2021 PGA Tour | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2021 PGA Tour

I don’t blame him for being mad. That was handled really badly.

Hope Brooks is okay. He can be hard to like but when he is healthy, he is a hell of a golfer.

I like Brooks. He's a no nonsense, calls it like he sees it type of guy.

Last edited:
Let it go, Brooks. It was Phil's day. You'll have another.
He wasn’t wrong on that one.
Phil was 99.9% going to win but security completely lost control of the crowd and it took Brooks a ton of time to get on the green.

Brooks is a meathead but his point is pretty legit here.

Brooks is a meathead.

I don't know where you get this from. I've watched him play a lot of times, seen post-match interviews, and the Feherty interview. And I've not seen anything like what you're saying. He's honest and straightforward, and I find that refreshing. But that's just me. :)

I don't know where you get this from. I've watched him play a lot of times, seen post-match interviews, and the Feherty interview. And I've not seen anything like what you're saying. He's honest and straightforward, and I find that refreshing. But that's just me. :)
You haven’t listened to him on Pardon My Take I guess.

Listen to him with PFT Commenter and Big Cat.

Great for Phil but not sure it impresses the casual fan to see a 50 year old beat 30 year old's in their prime. There is not other sport I can think of where this would be even possible (and the clubs and ball help level the playing field for sure). Patrick Ewing was not walking in to save my Knicks last night at 55.

I wonder too if Phil is on some sort of medication - I know his zen stuff, and focus drills, but his whole demeanor seemed unPhil like. I think being less emotional helped him immensely and I don't buy that it is all hard work. Getting fit helped, etc, but his whole vibe seemed different.

Great for Phil but not sure it impresses the casual fan to see a 50 year old beat 30 year old's in their prime. There is not other sport I can think of where this would be even possible (and the clubs and ball help level the playing field for sure). Patrick Ewing was not walking in to save my Knicks last night at 55.
They aren’t 50, but Tom Brady (43) just won the Super Bowl. Rich Hill (41) and Nelson Cruz (40) are still good MLB players.

Mickelson winning is impressive because it’s unprecedented.

They aren’t 50, but Tom Brady (43) just won the Super Bowl. Rich Hill (41) and Nelson Cruz (40) are still good MLB players.

Mickelson winning is impressive because it’s unprecedented.
As much as impressed at what Phil did, I think Brady at his age going to a new team is more impressive. Golf vs Football. Neither is easy physically or mentally but Brady getting chased and knocked down by guys half his age is pretty impressive. I put baseball further down although there are some exceptions out there. Nolan Ryan for one.

As much as impressed at what Phil did, I think Brady at his age going to a new team is more impressive. Golf vs Football. Neither is easy physically or mentally but Brady getting chased and knocked down by guys half his age is pretty impressive. I put baseball further down although there are some exceptions out there. Nolan Ryan for one.

I don't disagree. But I think an important aspect of Phil's win is that there's no one playing defense in golf. It's just you and the course, and anyone can get hot - or at least hotter than the others. The course doesn't adjust to what you're doing, but a defensive coordinator or a pitcher sure will. Also consider players don't carry their own bag. Sure, younger players have caddies too, but it would be a greater burden on a 50 year old. So the fact no one carries helps a 50 year old more than a 25.

I don’t blame him for being mad. That was handled really badly.

Hope Brooks is okay. He can be hard to like but when he is healthy, he is a hell of a golfer.
I also hear he is a dbag too

Phil is going to make this interesting.
Louie is one birdie at 15 from this really close.

Louis just missed an eagle putt at 16 that would've made Phil's last 3 holes much more stressful.

Whoever is in charge of security needs to get their ass chewed out. That scene on 18 was outrageous. Phil looked like he had people climbing on him.

1621878112588.png

yup night and day how much better in shape guys now are than what a 50 yr old 35 yrs ago was.. the whole concept of getting and staying in shape and eating and working out barely existed especially for golfers back then.

Those pictures of Old Tom Morris (a hard lived 46) and Jack's gut from 1986 compared to 2021 Phil are all you need to see.

I wonder too if Phil is on some sort of medication - I know his zen stuff, and focus drills, but his whole demeanor seemed unPhil like. I think being less emotional helped him immensely and I don't buy that it is all hard work. Getting fit helped, etc, but his whole vibe seemed different.
A lot of casual fans are 50 years old so they appreciate what he has done. Here is an article breaking down Phil's new diet. Plus I'm sure having his brother on the bag helps him. Phil Mickelson explains how his age-defying fasting diet 'resets' his body

Phil's 6 day special coffee and water fast. What it's like completing Phil Mickelson's 6-day fast of coffee and water

Phil probably should have been paying better attention to the mental side of his game long ago., Probably cost him 2-3 more majors.

Phil probably should have been paying better attention to the mental side of his game long ago., Probably cost him 2-3 more majors.

He reminds me of Andre Agassi. Guys with all the talent in the world that did not figure out the mental aspect of until they got older.

He reminds me of Andre Agassi. Guys with all the talent in the world that did not figure out the mental aspect of until they got older.

Also think through his social media and responding and joking with the general public he has also created a ton of good will. His hitting bombs and calves by Adonis schtick have been pretty well received and actually pretty funny. Also if you watch some of the stuff he has done you can tell Phil is really a pretty good athlete. In addition, by getting himself in better shape the last few years he has been able to put together some good runs. Athletes who get on in years can still be great on occasion like we saw with Phil this week. he mad not be as consistently good to the dismay of Mr Babers