type instant impact won't be enough to save the D. Even if he is that good out of the gate then we would have essentially only solved replacing Wycoff. We still need some help there.

I think there is still a chance they could add a player or two before the fall especially on defense. I also wouldn't be surprised if a player popped up after the fall as well if the staff identifies some areas of weakness.

if it makes you feel any better, duke loses jt giles and their AA goalie, i believe both nd and unc lose 2 starting defensemen (including each w AA types), and uva is now potentially looking at replacing 5 of their 7 first unit guys, including goalie and 1st team lsm.

some coming back to the pack there, in need of guys stepping up or stepping in, across the board.

I think there is still a chance they could add a player or two before the fall especially on defense. I also wouldn't be surprised if a player popped up after the fall as well if the staff identifies some areas of weakness.
I certainly hope so. Another reason for concern is that some of the bench guys we tried just did not have it at all. Staats (who may be not returning anyway), Michael Page, and the older Hapney brother all looked mediocre in the handful of times they saw the field, both with athleticism and IQ for the position. I'm not holding my breath for one of them to break out, and any loss to injury could mean they play major minutes for us. A known commodity would relieve a lot of stress.

I certainly hope so. Another reason for concern is that some of the bench guys we tried just did not have it at all. Staats (who may be not returning anyway), Michael Page, and the older Hapney brother all looked mediocre in the handful of times they saw the field, both with athleticism and IQ for the position. I'm not holding my breath for one of them to break out, and any loss to injury could mean they play major minutes for us. A known commodity would relieve a lot of stress.

Staats is a crease cover guy who never really fully recovered from his ACL injury. I think SU wanted to reward him with the man down position but he's not any sort of starting option at this point in his career. The older Hapney may benefit from the change to Petro and getting a chance to get a regular off-season in the system, I wouldn't write him off completely but he did not look good. Page seemed to regress from the few times we saw him the previous seasons, will be an uphill battle for him to get PT with Clary and Drago probably ahead of him and several other LSM's incoming.

jennings maybe.

There is also Sillah from Towson and Rizzoti from Dartmouth (though he may be in for '23), Bardwell from Cornell and Alexander from UNC. I think Cuse should take a look at all those players as they seem to be upgrades. But in the Gait article that was recently done by the Athletic (it's under the Gary Gait thread), Gait says he wants rosters of about 50. If I counted correctly the current roster is about 57 guys, so, higher than what he wants. I didn't get the sense he wants a roster that small right away, but saying that and then starting off the season with a 60+ roster probably isn't in his plans either.

I would be more upset if he adds guys just to add them, but it would be nice to see an impact player added, if just for the fact it would mean someone buys into the new coaching staff. It did seem that for a stretch every guy being added to the portal was met with "Must be getting a call from Gait soon ...". Now that doesn't look to be the case. We will of course get a better picture when recruits can start committing and this anxiety can go away.

There is also Sillah from Towson and Rizzoti from Dartmouth (though he may be in for '23), Bardwell from Cornell and Alexander from UNC. I think Cuse should take a look at all those players as they seem to be upgrades. But in the Gait article that was recently done by the Athletic (it's under the Gary Gait thread), Gait says he wants rosters of about 50. If I counted correctly the current roster is about 57 guys, so, higher than what he wants. I didn't get the sense he wants a roster that small right away, but saying that and then starting off the season with a 60+ roster probably isn't in his plans either.

I would be more upset if he adds guys just to add them, but it would be nice to see an impact player added, if just for the fact it would mean someone buys into the new coaching staff. It did seem that for a stretch every guy being added to the portal was met with "Must be getting a call from Gait soon ...". Now that doesn't look to be the case. We will of course get a better picture when recruits can start committing and this anxiety can go away.
sillah and rizzoti are in it for '23.

Apparently OSU has gathered in Noah Mendoza, D, from Lafayette.
I still don't really see a replacement for LeClaire and OSU's offense struggled this past spring. Of course G. Mitchell transferred out. So I still have OSU at 6th in the Big 10.

Apparently OSU has gathered in Noah Mendoza, D, from Lafayette.
I still don't really see a replacement for LeClaire and OSU's offense struggled this past spring. Of course G. Mitchell transferred out. So I still have OSU at 6th in the Big 10.

They brought in Knox from Hobart, does that not count as Leclair replacement? He’s probably not as good but skills wise is pretty similar. Big 10 does not look great talent wise going into next year.

They brought in Knox from Hobart, does that not count as Leclair replacement? He’s probably not as good but skills wise is pretty similar. Big 10 does not look great talent wise going into next year.
Not really. While LeClaire had a bit of an off year last year, he has been an All-American. I don't really know a lot about Knox.

Hard to say. Not a strong recruiting year for the Big 10, but they have brought in some nice transfers. The Big 10 had some nice freshman performances: Boehm, Knobloch, Malever, and Hopkins had a nice group getting their feet wet - who might take a nice step forward this fall.

ACC doesn't look quite as talented at this point either.

Not really. While LeClaire had a bit of an off year last year, he has been an All-American. I don't really know a lot about Knox.

Hard to say. Not a strong recruiting year for the Big 10, but they have brought in some nice transfers. The Big 10 had some nice freshman performances: Boehm, Knobloch, Malever, and Hopkins had a nice group getting their feet wet - who might take a nice step forward this fall.

Hopkins and Michigan will definitely be better, good young talent on both squads but questions remain about consistency and defense. Michigan may finally be ready to get over that hump, maybe.

Maryland should take a slight step back but not by much. Lots of transfer action but Bernhardt is not replaceable at least right away. Faceoffs remain a big ? but Offense should still be top 5 easily.

Rutty will take a step back but still a formidable squad who will have a shot at the tourney but will need to avoid losses to PSU and OSU. Attack and Goalie are huge question marks despite the transfer bonanza and Knobloch's about to see a #1 defender for the first time in his College career.

Penn State and OSU seem like a battle for the basement. Both lost a lot to graduation and weren't exactly good last year. Will benefit from playing some actual OOC games and cupcakes but hard to see either challenging for a B10 title or a tourney berth.

ACC loses a lot but they still bring back a lot of talent. Id say all five teams are still in the top 10. Big 10 didn’t perform well last year AND loses a lot of talent. Penn State and Ohio State had a lot of fifth year seniors and had losing seasons.

Since this is the transfer thread, reports on FanLax say Zach Lee is off to St. Joe’s. Good luck to him.

Hopkins and Michigan will definitely be better, good young talent on both squads but questions remain about consistency and defense. Michigan may finally be ready to get over that hump, maybe.

Maryland should take a slight step back but not by much. Lots of transfer action but Bernhardt is not replaceable at least right away. Faceoffs remain a big ? but Offense should still be top 5 easily.

Rutty will take a step back but still a formidable squad who will have a shot at the tourney but will need to avoid losses to PSU and OSU. Attack and Goalie are huge question marks despite the transfer bonanza and Knobloch's about to see a #1 defender for the first time in his College career.

Penn State and OSU seem like a battle for the basement. Both lost a lot to graduation and weren't exactly good last year. Will benefit from playing some actual OOC games and cupcakes but hard to see either challenging for a B10 title or a tourney berth.
It is fair to note the PSU didn't do as well as expected last year, and the "a lot" that they lose to graduation did not perform as well as in the past, so the loss doesn't seem so great. PSU does pull in a good recruiting class with 4 UA AAs.

I think a big thing for PSU would be if freshman Will Peden could take over as feeder, allowing TJ Malone to be more free lance. PSU needs to get better contributions from Jack Kelly and Jack Traynor at midfield.

Hm... PSU already has a 2022 roster up:

With OSU, I question their offense, but Caton Johnson should be a large improvement in goal. They bring in a decent FO man transfer to work with Inacio. They have a top defensive recruit in Van Buren, along with 2 defensive transfers. So overall, I think OSU looks a little stronger at that end of the field.

OSU does bring in an athletic A/M recruit from IMG, Ari Allen, who might help the offense.

Last edited:
ACC loses a lot but they still bring back a lot of talent. Id say all five teams are still in the top 10. Big 10 didn’t perform well last year AND loses a lot of talent. Penn State and Ohio State had a lot of fifth year seniors and had losing seasons.

Since this is the transfer thread, reports on FanLax say Zach Lee is off to St. Joe’s. Good luck to him.
Big Ten was 4-2 out-of-conference against NCAA tmt teams.

In the end, I think the ACC has lost a lot more top players that will be harder to replace. While the ACC's recruiting classes are stronger, especially at UNC, The Big Ten has done better with transfers. While the ACC is still stronger, the gap between the leagues should be about the same if not a little closer.

Syracuse finished the regular season #11 in the coaches poll, then lost badly to Georgetown. Their recruiting class is not too strong and they haven't picked up many transfers. Notre Dame has a big face- off hole; lost 2 AAs from the defense, and look like a tentative top 10 team at most.

Last edited:
Big Ten was 4-2 out-of-conference against NCAA tmt teams.

In the end, I think the ACC has lost a lot more top players that will be harder to replace. While the ACC's recruiting classes are stronger, especially at UNC, The Big Ten has done better with transfers. While the ACC is still stronger, the gap between the leagues should be about the same if not a little closer.

Syracuse finished the regular season #11 in the coaches poll, then lost badly to Georgetown. Their recruiting class is not too strong and they haven't picked up many transfers. Notre Dame has a big face- off hole; lost 2 AAs from the defense, and look like a tentative top 10 team at most.
The big 10 transfers either went to MD (whose is already an elite team in the nation/big 10) or are not majorly impactful transfers. Rutty got a ton of guys, but none of them are nearly as impactful as Kirst last year. Maybe the closest is Cameron from UNC or Bartolo from Penn but both are nowhere near a Kirst type impact. Certainly not get enough to replace Charalambides, Kirst brothers, and Mullins. They did have a solid D last year though. Not sure who they lose there besides the goalie.

Ohio State similar story. Knox from Hobart is a good player who will help them but not a major game changer and the Hobart FOGO put up good numbers but is not a 100% guaranteed success as he rarely did it against a quality fogo. Brought in Caton Johnson a couple guys for the D but they are not guaranteed impact players as far as I know. And they are starting from not a good position at all.

Hop only brought in a freshman who did not see the field for UVA and a DIII goalie. Potential there but certainly not slam dunks. However the team as a whole did not lose much and could be solid next year. Penn State and Michigan I believe bring in nobody?

If people want to put Cuse out of the top 10, or Rutgers or Hop above Cuse in their preseason rankings, I would not complain too much. That is more because of us looking bad than them looking good. Cuse is still solidly in a better spot than OSU, Penn State, or Michigan IMO. Every other ACC school looks better than every big 10 team except MD, and I don't see much of an argument against that.

The big 10 transfers either went to MD (whose is already an elite team in the nation/big 10) or are not majorly impactful transfers. Rutty got a ton of guys, but none of them are nearly as impactful as Kirst last year. Maybe the closest is Cameron from UNC or Bartolo from Penn but both are nowhere near a Kirst type impact. Certainly not get enough to replace Charalambides, Kirst brothers, and Mullins. They did have a solid D last year though. Not sure who they lose there besides the goalie.

Ohio State similar story. Knox from Hobart is a good player who will help them but not a major game changer and the Hobart FOGO put up good numbers but is not a 100% guaranteed success as he rarely did it against a quality fogo. Brought in Caton Johnson a couple guys for the D but they are not guaranteed impact players as far as I know. And they are starting from not a good position at all.

Hop only brought in a freshman who did not see the field for UVA and a DIII goalie. Potential there but certainly not slam dunks. However the team as a whole did not lose much and could be solid next year. Penn State and Michigan I believe bring in nobody?

If people want to put Cuse out of the top 10, or Rutgers or Hop above Cuse in their preseason rankings, I would not complain too much. That is more because of us looking bad than them looking good. Cuse is still solidly in a better spot than OSU, Penn State, or Michigan IMO. Every other ACC school looks better than every big 10 team except MD, and I don't see much of an argument against that.
kids and programs develop over a year. but for now it looks like the gap between umd and the rest of the b1g widens.

You make some good points about the B10 transfers outside of the guys Maryland got.

Rutgers to me is a fascinating case and I am very interested to see how all these incoming transfers work out. I think Bartolo has the ability to be an impact type guy but I agree outside of him I don't see anyone else that really jumps out. Cameron is a good crease attackmen with great size obviously but there is no Chris Gray to feed him the ball, will be interesting to see if he can put up numbers assuming he gets the starting job. Rutty brings in two D3 guys and a few other guys from lower level D1 teams. ND has had some success in doings this but not sure RU can depend on doing the same. Losing all three starters at attack plus their top goalie and I believe their top cover guy is a lot for even the bluest blood team to recover from less Rutty.

PSU does bring in 4 UA's as Zack noted but really nothing via the portal and they seemed to have issues all over the field last year. Michigan hasn't been active at all either which is a little surprising although they have a fairly young team. They have recruited fairly well and that is starting to show but again consistency remains elusive.

I am not sure what to make of Hopkins. They definitely ended the year strong and have some real nice young offensive pieces and got Desimone to come back for a final season. That said they still have struggled to put forth a consistent 1st mid line less a 2nd and their star attackmen still doesn't look right after that Knee injury way back in I believe the fall of 2019 or very early 2020. I suspect their record will be a lot better then it was this year but Williams (although an enigma) is gone and they don't have a lot of quality depth if a few guys go down and goalie is still a mess.

Taking a look at OSU they did more then I thought in the portal and seems like they will be back to their roots under Myers in being a very tough defense but an offense that leaves a LOT to be desired. Knox had a falling out with the Hobart staff last year and not sure how effective he will be against quality B10 opponents. I did like the FOGO pickup though.

Can't really agree with you here. Notre Dame has the question mark at FO with both Gallagher and Leonard gone. They also lost their top defenseman Kielty and HM AA LSM Thornton. Further, they lost their 2nd leading goal scorer in York. The transfers don't look particularly strong, but they do add some UA AAs.

imo. if Jacobice and Mirer are indeed returning then ND would be the 2nd best team in BIG if Mirer and Jacobice because Irish have some real strengths starting with Pat Kavanaugh and Entenman and still look very solid to me on both ends. Corrigan aggressively jumped to restock his backline and got the two best close defenseman imo available in portal in Douglas and Reynolds who will slip right next to #1 Cohen. Yorke was indeed a key last year , a underrated loss as was Maher who will be replaced by Fedoraka. Kavanaugh's younger bro Chris is a 2021 five star recruit , IL #4 recruit in 2021 . He has a similar game and toughness as older bro and could start immediately as third att , if not then either transfer Hawkins or one of their many mids will drop. Fogo search did not seem to be Corrigan's priority . Almeida actually appeared in several games as a frosh and likely will be a competent fogo after a year practicing agaisnt two good ones. Do suspect Corrigan is not finished and looking to upgrade a position, expect a flipor two by end of fall. Where ND stands in ACC is unclear to me but certainly see them as a top ten team which I cant say about Rutgers or JHU or Cuse

Almeida actually appeared in several games as a frosh and likely will be a competent fogo after a year practicing agaisnt two good ones.
Seems like a large stretch there.

Reynolds was All-Southern Conference, but Douglass was not All-Pat league. I am not sure you cans say these were the two best.

In the end, my point is not that some would favor ND, but there would be an agrument to put a Big Ten team in front of an ND.

IMO, imo those two were. Saw much of both Douglas and Prybinski in NJ HS play and edge to former. Reason why Corrigan struck quickly . At fogo, ND also has Will Lynch, a top rated fogo in 2021 class arriving. Corrigan doesn't not seem to be too concerned about that position. Season will tell but believe ND is going to be a very good team again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom