2021 USMNT Thread | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

Forgot the game was on and when I checked ESPN was thrilled to see the score. Sounds like two guys are out for Jamaica though due to yellow card accumulation including Weston.

Forgot the game was on and when I checked ESPN was thrilled to see the score. Sounds like two guys are out for Jamaica though due to yellow card accumulation including Weston.

Miles Robinson of SU was the other.

predicted lineups?

Aaronson - Pepe - Weah

Musah - Adams - McKennie

Robinson - Robinson - Zimmerman? Scally?

Stefen

I could see Chris Richards instead of Zimmerman but I think Zimmerman would be better for set pieces which is where the USA tends to beat El Tri

I can also see Reggie Cannon instead of Scally with GGG reasoning that Mexico is not the game where you get your first senior cap.
Zimmerman was solid vs. Mexico last night.

Overall very pleased with the performance. Lozano, Raul, and Tecatito form a fairly potent attacking trio. Other than a few danger chances in the first-half they were very quiet. Zimmerman and M. Robinson did a good job.

Really the only negative was some miscommunications and errant passes that led to some nervy moments. I do like Antonee Robinson but that was one of his worst games in a US shirt.

Tim Weah is healthy and showed his quality. Quick feet, clean touches, and decisive movement. That is what you need at the highest level.

It will be very interesting to see where Gio Reyna slots in when healthy again. Depth is building and that is a wonderful thing.

Next up is a trip to the office in Jamaica.

it was interesting the US got 2 yellow for complaining on a play the Mex guy should have gotten a red.. Then the Pulisic late tackle play was very dangerous and didnt even earn a yellow, could have broken a leg the way that ended up..

When was the last time the US actually looked faster with the ball against anyone.. Mex looked old in their half all night.. Mex is dangerous going forward on counters but very little else.

The Pan result was probably a bad thing, had they lost it would have created some separation for the top 3 . Now any bad result and one of the top 3 goes to 4th.

Mex-Can play so US cant fall behind both but if Pan wins this week and Can beats Mex and suddenly Mex/US could all be tied for 2-3-4 if the US doesnt get at least a tie.

Overall very pleased with the performance. Lozano, Raul, and Tecatito form a fairly potent attacking trio. Other than a few danger chances in the first-half they were very quiet. Zimmerman and M. Robinson did a good job.

Really the only negative was some miscommunications and errant passes that led to some nervy moments. I do like Antonee Robinson but that was one of his worst games in a US shirt.

Tim Weah is healthy and showed his quality. Quick feet, clean touches, and decisive movement. That is what you need at the highest level.

It will be very interesting to see where Gio Reyna slots in when healthy again. Depth is building and that is a wonderful thing.

If Antonee Robinson could make an accurate pass he wouldn‘t be playing in the Championship. He single handedly cratered our offense on his side of the pitch. Yedlin was more accurate, but still played some hospital balls that put us in danger. Almost all of Mexico‘s dangerous chances came after giveaways.

Having said that, I think last night was the best build up play I’ve seen from the US… ever. Penetrating moves through the middle based on brilliant passes and cohesive movement, overlapping play on the right side of the pitch, switching the field to open up space… it really was impressive. Only weakness is really striker, my guess is our starting fullbacks in Qatar will be Dest and Scally. Yedlin and Robinson will be quality depth. I think Pepe has a ton of potential, but he needs to do more to impact the game.

If Antonee Robinson could make an accurate pass he wouldn‘t be playing in the Championship. He single handedly cratered our offense on his side of the pitch. Yedlin was more accurate, but still played some hospital balls that put us in danger. Almost all of Mexico‘s dangerous chances came after giveaways.

Having said that, I think last night was the best build up play I’ve seen from the US… ever. Penetrating moves through the middle based on brilliant passes and cohesive movement, overlapping play on the right side of the pitch, switching the field to open up space… it really was impressive. Only weakness is really striker, my guess is our starting fullbacks in Qatar will be Dest and Scally. Yedlin and Robinson will be quality depth. I think Pepe has a ton of potential, but he needs to do more to impact the game.
The entire team is a cycle away. Pepe’s fine.

Very promising play. Just wish we saw this level on a more consistent basis when playing the lower level squads

Agree with all of this. Thought Weah was our best player. He was a handful for Mexico and was dangerous every time he touched the ball.

Musah, Zimmerman, and McKennie were also great. We looked like a really good team in the second half. So much speed, talent and skill. Mexico was only able to get decent chances when we turned it over and they went all out in transition.

Mexico has a few dirty players who appeared to focus on trying to hurt USA players. Herrera was one of them. Fat, slow and dirty is no way to go through life Hector.

Gotta get with the times and start using video replay. Players raking other player faces need to get red carded. Thought the ref lost control of the game a bit but to be fair, it is tough to see everything out there by yourself.

Agree with all of this. Thought Weah was our best player. He was a handful for Mexico and was dangerous every time he touched the ball.

Musah, Zimmerman, and McKennie were also great. We looked like a really good team in the second half. So much speed, talent and skill. Mexico was only able to get decent chances when we turned it over and they went all out in transition.

Mexico has a few dirty players who appeared to focus on trying to hurt USA players. Herrera was one of them. Fat, slow and dirty is no way to go through life Hector.

Gotta get with the times and start using video replay. Players raking other player faces need to get red carded. Thought the ref lost control of the game a bit but to be fair, it is tough to see everything out there by yourself.
We have seen this repeat for years . Mexico trying to get in our heads , sometimes violently. Loved Pulisic tee shirt reply to Ochoa.

ESPN (and only ESPN) seemed to talk about how Mexico was the better team in the first half. That the US was lucky not to be down a goal. That's BS. The US dominated in midfield, won most of the duels and had a higher xG. Mexico had <1 xG for the whole game.

Last edited:
elsewhere in CONCACAF
Canada beats Costa Rica.
Panama with a huge comeback at Honduras to win
El Salvador get a last minute goal to draw Jamaica.

I said after the October cycle that the contenders were going to separate from the pack, and that Panama is one of those contenders. Surprised they had such a hard time with Honduras. Their next game is El Salvador, likely another "W".

Meanwhile, Canada has Mexico at home, looking to get back on track after the loss to the US. Key game. If Canada wins over Mexico, Tata Martino could be feeling the heat, as Mexico would drop to 3rd, maybe even 4th on goal difference if Panama puts a few on the board.

Yes, it is crazy to think that we have not started the same back four in any of the six qualifiers thus far. I feel that is a really dangerous game to play.

They've been shuffling the deck with the whole roster ever since 2018. We must have called up at least 50-60 guys in the last 3 years. Eventually, we found a lot of good young players. Now, we have to build some chemistry.

I noticed that Mikhail Antonio scored for them last time out. So they apparently sorted out their ban with the English authorities over COVID. I think Jamaica has recruited a handful of Premier League players. They will have a different roster when we see them.

Zimmerman was solid vs. Mexico last night.

I like him. He will be in the squad when we go to the World Cup. Zimmerman, Brooks and Myles Robinson are 3 solid center backs.

For me, Aaron Long was also a pretty promising talent. He might work his way back into the picture by this spring. Qualifying will be over, but he'll be returning to action in MLS, and the actual World Cup won't begin until 6 months later in Qatar in the winter. Gives him time to attend a few training camps, get his fitness back.

I know there are a couple promising young guys playing in Europe, like Richards. McKenzie is a little too inconsistent, but young guys usually get better over time. I think our defense is taking shape better than I would have expected a year ago.

Weah is finally becoming part of this team. Last two windows have finally made me feel like he belongs, and wants to be there.

ESPN (and only ESPN) seemed to talk about how Mexico was the better team in the first half. That the US was lucky not to be down a goal. That's BS. The US dominated in midfield, won most of the duels and had a higher xG. Mexico had <1 xG for the whole game.

I thought Mexico looked more dangerous in the first 30 minutes. Lozano got a pretty good chance after about 16 minutes. Mexico has world class attacking talent. We did well to shut them down, and I think that a lot of that had to do with cutting off their supply - which goes right to your point about the US dominating the midfield. I agree, first it was Musah with a couple nice carries, then McKennie came to life. For the last 2/3 of the game, we dominated the middle of the park. They were dangerous out wide on the counter, but I thought that we played very well for the most part.

It's truly the first time I feel like Mexico isn't technically superior at almost every position on the pitch. I feel like this young new US team has a lot of guys who are comfortable on the ball, good with close control, know where the good passes are, can make them, and can still stick in a tackle.

P.S. - I think that while many are critical of Berhalter tactically, one thing I notice is that these guys know where the pass should be, where it's available, what's safe, what's possible. Part of that may be down to them getting great instruction on world class teams over in Europe, but Berhalter has these guys knowing how to bring the ball upfield pretty effectively, at least when he has the first team all in there.

Win this next game and we are in good shape.. tie and we are pretty much right on schedule or just a little ahead. lose and we are back to fighting for 3-4th position again.

22-24 was the goal. win the 3 home games and we are are 23.. 3-2-2 should be enough but 4 teams have that same goal and if any of them goes 4-2-1 they can catch the other 3.

have to beat Panama at home so that they need to make up 6 pts on us. tie at at least one of the can/mex matches on the road.

If we beat Jamaica and win the 2 home games we can almost clinch things before the final 3 games if a couple other things happen.

Really disappointed I had to miss that one.

Highlights I saw made it look like Mexico dominated the first half. Also only showed the Aaronson kerfuffle but didn’t see why our keeper got a yellow.

Somebody (not sure if it was Weah) had a header on goal in the first half and he was completely undercut by his defender (no call).

Was shocked the face rake BS didn’t earn a straight red.

Dos a Cero is glorious

James Sands has been called in. It makes sense since he >can< play both CB or DM. I really hope Gregg goes for it in Jamaica and doesn't try to tinker too much.
My predicted lineup for Jamaica

Aaronson - Pepi - Weah
Musah - Adams - Busio
Jedi - Richards - Zimmerman - Scally?
Steffen

Again, while I would start Scally. Who knows that Gregg will do.
Busio takes McKennie's spot. Good news is that Busio can take free kicks/corners.

James Sands has been called in. It makes sense since he >can< play both CB or DM. I really hope Gregg goes for it in Jamaica and doesn't try to tinker too much.

Aaronson - Pepi - Weah
Musah - Adams - Busio
Steffen

Busio takes McKennie's spot. Good news is that Busio can take free kicks/corners.

I expect this same XI with Yedlin probably going again at RB. The next round of qualifiers in has two home games where I would expect Scally to get his first start.

Aaronson - Pepi - Weah
Musah - Adams - Busio
Steffen

Who is "Jedi"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom