2021 USMNT Thread | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

Great way to finish. I believe they will sit second now behind El Tri.

Tyler Adams with a master class in the second half as well. Shocker what happens when you don’t force him to play RWB.

Yep. Berhalter finally made the right adjustments and lit a fire under this group to get a good result. To me it's pretty clear Pepi and Aaronson should be a the top of the order. Pepi took a huge step forward in the competition for the 9 spot. Sargeant to me again was really dissapointing. Hoping Pefok comes around and maybe Dike can keep working and gets another shot.

Can’t watch it just seeing scores, what was run of play like.
US dominated play after tying the goal. Adams went into midfield and started controlling the game and it was full on attack. Helped that Honduras got tired... but a well deserved win.

Not sure what the strategic shift was in half 2 but there was actual width which opened up the middle of the field for runners to get some room. Also very little backwards passing, it was all forward, go at speed.

to steal from SWC... the downside: Greggers is gonna be the HC in spite of his moronic decisions

Yep. We can't keep coming out looking like a dead fish every game. It's a consistent problem. It was looking like 1 goal Greg was going to strike again as well...

US dominated play after tying the goal. Adams went into midfield and started controlling the game and it was full on attack. Helped that Honduras got tired... but a well deserved win.

Not sure what the strategic shift was in half 2 but there was actual width which opened up the middle of the field for runners to get some room. Also very little backwards passing, it was all forward, go at speed.

To me Robinson was the key sub. Once he came on we had width and were a threat going forward. Adams and Acosta both played up higher but worked well together. Plus Aaronson's runs and just being aggressive made a huge difference. We were way to passive in the first half and played too slow.

I didn't pick up any formation shift watching it on my phone but those guys definitely stood out. Plus Pepi being able to hold up and distribute was huge.

Props to Pulisic for open the door with getting things going on the first goal as well.

Also Sargent had no business playing on the RW. Konrad is the better play there and then he could have taken Pulisics role when he got injured.

To me Robinson was the key sub. Once he came on we had width and were a threat going forward. Adams and Acosta both played up higher but worked well together. Plus Aaronson's runs and just being aggressive made a huge difference. We were way to passive in the first half and played too slow.

I didn't pick up any formation shift watching it on my phone but those guys definitely stood out. Plus Pepi being able to hold up and distribute was huge.

Props to Pulisic for open the door with getting things going on the first goal as well.

Also Sargent had no business playing on the RW. Konrad is the better play there and then he could have taken Pulisics role when he got injured.
Plus 1 to all of this.

I haven’t seen Pepi play much. Impressive debut. Much needed win. At half I was about to lose my mind. We looked like ass. Couldn’t put anything together really. Glad they gutted it out.
i wouldn’t mind this line up
Pepi
Pulisic
aaronson. Reyna
Mckennie. Adams
a Robinson Brooks. ??? Dest

would love to see hoppe more as well. I really think we have some pieces. Just need get some experience together

Watching Robinson, Adams, Pepi and Acosta work together reminded me of what has made Germany so effective over the years. Good wing play, attack minded middies who can get good service into the box and a big target striker who has a good touch and is composed and accurate. Obviously I'm not even hinting we are all the sudden Germany but that run of play after the first goal was the first time was fun to watch. It's why we were all excited about qualifiers before 225 minutes of dissappointment in the qualifiers to date.

Wondering if our best squad to clear CONCACAF is different than our best squad to bring to a World Cup. We need junkyard dogs who can take nicks, kick ass. Not sure if our most talented players are suited to that type of play.

I haven’t seen Pepi play much. Impressive debut. Much needed win. At half I was about to lose my mind. We looked like ass. Couldn’t put anything together really. Glad they gutted it out.
i wouldn’t mind this line up
Pepi
Pulisic
aaronson. Reyna
Mckennie. Adams
a Robinson Brooks. ??? Dest

would love to see hoppe more as well. I really think we have some pieces. Just need get some experience together

I'm not sold yet that Reyna and Pulisic work well together. Both are too talented to not start and yet we haven't been all that impressive when they have played together. That said I do like that lineup and would love to see how it works.

I really hope Hoppe gets to work and has success early so we can get him back in. He was impressive in the Gold Cup.

Also, Gregg needs to play people in their strongest positions. We have no reason with our depth to put players out of position. And to correct those mistakes at halftime with subs is an admission of error and frankly, reeked of desperation and contrition.

Wondering if our best squad to clear CONCACAF is different than our best squad to bring to a World Cup. We need junkyard dogs who can take nicks, kick ass. Not sure if our most talented players are suited to that type of play.

Acosta makes a difference because he is one of those. Also given the foul happy approach we will continue to face, hold up play is really important with someone like Pepi or Pefok.

Acosta makes a difference because he is one of those. Also given the foul happy approach we will continue to face, hold up play is really important with someone like Pepi or Pefok.
Hate to say it but I think the MLS guys deal better with the play within this region. Our top guys just aren't equipped to deal with this play.

Encouraged by Pepi. We need a striker and we really dont have any talented 9's in the pool. IMO Gregg does not set us up with enough attacking, creative players in his formations. We have those players available but tend to lean into 6-7 conservative players on the field at a time. Puts way too much pressure on the attacking players.

I am glad we won.
Credit to the entire operation.

Gregg though isn’t the answer.

We cleared the acceptable O/U though.

Standings
1. Mexico 7 pts.
2t. USA 5 pts 5-2 GD
2t. Canada 5pts 5-2 GD
4. Panama 5pts 4-1 GD
5. Costa Rica 2 pts 1-2 GD
6. Honduras 2 pts 2-5 GD
7. El Salvador 2 pts 0-3 GD
8. Jamaica 1 pt 2-6 GD

Looked like we went 4-3-3 in the 2nd half with 3 subs as well. Pepi was Man of the Match imo.

This just in...
USSF extended HC Gregg for another 10 years. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. Glad the boys put together the 2nd half they did. Crucial 3 points with some needed goals as well.

We
Looked like we went 4-3-3 in the 2nd half with 3 subs as well. Pepi was Man of the Match imo.
We started in a 4-3-3 the second half we went to a 4-4-2 and put an extra body in the midfield.
Miles Robinson and Jedi did an outstanding job in the midfield.
Pepi was a great box 9.

Next 3 matches Jamaica in Austin.
@ Panama
Costa Rica in Columbus.

Bare minimum is 6 points.
We have to win the home matches.
A draw in Panama City would be gigantic.

Honestly, I'd bench Brooks. Not sure what's going on with him. Also Sargent and Sands. They're just not good enough to be starters. Keep Pefok, Pepi, and bring in Hoppe.

Next 3 matches Jamaica in Austin.
@ Panama
Costa Rica in Columbus.

Bare minimum is 6 points.
We have to win the home matches.
A draw in Panama City would be gigantic.
I’ll always want the full haul, but if 7 points were offered right now I’d take it.

Honestly, I'd bench Brooks. Not sure what's going on with him. Also Sargent and Sands. They're just not good enough to be starters. Keep Pefok, Pepi, and bring in Hoppe.
Agree re: Brooks. Hasn’t looked the same this past week, although I couldn’t watch the second half last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom