2022 Mets thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Definitely up and down. Really like Buck used the DH option for him. So far only he and Alonso have yet to have a day off though as well.

I thought we were getting a defensive whiz. Now we have a DH?

Liking what I've seen so far. Not to nitpick, but Lindor's throws have been pretty erratic lately.
I was surprised and disappointed when I saw Lindor's arm early last season. Really was the first time I saw him play and it was clear he did not have a strong arm.

Was hoping he was nursing an injury or soreness from spring training.

It never changed last season and it hasn't changed this year either.

How did he get gold gloves throwing like this? He can't throw a guy out when he has to go to the 3rd base side and back hand it. At least his range and glove are generally good (but not gold glove level good).

I made that point when the trade happened.. I dont see gold glove guy.. I see solid glove, below avg arm and a good leader perhaps, who has a good bat at times. If he does this for 4-5-6 years its an ok trade. down the road he is athletic enough he could probably play some left field or 2nd base if he can still hit ok.

I thought we were getting a defensive whiz. Now we have a DH?

I hear you. In fairness at least the team defense has been better so far. We sit 6th in FP currently and we were dead last through 14 games last year while finishing 25th. Same rank in DPs a game currently as where we finished.

Pair that with league ranks of second in pitching and third in hitting and that is a good formula if we can stick with.

I've been impressed with Escobars defense and Alonso has done well at first so far.

It was the kind of game other Mets teams would have lost.

McCann's homer went 452 feet - his longest ever. It gave the Mets a 5-1 lead in the top of the 7th. Schreve had his first bad outing, getting one out and giving up two singles and a sac fly to make it 5-2. Trevor May struck out two guys in the 8th but also gave up a double and a 351-foot homer on what was actually a good pitch - up and in but Walker got around on it and deposited it just inside the foul pole to make it 5-4. Diaz's slider looked great getting two outs and two strikes in the 9th before he hung one to Varsho and Marte's leaping attempt came up empty at the fence in the right field corner. Diaz struck out the next guy, but the game was tied.

In the 10th, McNeil, the 'free-runner' had to stay at third Nimmo's grounder was bobbled by the shortstop, who got the out at first. He then scored when Marte beat out a grounder. He was called out and I thought he was. At least there didn't seem enough to overturn it, but the Mets won the replay call to take a 6-5 lead. In the bottom of the 10th, Lugo had his 2019 curve ball and used it to strike out the first two guys. The D-backs were again down to their last strike when Davidson worked a walk and Walker, the guy who had hit the homer off of May, blooped one to center. McNeill barely out-ran it and turned just in time to make the catch and fall flat on his face in celebration.

11-4, baby!

It was the kind of game other Mets teams would have lost.

McCann's homer went 452 feet - his longest ever. It gave the Mets a 5-1 lead in the top of the 7th. Schreve had his first bad outing, getting one out and giving up two singles and a sac fly to make it 5-2. Trevor May struck out two guys in the 8th but also gave up a double and a 351-foot homer on what was actually a good pitch - up and in but Walker got around on it and deposited it just inside the foul pole to make it 5-4. Diaz's slider looked great getting two outs and two strikes in the 9th before he hung one to Varsho and Marte's leaping attempt came up empty at the fence in the right field corner. Diaz struck out the next guy, but the game was tied.

In the 10th, McNeil, the 'free-runner' had to stay at third Nimmo's grounder was bobbled by the shortstop, who got the out at first. He then scored when Marte beat out a grounder. He was called out and I thought he was. At least there didn't seem enough to overturn it, but the Mets won the replay call to take a 6-5 lead. In the bottom of the 10th, Lugo had his 2019 curve ball and used it to strike out the first two guys. The D-backs were again down to their last strike when Davidson worked a walk and Walker, the guy who had hit the homer off of May, blooped one to center. McNeill barely out-ran it and turned just in time to make the catch and fall flat on his face in celebration.

11-4, baby!
Another good day. Solid outing by Peterson.

The Mets are starting Trevor Williams today. With deGrom and Walker hurt, already have their 6th and 7th starters in the rotation

Would surely have had Luchessi get a start before Williams but he had Tommy Johj surgery and is out until late this season (at the earliest).

So Williams is our 9th best starting pitcher. Lack of starting pitching depth has really hurt the team in recent years. Nice to have some depth but alarming to be at the 9th option in April.

Walker is supposed to be back next week and the Williams start was driven by the doubleheader. So with any luck, the Williams start will be a one off.

Hope he comes through as well as the other backups….

without the rain out we would have been fine in the rotation. but tough to be digging so deep so early. we should be ok soon though. Peterson pitching well may also help them to decide to let walker make his rehab start and get some innings in before he comes back. it would be really good if it worked out he could get 2 in before coming back and they have to cut 2 pitchers to get back to 13 on May 1st. Might have to be Peterson since he has options left. who they gonna keep/cut/option out.

foley/rodriguez/Otta/peterson most likely have to lose 2 of them and then another when Jake comes back.

almost has to be Peterson when Walker comes back I think

without the rain out we would have been fine in the rotation. but tough to be digging so deep so early. we should be ok soon though. Peterson pitching well may also help them to decide to let walker make his rehab start and get some innings in before he comes back. it would be really good if it worked out he could get 2 in before coming back and they have to cut 2 pitchers to get back to 13 on May 1st. Might have to be Peterson since he has options left. who they gonna keep/cut/option out.

foley/rodriguez/Otta/peterson most likely have to lose 2 of them and then another when Jake comes back.

almost has to be Peterson when Walker comes back I think
I would dump Foley. He has good spin rates but bad control and gets rocked a lot. Use Peterson and Walker as a tandem when Walker gets back. It will be a while before he gets stretched out and maybe it is a good idea to limit him to 4 or 5 innings for a while to try and keep Walker healthy.

Does Jankowski have options? You have McNeil, Smith and Davis, who all can play outfield.

I would dump Foley. He has good spin rates but bad control and gets rocked a lot. Use Peterson and Walker as a tandem when Walker gets back. It will be a while before he gets stretched out and maybe it is a good idea to limit him to 4 or 5 innings for a while to try and keep Walker healthy.

Does Jankowski have options? You have McNeil, Smith and Davis, who all can play outfield.
I really like jankowski for his speed and defense. He's the perfect 25th guy on a roster.

i think i heard them say be does..

Buck loves him. I don't think he's going anywhere.
Well, they need relief pitchers for the Williams start today so they sent Peterson down and called up a relief pitcher.

We might be able to see Peterson pitch a start or two in Syracuse. That would be cool.

Well, they need relief pitchers for the Williams start today so they sent Peterson down and called up a relief pitcher.

We might be able to see Peterson pitch a start or two in Syracuse. That would be cool.

They might still need Peterson:

he will be back in early may when they next need to fill the hole.. i think its like may 4-5-6.. so we will get at least 1 start in syracuse

I'm learning a new word. Gary Cohen just said that the Mets coaches, (don't recall if he said which one), told him that two Mets who looked to be "hitterish", meaning ready to break out of their slump were James McCann and JD Davis. McCann has a way to go (his batting average is still a non-hitterish .129 as I type this), but JD had a big day today, scoring twice and hitting a home run. He's now batting .261.

davis getting some reg time has usually hit decently enough.. Dom is the one really struggling.. Pete is up and down but while getting Rbis is really not hitting the ball very hard that often. Mccann/Nimo you just hope they get a hit every other day between them at this point

davis getting some reg time has usually hit decently enough.. Dom is the one really struggling.. Pete is up and down but while getting Rbis is really not hitting the ball very hard that often. Mccann/Nimo you just hope they get a hit every other day between them at this point

Truth here.. also they sit first in the league in hits and tied for second in RBIs.

Truth here.. also they sit first in the league in hits and tied for second in RBIs.
Last I knew, they were leading the league in on base percentage. That might be the biggest strength of this team.

And they are, unbelieveably, tied for 3rd in the league in stolen bases. We have had a very slow team for a long time. Over the winter, this issue was addressed.

Megill continues to impress. They showed film of him on the broadcast today from last year and this year, pointing out how much better his mechanics are this season. His fastball has gone from around 94 mph to around 97. And his control has also improved. It appears Hefner is doing a good job with the pitchers so far.

Last I knew, they were leading the league in on base percentage. That might be the biggest strength of this team.

And they are, unbelieveably, tied for 3rd in the league in stolen bases. We have had a very slow team for a long time. Over the winter, this issue was addressed.

Megill continues to impress. They showed film of him on the broadcast today from last year and this year, pointing out how much better his mechanics are this season. His fastball has gone from around 94 mph to around 97. And his control has also improved. It appears Hefner is doing a good job with the pitchers so far.
wish someone would do that for my golf swing.. add 4-5% mph would be nice..