2021 NFL Thread | Page 220 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

Well I will happily eat crow on that one. Just turned it on to see Mahomes commit 11 turnover worthy plays in a span of about 4 snaps. What the? Any clips of his girlfriend now?

Did Michael Buffer just get cut off?

BTW the Bengals rested their starters and dropped a seed but still made the Super Bowl
Seems widely agreed the 3 vs 4 isn't worth much particularly when the 1 is weak. They were pretty lucky this wasn't an exception though.

The CIN/KC game just pissed me off even more, as it showed that if you pressure Mahomes, and jam Hill and Kelce at the LOS, he will make mistakes, and lots of them. If you send no blitzes or have DEs that can't get home or tackle, and let receivers run free, then...you're Leslie Frazier.

Reid botched the end of the 1st half, but I think that's partly on Mahomes. He should have known that he had :05 left - the play had to be a quick hitter, not a backwards pass.

Refs were typically clueless - DBs interfering and holding jerseys, facemarks not being called. Just brutal.

I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Burrow today, or last week. This was a BAD defense he went up against, and he put up a Fitzpatrick-type stat line.

In any event, glad KC lost. Maybe they can sign Antonio Brown this summer - he'd be a perfect fit for the "Reid culture"

The CIN/KC game just pissed me off even more, as it showed that if you pressure Mahomes, and jam Hill and Kelce at the LOS, he will make mistakes, and lots of them. If you send no blitzes or have DEs that can't get home or tackle, and let receivers run free, then...you're Leslie Frazier.

Reid botched the end of the 1st half, but I think that's partly on Mahomes. He should have known that he had :05 left - the play had to be a quick hitter, not a backwards pass.

Refs were typically clueless - DBs interfering and holding jerseys, facemarks not being called. Just brutal.

I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Burrow today, or last week. This was a BAD defense he went up against, and he put up a Fitzpatrick-type stat line.

In any event, glad KC lost. Maybe they can sign Antonio Brown this summer - he'd be a perfect fit for the "Reid culture"
He wasn't good today his scrambling was key and his best stat 3-0 with two road wins. They are going to be a factor as long as he is there.

He wasn't good today his scrambling was key and his best stat 3-0 with two road wins. They are going to be a factor as long as he is there.
Oh, they will definitely be a factor so long as Burrow stays healthy, and I do think he's a top 5-6 QB in the NFL. Just wasn't particularly impressed with him these past 2 weeks, that's all.

The one thing in Burrow's defense is that he plays behind a hideous OL.

This is going to be one of the weakest Super Bowl winners in a long time. Happy for Cincy though. Hope they win it all.
AFC 4 seed vs. NFC 4/6 seed.

Maybe (without researching it) the lowest seed matchup ever.

The one thing in Burrow's defense is that he plays behind a hideous OL.

Playcalling also, lots of wasted downs with the running plays.

Edit: the Bengals O-line only gave up 1 sack today surprisingly.

Romo said something interesting. I think he said, (trying to remember it exactly) that Joe Burrow has a chance to be only the second quarterback to win and NCAA championship, (although it didn't sound like he said NCAA, which distracted me), and NFL championship with Joe Montana being the first. I was amazed that it was so few.

Naturally, (being me), I had to look it up and it's pretty close to being right. I came up with Joe Namath, who was the quarterback of the 1964 Alabama team that wound up ranked #1 at the end of the regular season. There was no poll after the bowls so they went into the books as the national champion. But they lost in the orange Bowl to Texas, who had lost to #2 Arkansas, who was also 10-0 at the end of the regular season and won the Cotton Bowl over Nebraska. Had there been a poll after the bowls, Arkansas would surely have been voted #1:

Kenny Stabler was Steve Sloan's back-up at QB for the 1965 Alabama team that had a loss and a tie but was voted #1 after the bowls in 1965. Richard Vautravers doesn't think much of that choice, either:

Stabler was the starting quarterback for the 1966 Alabama team that went 11-0 but was ranked third behind Notre Dame and Michigan State, who tied each other. Vautravers doesn't see that team as #1, either:

Of course, Namath's Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III and Stabler's Raiders crushed the Vikings in SB XI.

Montana lead Notre Dame over #1 Texas in 1977 to win that year's National Championship and went on to win 4 Super Bowls.

Troy Aikman had started the 1985 season as Oklahoma’s QB but lost to Miami early in the season and broke his ankle in that game. Jamielle Holloway, who was more suited to the Sooners triple option, took over and led the Sooners to the national title.

Tom Brady was a back-up for Brian Griese on the 1997 Michigan team that shared the national title with Nebraska.

I went over the other T formation quarterbacks to win NFL titles and was amazed to find no one who won an NCAA title:

Sid Luckman- no

Sammy Baugh- no
Paul Christman- no
Tommy Thompson- no
Otto Graham – no
Norm Van Brocklin- no
Bobby Layne – no
Charlie Conerly- no
Tobin Rote – no
Johnny Unitas – no
Bart Starr – no
Bill Wade- no