2021 USMNT Thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

America is starting to get real recognition as a breeding ground for a certain type of player that is a bit unique. And our young players' technical chops seem to be improving, probably thanks to these academies, and some (but not enough ...) changes in access to play high caliber organized soccer. This is a great time to be a soccer fan in the US! We might really make some noise in 2026. We are building something exciting!

America is starting to get real recognition as a breeding ground for a certain type of player that is a bit unique. And our young players' technical chops seem to be improving, probably thanks to these academies, and some (but not enough ...) changes in access to play high caliber organized soccer. This is a great time to be a soccer fan in the US! We might really make some noise in 2026. We are building something exciting!

For once I really am looking forward to watching the qualifiers vs hoping we just gut it out. There is just a whole different vibe/aura around the USMNT right now and for good reason.

He might have been better off not playing… Spurs went all Spursey and lost the first leg.

Grumpy Pundits slaughtered them this morning and it was glorious.
It was inevitable after beating City. Hopefully they field a strong side in the home leg and cruise but that’s not the Spurs way.

well with the injuries they need a few for this qualifier starting game set and he is in form.

Pepi has officially chosen us over Mexico. Pretty strong attacking side. And somehow Tim Ream is STILL there.

Sands, Ream, Bello and Roldan all making it is interesting. It's a good run of games to get Pepi capped and some run to make sure he wants to stay. I'm guessing with Roldan it's somewhat like having Graham Zusi. Bummed not to see Hoppe on here given his performance in the GC. I would figure he factors in though still yet.

I can't wait to see how Brooks and Robinson look together. Best CB pairing in years and will make it really tough for those stupid giveaway goals to pop up in Qualifying play.

Very exciting team. Pepi has such a high ceiling. Great movement and natural goalscorer. He's off to Europe soon. Probably in January.

Sands, Ream, Bello and Roldan all making it is interesting. It's a good run of games to get Pepi capped and some run to make sure he wants to stay. I'm guessing with Roldan it's somewhat like having Graham Zusi. Bummed not to see Hoppe on here given his performance in the GC. I would figure he factors in though still yet.

I can't wait to see how Brooks and Robinson look together. Best CB pairing in years and will make it really tough for those stupid giveaway goals to pop up in Qualifying play.
Hoppe hasn’t played a match since the GC final. I’d like to see him get some run with the A squad as well but he needs to figure out how club situation out first.

Hoppe hasn’t played a match since the GC final. I’d like to see him get some run with the A squad as well but he needs to figure out how club situation out first.

Yeah he does and hopefully soon. I don't see the harm in including him if he is still untethered but yeah. He will still factor in soon enough I'm sure

I'm looking at a lot of the Gold Cup squad members are just starting to get minutes back at their clubs. I think it was pretty brutal on these guys' bodies.

I think Hoppe may be in the midst of a club transfer. So since his club situation is unsettled he's not in. Same goes for a guy like Reggie Cannon and Chris Richards.

I think Hoppe may be in the midst of a club transfer. So since his club situation is unsettled he's not in. Same goes for a guy like Reggie Cannon and Chris Richards.
Bayern like Richards but it’s a confusing situation. Latest report I saw had him signing long term with them and going back on loan to Hoffenheim which sounds perfect to me.

Bayern like Richards but it’s a confusing situation. Latest report I saw had him signing long term with them and going back on loan to Hoffenheim which sounds perfect to me.
This the caution flag with these young kids signing for the football giants... they need to have a plan that allows them to get some first team run against good competition. I'd much prefer a kid sign with Dortmund, a club with a track record of developing young talent, over Bayern where there is at least two world class players at every position with a third one being recruited every transfer window.

BTW Busio started his first match for Venezia today in Serie A today and while I'm not watching, he's apparently fitting in. For those not in the know, Venezia is owned by an American who believes US players are undervalued and is willing to build a team with a few of them to prove his point.

Also in Serie A news... Allegri wants McKennie to stay at Juventus vs going to Tottenham. Man it's insane how the profile of US soccer players have exploded since the TnT debacle that we shall never speak of. We have kids who are really important players in some of the best clubs in Germany, Italy, UK, France and a ton more in the next tier as well.

Discovering this thread on this board is *perfect*... My two boys are both playing travel level soccer (U10 and U12) and we've taken up interest in EPL, USMNT, etc. It's started to bump other sports out of the way on the weekends. Good stuff.

Amped for the games next week.

Discovering this thread on this board is *perfect*... My two boys are both playing travel level soccer (U10 and U12) and we've taken up interest in EPL, USMNT, etc. It's started to bump other sports out of the way on the weekends. Good stuff.

Amped for the games next week.

If your kids want to improve, make sure they are having fun and learning ball skills. Ball and a wall. A lot of travel teams are only focused on winning and kick the ball up field to the biggest most mature kid and let them beast smaller kids. You win but kids don't develop. Have fun and enjoy being on the ball and improving your touch.

If your kids want to improve, make sure they are having fun and learning ball skills. Ball and a wall. A lot of travel teams are only focused on winning and kick the ball up field to the biggest most mature kid and let them beast smaller kids. You win but kids don't develop. Have fun and enjoy being on the ball and improving your touch.

This x 1000

My 8 yr old decided to dedicate himself as a LB / LWB

He enjoys playing defense and pushing the ball upfield

Im glad he's dedicated to a position that let's face it, most kids don't want. Which will give him a leg up on consistent playing time in the coming years.

At the same time I'm sad because when he played on the wings or as a striker / forward he put the ball in the back of the net consistently. I envisioned the next Pulisic lol.

Folarin Balogun​

Who does he end up playing for?

US, England, or Nigeria?

My 8 yr old decided to dedicate himself as a LB / LWB

He enjoys playing defense and pushing the ball upfield

Im glad he's dedicated to a position that let's face it, most kids don't want. Which will give him a leg up on consistent playing time in the coming years.

At the same time I'm sad because when he played on the wings or as a striker / forward he put the ball in the back of the net consistently. I envisioned the next Pulisic lol.
Nobody has any idea what position an eight-year old is most suited for. If your son is being pigeon-holed/being allowed to pigeon-hole himself to a single position at age eight, it is time to find a new team.

Kids should be exposed to, and should play, all positions through at least U11 or U12.

My one piece of advice, in terms of what to work on (and, to be clear 8 is probably too young to start doing this) is developing the weaker foot ( much like developing the off-hand in hoops).

That is the one area I really focused on with my son.

His left is now probably 95% of his right and, as a result, he is really hard to deal with as, if a defender shades him one way, he simply goes the other.

Excellent advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom