2022 Mets thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Mets need an injection of power into their lineup... playing small ball is great but its hard to sustain over 162 games. There are times when you need a few guys to bash a few out of the park to make the game easier, but the Mets only have Alonso and if he's slumping. like he is right now, it's going to be really hard for the team to generate offense. Their other power bats i.e. Dom, JD, McCann and Escobar have been pretty much easy outs outside of a few weeks here and there. As much as people like to bash Lindor, and I agree he's not worth $300mm imagine how bad this offense would be without his RBIs and homers. I hope the Mets can somehow land Contreras without giving too much in prospects. I'd also like the Mets to call up Vientos to play DH and to spell Escobar. I think the mets need at least two power bats before the trade deadline.

The pen was a big concern going into the season and still is at the midway point. There is no bridge to Diaz at all and there are no left hand relievers. Mets need at least 2 arms if not 3. I'm still scratching my head at the situation with the pen... it was fairly obvious this spring that the pen was a major issue and they actually let it get worse than last year.

Mets need an injection of power into their lineup... playing small ball is great but its hard to sustain over 162 games. There are times when you need a few guys to bash a few out of the park to make the game easier, but the Mets only have Alonso and if he's slumping. like he is right now, it's going to be really hard for the team to generate offense. Their other power bats i.e. Dom, JD, McCann and Escobar have been pretty much easy outs outside of a few weeks here and there. As much as people like to bash Lindor, and I agree he's not worth $300mm imagine how bad this offense would be without his RBIs and homers. I hope the Mets can somehow land Contreras without giving too much in prospects. I'd also like the Mets to call up Vientos to play DH and to spell Escobar. I think the mets need at least two power bats before the trade deadline.

The pen was a big concern going into the season and still is at the midway point. There is no bridge to Diaz at all and there are no left hand relievers. Mets need at least 2 arms if not 3. I'm still scratching my head at the situation with the pen... it was fairly obvious this spring that the pen was a major issue and they actually let it get worse than last year.

I don't think they need to go crazy but definitely more power is necessary either from the guys who should be but aren't as well as possibly some help. Curious to see how Alvarez does in Syracuse over the next month.

On the flip side in addition to relief help this staff should be top 7 or 8 in ERA not middle of the pack. Get deGrom back and let's see how things shape up then.

alonso's big issue is that his best hit balls tend to be so flat they put holes in walls without going over.

What should the Mets give up for Trout or Ohtani - or both?

Naturally the Angels will want Alvarez. I think that would be a dumb move.

Alonso and Alvarez for the two of them? DeGrom?

I'd make a lousy GM. I like to hold onto the birds in my hand. But this could be quite an opportunity.

What should the Mets give up for Trout or Ohtani - or both?

Everyone who is not a pitcher... it seems like it's much easier to stock up on field players than pitchers and the Mets don't really have a great track record of developing field positions anyways. Nimmo, Pete and McNeil are the only three position players the team has developed.

Alonso and Alvarez for the two of them? DeGrom?

I'd make a lousy GM. I like to hold onto the birds in my hand. But this could be quite an opportunity.

deGrom and our second or third best prospect for Ohtani? I could possibly roll with that assuming deGrom is thinking he wants out anyways. That keeps the power bat prospect in Alvarez, adds another bat in Ohtani and is a modest replacement in the rotation.

Alonso is putting up equal or better numbers than Trout and is 3 years younger. Ohtani though is interesting.

10-0 after 5. 16 runs in 7 innings since the ump made that call on the ball that went over 3rd base.

Davis hit a grand slam. McCann hit a 3-run shot. Marte has 3 hits and is hitting .295 now. Dom Smith is hitting .400 this month.

10-0 after 5. 16 runs in 7 innings since the ump made that call on the ball that went over 3rd base.

Davis hit a grand slam. McCann hit a 3-run shot. Marte has 3 hits and is hitting .295 now. Dom Smith is hitting .400 this month.

Nice seeing the bats come back to life again. Beat up Castano too who had been pretty good his first 4 starts.

Be nice if the Cardinals could at least take one game from the Braves at least..

My Braves are 2-6 in extra innings. I hate this format and I would even if they did well, to be honest.

My Braves are 2-6 in extra innings. I hate this format and I would even if they did well, to be honest.
The outcomes of extra innings have always been quite random. The new format makes them even more so.

The outcomes of extra innings have always been quite random. The new format makes them even more so.
i believe the Mets are now 6-0 in extra innings so that essentially is the difference between the two teams. That makes me like the new format.

i believe the Mets are now 6-0 in extra innings so that essentially is the difference between the two teams. That makes me like the new format.

I still hate the new format.

So arbitrary. Instead I think they should just come out in the 10th inning and play skeeball until the best score wins.

Agree. We’re talking 8 games here for the Braves so far, so it can make a big difference. But it’s just hard for me to get too worked up when they lose one of these.

I hate the format even more than I hate the Braves (which is pretty strongly.
It’s such a cheap way to win/lose.

They should almost go the hockey system of points, and give a point for an extra inning loss.

It’s such a cheap way to win/lose.

They should almost go the hockey system of points, and give a point for an extra inning loss.
If I had a vote, I would go back to the old ways here. The one thing it has done is reduced the length of extra inning games dramatically. I often get to see the end of extra inning games now that I wouldn’t have before (because I have to get up early for work).

At least doubleheaders games are back to 9 innings now.

If I had a vote, I would go back to the old ways here. The one thing it has done is reduced the length of extra inning games dramatically. I often get to see the end of extra inning games now that I wouldn’t have before (because I have to get up early for work).

At least doubleheaders games are back to 9 innings now.
They absolutely shouldn’t decide playoff games that way, IMO.

For the moment. It's like thinking that the electoral college favors your party because it won you the last election.

How about deciding the game after 9 innings with a home run derby? Each team would have its champion and Pete could be ours! ;):):cool:

Last edited:
Drew Smith has given up 3 home runs in last three appearances.

We're back to oh for (7) RISP.

Another good comeback performance by a starter wasted.

Last edited:
Escobar keeps coming up with a runner on third and less than 2 outs and he keeps putting up awful at bats and failing. He has to be having one of the worst seasons I have ever seen getting a runner home in that situation.

McCann had a couple of big hits recently but other than that, we have been getting nothing from our catches offensively.

I believe Alonso had 69 rbis in the first 73 games. Then nothing since. The streak of games with no rbis is at 10 or 11 games now. He affects to be infected by whatever Escobar has. Takes strikes and swings at awful pitches. No plate discipline. Had that one game where he had 4 hits but is back to struggling again. Would like to see him try and use the whole field more. And please lay off the breaking pitches low and outside of the strike zone.

I don’t want the Mets to trade a top prospect for Contreras. Not with Alvarez so close. I would be looking closely at playing Guillorme at 3B, at least against right handed pitchers. Buck is showing great faith in Escobar. I hope it pays off.