2022 PGA Tour | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

As I am going to the RBC Canadian Open next week at St. George's in Toronto disappointed that he made this decision.

RBC is one of his primary sponsors and he screwed them over. RBC, as his sponsor, cannot be happy 1) that he pulled out late after committing, and 2) that he is probably the largest figure supporting the LIV tour.

Still a solid field that has committed so far - McIlroy, Smith, Scheffler, Thomas. Add the Canadians who as a group are probably in the best standing ever heading into this.

Yes, it sucks but who knows if he would even make the cut with the way he has been playing. But it is an insult to his sponsor, plus his new father-in-law is one of the most well-known Canadians alive. Unless the Gretzky's don't spend any time in Ontario anymore.

None of the names on the list are making anyone tune in. I'm sure Phil will take one of the remaining spots which will draw interest the first event.

So the PGA has no control over the major championships? Once players find out they can play in those without a penalty people will be chasing the Saudi money at a record pace. The PGA, the players, and everyone involved is only concerned about their bottom line - i guess except for the Saudi investors as I see no path to them making money.

So the PGA has no control over the major championships? Once players find out they can play in those without a penalty people will be chasing the Saudi money at a record pace. The PGA, the players, and everyone involved is only concerned about their bottom line - i guess except for the Saudi investors as I see no path to them making money.
They have control over the PGA Championship. And they have some control over who participates in the other majors as eligibility is in part based on success on the Tour.

But you're right. They don't run the other three majors.

They have control over the PGA Championship. And they have some control over who participates in the other majors as eligibility is in part based on success on the Tour.

But you're right. They don't run the other three majors.

I thought the PGA championship is run by the PGA of America, which is not the same as the PGA tour. But perhaps I am wrong.

My understanding has been that the PGA Tour does not own/control any of the majors, which is why they have pushed The Players so hard as the "Fifth Major", since that is owned by the tour. And they may be able to bar players from that.

The other interesting one is the 4 World Golf Championship Events which are largely selected based on World Rankings. and have very strong fields. They are not owned by the PGA, but instead are owned by the International Federation of PGA tours. I don't think players could be stopped from entering those if they meet the world ranking requirements.

While all the majors (except the British I believe) do give spots to the top 30 on tour, or tour winners, the largest determinant of the fields in all the majors and WGC events is world golf rankings.

The weak fields at first could hurt the ranking points earned from LIV events, but once they gain a few more top players in 48 man fields, that could take care of itself. If the top players can play in the 4 majors, the 4 WGC's, and perhaps some top Euro events their rankings will generally be maintained.

I would argue that as of now the PGA Tour has very little control over the fields of any of the majors or the WGC's. But they could try to use their influence to get the controlling parties of those events to bar certain players - not sure if it would be successful but it might.

Last edited:
I thought the PGA championship is run by the PGA of America, which is not the same as the PGA tour. But perhaps I am wrong.

My understanding has been that the PGA Tour does not own/control any of the majors, which is why they have pushed The Players so hard as the "Fifth Major", since that is owned by the tour. And they may be able to bar players from that.

The other interesting one is the 4 World Golf Championship Events which are largely selected based on World Rankings. and have very strong fields. They are not owned by the PGA, but instead are owned by the International Federation of PGA tours. I don't think players could be stopped from entering those if they meet the world ranking requirements.

While all the majors (except the British I believe) do give spots to the top 30 on tour, or tour winners, the largest determinant of the fields in all the majors and WGC events is world golf rankings.

The weak fields at first could hurt the ranking points earned from LIV events, but once they gain a few more top players in 48 man fields, that could take care of itself. If the top players can play in the 4 majors, the 4 WGC's, and perhaps some top Euro events their rankings will generally be maintained.

I would argue that as of now the PGA Tour has very little control over the fields of any of the majors or the WGC's. But they could try to use their influence to get the controlling parties of those events to bar certain players - not sure if it would be successful but it might.
I think this is right and I think the PGA Tour is heading at the same train that ran over the NCAA - arrogant people who think they are bullet proof.

All the hand wringing over the Saudis while ignoring the PGA and their relationship with China is funny.

$200 million, guaranteed. A lot of these guys on the back nine of their careers are going to cash in.
Not really a golf fan, but I’m curious to see what socially conscious companies like Nike do when the guys they sponsor decide to make this switch. I guess the money the LIV tour is paying will offset. But the younger guys have to think the long game.

Is it possible that some of our top golfers are jerks?
Mickelson and Johnson always struck me as dumb jocks, particularly Mickelson.

Now they've sold their reputations. Just now, on the Washington Post message boards they are being thoroughly trashed.

Not really a golf fan, but I’m curious to see what socially conscious companies like Nike do when the guys they sponsor decide to make this switch. I guess the money the LIV tour is paying will offset. But the younger guys have to think the long game.
Phil already lost some sponsorships after he made his initial controversial remarks. It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom