2022-23 Portal Cup | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Portal Cup

Looks like we're in the clear for now in terms of retaining our guys. Lost 2 starters in Duce and Jahad, but could have been worse. Has been very quiet in terms of visitors, other than the QB who's going to JC.
I think that's the way Dino likes it. He tried to have Jared Verse as hush hush as possible.

Not quite. One more coming (or leaving).
I think I read from something CL provided that indicates schools have 48 hours after the 18th to post the player in the portal administratively. So if there is one more it would be by tomorrow at the latest if I understand that correctly?

Not quite. One more coming (or leaving).

Wow. Talk about cutting it close.

You’ve gotta assume whomever it is, is already 100% sure of their destination, and entering the portal
is just a formality.

Which of course begs the question -
How can a student-athlete know where they’re landing, if they never entered the portal, and thus any contact from other schools prior is blatant tampering?

Yeah, I know.
It’s a rhetorical question.

I think that's the way Dino likes it. He tried to have Jared Verse as hush hush as possible.

There are rare cases that kids don't uses social media but every portal kid is in the portal database. They are known quantities and schools have recruiting staffs being paid for this stuff. Trying to be quiet about it is just so dumb in today's world. When you're at the bottom of recruiting nobody is watching you to see who you bring in. IMO Syracuse should be promoting who they;re bringing in. That might in fact get other kids interested in giving the place a look. I hope the next coach isn't afraid to showcase the program from open practices to recruiting and maybe create a little buzz and excitement.

Last edited:
I’ve come around to thinking we should just build our team around the portal. 10+ every season.
As much as I despise the portal process as it exists, and as much as I hate the NIL lack of control as it exists, there is a lot of truth in what you say.

The other factor IMO, is that Babers fosters a family atmosphere. I think all college coaches try to do this, but I suspect Babers really means it. And for so many of these kids, or young men if you prefer, family influence and strong male role models in particular are desperately needed and wanted.

For kids who aren’t solely focused on short term NIL gratification, the support of a family atmosphere may be just what they’re looking for. Most of these kids will eventually come to the realization that they’re not going to make it in the NFL, and a stable, honest support system can go a long way to helping them forge a new path. For some, the NFL may still be in play, and that’s fine.

There was a time when college football was more about academics. I wish that was still the case. Perhaps it was: academics, NFL/$, family.

Maybe now it’s: $/NFL, family, academics. I don’t really know.

But for everything that is wrong in CFB right now, one residual benefit would be if it leads a large segment of kids to realize that academics and family are ultimately more important. And I can think of no one more prepared to deliver on the “family” promise that Coach Babers.

And I suspect portal kids are more likely to gravitate to family than many others.

Should use whatever NIL money we can muster and try and tempt that Georgia WR AD Mitchell, might cost a million + but talk about a difference maker.

I would like to see someone report how the number of HS scholarships this year compares with previous years. My guess is scholarships were given to 75-percent the number in other years. Fewer kids earning scholarships right out of HS.

But it’s all about the kids…

Ole Miss had some success in the northeast
That was largely due to Chris Partridge, who is from NJ. He is now unemployed. We have discussed him possibly being a fit at Syracuse, but that looks like a long shot for SU, especially after Nunzio was added to the staff as our NJ recruiter...

That was largely due to Chris Partridge, who is from NJ. He is now unemployed. We have discussed him possibly being a fit at Syracuse, but that looks like a long shot for SU, especially after Nunzio was added to the staff as our NJ recruiter...
You can never have enough NJ recruiting. It's a fruitful state plus in South Jersey you have the Philly connections.

I would like to see someone report how the number of HS scholarships this year compares with previous years. My guess is scholarships were given to 75-percent the number in other years. Fewer kids earning scholarships right out of HS.

But it’s all about the kids
The Covid bonus year is still messing with things, but besides that the number of players on scholarship across all schools has probably not changed significantly so if less high schoolers are getting scholarships wouldn’t some other group of kids/young adults be getting them?

The Covid bonus year is still messing with things, but besides that the number of players on scholarship across all schools has probably not changed significantly so if less high schoolers are getting scholarships wouldn’t some other group of kids/young adults be getting them?
Exactly. Total scholarship numbers haven't changed. Kids are just moving around playing for different teams. Older kids are staying in college for more years using up some of the scholarships that would typically go to the freshman in this class.

Exactly. Total scholarship numbers haven't changed. Kids are just moving around playing for different teams. Older kids are staying in college for more years using up some of the scholarships that would typically go to the freshman in this class.
Agree that Covid is still impacting the numbers of HS players who received scholarships this year - though I would like to see the actual numbers. But I maintain that long term, fewer HS kids will earn high level scholarships. The top teams will lose kids, or give kids the talk, and backfill with top portal kids. More HS kids are going to have to take low and mid level scholarships, with the hope of moving up to the elite programs.

Agree that Covid is still impacting the numbers of HS players who received scholarships this year - though I would like to see the actual numbers. But I maintain that long term, fewer HS kids will earn high level scholarships. The top teams will lose kids, or give kids the talk, and backfill with top portal kids. More HS kids are going to have to take low and mid level scholarships, with the hope of moving up to the elite programs.
Or go D2. The COVID year and transfer portal threw everything out of whack.

Agreed. I think number of freshman scholarship opportunities are going to be the same. As long as the total scholarships being used at any one time are the same and we are talking about kids having the typical 4 years of college or 5 for a redshirt year then the number of new scholarships available to the freshman each year should always be the same.

But now much more often the experienced talent already in college at lower level programs will now transfer more often to better programs, instead of those better programs taking a freshman like they have in the past. In general, this will result, in freshman needing to start at "lesser programs" until they prove themselves as valuable in college to the point where many will likely transfer to "better programs".

To me this just shifts what teams the proven talent is playing on up the food chain. Even talented freshman are more of a gamble than what you have seen from the better talent already playing in college. All the talent and experience is likely going to flow up to better programs and it will be harder for lesser programs to retain their hidden gems or developed talent. The higher profile programs with more NIL win. This just makes it so there seems to be a lot less parity. The best programs should never have a year where the young talent didn't pan out like hoped. They are now just picking from the best guaranteed talent. Top teams will always be on top and never down.

Agreed. I think number of freshman scholarship opportunities are going to be the same. As long as the total scholarships being used at any one time are the same and we are talking about kids having the typical 4 years of college or 5 for a redshirt year then the number of new scholarships available to the freshman each year should always be the same.

But now much more often the experienced talent already in college at lower level programs will now transfer more often to better programs, instead of those better programs taking a freshman like they have in the past. In general, this will result, in freshman needing to start at "lesser programs" until they prove themselves as valuable in college to the point where many will likely transfer to "better programs".

To me this just shifts what teams the proven talent is playing on up the food chain. Even talented freshman are more of a gamble than what you have seen from the better talent already playing in college. All the talent and experience is likely going to flow up to better programs and it will be harder for lesser programs to retain their hidden gems or developed talent. The higher profile programs with more NIL win. This just makes it so there seems to be a lot less parity. The best programs should never have a year where the young talent didn't pan out like hoped. They are now just picking from the best guaranteed talent. Top teams will always be on top and never down.
I don’t disagree with any of that. But want to point out it necessitates MORE kids having to transfer schools in order to play high level football. It’s encouraging more portal activity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom