2021 NFL Thread | Page 211 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

If the goal is to be as efficient as possible why isn't the official nearest to the ball responsible for touching it? (sounds gross)

Again, it doesn't change anything but the lack of common sense in these scenarios is dumb to me. If you've got a 60 something umpire chugging up the field, and 3 other (likely younger) officials upfield, wouldn't it make sense to have one of those closer officials spot it?

I would think an officiating crew might be better served getting together to talk over who can facilitate the most efficient spot depending on the play location.

Last edited:
If the goal is to be as efficient as possible why isn't the official nearest to the ball responsible for touching it (sounds gross)?

Again, it doesn't change anything but the lack of common sense in these scenarios is dumb to me. If you've got a 60 something umpire chugging up the field, and 3 other (likely younger) officials upfield, wouldn't it make sense to have one of those closer officials spot it?

I would think an officiating crew might be better served getting together to talk over who can facilitate that most efficient spot depending on the play location.
I agree. But honestly, if Dallas just gets out of the guy's way and let him do his job, they get the spike off with a couple seconds to spare and all is well and good. Refs probably could have been a little more efficient in how they handled that one, but it shouldn't have mattered. Dallas knew the ball hadn't been reset and knew the guy was coming and just didn't care.

I agree. But honestly, if Dallas just gets out of the guy's way and let him do his job, they get the spike off with a couple seconds to spare and all is well and good. Refs probably could have been a little more efficient in how they handled that one, but it shouldn't have mattered. Dallas knew the ball hadn't been reset and knew the guy was coming and just didn't care.
Yeah, Dallas blew that last play (and the game for the most part).

The umpire also only has to touch the ball to spot it, doesn't have to pick it up. No idea why the umpire in the DAL/SF game picked the ball up and put it back down in a slightly different spot (forcing the QB/C to move and reset). Never seen it before in a two minute drill setting.

Mr. Analytics (McCarthy) should spend the offseason reading the rule book cover to cover so he doesn't coach the most penalized team in the league again next year.

This is part of why I felt like the victory lap when they won the wildcard round game felt excessive. It would have been like what the Red Sox celebration over the Yankees in 2004 had they not won the World Series.

Woo but who cares

No different than Pats fans over celebrating the win with 40 mph winds

Watch the replay of the Rams 44 yard gain to Kupp to get them in field goal range.

Stafford running down the field to line up to spike the ball.

Umpire and Ref 50 yards behind the play. Back judge (upfield) touches the ball while it's sitting on the turf to "spot it."

Umpire and ref barely get to the offensive backfield when Rams spike the ball.

Curious why the umpire didn't have to push the QB/C out of the way, pick the ball up and move it a foot before letting the C snap it.

(None of this changes the fact that the Cowboys deserved to lose that game. I just like pointing out the inconsistent BS of NFL officiating)
One of the more enjoyable parts of the weekend in all games were lack of flags - Think Pack game had the most with 10 and I would bet half all weekend were illegal procedure.

Everything about this league screams offense now.
Buffalo has the better team.
Mahomes feet made the difference.

Bills need a LB who can spy Mahomes.

It wasn't Mahomes. The last two drives they did not cover anyone. Receivers were wide open by 10 yards. Couple that with no pass rush and it was a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, Dallas blew that last play (and the game for the most part).

The umpire also only has to touch the ball to spot it, doesn't have to pick it up. No idea why the umpire in the DAL/SF game picked the ball up and put it back down in a slightly different spot (forcing the QB/C to move and reset). Never seen it before in a two minute drill setting.

Mr. Analytics (McCarthy) should spend the offseason reading the rule book cover to cover so he doesn't coach the most penalized team in the league again next year.

Penalties do not matter if there are no consequences. It took repeated penalties by Connor Williams over multiple games before they pulled him and even then it last exactly one game.

Part of that is Jerrah and his constant undermining of the HC and part of it on the cap. Jimmy never had to worry about the cap when he cut guys who screwed up. Now it is a real factor.

They got it right. It’s just a bad rule.
1193944706.0.jpg

Couple things that stood out. The lack of squib kick gave KC an extra play. Prevent defense never wins anything. Both teams should touch the ball in OT. Best game I’ve seen in a very very long time
Stealing this from Warren Sharp. Squib kick. Then tackle all the receivers on the first play to run clock. Should only be enough time left for a hail mary.

Newsflash to classy John Mara you could get a top 5 HC for a draft pick when you are flush with draft capital.

Buffalo has the better team.
Mahomes feet made the difference.

Bills need a LB who can spy Mahomes.
Bills defense or lack of defense on last 4th quarter drive was the difference.

Newsflash to classy John Mara you could get a top 5 HC for a draft pick when you are flush with draft capital.
I may become a full time Bills fan if Payton is gone. It will be back to the Aints for sure.

I may become a full time Bills fan if Payton is gone. It will be back to the Aints for sure.
Saints have a Patriots last year season coming. They need to bottom put one year and then get a new QB.

Once that dead money goes the Saints could be back but their credit card bill is due.

I wouldn’t give up on the Saints but they need a one year reboot.

Can you really change fandom because of who the coach is? I’m a Dolphin fan and have been since Don Shula was leading Csonka and the boys to back to back Super Bowl championships.I can’t imagine dropping my Fins for another team even though we have had terrible leadership all around for a lot of years.

Can you really change fandom because of who the coach is? I’m a Dolphin fan and have been since Don Shula was leading Csonka and the boys to back to back Super Bowl championships.I can’t imagine dropping my Fins for another team even though we have had terrible leadership all around for a lot of years.
It was a joke, but my parents had season tickets to the Dolphins in the 70’s when they lived in the Miami suburbs up until 76 and remained fans until Marino retired, but my Dad is now 100 percent a Bills fan.

A big part of it was the organization changed after Joe Robbie passed away and Huizenga became infatuated with Jimmy Johnson so my parents were not happy how Shula was treated at the end and eventually their fandom died off.

It was a joke, but my parents had season tickets to the Dolphins in the 70’s when they lived in the Miami suburbs up until 76 and remained fans until Marino retired, but my Dad is now 100 percent a Bills fan.

A big part of it was the organization changed after Joe Robbie passed away and Huizenga became infatuated with Jimmy Johnson so my parents were not happy how Shula was treated at the end and eventually their fandom died off.
It’s been hard being a fan after Shula, but it’s just in my blood.My wife’s best friends son is the General Manager of a very good NFL team and I root for them, but I just couldn’t imagine pulling harder for any team than my Fins.

I have this vision of NFL execs gathering in Miami holding coke-fueled meetings dreaming up crazy asinine rules that make no sense. My favorite is when the ball carrier dives for the pylon, fumbles out of the end zone and the other team - that never recovered the ball - not only gets possession but gets an extra 20 yards for their troubles. Meanwhile if he fumbled the ball out of bounds at the one he retains possession. Wha?

Another somewhat new one is this notion that you've made a legal catch even if the ball hits the ground. Never used to be that way. Now we have this debate over whether the receiver has control despite the ball hitting the ground. A lot easier, and much less interpretation, if you just call it incomplete if it hits the ground.

I have this vision of NFL execs gathering in Miami holding coke-fueled meetings dreaming up crazy asinine rules that make no sense. My favorite is when the ball carrier dives for the pylon, fumbles out of the end zone and the other team - that never recovered the ball - not only gets possession but gets an extra 20 yards for their troubles. Meanwhile if he fumbled the ball out of bounds at the one he retains possession. Wha?

Another somewhat new one is this notion that you've made a legal catch even if the ball hits the ground. Never used to be that way. Now we have this debate over whether the receiver has control despite the ball hitting the ground. A lot easier, and much less interpretation, if you just call it incomplete if it hits the ground.
I had never seen that (or paid attention to it I guess) but I immediately thought that will be a quick overturn it hit the ground. Too many rules in the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom