2022 PGA Tour | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

That chip/bump by Pereira on the 10th hole was unbelievable.
The balls to take a swing like that.

Pereia's 18th almost brings up the 'V' word:

I don't understand the preference for a three hole "aggregate" playoff vs. a one-hole, (really 'sudden death') playoff. What's the difference between winning a tournament on the 72nd hole and winning it on the 73rd hole? Playing 76 holes doesn't produce a more deserving champion. And if they are tied after three holes, it doesn't produce a champion - and the sun's going down. Just go back to the first hole, (the tee for which figures to be nearby) and play until somebody wins a hole outright.

That chip/bump by Pereira on the 10th hole was unbelievable.
The balls to take a swing like that.

In hindsight that chip was prophetic. He really should not have taken that shot on... even if he pulled it off.

On the 17th, up 1 he goes for the green unnecessarily... but he gets away with it and avoids water by about a dozen feet.

On the 18th, up 1 he takes out the driver for no logical reason... and he does not get away with it.

Afterwards when interviewing with Balionis, he says "I needed a few more birdies today". What you needed was a few more pars, slapnuts.

I don't understand the preference for a three hole "aggregate" playoff vs. a one-hole, (really 'sudden death') playoff. What's the difference between winning a tournament on the 72nd hole and winning it on the 73rd hole? Playing 76 holes doesn't produce a more deserving champion. And if they are tied after three holes, it doesn't produce a champion - and the sun's going down. Just go back to the first hole, (the tee for which figures to be nearby) and play until somebody wins a hole outright.
I liked it in this case. You had the reachable par 5, the reachable par 4, and the diabolical 18th. Three of the signature holes on the course.

I prefer that to the format where they play the same, often undistinguished hole, over and over again.

I prefer the 3 hole, but I see your point.

That being said there is a reason they almost always replay the 18th and not the first. Its because all the fans are already set up around the 18th. Its much more easier to move a few players with carts, then moving all the fans.

So, we can agree that both of them have had guys come out of nowhere. Pro golfers surprise me many times, but the conditions look like it might lead to a winning score of like -7 or -8. If that's the case, then I think there is a good chance a not as highly rated golfer is up near the top of the leaderboard. But we will see.
If you had asked me Wednesday, this morning or this afternoon when the leaders were making the turn that I could have fathom the ending unfolding as it did, I would say no way. Obviously when the top four are guys who have never won a PGA tournament, let alone a major, anything can happen, and a winning score of -5 shouldn't surprise but each of the four had one or two holes that directly hurt them. Congrats to JT. Got hot at the right time and you knew he wasn't going to lose that playoff. Pereira, Zalatoris, Young and Fitzpatrick are all great young golfers who should all win multiple times. Once they win, they will keep winning.

It did bring up the V memory for me! As far as the 3 hole playoff, I don't feel that strongly about it either way. But I do like that one bad shot probably won't kill you. I think it's a nice mix of sudden death and the 18 holes the US Open does, which I feel is completely unnecessary

It did bring up the V memory for me! As far as the 3 hole playoff, I don't feel that strongly about it either way. But I do like that one bad shot probably won't kill you. I think it's a nice mix of sudden death and the 18 holes the US Open does, which I feel is completely unnecessary
The USGA has 2-hole playoffs now.

Masters: 1 hole
US Open: 2 holes
PGA: 3 holes
Open: 4 holes

The USGA has 2-hole playoffs now.

Masters: 1 hole
US Open: 2 holes
PGA: 3 holes
Open: 4 holes
Interesting. I missed that change. I like that much better than 18.

I'm shocked that Rory flamed out (what's the sarcasm font again).
1653286172425.jpeg

Thinking that as well, although Phil at 2006 US Open is a more apt comparison. JVV is in whole other tier due to the larger lead. That Frenchman could've done a Tin Cup and only used a 7 iron on 18 and still won that Open Championship.

In hindsight that chip was prophetic. He really should not have taken that shot on... even if he pulled it off.

On the 17th, up 1 he goes for the green unnecessarily... but he gets away with it and avoids water by about a dozen feet.

On the 18th, up 1 he takes out the driver for no logical reason... and he does not get away with it.

Afterwards when interviewing with Balionis, he says "I needed a few more birdies today". What you needed was a few more pars, slapnuts.
I was in a poker room so no sound on the TV's. Did his caddy try to talk him out of driver?

Thinking that as well, although Phil at 2006 US Open is a more apt comparison. JVV is in whole other tier due to the larger lead. That Frenchman could've done a Tin Cup and only used a 7 iron on 18 and still won that Open Championship.

That was great. I've always thought it would be fun to have event where the golfers had to play the whole course with one club of their choice. Who would win and which club would they choose?

That was great. I've always thought it would be fun to have event where the golfers had to play the whole course with one club of their choice. Who would win and which club would they choose?
I think a lot of these guys would choose a six or seven iron, which they could hit a long way off the tee and from the fairway, hit into most par 3s, and comfortably use in the short game and for putting. I have no idea who would win, but a player with great touch and imagination, like Justin Thomas, would probably do well.

Does anybody want to win this week?
The leaders are all gasping to some degree on the back nine.

Varner had the worst stretch of the bunch. At -10 after hole 11 (and in a tie for the lead) he proceeds to go +9 over the next 6 holes.

1653862731848.png

As I am going to the RBC Canadian Open next week at St. George's in Toronto disappointed that he made this decision.

RBC is one of his primary sponsors and he screwed them over. RBC, as his sponsor, cannot be happy 1) that he pulled out late after committing, and 2) that he is probably the largest figure supporting the LIV tour.

Still a solid field that has committed so far - McIlroy, Smith, Scheffler, Thomas. Add the Canadians who as a group are probably in the best standing ever heading into this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom