2021 NFL Thread | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

Do they celebrate after saves? I hate the concept of this being racial. Can we start by actually calling things what they are: this is cultural. Being black or white has nothing to do with celebrating/taunting. It’s not inherent to race. It’s about how you were raised, where you were raised, by whom you were raised, your personality, your commitment to being singled out for doing your job, and your exuberance.
Too many things that are labeled as racial are really cultural/behavioral.
I can see that. Fair response indeed.

I don't watch the NHL - do they trash talk a lot when they score goals?

I don't mind players celebrating with their teammates after a big play. I'm all for it. I have no use for the "look at me" clown that beats his chest and poses after a sack when down 35-0. Taunting can lead to stupid legit penalties such as fighting, cheap shots, late hits etc. I'm all for enthusiasm and playing the game hard but I think players should have a certain level of respect for their opponents. That's just me. I guess that's out of style these days. That said, I would only penalize egregious taunting. But none of my views on the topic have anything to with race.
I'm with you on celebrating after meaningless plays where the guy was just doing his actual job. We don't see O-linemen celebrating after every play where the stop the defender from pressuring the QB. We shouldn't have to watch a D-lineman celebrate tipping a ball when getting walloped.

Gisele is Yoko Ono.
She wanted to be treated bigger than the team.

Do they celebrate after saves? I hate the concept of this being racial. Can we start by actually calling things what they are: this is cultural. Being black or white has nothing to do with celebrating/taunting. It’s not inherent to race. It’s about how you were raised, where you were raised, by whom you were raised, your personality, your commitment to being singled out for doing your job, and your exuberance.
Too many things that are labeled as racial are really cultural/behavioral.
You have valid points but cultural essentially means racial in a gentler term that is generally only used by one of the races. You bring up goalies making saves which they obviously don't really have time to do anything at that point. You can basically take 90% of the people "offended" by the celebratory actions of NFL players and fit them into a very specific subset of the population (white male born before 1970). I can also guarantee those same people are ones that will make some kind of similar remark about why they don't watch the NBA. Yes I am generalizing but I'm not wrong either.

You have valid points but cultural essentially means racial in a gentler term that is generally only used by one of the races. You bring up goalies making saves which they obviously don't really have time to do anything at that point. You can basically take 90% of the people "offended" by the celebratory actions of NFL players and fit them into a very specific subset of the population (white male born before 1970). I can also guarantee those same people are ones that will make some kind of similar remark about why they don't watch the NBA. Yes I am generalizing but I'm not wrong either.
I really wish you had said before 1965. Now I feel wrong, and old as well.

I really wish you had said before 1965. Now I feel wrong, and old as well.
Haha, I stared at the screen for a while trying to determine the appropriate year to go with there. I figure it's basically 50+ for the most part. It's all generalizing and stereotyping but have to think it's pretty accurate too.

Haha, I stared at the screen for a while trying to determine the appropriate year to go with there. I figure it's basically 50+ for the most part. It's all generalizing and stereotyping but have to think it's pretty accurate too.
Yeah, I'm 52 and born in 1969. I go back and forth on the celebrations and taunting, and it's only fairly recent that I am getting more okay with chirping at each other. And that's mostly because I see my son doing it on the basketball court and it can be funny. I'm HORRIFIC at it. Almost always immediately apologize if I make a 'mean' crack at my defender who may have fallen asleep for a moment allowing me to bury a three in his eye.

Yeah, I'm 52 and born in 1969. I go back and forth on the celebrations and taunting, and it's only fairly recent that I am getting more okay with chirping at each other. And that's mostly because I see my son doing it on the basketball court and it can be funny. I'm HORRIFIC at it. Almost always immediately apologize if I make a 'mean' crack at my defender who may have fallen asleep for a moment allowing me to bury a three in his eye.
Chirping back and forth in bball is absolutely part of the game. With both, it's not like any of it is mean-spirited and rarely causes any kind of issue. All of the cheap shots that take place in or around pile ups are 1000 times worse than this. Those actually lead to injuries and fights. Sure the moron that makes a tackle for loss down 20 in the 4th and runs 5 yards to do some kind of celebration is an idiot, and rightfully everyone sees that and thinks, gosh that guys an idiot. Guy makes a great play and feels like spinning the ball in front of the defender then go for it. And when that defender makes a great play to swat a pass away on the next drive then he better be prepared to hear about it too. It's all give and take and isn't hurting anyone...except for apparently a small group of peoples feelings.

Somebody born before 1970 could it turn it around and say today's modern athlete (black or white) is very often all about himself and his brand (or her brand when u watch a US women's soccer player pose and preen after a goal to make it 8-0).

How many times have u watched a guy score a TD and then run away from his teammates in the end zone, ripping his helmet off and saying look at me? Watch a replay of Richard Sherman and his rant when the hags beat the niners in that NFC playoff game. Acted the fool yet I would say that vaulted him into the limelight even more.

I blame the media (particularly ESPN) for a lot of it. Athletes know that they're more likely to get air time if they pose and preen while calling attention to themselves.

I happened to watch the NJ entrant in the Little League World Series a few times this summer because I know somebody affiliated with their program (Toms River). It was amazing how many kids they had that would flex and pose after a 45 foot infield hit. It's contagious.

None of this stuff is a crime or a really big deal. It's just in many ways a sign of the times.

watched Carolina last week because I was with my brother who is a fan, and watching them tonight...if Darnold turns the corner, they could be awfully tough. Defense looks loaded, best RB in the game, and solid WRs. If Darnold plays solid(looks good so far), they could be a tough out.

I think if you were a kid or young man when the Fab Five and Miami Hurricanes were a thing...that’s kinda the general cut off.

I think if you were a kid or young man when the Fab Five and Miami Hurricanes were a thing...that’s kinda the general cut off.
I'll never forget watching the U play in the Cotton Bowl in the early 90s. I think they had over 200 yards in penalties, many of them personal fouls. Thanks to that performance the NCAA created a PF for excessive celebration the following year. I thoroughly enjoy watching that program struggle now. Their players are happy though as long as they get to wear the turnover chain. lol

I'll never forget watching the U play in the Cotton Bowl in the early 90s. I think they had over 200 yards in penalties, many of them personal fouls. Thanks to that performance the NCAA created a PF for excessive celebration the following year. I thoroughly enjoy watching that program struggle now. Their players are happy though as long as they get to wear the turnover chain. lol

I hated them because they were so arrogant...and they always beat us. Man, I thought we had them in 92. That game was like the Super Bowl to me as a young kid.

If they were in the SEC or something and we never played and lost to them, I probably would’ve loved them for the entertainment value.

I remember the adults being outraged by them and the Fab Five. Meanwhile I was dunking and pulling myself up on our lowered driveway hoop pretending to be Webber.

I hated them because they were so arrogant...and they always beat us. Man, I thought we had them in 92. That game was like the Super Bowl to me as a young kid.

If they were in the SEC or something and we never played and lost to them, I probably would’ve loved them for the entertainment value.

I remember the adults being outraged by them and the Fab Five. Meanwhile I was dunking and pulling myself up on our lowered driveway hoop pretending to be Webber.
I have a fairly close business contact that was one of the first guys off the bench for Michigan when the Fab Five were juniors and seniors. He's told me some interesting stories about playing there, the recruiting process, going against other big time recruits at camps etc. He was a Parade All America coming out of HS. Not sure that's a thing anymore.

I have a fairly close business contact that was one of the first guys off the bench for Michigan when the Fab Five were juniors and seniors. He's told me some interesting stories about playing there, the recruiting process, going against other big time recruits at camps etc. He was a Parade All America coming out of HS. Not sure that's a thing anymore.
Dugan Fife??!!

*you don’t have to tell me

If today’s Pats vs Saints game was also a drinking game, and you had to drink every time anybody mentioned either Tom Brady or the week 4 game. How drunk will you be by the end of the first quarter?

Pre Big east I loved the U

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom