2022 PGA Tour | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

great opinion piece on Washington Post about the players that have joined the LIV. It's behind a paywall but here is the pertinent part of it:

"Put aside for a minute Mickelson and Johnson, LIV’s two biggest stars. Take, Na, a 38-year-old five-time winner on the PGA Tour who is best known for on-course quirks — extraordinarily slow play that draws ire, a tendency to walk in his putts that seems fun. In signing on with LIV for some undisclosed, guaranteed sum, and then playing eight 54-hole tournaments with $225 million in prize money, does Na ever think, “Am I really worth this much? Why does this tour think I am?”

Dig a little deeper down that rabbit hole. It might get scary. The LIV series has no international television contract to pump money into the purses. It can’t make $225 million from ticket sales for eight events. Sponsors are dropping players who sign up — RBC severed its relationships with Johnson and McDowell, for instance. All the cash comes from the Public Investment Fund, which bills itself as a sovereign wealth fund based in Saudi Arabia. Sovereign, huh? Its chairman is none other than Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi crown prince who the CIA concluded ordered Khashoggi’s murder.

From a financial standpoint, this isn’t a moneymaker for the Saudis. So Na — or McDowell, a 42-year-old Northern Irishman who once won the U.S. Open, or Talor Gooch, a 30-year-old Oklahoman who has a single PGA Tour victory — would do well to ask themselves, “Why are they willing to lose so much money on this? What are they buying?”

The answer: They’re buying your reputation.

Take the check. Read up on the Saudi record on human rights. Now put your head on your pillow."

a little bit more from above link:

"Now, there is some merit behind Mickelson’s thinking about the limits the PGA Tour puts on its players. At this point in his career, Mickelson’s name has actual value. He is a six-time major champion, charismatic and creative. A tournament with the 51-year-old Mickelson in the field is simply more attractive than a tournament he skips. That’s true for fans who might buy a ticket and fans who are home on the couch.

Golfers — particularly those as established and popular as Mickelson — could reasonably look at established and popular athletes in other sports and wonder why they don’t have the same guarantees. The PGA Tour has long prohibited appearance fees — cash to players just for showing up. It’s not crazy for a player to think, “But I’m worth something here.

a little bit more from above link:

"Now, there is some merit behind Mickelson’s thinking about the limits the PGA Tour puts on its players. At this point in his career, Mickelson’s name has actual value. He is a six-time major champion, charismatic and creative. A tournament with the 51-year-old Mickelson in the field is simply more attractive than a tournament he skips. That’s true for fans who might buy a ticket and fans who are home on the couch.

Golfers — particularly those as established and popular as Mickelson — could reasonably look at established and popular athletes in other sports and wonder why they don’t have the same guarantees. The PGA Tour has long prohibited appearance fees — cash to players just for showing up. It’s not crazy for a player to think, “But I’m worth something here.
But it's not just Mickelson. It's Mickelson playing against the world's best. I don't think Mickelson playing against Kevin Na is going to draw flies. What was that mess Csonka signed up for? Was it the World Football League? No one paid to just see Ismail and Csonka to play against a bunch of clowns.

If Saudi money can pull a dozen young guns out of the PGA then they might have something. The group they have now would attract a nice crowd to a Tuesday afternoon exhibition foursome at Drumlins. That's not even taking into account the Saudis are about as popular as Covid.

The dominoes continue to fall.

The dominoes continue to fall.

They're picking off the most polarizing players in golf.

Phil looks crazed.
4-5frjntUrtH9Z6ELQl3EtYfaj9N00PHq6HzblOr_Mg.jpg

imagine if the Saudi decided to throw 10 billion at a the nfl play 8 game seasons and the like.. how many players would jump.. its all well and good but unless they keep getting new players to jump every year who wants to see those 40 guys play the current tour has 200+ and guys have other tours to show they are good enough to move in.. this model does nothing but kill all those building blocks in the long run unless they want to just throw more money at it and they can never make money with the model they have it will have to be self financed to pay that kind of money.

One of the biggest threats to the PGA tour’s continued success and ability to hold off LIV is going to be the young folks just out of college.

They currently offer KFT membership to the top-5 collegiate golfers, and third tier status (Latin America, Canada, etc…) to another 10-15.

These new kids struggle for a couple of years before they reach the main tour. If LIV offers every 1st and 2nd team All-American $10 million to sign on, many will take it. Hell, Anthony Kim reportedly took $10 million to never pick up a club again, and this was when he was a top-earner (albeit injured).

The tour needs to havea heart-to-heart with the rank and file (think Scott Stallings, JJ Henry, etc…) and cut the exemption list from 125 to 115, offer the top-10 college kids exempt status starting June 1 each year, and KFT status to the next 10.

Just my $.02

Obviously these pressers were going to be tough, but do any of these players invest in anyone who can possibly prep them with some sort of answer?
If you need to pay someone to tell you how to answer that question, you probably should never have contact with any journalist.

Only an idiot would make that comparison

when the PGA, it’s members, and by extension it’s media lackeys, cut ties with the PRC, then they might have some standing to look down on anyone else.

I hope I never go to KSA again, I didn’t like it, but comparing ksa to Russia and mbs to Putin is absurd .

Only an idiot would make that comparison

when the PGA, it’s members, and by extension it’s media lackeys, cut ties with the PRC, then they might have some standing to look down on anyone else.

I hope I never go to KSA again, I didn’t like it, but comparing ksa to Russia and mbs to Putin is absurd .

Then why couldn’t they just answer the question and say, yes, there are some places I wouldn’t play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom