2021 MLB Season | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2021 MLB Season

A lot of the “unwritten rules” I agree, they’re obnoxious and unnecessary.

I really don’t see this as an example of that though. Calling off the dogs and not running up the score at the end is not unique to baseball, and it has zero effect on the fans IMO.

I definitely agree in this case it was a bad move to swing at the pitch being up so much, but La Russa didn't really make himself look good in his post game comments. Baseball is weird.

Didn’t see the second part of that, but still think the player should respect the take sign if that’s what the coach wants.

i don’t really see the “struggling for fans” narrative in this one. The game was 15-4 or something. Fans had surely mostly tuned out by that point. Players hitting bombs and doing little shimmies in garbage time is not making or breaking the fanbase.
I'm with you on this. Not only did he swing with a take sign on 3-0 with a position player pitching but then gave the "I gotta be me" defense afterward. Tony L should have benched him last night.

I definitely agree in this case it was a bad move to swing at the pitch being up so much, but La Russa didn't really make himself look good in his post game comments. Baseball is weird.
LaRussa’s Cardinal teams were some of my least favorite in sports history so I’m not looking to side with him ever. But I think he’s more in the right here. His player had already doubled down with some dumb media comments, so I can even see the “clueless” comment.

White Sox may be the AL favorite by the way. They’re loaded.

Perfectly fine with a player swinging 3-0 up 15-4.

You know what else is perfectly fine? Getting thrown at for swinging 3-0 up 15-4.

If you believe in "calling off the dogs" why not just have a run rule? Or bunt every time you're up 11 runs or more. Silly. Keep sluggin'

You know what else is perfectly fine? Getting thrown at for swinging 3-0 up 15-4.

If you believe in "calling off the dogs" why not just have a run rule? Or bunt every time you're up 11 runs or more. Silly. Keep sluggin'
Eh. That’s like saying “throw bombs rather than take a knee in the last minute of a blowout football game”. Nobody does that.

I think the issue is more him ignoring the coach’s sign. You don’t try to get out obviously, and if you hit one out, you hit one out. Shouldn’t ignore the coaching decisions though.

Eh. That’s like saying “throw bombs rather than take a knee in the last minute of a blowout football game”. Nobody does that.

I think the issue is more him ignoring the coach’s sign. You don’t try to get out obviously, and if you hit one out, you hit one out. Shouldn’t ignore the coaching decisions though.

Football is different. When on offense up big, you'll see teams run.

What's the baseball equivalent? It's bunting or not swinging at all right? That's more disrespectful IMO

Football is different. When on offense up big, you'll see teams run.

What's the baseball equivalent? It's bunting or not swinging at all right? That's more disrespectful IMO

Id say pretty much the only restriction is don’t swing when the coach gives you the take sign, which he’s probably only going to give on a 3-0 47 mph pitch thrown by a position player. Lame to even want the HR on that. That’s like hitting a HR off a little league pitch.

Normally the baseball "unwritten rules" get an immediate eyeroll from me. But in this case, I agree you are supposed to follow the coach's signs.

Normally the baseball "unwritten rules" get an immediately eyeroll from me. But in this case, I agree you are supposed to follow the coach's signs.
Same. Like pitchers getting mad over the speed of a guy’s HR trot...huge eye rolls there.

Baseball has some different rules for sure but nothing tops whatever clown decided NCAA walk-ons have to stop playing when there is < one minute left by dribbling the clock out. That drives me out of my mind. So unfair to those guys that rarely play. Who are they hurting by continuing to play?

Fugggg thaaaat the kids eventually going to hit arbitration and every home run matters.

If a team doesn’t want the score to be run up on them maybe uhhhhh don’t get down 13-0.

Also the baseball boomers talking about unwritten rules somehow don’t get bothered by the “disrespect” shown to the game when a team trots out a position player to throw slow pitch to the other team.

The point of the game is to try to get guys out or to try to score runs. I can’t comprehend getting mad about anyone trying to do either regardless of the score.

The same goes for benchwarmers playing in basketball games at the end of blowouts. If you’re out there playing then you should play the game regardless of the other team’s feelings. Don’t get your ass kicked if you don’t like it.

Fugggg thaaaat the kids eventually going to hit arbitration and every home run matters.

If a team doesn’t want the score to be run up on them maybe uhhhhh don’t get down 13-0.

Also the baseball boomers talking about unwritten rules somehow don’t get bothered by the “disrespect” shown to the game when a team trots out a position player to throw slow pitch to the other team.

The point of the game is to try to get guys out or to try to score runs. I can’t comprehend getting mad about anyone trying to do either regardless of the score.

The same goes for benchwarmers playing in basketball games at the end of blowouts. If you’re out there playing then you should play the game regardless of the other team’s feelings. Don’t get your ass kicked if you don’t like it.
...but his coach gave him the take sign.

Mike Trout has become a bit injury prone the last few seasons. Baseball really needs stars like him on the field.

LaRussa’s Cardinal teams were some of my least favorite in sports history so I’m not looking to side with him ever. But I think he’s more in the right here. His player had already doubled down with some dumb media comments, so I can even see the “clueless” comment.

White Sox may be the AL favorite by the way. They’re loaded.
Yeah, they made your Dodgers look bad numerous times, didn’t they?

Yeah, they made your Dodgers look bad numerous times, didn’t they?
Yes. But they had to break Hanley Ramirez’s ribs to do it.

Would’ve loved to get some playoff revenge, but the Cards stopped making them.

Yes. But they had to break Hanley Ramirez’s ribs to do it.

Would’ve loved to get some playoff revenge, but the Cards stopped making them.
LOL, for only three years. And it was worth it to get rid of Matheny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom