2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

This might sound bad, but I hope there are more transfers this off season. No offense to the guys listed but I don't think they were ever going to see the field at Syracuse, and the roster is frankly too large. I do not want to see any of the big names leave who we expect to be starters, and there are younger guys like Ferris and Birtwistle who I hope stay on, but getting the roster smaller isn't a bad thing here.

Lee had a chance to play here, good size and pedigree but other then that so far its guys who were highly unlikely to see the field here. Talago and Stirpe were way down the depth chart and McPeak was unlikely to win the starting job. I fully suspect at least another hand full of guys will leave as well.

This might sound bad, but I hope there are more transfers this off season. No offense to the guys listed but I don't think they were ever going to see the field at Syracuse, and the roster is frankly too large. I do not want to see any of the big names leave who we expect to be starters, and there are younger guys like Ferris and Birtwistle who I hope stay on, but getting the roster smaller isn't a bad thing here.

Hate to lose anyone from the defense. Based on our play this year, there should be plenty of playing time up for grabs.

Hate to lose anyone from the defense. Based on our play this year, there should be plenty of playing time up for grabs.

I guess my feeling is, if they weren't good enough to supplant what we saw last year, then I have a hard time seeing them making the field in '22. Freshmen are given a pass for last year. The team still has a lot of defensive depth.

I guess my feeling is, if they weren't good enough to supplant what we saw last year, then I have a hard time seeing them making the field in '22. Freshmen are given a pass for last year. The team still has a lot of defensive depth.

Maybe the new DC will see potential that Lelan didn't?

Quint made some good points on roster management in the podcast that was linked in the Gait thread yesterday. Cuse's roster has just gotten too big. Unfortunately, the women's roster was also huge. Not much may change.

Lee had a chance to play here, good size and pedigree but other then that so far its guys who were highly unlikely to see the field here. Talago and Stirpe were way down the depth chart and McPeak was unlikely to win the starting job. I fully suspect at least another hand full of guys will leave as well.o

Quint made some good points on roster management in the podcast that was linked in the Gait thread yesterday. Cuse's roster has just gotten too big. Unfortunately, the women's roster was also huge. Not much may change.
No on both.

Roster size this year looks to be closer to 50 if portal entries dont return. That number would be closer to UVA /Duke sized rosters than UNC/Denver bloat.

45 is seems to be the ideal to manage but that requires little fluff. Some programs do seem to shotgun and hope some hit while others are more selective with lesser fluff . Both incur turnover though for partly different reasons. Appears some former 4 stats leaving because quality of roster while not as large in numbers may be deeper in quality.

No on both.

Roster size this year looks to be closer to 50 if portal entries dont return. That number would be closer to UVA /Duke sized rosters than UNC/Denver bloat.

45 is seems to be the ideal to manage but that requires little fluff. Some programs do seem to shotgun and hope some hit while others are more selective with lesser fluff . Both incur turnover though for partly different reasons. Appears some former 4 stats leaving because quality of roster while not as large in numbers may be deeper in quality.
Using IL.com's opening day roster (because it's easier to count),
63 players
8 seniors
13 2021 commitments
6 transfers out (guessing)
0 transfers in yet

63-8-6+13+0 = 62

Using IL.com's opening day roster (because it's easier to count),
63 players
8 seniors
13 2021 commitments
6 transfers out (guessing)
0 transfers in yet

63-8-6+13+0 = 62
Understand those numbers but glanced at roster once again, actual size was 58 in 21' n some others likely included are not returning , still think it will be closer to 50. We shall see.

One of the bigger names in the portal that I would be interested in is Brett Dobson the Bonaventure goalie. He was a monster in high school for the Hill Academy and I saw him make some insane plays for team Canada when he played for them one summer. Also a casual save percentage of 60% last year. Even in their 0-13 2019 season he went 56%. Went to a school a couple hours down the road and could be looking for a big move to a more quality program.

I guess a big question in general is how much time and effort Gait will spend on the portal? Does he worry about alienating current guys if he brings in a bunch of new guys? Or maybe he views this as a clean slate and he can mold the roster how he wants. I'm hoping two or three quality players get targeted. Also just in terms of timing, with regular recruiting and getting settled, how much effort will he actually be able to spend using the portal? And oh yeah, since he's been coaching the women's team, how much research does he need to do on players in the portal? I imagine he'll be relying a lot on his assistants to address this.

I guess a big question in general is how much time and effort Gait will spend on the portal? Does he worry about alienating current guys if he brings in a bunch of new guys? Or maybe he views this as a clean slate and he can mold the roster how he wants. I'm hoping two or three quality players get targeted. Also just in terms of timing, with regular recruiting and getting settled, how much effort will he actually be able to spend using the portal? And oh yeah, since he's been coaching the women's team, how much research does he need to do on players in the portal? I imagine he'll be relying a lot on his assistants to address this.
I think alienation concerns need to be ignored when we are looking for defense in the portal. Honestly how mad can the returning starters get if we bring in 2 or 3 new faces for the D. You failed on every level last year and (besides Horan and Olexo) you all have years of game experience with the program. Would be a lot less happy if the Close D next year still includes Horan and Murphy than I would if we brought in some new guy who gets it done and an old face is looking mad on the sideline.

As for the O I still have quite a bit of faith. I don't think we necessarily need to pound the portal looking for someone to be a perfect Rehfuss replacement. I think his role can be replaced by one of the current starters and what we really could use is a little depth. Obviously if one of the very high end guys in the portal wants to come here (like Khan from Nova or Lulley from Penn) we take it, but I don't think we need to search like cray for a whole mountain of transfers to be successful. Some middie depth would be nice. Ferris and Cook are not middies and it was glaringly obvious last season. Quinn has what it takes to be a starting middie. 2nd line could be massively inexperienced, especially if coach Gait returns my several calls and emails and we see Curry or Dordevic on attack!

A new rule casualty.
I don't know what the deal was with Calderone. He was the main face-off man against PSU early in the season 2/26, winning 7 of 17. Then except for a couple cameo appearances, he pretty much disappeared. I figured he was probably banged up in some way.
Apparently, Shockey isn't returning, so at the moment the Terps have just Luke Wiernan and incoming freshman Shea Keethler at FO.

So the Terps should be looking for FO men on the transfer portal.

I heard Shockey isn't coming back so a little surpised unless Maryland has another top recruit coming in at the position? May be worth a look?

I think he falls into the same category as Tygh at UVA, to compete in the ACC I think you need to be doing better than 50%. He might find success in the next tier. This isn't based on any research, but with FOGOS, it really feels like you are what your winning percentage says you are. I don't think a lot of players suddenly get a lot better from their first year to their next like say, an offensive midfielder might. If anything it seems like the older a FOGO gets, the more run down they get and a little less effective they become. Ben Williams, was only around 50% at Holy Cross but became dominant when he arrived at Syracuse, so definitely not saying it can't happen, but I feel like its rare.

On Fanlax they pointed out one intriguing possibility in Hobart's Drew Blanchard - he won 65% while splitting time for the Statesmen. The level of competition was not very good for Hobart last year, so not sure if he could make the jump to ACC level. He won just 53% as a junior, but hard to know what impact the new rules had on him.

I think the Terps have had a fair number of FO men, who had moderate freshman years and then big sophomore years. So I felt alright with Calderone's .511 pct as a freshman in a covid shortened season. This year's results make things more questionable. Still, I'd rather he wasn't leaving.

What was his Apgar score?

RU has been fairly active so far in the portal. I like the Penn middie bit D3 guys csn be a crapshoot. We hit a gem with Wyckoff but plenty others struggled with the transition to D1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom