2021 NFL Thread | Page 221 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

Romo said something interesting. I think he said, (trying to remember it exactly) that Joe Burrow has a chance to be only the second quarterback to win and NCAA championship, (although it didn't sound like he said NCAA, which distracted me), and NFL championship with Joe Montana being the first. I was amazed that it was so few.

Naturally, (being me), I had to look it up and it's pretty close to being right. I came up with Joe Namath, who was the quarterback of the 1964 Alabama team that wound up ranked #1 at the end of the regular season. There was no poll after the bowls so they went into the books as the national champion. But they lost in the orange Bowl to Texas, who had lost to #2 Arkansas, who was also 10-0 at the end of the regular season and won the Cotton Bowl over Nebraska. Had there been a poll after the bowls, Arkansas would surely have been voted #1:

Kenny Stabler was Steve Sloan's back-up at QB for the 1965 Alabama team that had a loss and a tie but was voted #1 after the bowls in 1965. Richard Vautravers doesn't think much of that choice, either:

Stabler was the starting quarterback for the 1966 Alabama team that went 11-0 but was ranked third behind Notre Dame and Michigan State, who tied each other. Vautravers doesn't see that team as #1, either:

Of course, Namath's Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III and Stabler's Raiders crushed the Vikings in SB XI.

Montana lead Notre Dame over #1 Texas in 1977 to win that year's National Championship and went on to win 4 Super Bowls.

Troy Aikman had started the 1985 season as Oklahoma’s QB but lost to Miami early in the season and broke his ankle in that game. Jamielle Holloway, who was more suited to the Sooners triple option, took over and led the Sooners to the national title.

Tom Brady was a back-up for Brian Griese on the 1997 Michigan team that shared the national title with Nebraska.

I went over the other T formation quarterbacks to win NFL titles and was amazed to find no one who won an NCAA title:

Sid Luckman- no

Sammy Baugh- no
Paul Christman- no
Tommy Thompson- no
Otto Graham – no
Norm Van Brocklin- no
Bobby Layne – no
Charlie Conerly- no
Tobin Rote – no
Johnny Unitas – no
Bart Starr – no
Bill Wade- no
Frank Ryan – no
Earl Morrall – no
Joe Kapp- no (and Len Dawson- no)
Roger Staubach -no
Terry Bradshaw- no
Jim Plunkett – no
Joe Theisman – no
Jim McMahon -no
Phil Simms – no
Doug Williams – no
Jeff Hochstetler – no
Mark Rypien – no
Steve Young- no
Brett Favre- no
John Elway – np
Kurt Warner – no
Trent Dilfer – no
Brad Johnson- no
Ben Roethlisberger – no
Payton Manning – no
Eli Manning- no
Drew Brees -no
Aaron Rodgers – no
Joe Flacco – no
Russell Wilson -no
Nick Foles – no
Patrick Mahomes -no

Pretty amazing.
Romo said “FBS National title” that was the part you couldn’t make out. And he did say burrow is trying to become the third after Montana and Namath

Romo said something interesting. I think he said, (trying to remember it exactly) that Joe Burrow has a chance to be only the second quarterback to win and NCAA championship, (although it didn't sound like he said NCAA, which distracted me), and NFL championship with Joe Montana being the first. I was amazed that it was so few.

Naturally, (being me), I had to look it up and it's pretty close to being right. I came up with Joe Namath, who was the quarterback of the 1964 Alabama team that wound up ranked #1 at the end of the regular season. There was no poll after the bowls so they went into the books as the national champion. But they lost in the orange Bowl to Texas, who had lost to #2 Arkansas, who was also 10-0 at the end of the regular season and won the Cotton Bowl over Nebraska. Had there been a poll after the bowls, Arkansas would surely have been voted #1:

Kenny Stabler was Steve Sloan's back-up at QB for the 1965 Alabama team that had a loss and a tie but was voted #1 after the bowls in 1965. Richard Vautravers doesn't think much of that choice, either:

Stabler was the starting quarterback for the 1966 Alabama team that went 11-0 but was ranked third behind Notre Dame and Michigan State, who tied each other. Vautravers doesn't see that team as #1, either:

Of course, Namath's Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III and Stabler's Raiders crushed the Vikings in SB XI.

Montana lead Notre Dame over #1 Texas in 1977 to win that year's National Championship and went on to win 4 Super Bowls.

Troy Aikman had started the 1985 season as Oklahoma’s QB but lost to Miami early in the season and broke his ankle in that game. Jamielle Holloway, who was more suited to the Sooners triple option, took over and led the Sooners to the national title.

Tom Brady was a back-up for Brian Griese on the 1997 Michigan team that shared the national title with Nebraska.

I went over the other T formation quarterbacks to win NFL titles and was amazed to find no one who won an NCAA title:

Sid Luckman- no

Sammy Baugh- no
Paul Christman- no
Tommy Thompson- no
Otto Graham – no
Norm Van Brocklin- no
Bobby Layne – no
Charlie Conerly- no
Tobin Rote – no
Johnny Unitas – no
Bart Starr – no
Bill Wade- no
Frank Ryan – no
Earl Morrall – no
Joe Kapp- no (and Len Dawson- no)
Roger Staubach -no
Terry Bradshaw- no
Jim Plunkett – no
Joe Theisman – no
Jim McMahon -no
Phil Simms – no
Doug Williams – no
Jeff Hochstetler – no
Mark Rypien – no
Steve Young- no
Brett Favre- no
John Elway – np
Kurt Warner – no
Trent Dilfer – no
Brad Johnson- no
Ben Roethlisberger – no
Payton Manning – no
Eli Manning- no
Drew Brees -no
Aaron Rodgers – no
Joe Flacco – no
Russell Wilson -no
Nick Foles – no
Patrick Mahomes -no

Pretty amazing.
Terry Hanratty was the QB for ND when they won the 1966 national championship and he also got into a SB win for the Steelers though he obviously wasn't the starter.

Bengals have some great matchups next year, would love to see them on Thanksgiving to whoop the Cowboys

Might be an early tell for the future that in year 1 of extended season its lower seeds heading to the SB

Does it seem like the halftimes today were really short? it seemed like 10 minutes.

FKY2hv4XoAowDh9

Lol- there is so much irony for a Patriots fan posting this too
Who are the Patriots version of Jackson and Britney?

I get hating the Patriots but Gisele doesn’t get attention.

Those 2 are really the only reason to dislike KC.
Patrick is a good kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom