2022 Mets thread | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Another look at the Mets' line-up vs. career norms, this time focusing on home runs, (again too lazy to remove 2022 from career totals):

Pete Alonso has hit 129 home runs in 1,936 career plate appearances and has had 367 plate appearances this season so by his career average, he should have 24 home runs right now. He has 23. I'll record that as: Alonso 129 x 367/1936 = 24HR has: 23. Here's the other key guys in the Mets' line-up, (Nido is not a guy they expected much from so i didn't bother with him.)

Lindor 173 X 379/4413 = 15HR has: 15
Escobar 147 X 336/4606 = 11HR has: 9
Marte 135 X 322/5084 = 9HR has: 9
Nimmo 55 X 348/1694 = 11HR has: 8
Canha 95 X 286/2778 = 10HR has: 6
McCann 77 X 92/2749 = 3HR has: 6
McNeil 41 X 291/1741 = 7HR has: 4
Davis 41 X 191/1110 = 7HR has: 3
Smith 46 X 135/1229 = 5HR has: 0

So, by their career rates, these guys should have hit 102 home runs. They have hit 83. I would rate that as disappointing but not terrible. We're still third in the National League in runs scored (413: the Braves have 417 and the Dodgers 429), but we've had trouble scoring recently and the Braves have been scoring a lot, so we need these guys to show the clout they have through their careers - or maybe get some other guys in a couple of spots.

Breaking down the NL prospects in the Futures Game according to MLB scouts

Catchers​

Francisco Álvarez
20 | New York Mets | Double A/Triple A
72 G, 268/.363/.532, 12 BB%, 24 K%, 17 2B, 0 3B, 18 HR

There is little if any doubt Álvarez will hit in the major leagues. He’s good at adjusting mid-plate appearance. He has strong hands, a fast bat and a swing made to elevate the baseball consistently. (“He has Joey Gallo’s uppercut and loft,” one scout said.) There’s big-time power rearing its head. But scouts think his defense is too far behind his bat to justify calling the Mets’ top prospect to the majors any time soon. Álvarez simply needs more experience behind the dish, where he has potential despite his current lack of polish. Despite his stocky frame, he has a strong arm and is athletic. He’ll get there. One scout remembered watching even Buster Posey struggling behind the plate as a young minor-leaguer. Few doubt he’ll perform. “I will cry,” said a scout, “if he’s not a good big-leaguer.”

The team that hasn't really been hot but keeps winning series won another series. Back to 2 1/2 out which suddenly seems like a lot.

The Braves scored 7 runs from home runs and zero runs any other way. The Mets scored on two doubles, a triple, two fielder's choices and a balk. Oh, and they hit 4 home runs.

Nice victory today. The Mets starters shut down the Braves attack almost completely and they probably would have swept them had it not been for a poor performance by Lugo in game 2.

On to 4 games with the Cubbies at Wrigley and then the all star break.

The Cubs have lost 5 in a row.

The Braves have a similar situation playing at the Nationals.

I like the Mets' chances of being in first at the all star break.

Nice victory today. The Mets starters shut down the Braves attack almost completely and they probably would have swept them had it not been for a poor performance by Lugo in game 2.

Agreed. Great to get the series win at minimum in Atlanta after tying earlier in the year at Citi. Good thing Lindor is getting going power wise at least. Hopefully between the cubbies and the AS break Pete can get back on track.

The All Star break is coming at a good time. The Padres and Yankees are up right away after the break, along with a 5 game series against the Braves. Hopefully deGrom comes back and everyone is in good health and we make a serious run at the division title.

Another look at the Mets' line-up vs. career norms, this time focusing on home runs, (again too lazy to remove 2022 from career totals):

Pete Alonso has hit 129 home runs in 1,936 career plate appearances and has had 367 plate appearances this season so by his career average, he should have 24 home runs right now. He has 23. I'll record that as: Alonso 129 x 367/1936 = 24HR has: 23. Here's the other key guys in the Mets' line-up, (Nido is not a guy they expected much from so i didn't bother with him.)

Lindor 173 X 379/4413 = 15HR has: 15
Escobar 147 X 336/4606 = 11HR has: 9
Marte 135 X 322/5084 = 9HR has: 9
Nimmo 55 X 348/1694 = 11HR has: 8
Canha 95 X 286/2778 = 10HR has: 6
McCann 77 X 92/2749 = 3HR has: 6
McNeil 41 X 291/1741 = 7HR has: 4
Davis 41 X 191/1110 = 7HR has: 3
Smith 46 X 135/1229 = 5HR has: 0

So, by their career rates, these guys should have hit 102 home runs. They have hit 83. I would rate that as disappointing but not terrible. We're still third in the National League in runs scored (413: the Braves have 417 and the Dodgers 429), but we've had trouble scoring recently and the Braves have been scoring a lot, so we need these guys to show the clout they have through their careers - or maybe get some other guys in a couple of spots.

Good stuff. Interesting how despite Pete having 3 RBI in his last 12 games he still sits atop the league. Ramirez, Goldschmidt and Judge also with a fairly dry spell in the same timeframe.

I'm not a Mets fan but I'm a big Buck Showalter fan. As a person he's the real deal. Could you imagine a Mets v Yankees World Series? NYC would levitate.

If we don't have a let-down. I always worry about the first series after a Yankees series and now with us challenging the Braves you've got the same situation. The Mets were determined to make a statement in Atlanta and they did. Now make one in Chicago!

Good stuff. Interesting how despite Pete having 3 RBI in his last 12 games he still sits atop the league. Ramirez, Goldschmidt and Judge also with a fairly dry spell in the same timeframe.

The Mets must have read it. ;)

Rain out today, doubleheader tomorrow.

A rare easy win yesterday. The offense looked good but the Cubs did not have a great starting pitcher and it is pretty easy to score runs at Wrigley.

That was the 13th shutout by the Mets this year. They passed the Yankees to take sole possession in that category. Pretty remarkable.

Nice to get McNeil and Marte back. Marte remains locked in. Seems like everything off his bat right now is a rope.

Somehow Nimmo is suddenly up to 9 HRs. Read he was second in WAR for all NL outfielders. That guy is gonna get paid.

Trevor Williams made a rare appearance as a relief pitcher in a safe situation and he actually got the save. His ERA for the season is now 3.56.

With deGrom presumably returning to the rotation after the all star break, Trevor is probably not going to need to start again anytime soon and we might see him in more high leverage save or hold situations.

Assuming Jake does return to the rotation (I won't believe it until it happens), who leaves the rotation? Do they go with a six man rotation for a while?

Buck has been giving Max an extra day when possible, and has done it with a couple other starters a couple of times as well.

You can't pull Max out.

If deGrom can go, he will be in the rotation. We know that.

Walker has been all star quality. No way he is out.

That leaves Bassitt, Carrasco, and Peterson.

Hard to pull any of them but if they do, I bet it is Peterson. That would at least give Buck a second lefty in the bullpen.

Megill is also expected to be part of the bullpen when he returns, which unfortunately is not expected to be until mid August. He could be special as a relief pitcher. Might be that reliable guy for the 8th inning we have been missing all season.

Add in Ottovino, Smith and Holderman and Lugo (never on consecutive days, only 1 inning from now on), along with Peterson, and Diaz, who has been amazing, and you have what might be a very formidable bullpen.

It is getting interesting. Still really surprised at how poorly JD and Dom have done at the DH spot. Might be their lack of experience filling that role is a big issue. Would have hoped for some improvement by now though.

Nice to see Escobar hitting the ball harder and getting some HRs. Canha and Marte are also getting into the action and Lindor continues to be one of our best clutch hitters.

And Polar Bear might be heating up again now. That would be nice.

Didn't even know this happened:

I've been in an accident when things appeared to slow down and one in which they speeded up. The first one was in mid-winter when I was leaving the old access road to the Penn Can Mall. I could see headlights up ahead but they were headed into my lane. The snowbanks were piled high and there was no place to go and our cars crunched in a fortunately low speed collision in which nobody was injured except the front grill and light of my car. That one was played out in slow motion and yet there was nothing I could do to avoid it. I've also been across the floor in my kitchen when a cabinet shelf full of china collapsed and was unable to get to it. That one was in slow motion, as well.

But I also had an accident in the parking lot at Great Northern years later. There was a pick-up truck with an elevated chassis and a big spare tire parked next to me. I couldn't see to my left. I pulled out slowly when a car I hadn't seen moved past. I jammed on - not the breaks but the accelerator - by accident and T-boned the passing car, which had some kids in the back seat. To my eternal relief, everyone was OK. But that one was on fast forward.

My theory is this: If you want to film action slowed down, you run the camera fast to take more pictures of it with less changes between frames of film, (I'm talking old fashioned technology here). If you want to speed it up, have the camera take fewer pictures and increase the action between the frames of film. when you can see a disaster coming, your brain tells your senses to send whatever information that have on everything that's going on. it gets overloaded and the processing of that information slows down. But if you had no warning of the impending disaster, that process never takes place and your brain never knew what hit it.

Rain out today, doubleheader tomorrow.

A rare easy win yesterday. The offense looked good but the Cubs did not have a great starting pitcher and it is pretty easy to score runs at Wrigley.

That was the 13th shutout by the Mets this year. They passed the Yankees to take sole possession in that category. Pretty remarkable.

Nice to get McNeil and Marte back. Marte remains locked in. Seems like everything off his bat right now is a rope.

Somehow Nimmo is suddenly up to 9 HRs. Read he was second in WAR for all NL outfielders. That guy is gonna get paid.

Trevor Williams made a rare appearance as a relief pitcher in a safe situation and he actually got the save. His ERA for the season is now 3.56.

With deGrom presumably returning to the rotation after the all star break, Trevor is probably not going to need to start again anytime soon and we might see him in more high leverage save or hold situations.

Assuming Jake does return to the rotation (I won't believe it until it happens), who leaves the rotation? Do they go with a six man rotation for a while?

Buck has been giving Max an extra day when possible, and has done it with a couple other starters a couple of times as well.

You can't pull Max out.

If deGrom can go, he will be in the rotation. We know that.

Walker has been all star quality. No way he is out.

That leaves Bassitt, Carrasco, and Peterson.

Hard to pull any of them but if they do, I bet it is Peterson. That would at least give Buck a second lefty in the bullpen.

Megill is also expected to be part of the bullpen when he returns, which unfortunately is not expected to be until mid August. He could be special as a relief pitcher. Might be that reliable guy for the 8th inning we have been missing all season.

Add in Ottovino, Smith and Holderman and Lugo (never on consecutive days, only 1 inning from now on), along with Peterson, and Diaz, who has been amazing, and you have what might be a very formidable bullpen.

It is getting interesting. Still really surprised at how poorly JD and Dom have done at the DH spot. Might be their lack of experience filling that role is a big issue. Would have hoped for some improvement by now though.

Nice to see Escobar hitting the ball harder and getting some HRs. Canha and Marte are also getting into the action and Lindor continues to be one of our best clutch hitters.

And Polar Bear might be heating up again now. That would be nice.

Yeah I'm definitely getting excited for the second half of the season. Getting healthier and they have been solid vs the best in the National League with only San Diego getting us so far in the season series which we can hopefully even up at home.

Any of them. They'd probably be part of the trade.

Given it would be a short term rental I guess it's a worthy play. Nats may want a younger guy vs the current outfield though

Given it would be a short term rental I guess it's a worthy play. Nats may want a younger guy vs the current outfield though
Three year rental, or more accurately two years after this season

That writer is wrong. Soto is a very good player, but when it comes to hitting he isn't Ted Williams. Teddy was the best.

well...Ted isn't available.

Another hard earned gritty victory in a season full of them. Lots of big plays by lots of players.

This team is a joy to watch. It really is.

Tajuan pitched well and gave us 6 innings, but with the game going 11 innings, the bullpen had to cover 5 in the first game.

We are thus short handed for game 2.

No way Ottovino can pitch again today after pitching 2 innings. Trevor pitched 3 2 days ago. Don’t think he in an option.

Lugo pitched an inning in game 1 and I think we have learned using him on consecutive days is a bad idea. Using him twice in one day would likely not end well.

Smith and Diaz both pitched one inning today and possibly could pitch again. Would prefer to avoid this if possible.

Surely Buck is hoping Max can go at least 7 innings, and the Mets can get a decent lead, so he only has to cover 2 innings.

My guess is that in that situation, Hunter would pitch the 8th and Holderman the 9th. If more innings are needed, it will probably be Lopez or Rodriguez. That would be scary.

Medina has been sent down and is not an option.

Another hard earned gritty victory in a season full of them. Lots of big plays by lots of players.

Tajuan pitched well and gave us 6 innings, but with the game going 11 innings, the bullpen had to cover 5 in the first game.

No way Ottovino can pitch again today after pitching 2 innings. Trevor pitched 3 2 days ago. Don’t think he in an option.

Lugo pitched an inning in game 1 and I think we have learned using him on consecutive days is a bad idea. Using him twice in one day would likely not end well.

Smith and Diaz both pitched one inning today and possibly could pitch again. Would prefer to avoid this if possible.

Surely Buck is hoping Max can go at least 7 innings, and the Mets can get a decent lead, so he only has to cover 2 innings.

My guess is that in that situation, Hunter would pitch the 8th and Holderman the 9th. If more innings are needed, it will probably be Lopez or Rodriguez. That would be scary.

I'm still waiting for things to get easy, as they seem to be for the Braves - when they aren't playing us. Of course, the playoffs aren't going to be easy, so maybe this is better preparation for them.

Last edited:

Let's do it again!