2022 Mets thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

A quick check of current year OPS vs. Career OPS, (I didn't deduct the current year from the latter or add in todays' box score), suggests that the Mets have not been having as strong an offensive year as we thought:

Alonso .925 this year minus .896 career = +29 points
Guillorme .728 -.699 = +29
McNeil .829 - .825 = +4
Marte .765-.795 = -30
Canha .736 - .772 = -36
Nimmo .784 - .840 = -46
Nido .498 - .549 = -51
Escobar .670 - .740 = -70
Lindor .737 - .814 = -77
Davis .678-.783 = -105
McCann .500 - .681 = -181
Smith .548 - .737 = -189

We've been doing it with mirrors. Now we need to do it with bats.

it was a bad matchup today. Texas struggles hitting the fastball and does well with off speed stuff. Wiliiams doesn’t have a good fastball. That was one of the top starting pitchers in the AL this year and he looked legit.:

Carrasco is starting tomorrow. He doesn’t have a great fastball but he has a better one than Trevor.

Smith, Lugo, Ottovino and Diaz should be available to pitch relief.

Too many Mets are struggling at the pitch right now. Alonso has disappeared. Canha is a mess. Nido and McCann are lost. JD isn’t doing much. Guillorme has finally hit a wall. At least it looks like Escobar might be getting it together.

Grey has been pitching well for the Rangers. Let’s hope Carlos has his act together.

Then we have Walker, Scherzer! and Peterson against the Reds. Though maybe Bassett bumps David if he gets cleared in time.

Hope better times are ahead.

A quick check of current year OPS vs. Career OPS, (I didn't deduct the current year from the latter or add in todays' box score), suggests that the Mets have not been having as strong an offensive year as we thought:

Alonso .925 this year minus .896 career = +29 points
Guillorme .728 -.699 = +29
McNeil .829 - .825 = +4
Marte .765-.795 = -30
Canha .736 - .772 = -36
Nimmo .784 - .840 = -46
Nido .498 - .549 = -51
Escobar .670 - .740 = -70
Lindor .737 - .814 = -77
Davis .678-.783 = -105
McCann .500 - .681 = -181
Smith .548 - .737 = -189

We've been doing it with mirrors. Now we need to do it with bats.
OPS is okay, but it “…treats OBP as equal in value with SLG, while OBP is roughly twice as important as SLG in terms of its effect on run scoring (x1.8 to be exact)” (from FanGraphs). Plus SLG is flawed because a double is not actually twice as valuable as a single.

OPS is okay, but it “…treats OBP as equal in value with SLG, while OBP is roughly twice as important as SLG in terms of its effect on run scoring (x1.8 to be exact)” (from FanGraphs). Plus SLG is flawed because a double is not actually twice as valuable as a single.

I just use OPS for quick looks like that. My objections are that you are adding two different percent ages which have different divisors, hits are counted twice and players are credited with something they were not trying to do, (HBP adds to OBP) and not credited with something they are trying to do, (stealing bases. That's why I prefer Total bases (by hits) + walks + steals for total base production, then RBI + RS - HR (so it isn't counted twice) for run production. Then divide by either plate appearances for a percentage or games played for an average. A great offensive player will produce approximately 3 bases and 1 run per game. Fans can compute that sitting in the stands watching the game and they understand what the resulting number really means, which I think are really important.

Also, a double is more than half a home run, as it will clear the bases, as a home run does and the likelihood of the runner from second scoring is pretty good.

We CNY Mets fans have a chance to see someone special play some games in Syracuse before he gets promoted to MLB.

Francisco Alvarez has been promoted to Syracuse.

Not a ton of future Hall of Famers play for the Syracuse franchise. Not sure Francisco is going to be that good but he has a better chance than anyone in recent memory.

You might want to take a few trips to the ballpark to check him out. He is not likely to be here for more than a couple of months and when he is called up, it is not likely he will return.

Last edited:
We CNY Mets fans have a chance to see someone special play some games in Syracuse before he gets promoted to MLB.

Francisco Alvarez has been promoted to Syracuse.

Not a ton of future Hall of Famers play for the Syracuse franchise. Not sure Francisco is going to be that good but he has a better chance than anyone in recent memory.

You might want to take a few trips to the ballpark to check him out. He is not likely to be here for more than a couple of months and when he is called up, it is not likely he will return.
I'm happy that the people of Syracuse get a chance to see him but with the way Mcann and Nido are playing he should be in flushing right now.

It is great Jake threw so hard but I kind of wish he limited himself to 95 mph in hopes of staying healthy the rest of the season.

We miss the two starters the Reds have left that are well thought off (Mahle and Castillo). They have two guys scheduled to start with ERAs above 5.00 the first two games of the series, and a guy with an ERA around 4.50 for the third game.

We have Walker, who has been our most consistent starter this year, and has a chance to be an All Star again, then Scherzer then a TBD that presumably will be Bassitt if he gets cleared from the COVID protocols in time.

Nice to gain a game on the Braves.

We still are having issues scoring runs. Alonso is a mess. McCann is even worse offensively than he was before he got hurt. Nimmo is slumping now and hitting a lot of pop ups.

Dom Smith went 2-4. Marte is hot and Escobar has hit an HR in three games in a row. Those 2 are now quietly up to 9 HRs each. Old reliable Jeff McNeil seems to get a hit almost every game. Hope he stays healthy for a while.

The Syracuse Mets are leading Lehigh Valley 1-0 in the bottom of the sixth before a giant crowd in Syracuse. Looks like Alvarez is not playing.

It is great Jake threw so hard but I kind of wish he limited himself to 95 mph in hopes of staying healthy the rest of the season.

We miss the two starters the Reds have left that are well thought off (Mahle and Castillo). They have two guys scheduled to start with ERAs above 5.00 the first two games of the series, and a guy with an ERA around 4.50 for the third game.

We have Walker, who has been our most consistent starter this year, and has a chance to be an All Star again, then Scherzer then a TBD that presumably will be Bassitt if he gets cleared from the COVID protocols in time.

Nice to gain a game on the Braves.

We still are having issues scoring runs. Alonso is a mess. McCann is even worse offensively than he was before he got hurt. Nimmo is slumping now and hitting a lot of pop ups.

Dom Smith went 2-4. Marte is hot and Escobar has hit an HR in three games in a row. Those 2 are now quietly up to 9 HRs each. Old reliable Jeff McNeil seems to get a hit almost every game. Hope he stays healthy for a while.

The Syracuse Mets are leading Lehigh Valley 1-0 in the bottom of the sixth before a giant crowd in Syracuse. Looks like Alvarez is not playing.

I don't recall Jake getting lauded for triple digit pitches when he won his Cy Young awards. That was Syndergaard's thing. Both went down when I started hearing about how may triple digit pitches they were throwing. Just throw like you did in your Cy Young years, Jake. That will be fine.

Alonso is 'a mess'?

I don't recall Jake getting lauded for triple digit pitches when he won his Cy Young awards. That was Syndergaard's thing. Both went down when I started hearing about how may triple digit pitches they were throwing. Just throw like you did in your Cy Young years, Jake. That will be fine.

Alonso is 'a mess'?
Yes he is. The post is talking about recent performance. He hasn’t had an RBI in 5 games, has left a lot of players on base and is struggling to hit the ball out of the infield.

He has been very good and consistent most of the season. This is his first slump. Not sure if it is a vestige of getting hit on the hand by a pitch or something else but it needs to get fixed. Too many runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs that don’t get advanced. Too many runners on 2nd with no outs that do not get advanced.

I think his discipline swinging at pitches out of the strike zone is and always will be a key for him. He isn’t being very disciplined right now.

Unfortunate but I see the runner, Khalil Lee, colliding with the catcher while he is also on the third base line, next to the plate.

1656956413682.png

What is he supposed to do, slam on the breaks and stop running when the catcher elects to set his feet and throw directly in his path to home?

Hope the catcher is okay.

Yes he is. The post is talking about recent performance. He hasn’t had an RBI in 5 games, has left a lot of players on base and is struggling to hit the ball out of the infield.

He has been very good and consistent most of the season. This is his first slump. Not sure if it is a vestige of getting hit on the hand by a pitch or something else but it needs to get fixed. Too many runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs that don’t get advanced. Too many runners on 2nd with no outs that do not get advanced.

I think his discipline swinging at pitches out of the strike zone is and always will be a key for him. He isn’t being very disciplined right now.

I see a couple of bad games, in one of which he scored a run.

Unfortunate but I see the runner, Khalil Lee, colliding with the catcher while he is also on the third base line, next to the plate.

View attachment 218138

What is he supposed to do, slam on the breaks and stop running when the catcher elects to set his feet and throw directly in his path to home?

Hope the catcher is okay.

Looks like a good play to me. Sometimes i think players object to good plays to prevent players from making them in the future.

Last edited:
Really need a sweep over Cincy. Marlins are playing good baseball again winning 5 in a row.

Looks like a good play to me. Sometimes i think players objects to good plays to prevent players from making them in the future.
its not even a legal play the way the rules are written these days. if my HS kids had done this i would have pulled them from the game.. it was barely even a slide to me. more of a launch towards the players leg well after he was out.

Braves are 24-7, (.774) since June 1st while the Mets are 16-13 (.552) But the Braves are 10-7 since their 14 game winning streak (.588), which is why the Mets' lead has stabilized. That's what 10 1/2 game leads are for.

You knew the game was over when Lugo air-mailed the first pitch. Buck wanted to save Ottavino for the 10th and Diaz "for when we're ahead". There was no 10th inning and we never got the lead. meanwhile the Mets' 'train' is still derailed.

Well, the Mets had enough rabbits in their hat tonight, after they reached down to the bottom of it.