2021 USMNT Thread | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

I think that the problem for Reyna is the system. There's no real "traditional 10" in a 4-3-3 lineup.
Rayna would do better for us in a 4-2-3-1, as the middle guy in the 3.

Kellyn Acosta is Tyler Adams' backup as the holding midfielder. You might argue that Acosta isn't dynamic enough, but what we really need him to do back there is shield the defense, and find the first pass forward. That's all. I don't want Acosta roaming all over the park. Our centerbacks are not that tight.

I think this is a very good observation. "Switching Cost" is too high right now. Berhalter is going to be the man for this World Cup cycle, unless they completely fall apart.
Agree on Acosta/Adams . If/when we lose with this group it won’t be because we gave up to many goals, it will be because we didn’t create enough chances like Panama or Canada (yes I know we drew w Canada but the offense was terrible). But having said that if Acosta forms the Bermuda Triangle with Lletget and Robinson we could have Messi and Ronaldo at forward and it wouldn’t matter because they would need to drop too deep to get the ball.

While I do like Lletget I can't easily forgive his Panama performance. Biggest issue was he kept killing the ball and passing backwards or not turning and opening the field. I just hate during a match when a midfielder is constantly looking for the negative option.

While I do like Lletget I can't easily forgive his Panama performance. Biggest issue was he kept killing the ball and passing backwards or not turning and opening the field. I just hate during a match when a midfielder is constantly looking for the negative option.
That’s my issue with Lleget to a T…. is it because Gregg is telling him to play that way or if it’s his instinct?

I think that the problem for Reyna is the system. There's no real "traditional 10" in a 4-3-3 lineup.
Rayna would do better for us in a 4-2-3-1, as the middle guy in the 3.
Agreed. That is why I mentioned a different formation to get Reyna on the field. He really doesn't fit a 4-3-3.
Kellyn Acosta is Tyler Adams' backup as the holding midfielder. You might argue that Acosta isn't dynamic enough, but what we really need him to do back there is shield the defense, and find the first pass forward. That's all. I don't want Acosta roaming all over the park. Our centerbacks are not that tight.
Agreed. Acosta's problem is that he is an inaccurate passer and, too many times, that first pass forward goes astray.

Agreed. Acosta's problem is that he is an inaccurate passer and, too many times, that first pass forward goes astray.

Acosta is an odd duck. He's up and down from game to game. I suppose it depends on the quality of opponent (and if we're playing at home or away). Sometimes he seems really excellent in his role, and then other times, as you said, he can't hit a pass forward, so he turns negative, and retreats to between the centerbacks.

Great read go through this thread past few days.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the 4-2-3-1 because you need your two defensive minded middies to work well together, not occupy the same space and also work well with the wingers to prevent getting beat frequently on the counter.

With that said I do like on paper what having Adams/Mckennie linking with Reyna could do for us. The big question is who gets the nod beyond Pulisic? Aaronson or Musah?

The other piece I like about this formation is that even with Acosta's flaws it somewhat protects him and also he has that same work rate and range as Adams. Just without the quality as a passer and a shakier first touch.

Final thought again more agreeing than new is that we have to find another 9. If we can, then you legit can run that formation without needing a change. Once Pepi comes out right now, Zardes just doesn't cut it so you end up having to switch the formation up on attack because of a lack of personnel. I hate that and it's part of the reason that while we have depth, we don't have enough to the level we need to go further once we make the WC. Still time for the options there to get into form and stake a claim but right now it is absolutely a concern.

How much different is Pepe and Dike are they both a 9?

To me Pepe is the guy who gets in the spots to score and can make a pass but doesnt do much to control it or make moves? Dike looked a bit like Altidore you could pass him the ball he could control it and shoot or pass but also made some moves with the ball?

Pepe came from off most radars pretty fast, could someone else?

How much different is Pepe and Dike are they both a 9?

To me Pepe is the guy who gets in the spots to score and can make a pass but doesnt do much to control it or make moves? Dike looked a bit like Altidore you could pass him the ball he could control it and shoot or pass but also made some moves with the ball?

Pepe came from off most radars pretty fast, could someone else?

Pepi has a better first touch and control so can play and link together better than Dike. I think Dike is a great bench option when the defense is tired to use his natural gifts and nose for goal.

Great read go through this thread past few days.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the 4-2-3-1 because you need your two defensive minded middies to work well together, not occupy the same space and also work well with the wingers to prevent getting beat frequently on the counter.

With that said I do like on paper what having Adams/Mckennie linking with Reyna could do for us. The big question is who gets the nod beyond Pulisic? Aaronson or Musah?

The other piece I like about this formation is that even with Acosta's flaws it somewhat protects him and also he has that same work rate and range as Adams. Just without the quality as a passer and a shakier first touch.

Final thought again more agreeing than new is that we have to find another 9. If we can, then you legit can run that formation without needing a change. Once Pepi comes out right now, Zardes just doesn't cut it so you end up having to switch the formation up on attack because of a lack of personnel. I hate that and it's part of the reason that while we have depth, we don't have enough to the level we need to go further once we make the WC. Still time for the options there to get into form and stake a claim but right now it is absolutely a concern.
I concur.

No reason you cannot adjust tactically within the 4-3-3 to accommodate Reyna's tendency to drfit inside and take advantage of his skillset as a 10.

For example, pairing him with Dest would actually result in a situation where you would want Dest getting high and providing width and you would want Reyna to cut inside into the channel.

The key there would be making sure that Musah/McKennie (assuming they are 2/3rds of the midfield triangle) and the 9 don't infringe upon his space.

That is what the issue was vs El Salvador (and is another red flag for me with Berhalter)

It is not a difficult tactical adjustment to make. Each player just needs to clearly understand role and place.

Hate to keep using Italy as the example but Spinazzola plays high on left. Insignie tends to cut into channel. Barella plays more on the right. Jorginho plays deeper and centrally and Verratti plays more center-left. This keeps Verratti out of Insignie's space and keeps the field balanced.

US Roster drops tomorrow.
LOL...gotta give Berhalter credit...not afraid to bring in unproven guys...needs a right back so brings in Scally with no caps; lots of options at the 9 and he brings in Ferreira with 2. Other than Pepi is there a true 9 on the roster?

Pulisic back is good; Dest out is bad. Reyna still out. Zardes hurt.

Sands is back after being left out of the last three-game series (was he hurt?)

Cannon called in for first time in qualifying

Bello, De La Torre, Moore and Hoppe left out from last 3 game series.

Mexico:

Berhalter went with a 3-4-3 back in June. Could he do that again? I don't see it. Tough to get Musah on the field in that alignment. I assume we'll go with a 4-3-3.

Pulisic left, Pepi up top. Aaronson or Weah or Arriola on the right? I'll go with Aaronson for $100 Alex.

Musah, McKennie and Adams in the midfield triangle.

The back? Wow. Let's assume Robinson on the left and Robinson in the center.

On the right? Would not surprise me at all if he started Scally. Yedlin or Cannon would be the more cautious choice, especially against Mexico who can really punish mistakes. I'll go with Scally because, well, why not?

Center-back pairing with Robinson? Honestly no idea. Again, left out Brooks despite fact that he is back in starting line-up at Wolfsburg. 34 total caps at CB but Berhalter has already shown that, for the most part, inexperience does not bother him. I'll go with Zimmerman.

Keeper? Again no idea. I'll go with Steffen.

LOL...gotta give Berhalter credit...not afraid to bring in unproven guys...needs a right back so brings in Scally with no caps; lots of options at the 9 and he brings in Ferreira with 2. Other than Pepi is there a true 9 on the roster?

Pulisic back is good; Dest out is bad. Reyna still out. Zardes hurt.

Sands is back after being left out of the last three-game series (was he hurt?)

Cannon called in for first time in qualifying

Bello, De La Torre, Moore and Hoppe left out from last 3 game series.

Mexico:

Berhalter went with a 3-4-3 back in June. Could he do that again? I don't see it. Tough to get Musah on the field in that alignment. I assume we'll go with a 4-3-3.

Pulisic left, Pepi up top. Aaronson or Weah or Arriola on the right? I'll go with Aaronson for $100 Alex.

Musah, McKennie and Adams in the midfield triangle.

The back? Wow. Let's assume Robinson on the left and Robinson in the center.

On the right? Would not surprise me at all if he started Scally. Yedlin or Cannon would be the more cautious choice, especially against Mexico who can really punish mistakes. I'll go with Scally because, well, why not?

Center-back pairing with Robinson? Honestly no idea. Again, left out Brooks despite fact that he is back in starting line-up at Wolfsburg. 34 total caps at CB but Berhalter has already shown that, for the most part, inexperience does not bother him. I'll go with Zimmerman.

Keeper? Again no idea. I'll go with Steffen.

Kinda hoping Turner gets the nod. Steffen was a little shaky last time out.

I'm in the same mindset with the squad.. who the hell knows with Berhalter right now. Ride or die with creative gambles??

Its not like Mexico has played all that well in qualifying so far either though? Lots of shaky play, a couple nice wins. no bad games really just blah ones. Tie mexico and you are right on the pace to qualify.. Beat mexico and we go to first in the Pool have way thru..

No Brooks, No De La Torre, no Dest (who picked up a minor injury but could play)
Is it based on club form? On recent NT form? Then how does one explain Accosta and LLeget? Accosta hasn't played the 2 most recent games for his MLS club. Lleget can't even start for LA Galaxy. Both were much worse than Brooks for the NT recently.

No Brooks, No De La Torre, no Dest (who picked up a minor injury but could play)
Is it based on club form? On recent NT form? Then how does one explain Accosta and LLeget? Accosta hasn't played the 2 most recent games for his MLS club. Lleget can't even start for LA Galaxy. Both were much worse than Brooks for the NT recently.

To FA's point Brooks is a head scratcher. Dest recently injured. No idea on De La Torre..

Acosta I'm fine with- fits a role in qualifying. Lletget seems to have a lifetime membership card he can use every so often...

Acosta is the only other true 6 on the roster. His inclusion makes a ton of sense unless, of course, you want Yuell or maybe bring back Bradley? Or you can try Sands again in that role?

Acosta is limited but we are not exactly brimming with alternatives at the 6.

Every national team coach has security blankets. Frankly, most national team coaches have a lot more than Berhalter does but I think Lleget is one of them (as is Zardes). Experienced guys who, for whatever reason, Berhalter likes and trusts.
Both were much worse than Brooks for the NT recently.
Ok, this statement you are going to have to back up with specific examples as I am not buying it.

Brooks was partially culpable on both goals conceded against Canada (too high in the box) and Honduras (terrible step).

Lleget is a role player. Surround him with play makers and he can fill a role. Ask him to be a difference maker, as happened during the Panama game, and he is simply too limited to fill that role.

Relatively speaking, I think Brooks' performance during the Canada and Honduras' games was worse than anything we've seen from Lleget.

Anyone else feeling uneasy. Like 0-2-0 zero point two match stretch upcoming?
Pretty much always.

US roster is very young these days. Talented, but young and raw. And the experienced guys just aren't as talented.

Plus Berhalter, to me, is still a wild card. Still not sure if there is a clear method to the madness or if it is just madness.

6 points would not surprise me. 0 would but it would not shock me.

When I go through the roster and I'm not sure who half the starting line-up is going (especially the back four and the keeper) to be against Mexico or what the formation will be, not much in terms of outcomes would be that startling.

Acosta is the only other true 6 on the roster. His inclusion makes a ton of sense unless, of course, you want Yuell or maybe bring back Bradley? Or you can try Sands again in that role?

Every national team coach has security blankets. Frankly, most national team coaches have a lot more than Berhalter does but I think Lleget is one of them (as is Zardes). Experienced guys who, for whatever reason, Berhalter likes and trusts.

Ok, this statement you are going to have to back up with specific examples as I am not buying it.

Brooks was partially culpable on both goals conceded against Canada (too high in the box) and Honduras (terrible step).

Lleget is a role player. Surround him with play makers and he can fill a role. Ask him to be a difference maker, as happened during the Panama game, and he is simply too limited to fill that role.

Relatively speaking, I think Brooks' performance during the Canada and Honduras' games was worse than anything we've seen from Lleget.

I agree with Brooks looking bad in those two but how much of that was just on him vs a complete lack of any chemistry with the rest of the back 4. He spent both matches reacting all game and no one was stepping up to get things organized Berhalter included.

Not saying he was good, he wasn't, but seeing a guy struggle we know is more than capable at club and USMNT experience and factoring in the Berhalter strategy of no two starting 11s are ever alike I think is of detriment to some guys.

It reminds me so much of my SR yr in HS. Got hurt midway through the season but we had a new coach who had played and coached in the NASL( not like that means all that much). We spent the summer and first 4 games "trying out" lineups and positions. Then he decided to rotate lineups until almost 2/3 through the season. It was a nightmare trying to function in that environment. Never got comfortable at all and lost way too many games. Obviously a professional can handle themselves but still- it's a freaking PITA trying to build out some consistency.

Berhalter does need to know what he has but at some point need to land this thing and work towards a final squad.

Last edited:
I agree with Brooks looking bad in those two but how much of that was just on him vs a complete lack of any chemistry with the rest of the back 4. He spent both matches reacting all game and no one was stepping up to get things organized Berhalter included.

Not saying he was good, he wasn't, but seeing a guy struggle we know is more than capable at club and USMNT experience and factoring in the Berhalter strategy of no two starting 11s are ever alike I think is of detriment to some guys.

It reminds me so much of my SR yr in HS. Got hurt midway through the season but we had a new coach who had played and coached in the NASL( not like that means all that much). We spent the summer and first 4 games "trying out" lineups and positions. Then he decided to rotate lineups until almost 2/3 through the season. It was a nightmare trying to function in that environment. Never got comfortable at all and lost way too many games.

Berhalter does need to know what he has but at some point need to land this thing and work towards a final squad.
I agree completely. Why the jury is till out. I am not a fan of swapping out most, or all, of the back line. Communication and cohesion so important for that group.

To be clear, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the assertion that leaving Brooks out was a bad decision, I was disagreeing with the reasoning that Lleget and Acosta have looked much worse.

Having a group of four centerbacks with a grand total of 34 caps is worrisome.

I agree completely. Why the jury is till out. I am not a fan of swapping out most, or all, of the back line. Communication and cohesion so important for that group.

To be clear, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the assertion that leaving Brooks out was a bad decision, I was disagreeing with the reasoning that Lleget and Acosta have looked much worse.

Having a group of four centerbacks with a grand total of 34 caps is worrisome.

Yep. I love the talent with the youngsters but you see the youth every time out. We have been fortunate to get away with some of those miscues so far. That is a dangerous game to play.

To FA's point Brooks is a head scratcher. Dest recently injured. No idea on De La Torre..

Acosta I'm fine with- fits a role in qualifying. Lletget seems to have a lifetime membership card he can use every so often...

I would guess that he's giving Brooks more time to heal, hoping he gets a good run of games for his club side. Plus, he was terrible last time for USMNT.

As far as backup 6s they should take the time to scout Chris Durkin. Consistent starter in Belgium. No idea if he's that food but is the kind of prospect you call in and assess in camp without the need to play him.

The roster is ok. I'm a big big Scally fan. He has the swag and confidence right now. Really great player.

Brooks played bad, I agree. Also had some poor games with Wolfsburg. But then apply that same criteria to other players.

I don't know what's happened to Lleget over the past year or so. When he first was getting callups he would come in as a high energy sub. I've heard stories about him being a bad teammate recently but I'm not 100% sure those stories are accurate.

Accosta is having trouble getting playing time in MLS. He may even be injured. Instead of Accosta and Lleget I would call in Sands and/or Christian Cappis who has been playing very well in Denmark Tanner Tessman (not a 6, I know) maybe but he is just starting to get PT in Italy.

Arriola has his uses since his workrate is great. As a defensive winger sub if that makes sense. He's just not very good once we win the ball and he needs more technical players around him who can advance the ball.

Roldan - he scores in MLS but not for the Nats. 1 goal 0 assists? We have tons of better options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom