2021 ACC Media Days July 21-22 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2021 ACC Media Days July 21-22

Babers said SU's offensive line injuries last year were largely "fluke things." Credits TE Chris Elmore for his time at guard. On sack total last fall: "We're not happy about those numbers. There's no doubt. That needs to change."

Babers touches briefly on the 2021 OL: "I think the main difference is going to be those guys are healthy. ... We'll have an older group and those guys are ready to go."

Babers on his perspective as a Black head coach. "I want to be known as a football coach, a good football coach. ... The responsibility is to make sure the things that I do in this situation allow others to have the opportunities to enjoy and embrace the same profession."

Babers is asked about the depth of his running back room: "You better not leave out Cooper Lutz." Said he thinks SU can win with Tucker, Adams, Howard or Lutz. On the depth, maturity there: "It's rare. It's really rare. I think nothing but good thoughts about that group."

Babers said young DBs have a chance to make serious strides this fall with combination of game experience and physical growth this summer.

Babers talking about NIL now, confirms recruit statements that SU will be offering its football players three courses to assist them. Also, "we're going to introduce them to certain people who we think can help them (better understand representation)."

Sixth-year DL Josh Black speaking now: "I can't go out on a losing season. Said 1-10 is "horrific" and that he didn't want to leave with a bad taste in his mouth. Takes personal responsibility for leading the team to a better record this fall.

Black: "Right now, it feels day and night from the spring." Said spring ball group was "a mile ahead" of the team that finished 2020 against Notre Dame. "The culture has changed and everyone has bought in, which is something that we needed and didn't really have last year."

WR Taj Harris: "It's definitely big being a leader." Said he's always tried to be a leader, but "I feel as though I'm coming along." He's emphasized spending time with the younger guys. On the field, Harris said he feels good going into the year. Comfortable w/ the offense."

Harris on SU's 2021 QBs: "The quarterback room has been looking pretty good." Gives a Babers-approved rundown of the room, "not just" Tommy DeVito and Garrett Shrader. Mentions JaCobian Morgan next. "I feel as though there are talented guys who can sling the ball."

Sixth-year OL Airon Servais said the biggest impact new coach Mike Schmidt has made is a shift in mentality. "We really want to get after guys, get off the ball and attack."

Servais said the OL group feels more solidified position-wise. He's also happy with how the underbelly of the group has developed this offseason.

Why Servais came back:
1. Uncertainty of 2021 draft process (showcases, combine)
2. Very close to finishing Master's
3. Seniors motivated by 2020: "We really put a lot of that weight of the season on our shoulders. That's certainly not how we want to leave our legacy."

Last edited:
A couple of things I heard that stuck out to me. Dino saying they had a change in personnel and philosphy with the offensive line and Taj saying he has confidence in the offense.
I noticed the comments about OL in particular. Philosophy / technique changes there are long overdue. Could pay big dividends.

what stuck out to me was Dino announcing Dillon as our starter for Ohio. Just kidding, want to see if anyone pays attention to my dumb posts. But seriously, I had the same impression as Upstate, that he likes this team, which if you gave him a truth serum he would not have said the same about in 2019, and with obvious Covid issues as part of it, 2020. I think he likes what he sees in enough areas to feel pretty good

I may be misremembering but I thought Dino was a bit meh about the 2019 team and was upbeat about the 2020 team until training camp started. We are better numbers wise but still a little too inexperienced, need some good coaching and development this year.

I may be misremembering but I thought Dino was a bit meh about the 2019 team and was upbeat about the 2020 team until training camp started. We are better numbers wise but still a little too inexperienced, need some good coaching and development this year.
He definitely said the 2020 team was one we'd be talking about for a long time. He didn't say HOW we'd be talking about it.

*Mentions JaCobian Morgan next

*biggest impact new coach Mike Schmidt has made is a shift in mentality. "We really want to get after guys, get off the ball and attack."

Sounds like a number of positives stated from our coach and team. Love it! Just curious though...why wouldn't all Oline coaches be establishing a mentality to get after it and be aggressive? I mean is there really any other way an oline should honestly play? What were they teaching? "Ok guys I want some relaxed and passive efforts out there! No one should be sweating...easy does it ". Just playin...glad to hear Schmidt is getting his message through to his players, here's to hoping they stomp some dline this year.

Also Black confirmed what many were saying last season that the team didn’t have very much chemistry/on the same page.
almost as if they were distracted by a global pandemic and police protests

Taj really is looking and sounding polished. No wonder he was selected. Can't wait to see him.
It was really smart to bring him to Media Day, it can have a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of effect: he is showing maturity and leadership so bring him, and by bringing him it can help ensure that he will continue to show maturity and leadership this coming season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom