2021 USMNT Thread | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

He's not great, I'll agree. But you make it like he's Dino Babers.

I might be wrong, but so far I think he's had the best start of any US team coach. And he's actually able to recruit quality European based players who seem to enjoy playing for the USMNT. They certainly have the make up of "a gang" of talented guys who are building chemistry together.

Timmy Chandler never felt like he wanted to be there. Or Fabian Johnson. So many of the guys that Klinsmann tried to recruit were nowhere near the quality of this current group of youngsters.

What you're watching in Berhalter is a more tactically astute version of Klinsmann, delivering the kind of football Klinsmann wanted to play but couldn't bring about, with young, and somewhat inconsistent players.

He's building a strong culture within the squad. We are so clearly past the old war horses who we had to reply on last time around. It's a new team and it clearly has a promising future.

Berhalter probably won't get past the Round of 16 in Qatar. But if he does, what do you do then?
Say the US makes a run to the quarterfinals, how do you fire him?

You don't, unless you can get a big name, a top shelf coach. And with a good squad coming off a reasonably good World Cup, and being the host - we might actually get that coach you are hankering for.

But Berhalter is going to get his chance. And they are doing well enough to likely qualify. Of course it's not over yet, but we're well into the campaign now.
I don’t require a big name coach.
I just want a sound coach who actually can use the talent we have properly and not try to install a style that they want regardless of the talent.

Berhalter wasn’t even the best coach in MLS when we hired him.
He used his inside connections within USSF to get the job.
Babers has struggled but I would rather have him than Berhalter.

Berhalter has the Michigan job in CONCACAF. Mexico is Ohio State.
I don’t think he has done well regardless of the results.its better to be lucky than good and he has been lucky.

I don’t require a big name coach.
I just want a sound coach who actually can use the talent we have properly and not try to install a style that they want regardless of the talent.

Berhalter wasn’t even the best coach in MLS when we hired him.
He used his inside connections within USSF to get the job.
Babers has struggled but I would rather have him than Berhalter.

Berhalter has the Michigan job in CONCACAF. Mexico is Ohio State.
I don’t think he has done well regardless of the results.its better to be lucky than good and he has been lucky.
Hugo Perez would do wonders with this team. The way USSF treated Hugo is nothing less than shocking. He desperately wanted to coach in the federation and bridge the gap between USSF and the latino community.

GGG - what is that 9 matches with 1 goal in the first-half. A guy who's plan to start a match consistently sucks.

USA will qualify for the world cup, do poorly in the group stage and then hopefully find a proper coach.

FBqcSBgWEAAya-X.jpg

GGG reminds me of Gian Ventura of Italy. He failed to get Italy into the WC18. He talked about how he deserved to keep his job. He only lost 2 games (ended up with 3). They came in 2nd in their group to Spain. They went to the playoffs against Sweden and lost. While losing, he tried to sub in Daniele DeRossi while losing. De Rossi was pointing to Insigne, saying Italy needed a striker not a defender.

Sports Illustrated on the October window - basically, "job done". We are part of the Top 3 who are beginning to separate from the pack.

FInally! Accurate standings! You clearly didn't get them from ESPN. LOL

Panama could get 6 points in November.

Mexico travels to Canada and the US. That's a tough window for a team with quite a few injuries. They could get anywhere from 1 to 6 points. 6 points and they create a cushion at the top.

US travels to Jamaica in Nov, in addition to the home game v. Mexico.

For the US's expectations - hopefully we get 3 to 6 points. We really need the win in Jamaica for our own cushion to remain firmly within Top 3, regardless of what happens against Mexico.

But I think if Pulisic and Reyna return, and we actually have our whole first team for a big game, we should beat Mexico.

Canada also hosts Costa Rica in November, IIRC. Not a gimme.

Lot of BIG games in November, even though it's just 2 each for this window. The best players are going to play both games, injuries permitting. This one is too important to fool around.

Guys had their chances in the last couple windows to earn a spot; and a few did just that.

Sports Illustrated on the October window - basically, "job done". We are part of the Top 3 who are beginning to separate from the pack.

Good quote from the SI article:

"If Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna are fit to rejoin the team—and take a second to consider that the U.S. has secured 11 points from six games by getting just one match out of Reyna, just over one and a half from Pulisic and one and a half from imposing center back John Brooks—then Berhalter may actually have a full complement of top talent for his first time as U.S. coach."

It's worth remembering. The supposed "stars" of the team haven't been involved very much at all, yet.

This team has a higher ceiling. This team can get a lot better offensively. Call me crazy, but I think having our two most talented attacking players back will make a difference. I could honestly see us thrashing Mexico if everybody is healthy, and if everybody "clicks".

This one is from a few days ago, but I liked this quote about Pepi.

I think he is going to be our number 9, with Darryl Dike and Jordan Pefok. We also could use one of the Energizer Bunnies, like Matthew Hoppe or Brendan Aaronson, as a number 9.

How many people can we take to the World Cup?

Anyway, back to Pepi. I liked this quote from SI:

"The Americans don’t need someone in that role who can create off the dribble or bomb away from distance. They’re looking for their Lewandowski—someone who can find the right run in a split second and then find the composure to finish off the play. 'It’s about being patient,' Pepi said of his wait to make his mark against Jamaica."

That's a great description of Pepi, great comparison. If he can be a poacher, we could use somebody with those skills, who can clearly hit the back of the net.

Good quote from the SI article:

"If Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna are fit to rejoin the team—and take a second to consider that the U.S. has secured 11 points from six games by getting just one match out of Reyna, just over one and a half from Pulisic and one and a half from imposing center back John Brooks—then Berhalter may actually have a full complement of top talent for his first time as U.S. coach."

It's worth remembering. The supposed "stars" of the team haven't been involved very much at all, yet.

This team has a higher ceiling. This team can get a lot better offensively. Call me crazy, but I think having our two most talented attacking players back will make a difference. I could honestly see us thrashing Mexico if everybody is healthy, and if everybody "clicks".

If Brooks comes back would that mean Miles Robinson is out of the starting lineup?

If Brooks comes back would that mean Miles Robinson is out of the starting lineup?

I think Robinson is one of our 2 best. Right now, in a big game, I would play Miles Robinson with Walker Zimmerman. I don't trust Brooks right now.

Ream shouldn't be in there except in emergency, and Aaron Long is still months away from recovery from his ACL.

McKenzie isn't experienced enough yet. He's had some good moments, but too inconsistent. Richards got his first game, but that's what it was, only his first game with the national team.

As I rewatch the Costa Rica game, it strikes me that a midfield of Tyler Adams - Weston McKennie - Yunus Musah could be Top 10 in the world in a couple years. Perfect balance among them.

How about a current USMNT two-deep, after the close of the October window?

My take:

Goal: (1) Matt Turner, (2) David Ochoa / Zack Steffen

Left Back: (1) Antonee Robinson, (2) Reggie Cannon

Center Back: (1) Miles Robinson, (2). Matt Miazga

Center Back: (1) Walker Zimmerman, (2) John Brooks

Right Back: (1) Sergino Dest, (2) DeAndre Yedlin / Shaq Moore

Holding Midfielder: (1) Tyler Adams, (2) Kellyn Acosta

Box to Box Midfieid: (1) Yunus Musah, (2) Gianluca Busio

Attacking Midfield: (1) Weston McKennie, (2) Brendan Aaronson / Luca de la Torre

Left Winger: (1) Christian Pulisic, (2) Matthew Hoppe

Center Forward: (1) Ricardo Pepi, (2) Darryl Dike

Right Winger: (1) Giovanni Reyna, (2) Timothy Weah

My take:

Attacking Midfield: (1) Weston McKennie, (2) Brendan Aaronson / Luca de la Torre

Very solid starters. I like Turner as the number 1 as well. I think it will hard to get Aaronson in there but I think he would be a sub for Reyna or Pulisic but not sure he is in before Weah

Amazing goal by Davies last night to give Canada a 2-1 lead. I am amazed by how quickly he gained ground on that defender.

My take:

David Ochoa switched to Mexico months ago. He's already been called up to their U21 camp.

Very solid starters. I like Turner as the number 1 as well. I think it will hard to get Aaronson in there but I think he would be a sub for Reyna or Pulisic but not sure he is in before Weah

Yes, I agree. Aaronson has been used mostly as a left winger, but when Pulisic is back, I think if Berhalter wants to fit him in, he should consider using him as an attacking mid. He would still be part of the high press, which would suit his energy. I don't really watch MLS, but I understand he is a midfielder for his club.

I think that's a pretty strong 2 deep, to be honest. I'm comfortable with all but a couple of those guys.

David Ochoa switched to Mexico months ago. He's already been called up to their U21 camp.

Sorry. Thanks for the correction. He's still listed on the USMNT web site on the roster.

My take:

Nice 2-deep… a few thoughts
- I’m not sure Reyna out wide works… he is too isolated and dribbles into too many corners and between him and Dest, the right touchline would be WIDE open. I put him at attacking midfield
- Aaronson has been playing left winger and doing a good job, I’d keep him there
- Brooks and Miazga might be done, between McKenzie and Richards, I think their spots have been taken
- Joe Scally better get a call up… he can play either fullback position
- I think Hoppe is a 9, but he needs to score some goals or he will be a utility player
- No Zardes? He is more impactful than Dike right now.
- kdlf is probably somewhere in this mix as well… but might be on the outside looking in

This is by far the most talented US squad ever… but the best players don’t quite fit together. Why should Aronson sit for Reyna or Pulisic? Is Reyna that much better than Musah or Busio? Should Adams and McKinnie both play or should Weston sit for Busio/Reyna/Myeah? Should Pulisic play wing for the US when he totally destroys our shape and we lose all width?

Experiments a better coach than we have would try
- Pulisic as a false 9, with some combo of Aaronson, Weah, Hoppe, Pepe making runs off him
- a 4-4-2 with Pulisic/Pepe as strikers and a diamond 4 of Reyna, Musah, Adams, McKinnie

The options are endless... we need a coach with no preconceptions and an imagination

Nice 2-deep… a few thoughts
- I’m not sure Reyna out wide works… he is too isolated and dribbles into too many corners and between him and Dest, the right touchline would be WIDE open. I put him at attacking midfield
I kind of agree that both he and Pulisic would be better as a number 10, but Berhalter's formation with our best midfield is a 4-3-3. That forces Reyna out wide. He's not sturdy enough to be your attacking mid, IMO. You still have to tackle if you play in the midfield 3.

- Aaronson has been playing left winger and doing a good job, I’d keep him there
Yes, but what about Hoppe? My thought here was that one of them could be used in midfield. I don't know that we need so many wingers on a roster if everyone's healthy. We're going to have to find places that we can use people, or perhaps change formation to get more of our important people in positions where they can do well.

- Brooks and Miazga might be done, between McKenzie and Richards, I think their spots have been taken
Brooks might have been injured in Sept. I don't think either McKenzie or Richards have shown enough yet to throw the other guys away. That was Richards' first game, and he was a bit shaky; same with McKenzie in this window. Lots of risky passes in the back. Not ready for prime time, yet.
- Joe Scally better get a call up… he can play either fullback position
- I think Hoppe is a 9, but he needs to score some goals or he will be a utility player
- No Zardes? He is more impactful than Dike right now.
- kdlf is probably somewhere in this mix as well… but might be on the outside looking in

This is by far the most talented US squad ever… but the best players don’t quite fit together. Why should Aronson sit for Reyna or Pulisic? Is Reyna that much better than Musah or Busio? Should Adams and McKinnie both play or should Weston sit for Busio/Reyna/Myeah? Should Pulisic play wing for the US when he totally destroys our shape and we lose all width?

I think with Pulisic, his goal record when healthy is the best of anyone in the squad. To me, he's like a better Landon Donovan. But he needs to toughen up and become more durable.

I think we have enough guys to rotate in midfield - and on the wings - to keep players fresh. The current choice will come down to form. It's better to have competition in the squad.

Experiments a better coach than we have would try
- Pulisic as a false 9, with some combo of Aaronson, Weah, Hoppe, Pepe making runs off him
- a 4-4-2 with Pulisic/Pepe as strikers and a diamond 4 of Reyna, Musah, Adams, McKinnie

The options are endless... we need a coach with no preconceptions and an imagination

I see what you're saying. These are still young players, though, and they are learning to play together. I don't know if they're mature enough to take on too much tactical information at this point. Maybe 6 months from now, but not now. We need to win some ball games.

My ST depth chart:
Pepi
Pefok
Hoppe
Dike
Sargent
Zardes

We shouldn’t ever recall Zardes for a WCQ or WC match.

It’s like Wondo we could never not have him.

My ST depth chart:
Pepi
Pefok
Hoppe
Dike
Sargent
Zardes

We shouldn’t ever recall Zardes for a WCQ or WC match.

It’s like Wondo we could never not have him.
What’s the difference between Hoppe, Dike, Sargent and Zardes? Zardes actually scores goals. Just scored two over the weekend for club and has scored for USMNT. Right now the others are just unrealized potential. Dike had the hot streak last spring but not much since .

What’s the difference between Hoppe, Dike, Sargent and Zardes? Zardes actually scores goals. Just scored two over the weekend for club and has scored for USMNT. Right now the others are just unrealized potential. Dike had the hot streak last spring but not much since .

Gyasi Zardes is consistently under-whelming. But he works hard, runs hard at the top of the press, and he does get an occasional goal about once every four to six games.

While he's a hard worker, and a valuable guy, he's kind of like a Paul Arriola, Tim Ream or Sebastian Lleget kind of player - we've seen the best of what they have to offer, and honestly, it's not good enough unless somebody else is hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom