2021 PGA Tour | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2021 PGA Tour

I think the players had a hand in setting the rules up for this stuff.

One of the complicating factors with having him play alone is the presence of fans that will be near him on occasions throughout the day. Especially walking between holes.

If you have gone to a PGA tour event, you know the distance between the ropes when they walk between holes is typically not very wide. Is security going to be running around all day fighting the fans who went to get a good look at the leader?

Jon Rahm, who finished his round today leading the Memorial by 6 strokes going into the final day, just tested positive for COVID and can't finish the tournament.

My question is, why can't he play tomorrow by himself? No caddie, no partner, no nothing. View attachment 201883

There's some testing requirement in place mandating two more tests 24 hours apart before he can be "reinstated." So, there's not enough time. That was the explanation I got from some talking heads sports show.

edit: here it is from The Guardian: "[Rahm is] required to go into self-isolation for 10 days. ... Not even the chance of a false positive test could spare Rahm. Under the Tour’s CDC-guided protocols, players would have to return two negative tests 24 hours apart to end the 10-day isolation. That rules out Rahm playing Sunday."

Last edited:
I was just posting this. Good question.

What about his playing partners?
Feel bad for the playing partners if they have to forfeit due to the actions/inaction of someone in their grouping

Feel bad for the playing partners if they have to forfeit due to the actions/inaction of someone in their grouping
I expected a lot more of this over the past year. Many of the sports leagues did a great job to minimize interruption in play. This sucks for Rahm. Was he vaccinated? That would be curious to know. And yes it would also suck for anyone else who loses their ability to earn a paycheck.

I expected a lot more of this over the past year. Many of the sports leagues did a great job to minimize interruption in play. This sucks for Rahm. Was he vaccinated? That would be curious to know. And yes it would also suck for anyone else who loses their ability to earn a paycheck.
Rahm was not vaccinated. So his decision to not get vaccinated could cost his playing partners prize money.

these guys are playing for millions. if he was vaccinated i wonder if the rules are different.. and didnt he just have a baby weeks ago? all the more reason to get the shot.

Rahm was not vaccinated. So his decision to not get vaccinated could cost his playing partners prize money.
Interesting. If true, he's a . A shot in the arm vs. millions of $$$.
these guys are playing for millions. if he was vaccinated i wonder if the rules are different.. and didnt he just have a baby weeks ago? all the more reason to get the shot.
I believe they are. The PGA has non-vaccinated players tested every day; vaccinated players not as often, if I am reading this article correctly.

Now it's been reported he has had one shot. So does he get blamed or does the person he caught covid from get blamed.

Now it's been reported he has had one shot. So does he get blamed or does the person he caught covid from get blamed.
Depends. Did he know the person tested positive? If so, he deserves it.

But frankly, even if you don't care about your (and others') health, you have millions of dollars on the line. Get the freaking shot. And (if true), do it weeks/months ago. It's not as if the PGA implemented these rules yesterday. Sheesh.

Depends. Did he know the person tested positive? If so, he deserves it.

But frankly, even if you don't care about your (and others') health, you have millions of dollars on the line. Get the freaking shot. And (if true), do it weeks/months ago. It's not as if the PGA implemented these rules yesterday. Sheesh.
I agree. I got my shots in April. No reason he didn't as well.

A WD before the tournament starts is a refund.

A WD after he tees off is usually a loss.

Seems fair. Just out of curiosity, how much do these players put up to enter a tournament at the pro level? Also the Korn Ferry?

This morning on the Golf Channel pre-game talk it was reported Rahm was in the PGA's contact-tracing protocol all through the week, testing negative every day. He also advised all his playing partners of this so they and their caddies could keep an appropriate distance through their rounds. None of his playing partners from the week, all of whom were interviewed & questioned by PGA officials, has been entered into the protocol subsequent to Rahm's positive test. Further, FWIW, both Cantlay and Sheffler had contracted covid-19 earlier in the year.

Seems fair. Just out of curiosity, how much do these players put up to enter a tournament at the pro level? Also the Korn Ferry?

Nothing on the PGA tour.
Not sure about the Korn Ferry Tour.

On the Mckenzie Tour (PGA Canada Tour), which is one step down from the KFT, there was an event near to where I lived in 2013.
Each player in the 156 man field had to put in $400 to play (perhaps it was $450).

So they fronted about $62,000 of the total prize pool which was only $150,000 (winner would get 18% of that so $27,000). Guys making the cut, put finishing around 60th, would barely get their initial investment back. Its a tough way to make a living on those tours and some of those players are pretty good, so they feel compelled to keep pushing.

Almost all players did not have their own regular caddie.
Most used volunteer caddies for the week.
Some guys carried their bag.
Some people stay at local hotels. Some players were put up at people's houses for the week.

Just a different world.

A number of players that played that week have moved on to the PGA tour for at least one year (I estimate around 20). But I remember tracking the movement of some, and many players even if they did fairly well on that tour tended to be out of competitive golf within 2 years.

Some of the players that played that week that have had PGA tour success (and reached top 100 in the world at some point)
Tony Finau
Joel Dahmen
Mackenzie Hughes
Nick Taylor

(and those that reached between 100 and 200 in the world)
Taylor Pendrith (currently top 150 in the world, and will be on the PGA tour for first next year as he grauates from KFT)
JJ Spaun
Brandon Harkins
Mark Hubbard

Once you have cracked the world top 200 you have made good coin (for a year anyway) from playing golf. If you can sustain it, you do quite well for yourself.

The winner that week, Hugo Leon, is still toiling between the European Tour and their version of the KFT.

this is why so many try to get a sponsored.. and some of that if they get good goes back to the sponser for awhile

pga guys have to pay $100 a yr and then $50 an event for the locker

they are both already immune.

exactly what is Rahm guilty of?

why are they immune? having covid doesnt make you immune

if already having the virus doesn’t give you anti bodies and natural immunity then what is the point of vaccines, which is trying to trigger the bodies immune system as if it actually had the virus?

The US Women's Open looks headed for a playoff on NBC. Lexi faltered a bit today, but it's the US Open. It's not supposed to be easy. Hopefully she can still take it.