2021 USMNT Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

They will be clinical in front of goal if the chances are there.

Yes they will. They likely would have buried at least one if they had the same chances Jamaica had. They aren't however as physical which should mean we need to finish because chances are going to be there.

I felt Moore was up and down as well. A lot of miscommunication on that right side at times . Hoppe's first touch let him down a lot that second half but kid brings a ton of quality and has great instincts in front of goal.

Robinson, Busio and Acosta definitely looked good. Acosta was the one guy who came in and matched the physicality and asserted himself in the midfield in the second half and once that happened a goal was imminent.

I really hope Dike has a rebound game vs Qatar. He has been Jozy like these past two games in not using his strength and being sloppy and passive.

Qatar is dangerous. They are not very impressive defensively but they have some speed and good finishers.

I thought Moore was the best US player in the first 30 minutes or so, but then tailed off.

I agree that Acosta did a fine job off the bench. Excellent energy, stuck his nose in there, making things happen.

I thought Moore was the best US player in the first 30 minutes or so, but then tailed off.

I agree that Acosta did a fine job off the bench. Excellent energy, stuck his nose in there, making things happen.

Acosta played the full 90 I thought. Either way he did a real nice job and gave Busio a great midfield partner.

Qatar creates chances for sure.. then they try to hold on every game.. if the D doesnt throw the ball away early and dig a hole the US should win..

Acosta played the full 90 I thought. Either way he did a real nice job and gave Busio a great midfield partner.

Sorry, you're right. I meant Roldan came off the bench. Acosta was very solid as the holding midfielder. (Damn Hispanic surnames! Not that Acosta presents as Hispanic ...)

Last edited:
Sorry, you're right. I meant Roldan came off the bench. Acosta was very solid as the holding midfielder. (Damn Hispanic surnames!)

Haha all good and agreed on Roldan. Might have been one of the best stretches of play for the USMNT I have seen.

Dare I dream of this Midfield/Forward attack: Adams, McKennie, Reyna, Pulisic, Konrad, any forward from Sargent/Dike/Hoppe/Pefok

Ten or twenty years ago, the US Men's team would be lucky to have 2 or 3 guys this good. Now we have quite a few really top shelf guys in the attack, and all are very young and have boatloads of promise.

P.S. - Dare I say that Pulisic won't necessarily be the best among them in 2026?

Last edited:

WCQ spots
Columbus gets Costa Rica match
Cincinnati gets Mexico match
Austin gets Jamaica match

WCQ spots

Really hope for once we come bursting out of the gate and put any worries to rest early.

WCQ spots

Rewarding the new MLS franchises. Not shading though...they have built phenomenal venues.

Qatar misses the PK and just like that we get an opportunity… should have done better.

Game has been chippy.

Qatar is playing better than we are.
Yeah I’ve missed a chunk, wife and I had to give our son a bath and read to him before bed. But based on what I’ve been able to watch, I agree.

That goal was justice served. Looked like a clear push not called just a minute before.
Yeah it wasn’t a play on the ball (Zardes in the box), obstruction… but it never gets called in that spot.

Then Williamson got clipped and it looked like a PK.

It wasn’t sexy but I’ll take a result every time out. No matter what happens in the final, this squad has gotten valuable experience.

Qatar is playing better than we are.

Qatar is grown-ass men playing against what looks like a college team. They must have a 3 inch height advantage and about 20 pounds per man on our guys. Avg. age 27 vs. 23, average international caps 70 to 13.

So, all things considered, I'm impressed that they gutted out another win. When the guys competing for the end of the roster spots are winning games against pretty good competition, that speaks well of our upcoming qualifying campaign. Lots of depth on our roster. Legitimately two deep.

Sad to see El Tri get the win after another pathetic display by the Mexico fans. DQ them from next year's WC and you might actually get them to clean up their act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom