2021 NFL Thread | Page 196 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

I agree with the trenches point.

For most of the last 10 years the Giants QB is under constant pressure while the opposing QB has all day to throw. That’s why we suck.

When we were winning championships we got after the QB just by rushing 4, and protected our QB.

Bottom line: gotta block and get after the QB.
No doubt about it.

I thought he had a sub par game but he was under fairly severe pressure from the Niners DL most of the night. He's been playing behind a makeshift line missing 2-3 starters most of the year. Bakhtiari is one of the best LT's in the game. That was a big loss for GB. At RT they lost a pro bowler in Jenkins and had Dennis Kelly who used to be a sub with Philly and is your basic journeyman. Kelly's task was blocking Bosa last night. SF has a damn good DL with plenty of depth.

Fans pay too much attention to the skill players. Most games are won or lost in the trenches.

Ehh. Burrow got hit worse than Rodgers yesterday and the Bengals still found ways to move the ball. Same
for Dallas last week.

GB did nothing outside of that first drive. You think I undervalue his lack of interceptions, but I’m a big believer in your QB needing to take chances on big throws in these games. He was perfectly content dumping it off to Aaron Jones last night. I had always suspect their lack of aggressiveness and tendency to play close games would catch up with them and it did.

When you look at the NFC, there are a few perennial contenders on the verge of 'aging out'. Packers, Saints, Bucs and possibly Dallas. Packers and Saints have major cap issues, and it's possible that neither has a ready answer at QB. Bucs are being held together with tape and Brady Magic. Cowboys will probably try to run it back one more time (Jerrah's 79, after all), but they've got cap problems, two ridiculous contracts acting as anchors, and an aging OL.

Rams and the Niners look in solid shape moving forward, but, under this scenario, teams like the Giants facing rebuilds might look pretty good in a couple of years. Just in time to take on what's certain to be...the defending Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Iggles!

If you look under 'Pass', Cousins ranks 4th, above both Herbert and Josh Allen. Under Offense, the rating difference between Cousins and Tannehill is pretty big: 88.2 for Cousins, 83.8 for Tannehill.

Hey, when it comes to lying with numbers, I'm an expert--used to work for politicians...
And that was my bad as I was looking at overall grades like a franchise would have to consider when evaluating a qb, but you're right with the pass only grade. Again, it's splitting hairs between those 2 to me. I don't think Tenn. getting Cousins is going to improve their team much at all. I'm over splitting hairs on qb's, if they ain't a franchise qb, (speaking on my own Broncos) keep looking or doing anything possible to get one. It's the only thing that matters imo. Yes the lines are key, but with great lines you still can't get over the hump to win it all unless you have an all time defense (Dilfer and Flacco) without one. My team has won it all with both formulas, I'm siding with franchise qb every time.

When you look at the NFC, there are a few perennial contenders on the verge of 'aging out'. Packers, Saints, Bucs and possibly Dallas. Packers and Saints have major cap issues, and it's possible that neither has a ready answer at QB. Bucs are being held together with tape and Brady Magic. Cowboys will probably try to run it back one more time (Jerrah's 79, after all), but they've got cap problems, two ridiculous contracts acting as anchors, and an aging OL.

Rams and the Niners look in solid shape moving forward, but, under this scenario, teams like the Giants facing rebuilds might look pretty good in a couple of years. Just in time to take on what's certain to be...the defending Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Iggles!
Niners are in good shape, but the Rams have zero cap
space and 70% of their cap dedicated to about 5 players.

The Bears are a team to watch.
59 million in cap space and a potential young QB.

The young stud QBs are in the AFC
Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Jackson

Who are the best young QBs in the NFC?
It’s Murray and Dak and maybe Fields.

Wilson is good but not young.
Same for others in the NFC.
Watson If he gets exonerated should want to be traded to the NFC.

And that was my bad as I was looking at overall grades like a franchise would have to consider when evaluating a qb, but you're right with the pass only grade. Again, it's splitting hairs between those 2 to me. I don't think Tenn. getting Cousins is going to improve their team much at all. I'm over splitting hairs on qb's, if they ain't a franchise qb, (speaking on my own Broncos) keep looking or doing anything possible to get one. It's the only thing that matters imo. Yes the lines are key, but with great lines you still can't get over the hump to win it all unless you have an all time defense (Dilfer and Flacco) without one. My team has won it all with both formulas, I'm siding with franchise qb every time.
Sorry. Wasn't trying to split hairs. I think you need a good, dependable QB to win, all things being equal. Never felt that Tannehill was that kind of QB. I mean, it's almost certain that Rodgers won't be back in GB, so that's at least one guy who could lead a team to (or near) the Super Bowl. There will probably be one or two other 'one-year rental' stars who could fit into that role. As long as you don't mortgage that much of your future.

The Bears are a team to watch.
59 million in cap space and a potential young QB.

The young stud QBs are in the AFC
Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Jackson

Who are the best young QBs in the NFC?
It’s Murray and Dak and maybe Fields.

Wilson is good but not young.
Same for others in the NFC.
Watson If he gets exonerated should want to be traded to the NFC.
Good call. They've gotta nail their coaching hire, though.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to split hairs. I think you need a good, dependable QB to win, all things being equal. Never felt that Tannehill was that kind of QB. I mean, it's almost certain that Rodgers won't be back in GB, so that's at least one guy who could lead a team to (or near) the Super Bowl. There will probably be one or two other 'one-year rental' stars who could fit into that role. As long asyou don't mortgage that much of your future.
No need to apologize, just having football discussion. At this particular time I'm very interested in this topic as my team is one that is going through this right now (along with hiring a new coach and selling the team). We were in the hunt for Cousins when he signed with the Vikings, and I'm so glad we didn't' back up the Brinks truck like they did. There's so many qb's like them in the same category, good enough to have a starting job in the league but not good enough to win it all imo. And the search goes on...

Dalton on cheap money and allow you to invest that 20 million on the rest of your roster is something teams should consider.

I don’t see much of a gap between Tannehill and Dalton. Except one costs 34 million next year and the other would cost probably 5-10 million.
Dalton stinks. If he played for 'Team X' instead of a team with a crappy history like the Bengals, more people would realize this. They were very good on both lines and skill positions and DBs when his teams were in the playoffs; him & Lewis held them back from getting 1st round byes every year.
Sick throw to Boyd though.

Ehh. Burrow got hit worse than Rodgers yesterday and the Bengals still found ways to move the ball. Same
for Dallas last week.
Ya I'm over last yr's SB being the case study everyone points to for OL importance. That only proves you can't have 4 starters out and be a total disaster.
You need a competency threshold but otherwise it's seemed to mostly not matter all that much who the elite QBs have in front of them a lot of times. When Marrone was in Buffalo he Miami & the Jets all had nasty DLs and it didn't amount to squat.

Parlaying TB -3 with Buf/KC over 54.

I wouldn’t mind LA winning but I won’t bet against Brady.

I feel like if the Cowboys were a player they'd be Stafford. After a W he's great/underrated, stuck in Detroit all those years; after a L he's a lousy overrated choker. I've just always been sort of neutral but a smidge towards the negative side. Lets see him step up, he has the better team with the Bucs injuries.

I've been thinking about this lately (memo to self: You think too much).

'Everybody' says that this is a bad year to look for a QB in the draft. What if 'everybody' is wrong?

More specifically, if there are few QB's who have the 'total package', but the offense you plan to run doesn't require the whole package but rather a more specific skill set, it could be a great year to draft a QB, especially if they get pushed further down the board than normal?

OK, I'll stop thinking now.

for Dallas last week.

GB did nothing outside of that first drive. You think I undervalue his lack of interceptions, but I’m a big believer in your QB needing to take chances on big throws in these games. He was perfectly content dumping it off to Aaron Jones last night. I had always suspect their lack of aggressiveness and tendency to play close games would catch up with them and it did.
Burrow got hit worse than Rodgers cuz he held on to the ball and got sacked nine times. The three turnovers that Tennessee had helped Cinci quite a bit although they only got in the end zone one time. The difference in the GB game was obviously special teams.

I wish.

Unfortunately the Birds defense is long in the tooth as are key parts of its OL. Plus we don't have anything more than an average QB. Rams have mortgaged the future this year with very little in the way of draft picks going forward. Of course the Birds have three first rounders but my enthusiasm is dampened by Howie Roseman running the draft.

I've been thinking about this lately (memo to self: You think too much).

'Everybody' says that this is a bad year to look for a QB in the draft. What if 'everybody' is wrong?

More specifically, if there are few QB's who have the 'total package', but the offense you plan to run doesn't require the whole package but rather a more specific skill set, it could be a great year to draft a QB, especially if they get pushed further down the board than normal?

OK, I'll stop thinking now.
The other thing everyone says is QB grades get artificially inflated due to need.
Maybe sometimes. They never mention Mahomes/Allen were thought to have been 2 of the best examples at the time...
I hope the Broncos are enjoying that tremendous value they got with Bradley Chubb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom