2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

Richie Connell from Richmond is on the Denver roster for 2022. Denver native.

Great player. Smart bit of recruiting by Chemmotti to find him as it sounds like he was basically a reserve player at Hill academy. Denver does well in the portal once again, but a big step back is still to be expected on O with no Morrill and Walker (along with no TD Ierlan or Danny Logan).

Gait did say he wants another goalie. He was very impressive in the games he played last year. Uva players do have a tendency to return to the team after entering the portal.

Gait did say he wants another goalie. He was very impressive in the games he played last year. Uva players do have a tendency to return to the team after entering the portal.

Gait cut a walk-on goalie this fall who was pretty good doubt he takes Gavin. Looks like Nunes will be the starter for UVA

Great news! I like that he is a young transfer too instead of the typical aging grad transfer. The real question is if he left UVA becuase Rode is coming back next year, which was a rumor going around, or if he left because their freshman goalie is almost definitely going to beat him for the starting spot. Obviously hoping for the former, but happy no matter what!

Nothing says "splashy" like bringing in your rival's 2nd (possibly 3rd?) string goalie to be your likely starter. Don't think this says what Brent thinks it does.

Regardless, solid depth move for the Orange. Can't hurt given the uncertain goalie situation. But I'm not sure it's something to be overly excited about yet.

Nothing says "splashy" like bringing in your rival's 2nd (possibly 3rd?) string goalie to be your likely starter. Don't think this says what Brent thinks it does.

Regardless, solid depth move for the Orange. Can't hurt given the uncertain goalie situation. But I'm not sure it's something to be overly excited about yet.
I think it is too early in his career for us to be anything but excited about this. Put up 50% in three games as a true freshman and didn't do much else because he wasnt going to beat out a vet goalie with a ring like Rode. Would be a little less excited if it turns out that Rode is not returning and he is doing this because of Nunes, but even then, this is just the beginning of his career and he is clearly not useless. While I love Porter, he certainly did not fare as well against Army last year and he was in year 5.

I think it is too early in his career for us to be anything but excited about this. Put up 50% in three games as a true freshman and didn't do much else because he wasnt going to beat out a vet goalie with a ring like Rode. Would be a little less excited if it turns out that Rode is not returning and he is doing this because of Nunes, but even then, this is just the beginning of his career and he is clearly not useless. While I love Porter, he certainly did not fare as well against Army last year and he was in year 5.

Agree with Doctah here, it is hard to judge goalies who haven't seen much time, but I watched the UVA-Army game last year and came away very impressed with Gavin. I think this is a big get for Syracuse and gives them a goaltender who has actual starting DI experience. He finished with a 60% save percentage in that Army game. The following week against Loyola he wasn't nearly as good, letting in 12 goals and only making nine saves. But he's still bringing more to the table the current roster of SU goalies, and he's still only a sophomore.

Again, really hard to judge backup goalies, but neither Thompson or Katchadurian showed much in mop up duty last year. They only faced a combined 11 shots last year, but usually with backups, when they do see time, you can usually see something that gives you hope. I didn't get that sense with either Thompson or Katchadurian last year. FWIW, in 2020, Desko did give them both a shout out after an impressive scrimmage performance.

Like the quarterback position, only one can play on the field at the same time - if UVA happens to have two (or three) really good goalies, it doesn't change the fact that the "second best" could still be really good and would make another team better.

Tiffany is funny with goalies, he benched Burkinshaw in the second half of the SU game(2019) and played Rhode for the second half. However, statically speaking, Burkinshaw played better, higher save percentage. Not sure what Tiffany's criteria is for the position but I find it odd that he would settle on a true freshman so far away from the start of the season.

Tiffany is funny with goalies, he benched Burkinshaw in the second half of the SU game(2019) and played Rhode for the second half. However, statically speaking, Burkinshaw played better, higher save percentage. Not sure what Tiffany's criteria is for the position but I find it odd that he would settle on a true freshman so far away from the start of the season.
I find it a little odd too, which is why we can't rule out the possibility of Rode coming back next year, which was discussed as a possibility.

Agree with Doctah here, it is hard to judge goalies who haven't seen much time, but I watched the UVA-Army game last year and came away very impressed with Gavin. I think this is a big get for Syracuse and gives them a goaltender who has actual starting DI experience. He finished with a 60% save percentage in that Army game. The following week against Loyola he wasn't nearly as good, letting in 12 goals and only making nine saves. But he's still bringing more to the table the current roster of SU goalies, and he's still only a sophomore.

Again, really hard to judge backup goalies, but neither Thompson or Katchadurian showed much in mop up duty last year. They only faced a combined 11 shots last year, but usually with backups, when they do see time, you can usually see something that gives you hope. I didn't get that sense with either Thompson or Katchadurian last year. FWIW, in 2020, Desko did give them both a shout out after an impressive scrimmage performance.

Like the quarterback position, only one can play on the field at the same time - if UVA happens to have two (or three) really good goalies, it doesn't change the fact that the "second best" could still be really good and would make another team better.
Thompson is a very good if inexperienced goalie, one cant pass judgement off some backup mins when game is over and many subs in. A fairer assessment could have been made If Porter was relieved whenever struggling and Thompson played a half as Strang did a few years back . Suffice it to say that Thompson has performed well in both team scrimmages and practices over his two plus years and that factors more into any assessment than a few minutes of garbage time.

Having said that , Gavin is competent and staff must like what was seen to move so swiftly . Watched both Army and Loyola games vs UVA. He started slow in both games but settled after 1q . Army outplayed UVA in 2nd half and Gavin played very well . Nichtern registered 2/3 on 9 sog with Gavin stuffing him near doorstep a few times when game tightening . Agaisnt Loyola the Greyhounds jumped all over UVA in 1q but Moore and UVA O took over game and Gavin had a decent 2nd half though recall nothing as memorable as Army contest.

Not alot of practice time before season begins , would expect a three man competition between Thompson, Gavin and Katchurian and even possibly use of two goalies which is unusual at college but not unheard of. Two scrimmages will matter . Believe our goalie position 1-2 will be in relatively good hands regardless.

Thompson is a very good if inexperienced goalie, one cant pass judgement off some backup mins when game is over and many subs in. A fairer assessment could have been made If Porter was relieved whenever struggling and Thompson played a half as Strang did a few years back . Suffice it to say that Thompson has performed well in both team scrimmages and practices over his two plus years and that factors more into any assessment than a few minutes of garbage time.

Having said that , Gavin is competent and staff must like what was seen to move so swiftly . Watched both Army and Loyola games vs UVA. He started slow in both games but settled after 1q . Army outplayed UVA in 2nd half and Gavin played very well . Nichtern registered 2/3 on 9 sog with Gavin stuffing him near doorstep a few times when game tightening . Agaisnt Loyola the Greyhounds jumped all over UVA in 1q but Moore and UVA O took over game and Gavin had a decent 2nd half though recall nothing as memorable as Army contest.

Not alot of practice time before season begins , would expect a three man competition between Thompson, Gavin and Katchurian and even possibly use of two goalies which is unusual at college but not unheard of. Two scrimmages will matter . Believe our goalie position 1-2 will be in relatively good hands regardless.
Clicked around and watched some of the army game as well. He reminded me of Porter at times, in that he sometimes likes to anticipate the shot location, but at the same time is good at not dropping his stick when a guy tries to place it stick side high, something guys seem to do more and more each year. Seems to know when to anticipate and when to use his eyes and read the shot. Good at ignoring deception. Also has good size for a goalie.

Well said - I guess I remember Porter playing pretty well in mop-up duty before taking the starter's reins. Enough to make you say, "well I guess we know who will be the goalie next year". And it's a totally different position but Buttermore went off for three goals against Colgate in mop up duty before he became a solid contributor.

Again, you are totally right for calling that out for being unfair, but seeing Porter play well in mop up duty before he became a starter made me feel a lot better than what my expectations are for Thompson. There is a good chance that Thompson wins the job, but given the timing it makes me think Gait and Petro maybe weren't totally sold on Thompson. It should be an interesting battle that's for sure.

gotta say gavin transferring at this time on the surface is a bit of a head scratcher. performed well in his emergency duty and then did not appear to have lost the job thru the fall, having started at least 2 of 3 usa, canada and lehigh with the starters. and doing well. but hoo knows what all goes into it on an individual basis.

re: army, his performance was better than the numbers. the first 5 or 6 shots were on the doorstep and no one could be "expected" to make those saves. then rallied. loyola is foggier but i remember quite a few doorstep feeds.

for you nerds out there, usa and canada games were on lsn and may still be up in archives.

fwiw, he was a nationally ranked surfer as a kid. might come with an ability to not be too uptight when the pressure's on and the wheels come off for a bit. didn't like seeing him go, but good luck to him @ cuse.

Zinn is on the UVA roster, listed as 0.

I wonder what is happening with Mikie Harmeyer, who dropped off the UVA roster.

The Terps have had 2 players drop off their roster: Jake Smith and Kelan Duff.

Rode is not currently on the roster. Gavin was going to be behind Nunes.

Is Nunes a Magician? :)

From what I've seen in the highlight videos, why yes, yes he is. Folks have been particularly impressed with his outlet passes in Fall Practice and in the scrimmages vs. Team USA and Team Canada. He's part of our Texas, Texas, Texas, and Minnesota starting backline.

From what I've seen in the highlight videos, why yes, yes he is. Folks have been particularly impressed with his outlet passes in Fall Practice and in the scrimmages vs. Team USA and Team Canada. He's part of our Texas, Texas, Texas, and Minnesota starting backline.
i would imagine kastner starts on the backline and bower bumps maybe permanently up top to play with wayer. with either fulton or bower as a 4th close.

where had you heard gavin was going to be behind nunes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom