2021 USMNT Thread | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

Canada takes the lead 1-0 vs Mexico, with a goal right before halftime.

No problem with 4pts this window. Win both games at home next round and US is almost done.

Well with that finish Canada goes to first the US 2nd

And now Pan/Mex tied for 3rd.. all Within 2 pts of each other..

The way this is going it could mean well beyond the 23 pts might be needed that everyone thought was the safe number to qualify.

US has Can/Mex away and Pan at home

Mex has US/Pan at home

Can has US at home/ Pan away

Pan has US/Mex away Can as home

Mex with the easiest schedule left Can the next really

This is far from over. Probably need 10-11 more pts the way this is headed

Canada being decent? Love it. Gotta say, it’s mostly Davies but I am not complaining. Think they go through!

Tying Canada doesn't look so bad now.

January is a big month for the lads. Punish El Salvador and steal 3 from Canada.

Hope Costa Rica holds El Tri to a draw on the road (unlikely) or the Reggae Boyz draw with them at home (also unlikely).

Uncle Sam could end January in the catbird seat.

Canada being decent? Love it. Gotta say, it’s mostly Davies but I am not complaining. Think they go through!

Jonathan David is quite good and is the best striker in CONCACAF. Also my eye has gazed towards their CM Estaquio? Idk how to spell his name but he plays in Portugal and I think he looks great.

Pretty obvious that the top 4 is set really. US wins both at home next round and the tickets can be researched and put into the shopping cart.

play the what if game . I dont think anything is set after the next 3 games

so after the next 3 games
US wins the 2 home games and loses to Canada
Canada pretty good chance of taking 7 pts
Mexico Beats Jamaica? Beats Costa Rica(h), then beats Panama(h) so they get 9
Panama Ties Costa(a) loses to Mex and beats Jamaica(h) 4

Canada 23
Mex 23
US 21
Pan 18

But if Pan beats Mexico

Can 23
US 21
Pan 21
Mex 20

If Pan Ties Mex

Can 23
US21
Mex 21
Pan 19

Final 3

Pan plays US (a) Can at home so they get 4 pts
Mex gets 6
Us gets 4
Can gets 5

Mex 29
Can 28
US 25
Pan 22

Everything comes down to beating Pan
Now if Pan beats Mex next rd

Can 28
Mex 26
US 25
Pan 25

But if Mex ties Pan

Can 28
Mex 27
US 25
Pan 23

if anyone steals a win on the road this really gets tight. US gets a tie vs Can would be huge

Basically we need three vs Canada and have to handle business at home to feel safe

Well with that finish Canada goes to first the US 2nd

And now Pan/Mex tied for 3rd.. all Within 2 pts of each other..

The way this is going it could mean well beyond the 23 pts might be needed that everyone thought was the safe number to qualify.

US has Can/Mex away and Pan at home

Mex has US/Pan at home

Can has US at home/ Pan away

Pan has US/Mex away Can as home

Mex with the easiest schedule left Can the next really

This is far from over. Probably need 10-11 more pts the way this is headed

Good article from Deadspin. Basically, "Yes, everybody criticizes Berhalter, and yes, we are still doing fine."

US has had moments that make you dream, and periods of dreadful lack of intensity. But still its been a mostly solid run with a few gaffs in the back that hurt

Canada has played beyond what anyone expected.

Mexico really has played poorly many of the matches but managed to save themselves and almost did again vs Canada.

Panama beat Jam/Hond on the road and 3 wins 2 ties at home.

US has 1 road win.. Need to find 2nd one at CR and if they steal one from Mex/Can even better.

I honestly think the US should be a counter-attacking team. I don't think there's enough cohesion/interplay yet to be a slick possession side. Every game I watch I see so many errant passes. The team should make their bones beating teams on the break, a little like Weah to Pulisic in the Mexico game.

I honestly think the US should be a counter-attacking team. I don't think there's enough cohesion/interplay yet to be a slick possession side. Every game I watch I see so many errant passes. The team should make their bones beating teams on the break, a little like Weah to Pulisic in the Mexico game.
They do have more than their share of unforced head scratchers.

Interesting to see that the Draw will knock out Italy or Portugal from getting to the WC. Pretty big deal one of the top 10 teams is out before it starts. If Wales doesnt get past scotland thats another top 20 team out.

CONCACAF caught a huge break in the draw Friday.
Whomever finishes 4th will play Oceania aka New Zealand in the playoffs.
They avoided COMEBOL/South America.
They will play Asia.

Whomever finishes 4th from CONCACAF should be favored against New Zealand.
Who is decent but not scary at all.

CONCACAF caught a huge break in the draw Friday.
Whomever finishes 4th will play Oceania aka New Zealand in the playoffs.
They avoided COMEBOL/South America.
They will play Asia.

Whomever finishes 4th from CONCACAF should be favored against New Zealand.
Who is decent but not scary at all.

It's also a one-off match in Qatar this summer where it's going to be very hot. Best to avoid that fate.

Good news for the upcoming December USMNT camp. This is going to be MLS based, since it's not during an official FIFA International window. There will be a friendly against Bosnia, but mostly it's to keep MLS guys fit during their offseason, so they're fit when the next Qualifying Window of the Octagon comes up in January.

Darryl Dike is left out to recover from niggling injuries from his MLS season. But one name that jumped out to me is that Aaron Long is back in camp after a year in recovery from his achilles tear. So, this is big news from my perspective. I thought that Long was on par with Zimmerman (MLS Defender of the Year) or maybe even a bit better, in the past.

A center back group of John Brooks, Walker Zimmerman, Miles Robinson and a healthy Aaron Long is a pretty solid group. I know some folks are pulling for a couple of the young guys playing in Europe to break in, but I'd be happy with these guys.

Tying Canada doesn't look so bad now.

January is a big month for the lads. Punish El Salvador and steal 3 from Canada.

Hope Costa Rica holds El Tri to a draw on the road (unlikely) or the Reggae Boyz draw with them at home (also unlikely).

Uncle Sam could end January in the catbird seat.

Costa Rica seems to have suddenly gotten old, and don't have a new generation to replace the guys on their way out.

I wonder if Pulisic will seek a loan move to Barca?

It would be interesting to hear what Tristan would have to say about that.

Barca have no money. I don't think it means much. To me it's unlikely. Happy to eat crow if I'm wrong. Soccer transfer information is notoriously tricky and full of hot air

That would be a great move for Pulisic… not sure he’s built to withstand the pounding of the epl. It’s like playing Jamaica every game.

At one point it felt like the type of buy-low move that Bayern love (and were rumored to be interested in) but I think they’re in wait and see mode with Coman. If he doesn’t sign a new contract they may need another winger. Not sure Christian would consistently play over Gnabry, Sane, and Musiala though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom