2022 Fall Ball | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

Oh great, just like when Cuse had the best midfield in the country. Carc over exaggerates about everything after one good play.
Agreed. Gotta give him credit for using his platform to hype up the program. He's doing what he can to build a buzz. However, most people know to take what he says with a grain of salt as he's super biased.

Well the middie line he called "the best in the country" was indeed a very good middie line. Just probably not the absolute best but top 5 for sure. I will settle for a top 5 attack line!

Carc may not have mentioned the close D but I was told that they are playing extremely well and improving every practice. The team was very encouraged by the performance of the defensive unit at yesterdays scrimmage. Looking forward to the alumni game and Loyola scrimmage.

Goalie play well be improved. Transfer from LIU is excellent and the likely starter.

Was also told that this team has developed a very strong bond of brotherhood already. “The have each other’s back”. “Different feel” from the past few years.

Sounds like this team is on a mission.

Lastly the blue helmets are the “fall” helmets. Very important for some.

Carc may not have mentioned the close D but I was told that they are playing extremely well and improving every practice. The team was very encouraged by the performance of the defensive unit at yesterdays scrimmage. Looking forward to the alumni game and Loyola scrimmage.

Goalie play well be improved. Transfer from LIU is excellent and the likely starter.

Was also told that this team has developed a very strong bond of brotherhood already. “The have each other’s back”. “Different feel” from the past few years.

Sounds like this team is on a mission.

Lastly the blue helmets are the “fall” helmets. Very important for some.
When’s the alumni game? I’m fricking stoked for this.

Well the middie line he called "the best in the country" was indeed a very good middie line. Just probably not the absolute best but top 5 for sure. I will settle for a top 5 attack line!

That team underperformed ... by a lot.

It's not hard to imagine an attack line with two exceptionally skilled Canadians and a number 1 recruit, being really good. My only worry is that there isn't a real "ankle breaker" among them and sometime you just need someone who can dominate their match up.

I've really only been a casual observer until the last couple of years, but whatever the attack unit is should compare pretty favorably to Rice-Donahue-Staats, right? The question comes down to how much production the midfield units are able to provide in support? (And of course, can they stay healthy?)

That team underperformed ... by a lot.

It's not hard to imagine an attack line with two exceptionally skilled Canadians and a number 1 recruit, being really good. My only worry is that there isn't a real "ankle breaker" among them and sometime you just need someone who can dominate their match up.

I've really only been a casual observer until the last couple of years, but whatever the attack unit is should compare pretty favorably to Rice-Donahue-Staats, right? The question comes down to how much production the midfield units are able to provide in support? (And of course, can they stay healthy?)

I think the lack of a true dodger on offense is a concern. That said I don’t think it’s going to be the demise of the unit. I guess we could split hairs but to me, Marylands offense last year didn’t have a true ankle breaker, but they moved the ball at hyper speed so it didn’t matter. They had guys who could dodge but they knew the importance of passing the ball. The old adage is the ball will always move faster in the air than with someone carrying it.

Of course it’s easier said than done. Last year’s Orange offense could barely make simple passes. This year there will probably be only one returner from that unit, Jackson Birtwistle in the top six. I imagine that the offense will be more motion based rather than iso. On paper I think what’s important is that most of the players the Orange have can move the ball but they can also dodge. Not at a Michael Sowers level but at a level that will keep opposing defenses off balance. That, to me, is what matters.

I think the lack of a true dodger on offense is a concern. That said I don’t think it’s going to be the demise of the unit. I guess we could split hairs but to me, Marylands offense last year didn’t have a true ankle breaker, but they moved the ball at hyper speed so it didn’t matter. They had guys who could dodge but they knew the importance of passing the ball. The old adage is the ball will always move faster in the air than with someone carrying it.

Of course it’s easier said than done. Last year’s Orange offense could barely make simple passes. This year there will probably be only one returner from that unit, Jackson Birtwistle in the top six. I imagine that the offense will be more motion based rather than iso. On paper I think what’s important is that most of the players the Orange have can move the ball but they can also dodge. Not at a Michael Sowers level but at a level that will keep opposing defenses off balance. That, to me, is what matters.
Great take, Powellfan... Spin the rock and we will get open looks.

Are we thinking the starting midfield this fall is: Kirst, Finn. and Birtwhistle?

Great take, Powellfan... Spin the rock and we will get open looks.

Are we thinking the starting midfield this fall is: Kirst, Finn. and Birtwhistle?

Hard to know for sure. I would probably say a lefty gets on the first midfield line, perhaps Leo or Cordes. If Simmons starts at attack I would say Kirst is a definite to start on the first midfield. The rest is up the air, though it looks like there will be plenty of strong candidates. I would hope that if Birtwislte losses his attack spot, he will at least get a shot on the first midfield line. I would guess Thomson plays on the second line, but I'm sure that hasn't been decided yet. I hope at least one of the freshman is able to play their way on the first line. Syracuse definitely needs more production from their second line midfield group next season.

I 100% agree. My main concern with Maryland last season was their lack of a true alpha dodger. It ended up not hurting them because that entire team 100% SOLD OUT. They were on a mission for sure and they had 9 guys on the offensive side that totally bought into the system. A lot of motion, a lot of very "under control dodging" and they all finished off the charts well. I think the bulk of their 9 best offensive players finished the rock above 35% and some were in the 40's and 50's.

I think we end up seeing Spallina, Hiltz and Kirst on attack. As many have said, Simmons has a solid history at midfield for Denver and after the summer Kirst had, I think he'll roll onto the attack nicely. I like what people are saying about this team also "being on a mission". I think they'll all 100% sell out for this team. Nowhere near the experience MD had last year so I don't think you'll see that level of efficiency, but I do like the comparisons to the Rice/Donahue days. They didn't have a "killer" as a dodger, but they had guys that were as good in 6on6 sets as we've seen over the last decade because they all did "everything well". That 2015 season, the three attack played as well as you could ask, Rice (84 points, 33% shooting), Donahue (71 points, 39.7% shooting) and Staats (53 points, 38.7% shooting). That team was 13-3 and lost that heart breaker to Hop in the quarterfilnals.

I feel very good about the defense between the returners and the new additions and Mark in cage. I think the defense over-achieved last year compared to what we all expected despite the goalie woes. They were more aggressive than they had been in years.

Hmmm not sure I agree on Maryland not having true alpha dodgers last season. Khan came in as one of the best dodging attack in the big East. Demaio was a 1v1 threat for years. Long is one of the quickest guys in the nation. Murphy created serious problems when matched up against a short stick. Even Wisnauskas and Donville did quite a bit of damage there, especially if guarded by someone smaller. Everyone in their top 8 was a guy who you would rather not have a short stick on. Heck even on of their starting ssdms was a plus off the dodge. The team play is what made the team stand out from other top teams in recent years, but the ball movement would never have looked so good without a variety of guys who could get a defense rotating. I think a big part of the advantage they had last year was that their guys who were deadly offball (Wisnauskas, Donville, Murphy) were also a threat 1v1.

I spoke to transfer Jake Murphy who keeps in touch with Will Mark and Coach Petro weekly and he said Mark told him the new freshman especially Spallina are very motivated to win this yr and work hard. He said all the older guys are shocked how hungry the freshman are which is a great sign. Poor Murphy is going nuts he's not up there right now especially Petro gave him his locker and number all set for him. He said he's going up early December while school is out to train with Petro before spring season starts. The older and younger guys are hungry and all get along well which is a great sign. They also said some of these young talented freshman are playing impressive already and will definitely be ready to contribute right away. Having Cole as a leader on offense and idk who else on D but I do know Murphy was a 3 yr captain in Hs and was about to be a 3 yr captain at LIU if he didn't leave this season. He brings a lot of leadership skills so I really think this team will be a lot better then what's expected. I can't wait for the season. Oh Michael Leo is turning heards from what I hear too. Looks like a seasoned vet. Change has begun for this program it's on its way back. Will Mark is a very good goalie and I know the comp is stronger but he did well in all the games vs the higher ranked teams they played. He's gonna be a solid vet in net and will help groom the talented young guys to take over when he leaves. Football team is turning things around and looking good so next up will be Lax.

I spoke to transfer Jake Murphy who keeps in touch with Will Mark and Coach Petro weekly and he said Mark told him the new freshman especially Spallina are very motivated to win this yr and work hard. He said all the older guys are shocked how hungry the freshman are which is a great sign. Poor Murphy is going nuts he's not up there right now especially Petro gave him his locker and number all set for him. He said he's going up early December while school is out to train with Petro before spring season starts. The older and younger guys are hungry and all get along well which is a great sign. They also said some of these young talented freshman are playing impressive already and will definitely be ready to contribute right away. Having Cole as a leader on offense and idk who else on D but I do know Murphy was a 3 yr captain in Hs and was about to be a 3 yr captain at LIU if he didn't leave this season. He brings a lot of leadership skills so I really think this team will be a lot better then what's expected. I can't wait for the season. Oh Michael Leo is turning heards from what I hear too. Looks like a seasoned vet. Change has begun for this program it's on its way back. Will Mark is a very good goalie and I know the comp is stronger but he did well in all the games vs the higher ranked teams they played. He's gonna be a solid vet in net and will help groom the talented young guys to take over when he leaves. Football team is turning things around and looking good so next up will be Lax.
Mark is 2 time NEC D player of the year and 2 time HM AA. I would expect him to be successful at SU. I would be surprised if Murph gets much run for SU but we shall see - that's a big jump for a dmid.

Mark is 2 time NEC D player of the year and 2 time HM AA. I would expect him to be successful at SU. I would be surprised if Murph gets much run for SU but we shall see - that's a big jump for a dmid.
Don't be surprised if Murph starts he's very good defensively and tough. Footwork is ridiculous. U will b very suprised when u see him play. Seen him play this summer in top LI club league agajnst Brennan O'Neals team and he was the best defender on the field. Athletic and tough with great footwork. U do know Petro told him he is expected him to be a key contributor. At the level he played I can count on 1 hand how many times u seen him beat. His best games was agajnst St Joes, Stonybrook, Hofstra and Bryant. We shall see but again don't be surprised if he even starts with Avalez. He was a 1000 yd rusher in Hs and 3 time All County LB. Not just jacking him up because I know him only because I know how good defensively he is. Will be a big help if he plays as good as I expect. I think Petro expects too.

I don't mean to hype him up and sound like a jerk I just mean some kids that play at a lower level should be playing at a higher level and can handle it. He was an O middie and wasn't a top recruited O kid but when moved to D mid he found his home. I think he would have transferred sooner but he was loyal to his coach at LIU so once he left so did Murph. Can only help if he adjusts to the higher level but don't take it as I'm being a jerk. I just think he can and hope he does as it will only help Cuse having good DMs.

You obviously are fond of Murph and that's great. I have seen every LIU game the last two years. I am very familiar with Murph and his game. As an SU alum I hope he kills it. I am keeping my expectations low as I don't see it. ACC is tough sledding.

BTW, I heard Ferris is no longer with the squad. Anyone confirm?

You obviously are fond of Murph and that's great. I have seen every LIU game the last two years. I am very familiar with Murph and his game. As an SU alum I hope he kills it. I am keeping my expectations low as I don't see it. ACC is tough sledding.

BTW, I heard Ferris is no longer with the squad. Anyone confirm?
Oh ok good. He was hands down the best defending DM in the NEC last yr. If you ask any coach in conference who was most frustrating and best cover DM they would say Murph. Every team wants to match up with a shorty and he's so hard to beat. He's physical with great hips and footwork. I love how he challenges guys and gets right up on them. He didn't win All Conference due to St Joes winning it and getting a lot more picks so Ridder got it and the SH kid who transferred to Maryland due to his offensive stats. Murphs number one skill is being a great defender which to me is most important for a DM. I know he's so pumped for Cuse he's been working hard and I saw him play this summer and he was even better then last season. He started since freshman yr when they moved him to DM. He also did well agajnst Rutgers which is top comp. He covered Knobloch most of the game which he scored 1 goal but not on Murph. The kid is hard worker and very smart player. I mean honesty St Joes would have beat Cuse last yr they only lost to Deleware by 1, Penn in OT ans Yale in Tournament by 2. Coach Tayler wanted Murph to transfer there and when he told him he chose Cuse he said well if u change ur mind we have a starting spot for u and also if u choose to coach next yr we have a spot too. U should know he's a great kid with a great work ethic. Obviously I like the kid like u said but I honestly think he will be a solid DM in the ACC due to his defending skills ans toughness. He is also very good at the wing as he's aggressive and can scoop GBs. U ask Will Mark who he is most comfortable with in front of him at DM he will say Murph. He's been calling him making sure he didn't change is mind he wants him there. He's definitely going he wants to play for Petro bad. Rutgers also wanted him to transfer there along with Coach Meyer at Ohio State. I expect him due to how he works to be the best he possibly can be this yr that's why I think he will adjust well too. Like I said Coach Petro invited him to come up early December and train with him while school is out. He's a coaches player. I think Cuse fans will really like his game. I also think Petro wouldn't waste his final yr bringing him there to sit the bench. He believes in him to. He sees his defense ability and wants to coach him starting in December. We will see how it works out but don't count him out. He may suprise a lot of ppl how well he can cover guys. Who is Ferris ? I don't remember him on LIU?

Oh my bad I thought u were asking me if he was still on LIU. Lol

Looks like Cole Kirst is number 40. I believe Caelin Lewis switched from 40 to 15. Also Barrett White took Jacob Buttermore’s 31.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom