2021 USMNT Thread | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

Pulisic gets managed by Thomas Tuchel and then has to come to the national team and be coached by a guy who got fired from a second division team and won less than 40% of his games as Columbus coach.

USMNT needs a real manager.
So, your "proof" that Pulisic openly mocks Berhalter is the fact that his club coach is Tuchel; he got fired from a second division club and that he only won 40% if his games as the Columbus Crew Coach (which is actually not a true statement. He had a winning record with Columbus)?

No references to articles, quotes from articles, interviews or quotes from interviews and no analysis of the meaning of same?

Still waiting for some evidence demonstrating that he has lost the locker room.

And still waiting for some clarification on what exactly the point of the last part of your post about McKennie being useful in the World Cup is.

So, your "proof" that Pulisic openly mocks Berhalter is the fact that his club coach is Tuchel; he got fired from a second division club and that he only won 40% if his games as the Columbus Crew Coach (which is actually not a true statement. He had a winning record with Columbus)?

No references to articles, quotes from articles, interviews or quotes from interviews and no analysis of the meaning of same?

Still waiting for some evidence demonstrating that he has lost the locker room.

And still waiting for some clarification on what exactly the point of the last part of your post about McKennie being useful in the World Cup is.
Winning record includes a lot of draws.
He “won” less than 40% of his games at Columbus.
74 W
70 L
49 D

Equals a 38.3% of the time he won.
That is under 40%.
Great hire USMNT.

Winning record includes a lot of draws.
He “won” less than 40% of his games at Columbus.
74 W
70 L
49 D

Equals a 38.3% of the time he won.
That is under 40%.
Great hire USMNT.
Fine. He's under 40%. Given the prevalence of draws in soccer, I don't know anyone who looks at it that way but, mathematically, you are correct. Congratulations.

Now, are you actually going to provide any backup whatsoever for your contention that Pulisic is openly mocking Berhalter and that Berhalter has lost the locker room?

And, are you going to provide any color on what, exactly, your point about McKennie being useful in a World Cup is?

I think that this is one of the most overlooked aspects of having a successful national team - having a group of guys who are truly united. National teams, by definition, are not cohesive units the way club teams are/are not because they spend so little time together. Add to that the fact that players come from different systems, can come from clubs that are bitter rivals, can have a group of players from a single, or a couple of clubs club (more prevalent historically than nowadays but see Spain with Barca and Real Madrid as a modern-day example) and fostering unity is no small feat.

In Italy, for example, the harmony of the group is so important that there is not a second thought given to excluding players that are remarkably talented if it is thought they will disrupt the group as a whole. Balotelli, Antonio Cassano and even current Italian skipper Roberto Mancini are examples of this.

If McKennie were Italian, he would likely be excluded for at least as long as Mancini were in charge and possibly longer. What McKennie did would be considered a virtually unforgiveable act.

And, I think it works, Italy has had a tremendous amount of success while, IMHO, never having the most talented team. In '82, they beat a Brazil team that many consider to be the most talented team never to win a World Cup. In 2006, I think France was clearly the more talented side, And, in 2020, one could argue that Belgium, France and Spain all had more individual talent.

And when you do hear about very talented side crashing out of a major competition early, there are frequent reference to lack of locker room cohesion, or outright dissent, being a primary cause.

This seems to be a strength of Berhalter's, at least based upon the play of the team during the summer. Let's hope this incident doesn't cause that locker room unity to start to fray at the edges.
France 2010 is a spectacular example of dysfunctional locker room leading to on field embarrassment.

Although I think it was more the players loathing their coach rather than internal beefs among teammates.

France 2010 is a spectacular example of dysfunctional locker room leading to on field embarrassment.

Although I think it was more the players loathing their coach rather than internal beefs among teammates.
Was that Benzema and Giroud?
Or Henry Era.

Was that Benzema and Giroud?
Or Henry Era.
Anelka, Henry, and not sure if it was Deschamps last as a player.

If Giroud and Benzema were on that squad they would’ve been youngsters.

Edit - Deschamps didn’t play that year, didn’t realize he’s much older. Benzema was one of the controversial cuts that cycle

Last edited:
Fine. He's under 40%. Given the prevalence of draws in soccer, I don't know anyone who looks at it that way but, mathematically, you are correct. Congratulations.

Now, are you actually going to provide any backup whatsoever for your contention that Pulisic is openly mocking Berhalter and that Berhalter has lost the locker room?

And, are you going to provide any color on what, exactly, your point about McKennie being useful in a World Cup is?
Two situations with Pulisic and triple-g come to mind… both against Canada:
- in nations league at Canada… Gregg subbed out Pulisic early when the team was down. Pulisic showed up Gregg after getting pulled
- after the most recent draw against Canada, Pulisic made comments about needing new ideas and that was widely perceived as a dig against the coach.
- Dest is useless for the USMNT and plays pretty half-butted when he comes. I don’t think he gives max effort and I think that’s a reflection of his respect for the manager

I don’t think the euro-players have much respect for triple-g and his ways.

Edit - Deschamps didn’t play that year, didn’t realize he’s much older. Benzema was one of the controversial cuts that cycle
Was benzema controversial or was that the year he set upa fellow player with a prostitute, got it taped and then tried to blackmail said player with the tape? I can’t believe Benzema was allowed back on the team for the most recent euros

Was benzema controversial or was that the year he set upa fellow player with a prostitute, got it taped and then tried to blackmail said player with the tape? I can’t believe Benzema was allowed back on the team for the most recent euros
Before all that.

Which is why it was viewed as controversial.

That tape scandal was 2015ish I believe.

Yup. In fact, France is one of the teams I had in mind.

Two situations with Pulisic and triple-g come to mind… both against Canada:
- in nations league at Canada… Gregg subbed out Pulisic early when the team was down. Pulisic showed up Gregg after getting pulled
I would hope that any player worth his salt would not be happy getting subbed off.
- after the most recent draw against Canada, Pulisic made comments about needing new ideas and that was widely perceived as a dig against the coach.
I watched that interview. His words could have been interpreted to be directed at the coach but they could just as easily be interpreted to have been directed at his teammates.

To be clear, there are a number of things that Berhalter screwed up with the first trio of qualifiers and some hard questions need to be asked. I have been meaning to post about the first three qualifiers but have just not had time.
-- Dest is useless for the USMNT and plays pretty half-butted when he comes. I don’t think he gives max effort and I think that’s a reflection of his respect for the manager
I do not agree with this statement. There is a difference between playing poorly and not trying. Part of the former is also determined by how the player is used and by how the game is played.

Dest will be most effective when he has the freedom to go forward, get into the final third and use his considerable 1 v 1 skills to create opportunities - much like Spinazzola rampaging down the left flank for Italy during the Euros.

He will NOT be effective and will be exposed if he is asked to defend too much or if he is asked to be constantly tracking back because we are turning the ball over in really bad areas and not winning it back (probably, collectively, our biggest weakness as a team right now).

Before criticizing a player you need to ask yourself whether the player is suited to the role he is being asked to play and if the game is unfolding in such a way that he can be effective in the role he is being asked to play.
I don’t think the euro-players have much respect for triple-g and his ways.
That is fine but you relying entirely on your interpretation of Pulisic's interview in formulating that opinion. That is an awfully small sample size.

There has been nothing along the lines of what we heard about the players and Klinsmann. There was a lot more smoke there.

Franck Ribery may have been the best player on that team. Gael Clichy and Gallas were in the twilight of their careers.

Franck Ribery may have been the best player on that team. Gael Clichy and Gallas were in the twilight of their careers.
I liked Patrice Evra’s game but Ribery was better.

The only thing that a higher fee than Davies reminds me is that it was a truly ridiculous piece of business by Bayern to get him when they did. Hope Pepi goes somewhere that actually plays their young guys.

Would love to see Pepi go to Porto or Ajax though I bet the fee is bigger than what they might pay. I think Dortmund is an interesting spot because Haaland is gone after this season.

Tuchel says Pulisic is still hurt, not training with the team yet. I think Chelsea keeps him in the UK during the October international break to let him get healthy. They can only get away with that if they don't play him this week.

Tuchel says Pulisic is still hurt, not training with the team yet. I think Chelsea keeps him in the UK during the October international break to let him get healthy. They can only get away with that if they don't play him this week.

Likely no Reyna. I would give strong consideration to bringing Yedlin, Cannon, Scally to play RB and have Dest as a winger.

GGG called in only 26 guys for the last window and it wasn't enough after injuries. So he picked 27 guys this time. Well done.

Didn't call in Scally, who is starting for a Bundisliga team, but did call in Shaq Moore who isn't starting for a Liga 2 Spanish team. Why? Because Scally hasn't been to an American camp yet. It's too stupid to believe! Also a lack of depth at winger but he calls in Arriola but leaves out KDF?!

I'm so excited for the midfield group even with Acosta, Lletget, and Roldan.
I hope we see De La Torre, Busio, and Musah even if it's small cameos. I think they are all improving young players that can provide a different look during a match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom