2021-22 Transfer Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Transfer Thread

I doubt that they will do a rollout like they did last year, with Instagram posts, but it would be nice to have official confirmation that a few key guys are coming back. Seebold, Phaup, Curry, Dordevic (rs so), Brett Kennedy (rs jr), Murphy (rs jr), DiPietro (rs jr), Buttermore and Quinn all have been on campus at least four years. I highly doubt all will be back, but if the team got back Seebold, Phaup, Curry, Dordevic, Kennedy and Quinn, that would be really important.

I doubt that they will do a rollout like they did last year, with Instagram posts, but it would be nice to have official confirmation that a few key guys are coming back. Seebold, Phaup, Curry, Dordevic (rs so), Brett Kennedy (rs jr), Murphy (rs jr), DiPietro (rs jr), Buttermore and Quinn all have been on campus at least four years. I highly doubt all will be back, but if the team got back Seebold, Phaup, Curry, Dordevic, Kennedy and Quinn, that would be really important.

Agree ... .as far as Phaup, would be nice to have him back, but unless there is big off-season improvement, I don't see him leading the way next season. The new rules are not his friend

Agree ... .as far as Phaup, would be nice to have him back, but unless there is big off-season improvement, I don't see him leading the way next season. The new rules are not his friend

Phaup was 57% from the X last season...there are 50+ DI teams that would KILL to have a player of his caliber right now..

Phaup was 57% from the X last season...there are 50+ DI teams that would KILL to have a player of his caliber right now..
The problem is that the average does not tell the story. 48 - 52 a game would be fine. Phaup was 80 - 20 or 70 - 30. It's the range not the mean that counts.

Yes , Phaup is a good fogo but yes he runs hot and cold which leads to outsized impact on outcomes both good and bad. Probably due to faceoff rule changes but saw greater variations in results in many other games besides just Cuse games. All about matchups, two good fogos are increasingly needed. ND had a good fogo in Leonard that didnt prevent them from recruiting Gallagher and both were used to good effect. Not knowledgeable on varying fogo tactics but logical that different strengths might be best complement.
ACC opponents had athletic fogos that not only got out but were threats off wins to go to cage to score or pass to open wing . Offense from acc fogos Duke 3-3-6, UNC 9-4-13, UVA 10-7-17, ND 4-4-8 . Cuse was 0-0-0. Not familiar with fogos in portal other than seeing Tigh agaisnt US, he was highly rated prospect and appears to be a good athlete. Blanchard of Hobart was 66%, comp could be questioned but he fared well agaisnt St Joes and Bryant fogoswho are good. Recall him doing well agaisnt Phaup in 20 but poorly agaisnt Varello. Calderone of Maryland was very dominant hs fogo agaisnt top comp so inherent talent is there to unfold for some coach.

Gait mentioned possibly adding a vet goalie but maybe done purposely to keep our goalies working hard in offseason because entire goalie stock is competent and portal doesn't stir. Chatter was that both Katchurian and Thompson were as good or better than Porter in practices and both have much quicker releases on outlets upfield plus the willingness to do so which will help transition Rather ride with the young goalies understanding there may be some early growing pains. Cant gain experience without given the experience.

imo, larger need than any vet goalie is at ssdm with Dearth gone. Aviles and Dami are coming off injuries and mediocre years . Both with good health could bounce back to varying degrees but position is key . Bardwell of Cornell and Ziin of JHU are two ssdm's in portal that possess both good size and speed. Saw Bardwell in hs and he could rip , Zinn was 7th rated player coming in but seems best suited as dm. Either would help to solidify unit.

Figured Khan would end up at Maryland, made the most sense. Maryland will be tough again next year but interested to see if they lose anyone else and obviously still monster shoes to fill despite getting Khan.

Returning players

- Seebold
- Quinn
- Phaup

- Dipo and Buttermore - done

- Barlow is a maybe / unsure

Buttermore is still a possibility from what I have heard. Injury has clouded his future.

Figured Khan would end up at Maryland, made the most sense. Maryland will be tough again next year but interested to see if they lose anyone else and obviously still monster shoes to fill despite getting Khan.
I don't really see Khan as being a significant improvement over Long or Malever. I would really prefer to see Malever get playing time so as to develop his game.

I don't really see Khan as being a significant improvement over Long or Malever. I would really prefer to see Malever get playing time so as to develop his game.
I saw Khan play a few games last year including one against Georgetown - he was a beast with great speed, skill and toughness.

That stinks about the defenseman, I had hoped he’d end up at Cuse.

Quite the haul for Maryland, have to wonder if they will see more transfers out. At some point they have to “pay” for these new additions?
Last season's new additions didn't end up starting, so why would any of the top guys transfer out.

Last season's new additions didn't end up starting, so why would any of the top guys transfer out.

I think the circumstances are different this year than last. All three of this year's transfers seem better than last year's. And for the freshman who missed their senior year of high school, and now have sat out another year, they may get antsy that another group of transfers is taking more playing time. I could be totally wrong, Duke brought in a boatload of transfers last year and only one real player of significance transferred out.

But Maryland still lost some players last year, including Pallonetti to Stony Brook. Did Avanzato transfer last year too? You never seem that excited about transfers when UMD brings them in, can I ask why? Again, I think any team would be thrilled to bring in this sort of talent.

One thing that really sucks for our purposes is that there are basically no super high quality defenders in the transfer portal so far. The Nova guys is the closest but from what I have seen he will not have the impact of a Grill from Marquette to MD. If the fanlax list is correct, then there is nothing even remotely close to a "big name" that I can see. Also it is pretty crazy the ratio of offensive guys transferring compared to defense. Maybe we receive word that we get someone without news of them even entering the portal first? DII or DIII route again? Tough situation for us.

UM skimmed the last layer of top talent publicly listed in portal .

All three of those players would have started at Cuse and put them right in mix of ACC

Donville was a 2nd team AA in Cornell's last year (2020) and would have slipped right into Trimboli spot. He's from Ontario as is Hiltz so though there was a slim possibility. Khan who we were never getting would have been a perfect match on attack line with Hiltz and Seebold. Prybinski would've added physicality and be at least a 3 c/d. Thought we'd be in the mix .

Frustrating watching Notre Dame and Maryland be so active in portal.
ND had some holes to fill and guess credentialed currents on their roster weren't considered up to snuff. Maryland fans will cite needs as well with Bernhardt , Grill and Brown/Holden all graduating but shouldn't Tillman able of fill spots that open with all those top recruiting classes that Maryland enjoys most every year. Some teams now caught in a cycle that has its pros and cons. Just my personal opinion but favor the judicious selectivity UNC and UVA moreso than numerous additions unless needs are so great since as it's easier to integrate.

As far as Cuse, maybe time gap between season end and changing staff delayed their involvement or maybe staff is just content to go with what we have with some minor fine tuning. Do have two transfers who dont register as transfers as sourced to me for whatever reason.Previously mentioned that a good fogo to complement and dm to would be my priority.

.Just hope 22 season isn't viewed as a set up for beyond and that they play to win otherwise season be a disservice to fanbase and any players returning in last year seeking to win.

I think the circumstances are different this year than last. All three of this year's transfers seem better than last year's. And for the freshman who missed their senior year of high school, and now have sat out another year, they may get antsy that another group of transfers is taking more playing time. I could be totally wrong, Duke brought in a boatload of transfers last year and only one real player of significance transferred out.

But Maryland still lost some players last year, including Pallonetti to Stony Brook. Did Avanzato transfer last year too? You never seem that excited about transfers when UMD brings them in, can I ask why? Again, I think any team would be thrilled to bring in this sort of talent.
I tend to like to see players develops as Terps. I get to know their games and appreciate them. I am perfectly happy with young transfers like Wisnauskas or BJ Burlace.

It is really more the 1-year transfers or "scabs" that I am not too keen on. If you really have a weakness like the Terps did at close defense 2 years back when they added Grill, they can be a real plus. With Khan, the Terps have either Long or Malever for the spot. The Terps also have a number of quality midfielders looking to move up
Avanzato transferred 2 years ago to Towson. I think a lot of the Terps top recruits come to play for a title contender and most of the other title contenders are pretty full up too.

UM skimmed the last layer of top talent publicly listed in portal .

All three of those players would have started at Cuse and put them right in mix of ACC

Donville was a 2nd team AA in Cornell's last year (2020) and would have slipped right into Trimboli spot. He's from Ontario as is Hiltz so though there was a slim possibility. Khan who we were never getting would have been a perfect match on attack line with Hiltz and Seebold. Prybinski would've added physicality and be at least a 3 c/d. Thought we'd be in the mix .

Frustrating watching Notre Dame and Maryland be so active in portal.
ND had some holes to fill and guess credentialed currents on their roster weren't considered up to snuff. Maryland fans will cite needs as well with Bernhardt , Grill and Brown/Holden all graduating but shouldn't Tillman able of fill spots that open with all those top recruiting classes that Maryland enjoys most every year. Some teams now caught in a cycle that has its pros and cons. Just my personal opinion but favor the judicious selectivity UNC and UVA moreso than numerous additions unless needs are so great since as it's easier to integrate.

As far as Cuse, maybe time gap between season end and changing staff delayed their involvement or maybe staff is just content to go with what we have with some minor fine tuning. Do have two transfers who dont register as transfers as sourced to me for whatever reason.Previously mentioned that a good fogo to complement and dm to would be my priority.

.Just hope 22 season isn't viewed as a set up for beyond and that they play to win otherwise season be a disservice to fanbase and any players returning in last year seeking to win.
Donville was named 2nd team AA based on five games by IL. He didn't play last season. He's definitely very good, but I'm not quite sure how good. He would seem to be a nice replacement for Griffin Brown, giving the Terps a good outside shooter, which they need.

The veteran defenseman seems like a good pick up for the Terp.
None of these transfers answer the Terp's face-off question mark.

Donville was named 2nd team AA based on five games by IL. He didn't play last season. He's definitely very good, but I'm not quite sure how good. He would seem to be a nice replacement for Griffin Brown, giving the Terps a good outside shooter, which they need.

The veteran defenseman seems like a good pick up for the Terp.
None of these transfers answer the Terp's face-off question mark.
From what I have seen of Donville he is a great off-ball facilitator but I don't think he has the shooting range of a Griffin Brown. Can finish in close with the best of them, is a good shooter from 10-11 yards and in, and is a good passer, but not someone with launches long range 100mph bombs. Also don't think he was much of a dodger for Cornell. It was always someone else getting the offense going. Both Brown and Holden are better dodgers from what I have seen. Feel like the type of things he is good at are pretty well covered by Daniel Maltz and Logan Wisnauskas, but he should compliment the dodgers that MD has pretty well when he is out there. Honestly if I was to compare his skillset to a cuse guy it would be Scanlan.

One thing that really sucks for our purposes is that there are basically no super high quality defenders in the transfer portal so far. The Nova guys is the closest but from what I have seen he will not have the impact of a Grill from Marquette to MD. If the fanlax list is correct, then there is nothing even remotely close to a "big name" that I can see. Also it is pretty crazy the ratio of offensive guys transferring compared to defense. Maybe we receive word that we get someone without news of them even entering the portal first? DII or DIII route again? Tough situation for us.

Spot on - it's really hard to determine who the top names in the portal are right now. Tehoka obviously, but remains to be seen if a team will take a chance on him. Jason Knox and Drew Blanchard the FOGO stick out to me, as well as Owen Murphy and Evan Zinn from Hopkins, and Gavin Tygh from UVA, but none of those names register like the top players from last year. Gait mentioned goalie and there seem to be some interesting options in Dolan from Binghamton, Dobson from St. Bonnies and Brandau from Maryland. Peter Rizzoti from Dartmouth seems like an interesting prospect, had two goals, 35 groundballs and 27 caused turnovers his freshman year in 2019.

'Cuse could certainly benefit from Blanchard at the face-off, but have to imagine Maryland is going to go after a FOGO pretty aggressively. Tehoka would certainly field a need but I can't imagine the new coaching staff taking a chance on him. I still wonder about Murphy but have written about him enough for now. Zinn could be an intriguing prospect if he sticks at SSDM. Knox being a lefty attackman probably means he doesn't align with what Syracuse needs. Not sure what the plan is for goalie, but Dolan does intrigue me. Rizotti sounds like he could benefit the team and allow Kennedy to move to close, but on paper he doesn't have the typical links to SU (from Lincoln-Sudbury in Mass).

There very likely could be more players in the portal, or players not in the portal but looking to make a move - Donville was never reported as being in the portal to my knowledge, and neither were any of the Notre Dame transfers.

From what I have seen of Donville he is a great off-ball facilitator but I don't think he has the shooting range of a Griffin Brown. Can finish in close with the best of them, is a good shooter from 10-11 yards and in, and is a good passer, but not someone with launches long range 100mph bombs. Also don't think he was much of a dodger for Cornell. It was always someone else getting the offense going. Both Brown and Holden are better dodgers from what I have seen. Feel like the type of things he is good at are pretty well covered by Daniel Maltz and Logan Wisnauskas, but he should compliment the dodgers that MD has pretty well when he is out there. Honestly if I was to compare his skillset to a cuse guy it would be Scanlan.
Why would Tillman even want a midfielder who can't shoot or dodge?

Spot on - it's really hard to determine who the top names in the portal are right now. Tehoka obviously, but remains to be seen if a team will take a chance on him. Jason Knox and Drew Blanchard the FOGO stick out to me, as well as Owen Murphy and Evan Zinn from Hopkins, and Gavin Tygh from UVA, but none of those names register like the top players from last year. Gait mentioned goalie and there seem to be some interesting options in Dolan from Binghamton, Dobson from St. Bonnies and Brandau from Maryland. Peter Rizzoti from Dartmouth seems like an interesting prospect, had two goals, 35 groundballs and 27 caused turnovers his freshman year in 2019.

'Cuse could certainly benefit from Blanchard at the face-off, but have to imagine Maryland is going to go after a FOGO pretty aggressively. Tehoka would certainly field a need but I can't imagine the new coaching staff taking a chance on him. I still wonder about Murphy but have written about him enough for now. Zinn could be an intriguing prospect if he sticks at SSDM. Knox being a lefty attackman probably means he doesn't align with what Syracuse needs. Not sure what the plan is for goalie, but Dolan does intrigue me. Rizotti sounds like he could benefit the team and allow Kennedy to move to close, but on paper he doesn't have the typical links to SU (from Lincoln-Sudbury in Mass).

There very likely could be more players in the portal, or players not in the portal but looking to make a move - Donville was never reported as being in the portal to my knowledge, and neither were any of the Notre Dame transfers.
At this point I would take the Rizotti guy in a heartbeat.

Alex Trippi on the list for UNC could be a good pick-up. Sort of lost in the numbers game with UNC this past Spring, but still scored 25 points.

Syracuse is in a weird spot. In the 2020 offseason they didn't have a lot of room for transfers as we all thought most positions were filled (except for defense and Nick Mellen's replacement). This year they seem to be just outside that contender grouping, and for a grad year player, they might want something that is more of a sure thing. Maryland had a lot of skill coming back but they were lucky in a way that their needs lined up pretty well with the three guys they just got (Prybloski for Grill, Donville for Brown/Holden and Khan for Bernhardt). I do think Syracuse could be a real Final Four quality team if they got 2-3 impact transfers, but without them there are some real holes in this team. And like I listed above, remains to be seen if those impact players are even available right now.

Also wonder how the staff wants to "build" going forward. Do they want to target grad transfers, or guys who more years of eligibility? Something that maybe we haven't focused on is the depth, or lack of it at the midfield. When Seebold was moved to attack last year, they basically stopped playing the second line. As of now, it's possible all three starters might leave next year (Dordevic has an extra year but he'll be on his fifth year in 2022, and Curry and Quinn are definitely gone this year). It's hard to look a year into the future but who do you see replacing them in 2023?

These last few recruiting years have been pretty weak, with Fiorini and Magnan being highly touted but not producing much, and a bunch of other guys who haven't gotten much playing time. Last year's class and this incoming one don't have a lot of highly ranked midfielders (Borges is probably it). Kempney and Rhoa come in 2023 but its awfully hard to rely on freshmen middies. Not an issue for this year really (and maybe someone breaks out on the second line), but could definitely be an issue in another year. And frustratingly enough, it doesn't look like there are a lot of proven midfielders in the portal right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom