2021 NFL Thread | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

I'm trying to determine whether Meyer's NFL career will more closely emulate Saban's or Petrino's? If it's Saban then he may be a lock for the USC job. :cool:
Does he ride motorcycles?

The Giants deserve to lose a game because of a taunting penalty because of their “classy” owner John Mara pushing this stupid point of emphasis.

It’s the dumbest rule in football.

The Giants deserve to lose a game because of a taunting penalty because of their “classy” owner John Mara pushing this stupid point of emphasis.

I support the rule. It was long overdue. The real problem is it's tough to get the shtt back in the horse. Taunting, trash-talking and orchestrated celebrations are childish and embarrassing, causing me to lose interest in the games. If I wanted WWE, I'd watch it. But I don't. I want to see a game played by real men who know how to comport themselves, rather than by overpaid, self-indulgent children.

Any Dolphins fans on here travelling to Vegas for this weekend's game?

I support the rule. It was long overdue. The real problem is it's tough to get the shtt back in the horse. Taunting, trash-talking and orchestrated celebrations are childish and embarrassing, causing me to lose interest in the games. If I wanted WWE, I'd watch it. But I don't. I want to see a game played by real men who know how to comport themselves, rather than by overpaid, self-indulgent children.

Ok Boomer lol.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think you and I are far beyond the ideal age for the intended audience for the NFL.

I roll my eyes at a lot of the taunting because that's just not the way I'm wired personally; I always took pride in being stone cold and getting in people's heads that way rather than all the false bravado. But I also just don't really see the harm that it was causing to necessitate a rule like this. Why am I supposed to be offended if a DB wags his finger at a WR after knocking a pass away? It's just dumb IMO.

There are dumber rules in the rule book, but the emphasis on taunting is also dumb.

Someone is losing a game this year on a taunting call. Hopefully it's the Gmen to stick it to Mara.

Straight slave mentality. Entertain me! (but only in the way that I find appropriate)

"Slave mentality?" LOL! Nice try. :D I watch football to see football played. That entertains me. When I want to see dancing I'll watch DWTS. When I want taunting and trash-talking, I'll watch WWE (or listen to our former president). You are aware that football was played for decades with none of the self-infantilization described above, aren't you? I never saw Jim Brown, Bart Starr, Dick Butkus, Willie Wood or Bob Lilly do any of that crap. Because it's not football, it's BS.

"Slave mentality?" LOL! Nice try. :D I watch football to see football played. That entertains me. When I want to see dancing I'll watch DWTS. When I want taunting and trash-talking, I'll watch WWE (or listen to our former president). You are aware that football was played for decades with none of the self-infantilization described above, aren't you? I never saw Jim Brown, Bart Starr, Dick Butkus, Willie Wood or Bob Lilly do any of that crap. Because it's not football, it's BS.
Not really up to you to determine how mainly African-Americans in their 20s express themselves after a big play. Or do you think it is? Makes sense to be using guys from the 60s as your examples when they were called racist names or sent death threats just for existing.

Lol. You’re showing yourself to be another John Mara.

The NFL is going to look worse than professional wrestling if teams are cost games after getting a penalty for making a great play. I am not ok with it.

Lol. You’re showing yourself to be another John Mara.

The NFL is going to look worse than professional wrestling if teams are cost games after getting a penalty for making a great play. I am not ok with it.

I have never met nor heard anything from John Mara. Opinions expressed here are my own.

What are NFL players paid to do, play football, or run their mouths after the play is over?

Hint: it's a rhetorical question :)

The NFL is still entertainment and football is supposed to be fun. I've got no problem with guys jawing a little after plays or trash talking or doing a group celebration after scoring a touchdown. Once in a while players will go over the line and that's when discipline needs to be used.

When I watch golf, I expect to see courtesy and respect since it's the gentlemen's game. When I watch football, I want to see competitiveness and spirit.

Someone is losing a game this year on a taunting call. Hopefully it's the Gmen to stick it to Mara.
Hopefully the Cowboys. To the Giants. Your meltdown would be amazing, lol.

Not really up to you to determine how mainly African-Americans in their 20s express themselves after a big play. Or do you think it is? Makes sense to be using guys from the 60s as your examples when they were called racist names or sent death threats just for existing.
Not sure how you managed to find race as the key issue in this discussion but not surprising given how certain segments of the media are obsessed with race.

I have never met nor heard anything from John Mara. Opinions expressed here are my own.

What are NFL players paid to do, play football, or run their mouths after the play is over?

Hint: it's a rhetorical question :)
It's nowhere near that simple. There is a huge element of entertainment in these sports (NFL, NBA, etc.) and people want to be entertained. And if that action/reaction gets the fans in the stands even more excited, or riled up, the team owners are getting what they actually want - visceral reactions.

I saw one player spin a football on it's end after a touchdown near his defender and he got penalized for that. That's taunting? What's the fear here - someone might get into a fight because of a spinning football?

Not sure how you managed to find race as the key issue in this discussion but not surprising given how certain segments of the media are obsessed with race.
Well when it's older, presumably white folks complaining about how young, mostly black, athletes act. That's a pretty straight line isn't it? Never seem to hear those same folks complaining about NHL players celebrating after goals.

Well when it's older, presumably white folks complaining about how young, mostly black, athletes act. That's a pretty straight line isn't it? Never seem to hear those same folks complaining about NHL players celebrating after goals.
And when the rules are being put in place by a specific group of people who all look alike for a group of players who in many cases look somewhat different...

I don't watch the NHL - do they trash talk a lot when they score goals?

I don't mind players celebrating with their teammates after a big play. I'm all for it. I have no use for the "look at me" clown that beats his chest and poses after a sack when down 35-0. Taunting can lead to stupid legit penalties such as fighting, cheap shots, late hits etc. I'm all for enthusiasm and playing the game hard but I think players should have a certain level of respect for their opponents. That's just me. I guess that's out of style these days. That said, I would only penalize egregious taunting. But none of my views on the topic have anything to with race.

Do they celebrate after saves? I hate the concept of this being racial. Can we start by actually calling things what they are: this is cultural. Being black or white has nothing to do with celebrating/taunting. It’s not inherent to race. It’s about how you were raised, where you were raised, by whom you were raised, your personality, your commitment to being singled out for doing your job, and your exuberance.
Too many things that are labeled as racial are really cultural/behavioral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom