2022 Mets thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Marte looks good. Great pickup. He was nice for the Pirates for a number of years.

If they can deGrom healthy and the bullpen can be even average this is a playoff team.

Agreed. Good pitching, speed, contact power and a bench all showing up so far. Starter depth looking good early too.

Alonso had 2 rbis on 1 official at bat with no hits and only 1 walk. That must be pretty rare.

Alonso had 2 rbis on 1 official at bat with no hits and only 1 walk. That must be pretty rare.

Two runs scored on a foul out and a sac fly. I didn't know you could get an RBI on a foul out.

It's goes as a sac fly.
I've felt for years that base runner shouldn't be able to advance on a foul ball. They can't if it's a grounder and it makes it a bad thing to catch a foul ball. An RBI rewards a batter for a foul ball!

I've felt for years that base runner shouldn't be able to advance on a foul ball. They can't if it's a grounder and it makes it a bad thing to catch a foul ball. An RBI rewards a batter for a foul ball!
Just more quirkiness, which is a big part of baseball. The fielder could always choose to let the ball drop, which might be appropriate if the game was on the line, and it was apparent there was no way to throw out the runner.

Just more quirkiness, which is a big part of baseball. The fielder could always choose to let the ball drop, which might be appropriate if the game was on the line, and it was apparent there was no way to throw out the runner.
I don't like anything that makes it a good play not to catch the ball. I remember a Syracuse Chiefs game years ago where a guy made a great, tumbling catch to the cheers of the crowd, but a guy tagged up from third to score the winning run. The ball was barely foul, and the player was criticized for making a great catch. It shouldn't be that way.

I don't like anything that makes it a good play not to catch the ball. I remember a Syracuse Chiefs game years ago where a guy made a great, tumbling catch to the cheers of the crowd, but a guy tagged up from third to score the winning run. The ball was barely foul, and the player was criticized for making a great catch. It shouldn't be that way.
I get you, but to me it's just part of the game. How about a pitcher opting to not field a comebacker because he believes his infielders will have a better chance to turn a double play and get him out of the inning?

I get you, but to me it's just part of the game. How about a pitcher opting to not field a comebacker because he believes his infielders will have a better chance to turn a double play and get him out of the inning?

At least that's a fair ball.

the mets need Lugo to be Lugo... They keep throwing him out there thinking he is the guy from 2 yrs ago.. but he hasnt had control for awhile now.. if he shuts them down Monday all is fine. one good outing and one bad one so far.. really wish they had found a way to keep loup

Lugo faced six batters today three of them got on and two of them scored. His ERA is 8.31 but Rodriguez's is 13.50.

Lugo faced six batters today three of them got on and two of them scored. His ERA is 8.31 but Rodriguez's is 13.50.

Lugo is tossing up meatballs. At least Rodriguez is a decent option vs lefties. Sad to lose at home vs the Dbacks.

but thats on the coach.. he did his job, got an inning, left 1 guy on and Lugo gives up 2 run homer so his ERA is 9 for the game but he retired 3 of the 4 he saw.. that has happened a couple times for him already.. stop throwing him out there for a 2nd inning

lugo is coming in an giving up 2run homers that cant happen if he is your guy to get you to the closer.

This bullpen is beyond bad.

Two runs isn't enough but the bullpen has performed poorly in each of our three losses. Our starters have an ERA of 1.71 and that's with DeGrom and Walker out and Scherzer mediocre so far. Yet they want to go into the bullpen in the 6th inning! Why?

Last edited:
Two runs isn't enough but the bullpen has performed poorly in each of our three losses. Our starters have an ERA of 1.72 and that's with DeGrom and Walker out and Scherzer mediocre so far. Yet they want to go into the bullpen in the 6th inning! Why?
I love buck and I get its early but taking carrasco out after 80 pitches is dumb.

Two runs isn't enough but the bullpen has performed poorly in each of our three losses. Our starters have an ERA of 1.72 and that's with DeGrom and Walker out and Scherzer mediocre so far. Yet they want to go into the bullpen in the 6th inning! Why?
Clearly they don’t want their starters to go through the lineup a 3rd time. This seems to be a common trend in mlb for better or worse. Makes their lack of investment in the bullpen even more inexcusable and baffling.

I love buck and I get its early but taking carrasco out after 80 pitches is dumb.
the guy had a limit of like 50 pitches just last week.. he barely had a spring training again.. in a normal year this would have been his next to last ST start building it up.. you dont just jump into throwing 100 pitches and he had a couple pretty stressful innings on top of that.

the guy had a limit of like 50 pitches just last week.. he barely had a spring training again.. in a normal year this would have been his next to last ST start building it up.. you dont just jump into throwing 100 pitches and he had a couple pretty stressful innings on top of that.
That's fair.

the appeal play by JD was classic.. we used that so many times in HS to take away appeals. but also many umps ignore the rule..

The stupid thing is so many teams dont just appeal before the timeout is called and eliminate all the mistakes by pitchers on that play...

Also I think in HS and other levels its not even a play any more, you just ask.

the appeal play by JD was classic.. we used that so many times in HS to take away appeals. but also many umps ignore the rule..

The stupid thing is so many teams dont just appeal before the timeout is called and eliminate all the mistakes by pitchers on that play...

Also I think in HS and other levels its not even a play any more, you just ask.
That's all Buck. There isn't a situation in baseball this guy isn't prepared for.

Impressive double header sweep today coming back on one of the best bullpens in the league while our own shut out a team with a ton of come from behind wins last yest.

Love to not have a drop off and at least win this series, smoke the dbacks and then really get rolling.