2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

i would imagine kastner starts on the backline and bower bumps maybe permanently up top to play with wayer. with either fulton or bower as a 4th close.

where had you heard gavin was going to be behind nunes?
I think you can connect the dots with Rode not being on the roster and Gavin transferring right?

Im not connecting the dots very well other than Nunes is the starter . May be wrong but as far as individual components , think goalie and fogo positions tend to have largest impacts
on outcomes other than overall team talent .

Just question if relying on a frosh tender is living precariously for a team with a real chance to repeat
again. Nunes might be special frosh as some frosh are but most need some time adjusting to top twenty college play. Having said that , Kreig stepped right in for UNC and her wasn't as heralded as Nunes.
Dont know much about UVA g backups Thompson and Roselle other than they are two vets with very limited college game experience . Lars does laud both in his write-ups.

Thought Tiffany rolled the dice some with fogo depth and overeliance on LaScalla, thought he was banged upat times . Surprised backups took such few reps but it all worked out
It all worked out and Braun now has a year under his belt. Tight transferred , not aware of a fogo transfer or 21 fogo recruit but would assume UVA has a third fogo.

I think you can connect the dots with Rode not being on the roster and Gavin transferring right?
i never expected rode. there hasn't been any indication at all that was happening. the opposite, really. gavin transferring does not mean he was "behind nunes". that may be the probability, but nowhere near set in stone.

if he starts at su, maybe he'll catch an interview.

Last edited:
Gavin has transferred to Cuse,
i understand that. and that may make it likely to assume that's a reason. and may even make it the likely reason.

but it doesn't make it the reason.

i understand that. and that may make it likely to assume that's a reason. and may even make it the likely reason.

but it doesn't make it the reason.

Soooo what’s the reason?

Soooo what’s the reason?
i don't know. i know i could list several dozen possibles.

here are some facts on the ground:
-lars hadn't made any public statements naming a pre-season starter.
-gavin and nunes had split time in the fall scrimmages. gavin started more often (either 2 or all 3) with starters, and had more time with them.

given the above, it would be unusual for lars to name a starter in the fall, or at least one that wasn't gavin. his past practice is to allow competition to sort out positions where it was close. even week by week.

opinion not fact... they each played well in the scrimmages (i saw 2 and read about the third).

a lot more practice time is in there than scrimmage time, behind closed doors. i commented because it was stated as fact. and that's news to me.

I gotta agree with wgdsr here, being the starter or not is not always the reason for transfer. Two recent examples include Wisnauskas, and Scanlan. Both left their teams for reasons beyond PT and a starting position. The LSM whose name escapes who went to Hopkins was a starter but transferred as well. Sometimes people just want a fresh start or a different scene for any number of reasons.

I gotta agree with wgdsr here, being the starter or not is not always the reason for transfer. Two recent examples include Wisnauskas, and Scanlan. Both left their teams for reasons beyond PT and a starting position. The LSM whose name escapes who went to Hopkins was a starter but transferred as well. Sometimes people just want a fresh start or a different scene for any number of reasons.
True . Gavin may have wanted to add snowboarding to his hobbies

Obviously, UVa was just too preppy for him. He got tired of having to wear a tie to football games.

Are you thinking of Jack Rapine? He was a close defenseman who Petro removed from the team. He never ended up transferring anywhere.

The official word was that Wisnauskas was homesick and wanted to move back to Maryland but the redshirt year surely factored into the decision.

Are you thinking of Jack Rapine? He was a close defenseman who Petro removed from the team. He never ended up transferring anywhere.

The official word was that Wisnauskas was homesick and wanted to move back to Maryland but the redshirt year surely factored into the decision.

No I was thinking of Fernandez our former LSM who transferred to Hop. Home sickness definitely played a role in Wisnauskas transferring, was told he was likely to have left regardless of the R-shirt or not. There was an article about it that came last year or the year before it involved his girlfriend at the time and either her sister or another friend who was at SU but had a horrific incident.

The hopkins transfer was Jared Fernandez and is a good example. He was a starter for us and LSM and did really well but for some reason decided to transfer to Hopkins. To your point it's not always about playing time.

i don't know. i know i could list several dozen possibles.

here are some facts on the ground:
-lars hadn't made any public statements naming a pre-season starter.
-gavin and nunes had split time in the fall scrimmages. gavin started more often (either 2 or all 3) with starters, and had more time with them.

given the above, it would be unusual for lars to name a starter in the fall, or at least one that wasn't gavin. his past practice is to allow competition to sort out positions where it was close. even week by week.

opinion not fact... they each played well in the scrimmages (i saw 2 and read about the third).

a lot more practice time is in there than scrimmage time, behind closed doors. i commented because it was stated as fact. and that's news to me.

Thanks, I misread your post. I thought you were implying you knew the "real" reason. Appreciate the thoughtful response. I feel like usually the reasoning behind these transfers come out in their own time, whether officially like with Scanlan, or not like Wisnauskus. I guess we never got an "official" reason for Fernandez, but it is what it is.

I think the reasons behind Gavin's transfer is that it looks a lot better for us SU fans if he did not transfer because of playing time. Either way though, I still think he is a good pickup and if he lost his job to the number one goalie recruit, it is not the end of the world.

Thanks, I misread your post. I thought you were implying you knew the "real" reason. Appreciate the thoughtful response. I feel like usually the reasoning behind these transfers come out in their own time, whether officially like with Scanlan, or not like Wisnauskus. I guess we never got an "official" reason for Fernandez, but it is what it is.

I think the reasons behind Gavin's transfer is that it looks a lot better for us SU fans if he did not transfer because of playing time. Either way though, I still think he is a good pickup and if he lost his job to the number one goalie recruit, it is not the end of the world.
While Gavin's transfer could be for any one of multiple reasons, I think the timing is particularly relevant for goalies. In a downside scenario for him, he could have remained at UVA for this season, not seen the field and be much less desirable in the portal after the 22 season. My best guess is that he considers his chance of being the starter is better at Cuse after seeing the much hyped Nunes in Fall ball. Of course, he could also have left UVA for academic reasons. I think the toughest part of this is that Cuse's current goalies must feel a lack of support and confidence from Gait and coaches.

Continue to use circuit and referrals to pursue recruits from anywhere but Cuse's pipeline with IMG has been faulty as IMG kids just haven't stuck, Porter being one exception . Let others draw their own conclusions why, jjust say that there are plenty of strong programs in tri state and Canadian regions to draw from and think Gait will do so.

As far as goalies, there will be just a month between resumption of practice and first game with two scrimmages in between. Wouldn't be surprised to see two goalies vs HC, preferable position is settled upon rather than still in flux before teams face Maryland, UVA and Army in the ensuing 2 and a half weeks.

Im not connecting the dots very well other than Nunes is the starter . May be wrong but as far as individual components , think goalie and fogo positions tend to have largest impacts
on outcomes other than overall team talent .

Just question if relying on a frosh tender is living precariously for a team with a real chance to repeat
again. Nunes might be special frosh as some frosh are but most need some time adjusting to top twenty college play. Having said that , Kreig stepped right in for UNC and her wasn't as heralded as Nunes.
Dont know much about UVA g backups Thompson and Roselle other than they are two vets with very limited college game experience . Lars does laud both in his write-ups.

Thought Tiffany rolled the dice some with fogo depth and overeliance on LaScalla, thought he was banged upat times . Surprised backups took such few reps but it all worked out
It all worked out and Braun now has a year under his belt. Tight transferred , not aware of a fogo transfer or 21 fogo recruit but would assume UVA has a third fogo.
they don't have a 3rd fogo unless one materializes in the next week or 2. thought an over-reliance on lasalla also, he was dinged up a bit, but a horse like most fogos. like with williams, you hope it doesn't accumulate. he took almost 450 faceoffs last year. in a shortened season.

roselle and thompson split a scrimmage i saw vs psu. roselle stood on his head, don't remember how thompson did. just half of one scrimmage. like most teams, they're officially thin on experienced depth there.

they don't have a 3rd fogo unless one materializes in the next week or 2. thought an over-reliance on lasalla also, he was dinged up a bit, but a horse like most fogos. like with williams, you hope it doesn't accumulate. he took almost 450 faceoffs last year. in a shortened season.

roselle and thompson split a scrimmage i saw vs psu. roselle stood on his head, don't remember how thompson did. just half of one scrimmage. like most teams, they're officially thin on experienced depth there.
Thanks , good info. Just find ind it odd that a team with title aspirations loaded everywhere else would be relatively thin at those two critical positions . Injuries do unfortunately happen as well as wear and tear that can suddenly kick in and diminish performance. Also now have the additional risk of unforeseen covid sit outs. Sure Braun is competent as he did edged out Tigh as primary backup . Cuse apparently wanted another good goalie on call despite having several on roster. . Lars must have faith in the vets aforementioned.

Thanks , good info. Just find ind it odd that a team with title aspirations loaded everywhere else would be relatively thin at those two critical positions . Injuries do unfortunately happen as well as wear and tear that can suddenly kick in and diminish performance. Also now have the additional risk of unforeseen covid sit outs. Sure Braun is competent as he did edged out Tigh as primary backup . Cuse apparently wanted another good goalie on call despite having several on roster. . Lars must have faith in the vets aforementioned.
3 goalies, none with experience, and 2 fogos is not optimal.

regarding goalies, i'm not sure what else he could've done. he brought the #1 rated guy. had what to date seems a small sample size good option #2 that would compete for the job.
and then 2 other guys. he also could have had rode as a potential returnee depending on post-season conversations. but he had 4 goalies minimum. and now mid-school year has one transferring. really not much they could do.

as far as fogo, a transfer makes them thinner than about everybody. but there are a number of things that could've been done differently here.
- more reps for braun and tygh. both of those guys were no slouches as recruits, they must have something. that goes back to the lasalla point on wear and tear also. as with the discussion on gavin, it's impossible to know how much pt played into it, but tygh is now gone.
- tygh's transfer was in the summer. plenty of time to grab a portal entry. why that wasn't done i don't know. one reason is very likely that expected PT for anyone could be very limited barring injury. but there had to be somebody available to provide depth. we'll never know. they have an lsm that's decent at mucking it up. but relying on health to prevent disaster.

there's a note on this, the hoos are limited to roster size. in the 40s. most often/almost always their roster runs out in low to mid 40s. have seen 47-48 maybe once or twice. they can't really stack 5 goalies and fogos even if they wanted to.

Would have been nice to have grabbed a Donville but content. Cuse added three good younger talents that offer long term benefit that help team continuity . Dont care for Rutgers approach of mass importing , prefer UVA approach in supplementing .

So, I wasn’t paying as much attention as perhaps I should have, but after checking out the Inside Lacrosse transfer recap, I see that Maryland lost three offensive contributors to the portal? What’s up with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom